User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jan 2003, 06:15   #1
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommend a decent computer game.

It is 5:14am. I will be going out at 11am.

I need a new computer game (PC), I have notrhing to play and i'm getting bored.

My net connection is ****e so it needs to be somthing i can play for a while on one player.

I dont want another first person shooter.

I have a load of games but none that have been released in the last year or so.

Last edited by Xillah; 10 Jan 2003 at 06:20.
Xillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 06:28   #2
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
What types of games do you Prefer?

Fear the Bunny
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 06:30   #3
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if you had a Macintosh I would recommend the Escape Velocity series by Ambrosia which is considered the best single player game series by both PC and Mac gamers alike. So much that Ambrosia finally caved in as in porting the latest EV (Escape Velocity Nova) to Windows.

But since your on a time limit I would recommend WarCraft III, it is a very nice game which has a very intricate Single Player mode, as well as skirmish if you want to play against comps offline. When you get a better connection, free access to Battle.net will be treasured. It is a Real-Time Strategy. That said, if you don't already have Grand Theft Auto 3 for your PC (and not your PS2) then you should get since Vice City wont be coming out for the computer.

Beyond that my last recommendation would be Star Wars Galaxies or Age of Mythology. Though that Impossible Creatures game coming out soon looks cool.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 07:20   #4
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Heros of Might and Magic IV or III... but IV is more interesting i think
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 07:22   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
hi
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 07:25   #6
Aryn
Happy

i'm alright.. thinkin about goin to bed soon.. you?
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 07:31   #7
Aryn
Happy

hehe
what movie?

tis 10:30pm here.. prolly won't go to bed til around 11. doctor's appt. around 11:30am, and school at 1pm :\

your day sounds more fun
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 07:39   #8
Aryn
Happy

awww.. lucky you :P

btw.. james bond was good (if you like girls, cars, and explosions :P)
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 08:33   #9
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's the games currently sitting in a stack by my computer:
WarCraft III
GTA III
Civ III: Play The World
Risk
Pharoh & Cleopatra

It's damn tough trying to play 5 games at once

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 08:38   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
pong3D...

(see sig, for current distribution)
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 08:39   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
atari tennis (the 1979 version)
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:02   #12
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
MAFIA
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:03   #13
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Etherlords!
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:14   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
pong3D...

It's cool

But 11fps on an athlon 1800 is not cool, even if I do only have a voodoo 3 3000
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:19   #15
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Neverwinter Nights
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:23   #16
Curufinwe
[+] Templar

Curufinwe is a jewel in the roughCurufinwe is a jewel in the roughCurufinwe is a jewel in the rough
Gothic 2
Morrowind
We have sworn, and not lightly. This oath we will keep. We are threatened with many evils, and treason not least; but one thing is not said: that we shall suffer from cowardice, from cravens or the fear of cravens. Therefore I say that we will go on, and this doom I add: the deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song until the last days of Arda.
Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:39   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
It's cool

But 11fps on an athlon 1800 is not cool, even if I do only have a voodoo 3 3000
=/
It's the mirroring... it takes 2 extra render passes for each wall and 4 extra render passes for the ball (with texturing and lighting). That part is mainly hardware driven so if your card sucks, the framerate sucks.
I get 75 FPS on a GF2, and it's prolly more because that equals my monitor frequency (vsync is on).

I'm implementing a setup file as we speak to disable it.
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:51   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
=/
It's the mirroring... it takes 2 extra render passes for each wall and 4 extra render passes for the ball (with texturing and lighting). That part is mainly hardware driven so if your card sucks, the framerate sucks.
No, you HOPE it's hardware driven, The voodoo 3 doesn't have hardware T&L so it's all happening in software for me
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 20:59   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
No, you HOPE it's hardware driven, The voodoo 3 doesn't have hardware T&L so it's all happening in software for me
Why does an XP1800+ have a voodoo3 in the first place? That's plain computer blasphemy (sp?)
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 21:01   #20
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Why does an XP1800+ have a voodoo3 in the first place? That's plain computer blasphemy (sp?)
Cos I don't really play games but I do need the processor power
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 21:34   #21
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

CryWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
MAFIA

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
CryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:10   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Civ 2
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:16   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
nethack or morrowind
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:35   #24
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Anachronox
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:39   #25
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
pong3D...

That's bloody good, SI!

60fps on a AMD Duron 1300, bye the way. (geForce 2 64Mb)

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:58   #26
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Curufinwe
Morrowind
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:12   #27
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Age of Mythology
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:15   #28
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i only get 3 fps in 3d pong
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:29   #29
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Thats really coming on S/I.
One thing - when I click to 'serve' the 'bat' allways moves off to one side. Is this intentional or is it misreading where the mouse is (I position it in the center of the 'bat')?

75fps, window maximised with res @ 1152x864, 32bit colour btw - thats on a GeForce3 Ti200.

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:29   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Uplink
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:36   #31
Nodrog

3 fps on a geforce 2, athlon 1800 maximised wtf
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:37   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

What are you talking about now?
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:41   #33
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
You've been had - open your case and you'll probably find an S3 Virge with go-faster stripes and a large spoiler stuck on it.

On a serious note, I have no idea what the hell is up with it. Are you still running on the crappy drivers that windows installs by default, or some proper nVidia ones?

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:44   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
New pc?
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 10:13   #35
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I get 1-5 fps on Athlon 1000, GeForce 4 MX, 512 Megs of Ram.

It looks nice though, I just can't play it.
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 10:29   #36
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
Here's the games currently sitting in a stack by my computer:
WarCraft III
GTA III
Civ III: Play The World
Risk
Pharoh & Cleopatra

It's damn tough trying to play 5 games at once
replace Risk with Medieval:Total War and remove Civ III
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 11:42   #37
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

WTF?
1-5 fps is kinda impossible... even if gayle gets 11 fps with a voodoo 3.
I asked around a bit and found out that the Voodoo doesn't support a hardware stencil buffer, which is used for the mirroring. So that part is software calculated.

Nod, do you have a gf2 TI or MX ?

And try not to maximize it... perhaps that's a holdback...
I'm asking around to see what it could be...

Mrl: see sig for my project...
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 12:00   #38
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough
heh i got a fps of 86 on a p4 2.8ghz and a geforce 4 128mb

0wnage
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 12:02   #39
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

does it run with OpenGL or Direct 3D? I'll try and fiddle around in my display setting to see if I can find what the problem is

edit: nevermind, I change everything and still get an average 3fps
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 12:19   #40
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
does it run with OpenGL or Direct 3D? I'll try and fiddle around in my display setting to see if I can find what the problem is

edit: nevermind, I change everything and still get an average 3fps
OpenGL... can you check what the processor load is while running the app? And do you have XP?
Without vsync I come to 175 fps and only 5% processor load, so I don't know where the problem could be.

[EDIT]
My brother with his Pentium2 350 and exotic intel 8mb gfx card & windows Millenium manages to push 7-11 fps with a few applications running in the background....
this is odd to say the least
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Structural Integrity; 11 Jan 2003 at 12:28.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 13:49   #41
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

My system resourses are at 58% free. With V-Sync off my framerate stays the same.

I'm running Win98 SE, perhaps that is the problem.
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 16:21   #42
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Uplink
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote