User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:40   #1
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Grammar Question

What would be the best way of saying what I'm trying to say here:

"All the software contained on these CDs is freely distributable under the terms of each software’s licence"

I can't figure it out

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:50   #2
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
The grammar's fine. It's a question of eloquence.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:52   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Grammar Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
What would be the best way of saying what I'm trying to say here:

"All the software contained on these CDs is freely distributable under the terms of each software’s licence"

I can't figure it out
All software contained on these CD's can be freely distributed under it's respective licence.
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:55   #4
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Thanks

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:55   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Edited it, made a small mistake myself as well
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 23:58   #6
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

I noticed that one

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 00:02   #7
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Grammar Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
All software contained on these CD's can be freely distributed under it's respective licence.
All software contained on these CD's may be freely distributed under their respective licences.
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 00:53   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Grammar Question

The software is certainly divided into packages, hence:

Each software package contained on these CDs is freely distributable under the terms of its respective license, to be found under .....
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 03:23   #9
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
People who use apostrophes to signify plurality piss me off.

Even if they are Leshy.
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 03:34   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
hi iniluki, how are you?
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 09:35   #11
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
All the software contained on these CDs can be pimped on KaZaa
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 12:41   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
People who use apostrophes to signify plurality piss me off.
Ah, bugger, missed that one. CD's is correct in Dutch, not in English.

So it'd be: "All software contained on these CDs may be freely distributed under its respective license."
Quote:
Even if they are Leshy.

Last edited by Leshy; 15 Feb 2003 at 15:10.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 14:48   #13
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
LOL, awww Leshy. It's = 'it is'.

How do apostrophes work in Dutch? I'm curious.
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 14:50   #14
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Texan's description appears to be the correct one.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 15:09   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
Texan's description appears to be the correct one.
Software isn't plural, afaik.
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 15:12   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
LOL, awww Leshy. It's = 'it is'.
Bugger. I really should pay more attention (thanks for the correction though!)
Quote:
How do apostrophes work in Dutch? I'm curious.
Much like anything else in the dutch language. Mostly random
Unread 16 Feb 2003, 00:46   #17
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
In this case software is plural. Think about sheep.

The sheep has white fleece; however, its eyes are brown.

The sheep have white fleece; however, their eyes are brown.

I'm a copyeditor.

Thanks, Kura. We finally agreed on something.
Unread 16 Feb 2003, 01:02   #18
queball
Ball

Quote:
It's an uncountable noun. To say that some software has one associated license, you need to qualify it with "this software", "piece of software", "software package", or whatever.
Unread 16 Feb 2003, 01:13   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
In this case software is plural.
I thought software couldn't be used in a plural form as such, eg: Almost all software on KaZaA are illegal, but all software on my PC were paid for. Both parts of this sentence are incorrect, as they should read: Almost all software on KaZaA is illegal, but all software on my PC was paid for.
Quote:
Think about sheep.
Sheep is not an uncountable noun.
Unread 16 Feb 2003, 01:51   #20
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
I thought software couldn't be used in a plural form as such, eg: Almost all software on KaZaA are illegal, but all software on my PC were paid for. Both parts of this sentence are incorrect, as they should read: Almost all software on KaZaA is illegal, but all software on my PC was paid for.
Sheep is not an uncountable noun.
You could be right. I certainly don't get paid enough for what I do, which probably means I don't do it very well. I still think my sentence way up at the top sounds good.

1. All software contained on these CD's may be freely distributed under their respective licences.
2. All may be freely distributed under their respective licences.
3. All software packages contained on these CD's may be freely distributed under their respective licences.

1. My original sentence.
2. What I was thinking.
3. Best choice using queball's input

I don't have my handy, dandy references here at home to check what the rules say. When I am at work, I rarely change something unless I can prove I am right, "by the book."

This is a fun thread. Not like those war ones.