User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:26   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Speedgames

As mentioned previously, I'd like to spend tomorrow (when not pwning java in my new degree thingy) setting up game.planetarion.com for a speedgame type thing starting at the weekend. It will involve new features which (I'm 90% sure..) will be working fine.

I have 2 (ish) questions that I'd like answered by tomorrow morning (or, perhaps, evening :P)

1) how long should it go on for?
options:
- 24/48 hours (@1/2 mins)
1 week (@5-10 mins)
2 weeks (@??)

2) what code/stats setup should it be?
I'm aiming for a more conservative set of stats than jer's current ones. I'd like to bring true cloak back in, and should have the new features to reset / delete your own account coded. We should also have an alliance merging system working, and the new alliance limits (suitably adjusted).

Anything else that's easy to do I could maybe squeeze in.

Anyway, discuss etc!
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:35   #2
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speedgames

1 week, 5 minute ticks would end up a little under 2000 ticks I think. I think 24 hours is probably a bit short, 48 hours with 1/2 minutes always seemed to fall dead by the second day I found.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:36   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

what does more conservative mean? if you mean r14 type, it won't work. a speedgame should never be more than 2 minutes, and also 24hrs long is good enough. though 2 x 18 or something would be better.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:49   #4
add100
add

add100 has a spectacular aura aboutadd100 has a spectacular aura about

i like it to be 1min ticks and 24h game 48 = to long
r21 Wolfpack
r22 Jenova
r23 Destiny

Last edited by add100; 13 Sep 2006 at 20:43.
add100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:55   #5
`mac^
Retired insomniac

`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
a speedgame should never be more than 2 minutes, and also 24hrs long is good enough. though 2 x 18 or something would be better.

Currently - Ultores
`mac^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 20:15   #6
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you're right I was thinking more about testing. A 'speedgame' shouldn't be more than a day.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 20:24   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

actually using a more conservative set than mine might be a nice idea for people to warm up to use mine for the real round.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 20:49   #8
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Whatever, I have no plans all weekend. It might be a nice idea to keep it running friday-sunday so I won't waste all my money on alcohol.

And if the ticks are longer than 2 minutes you take the speed out of the speedgame and that's not cool.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 20:55   #9
-=Yggdra=-
Jack In The Box

-=Yggdra=- has a spectacular aura about-=Yggdra=- has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by add100
i like it to be 1min ticks and 24h game 48 = to long
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:26   #10
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

1 minute, 24 hour. All research and some buildings done.

then

2 minutes 48 hours. Also all research and buildings, etc.

Then 1 week @ 5 minutes with nothing done.
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:07   #11
Olympus
ToF FTW!

Olympus has a spectacular aura aboutOlympus has a spectacular aura aboutOlympus has a spectacular aura about

I really don't like those new stats with old skool stuff
And the idea for military scans also not.

If I wanted to play plane*ia, I would have been on another website right now
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:34   #12
Bazza[RB]

Bazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura about

24 hour with 2 min ticks gets my vote - preferably all day Sunday so it doesn't interfere with footy

Played every round since r2. RB/Fury/Eclipse/Kralizec/MISTU/Angels/Urwins/Jenova/VisioN/audentes/xVx/Osiris/apprime/FaNG/Ultores/p3n/Mercenaries/ZT/ND
Bazza[RB] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:48   #13
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Only 50ppl or so will end up playing anyway.. so why bother discussing it?
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 23:16   #14
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

instead of catering to the 50 with 1 min ticks for 24 hrs , play 5min ticks for a week

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 23:58   #15
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
instead of catering to the 50 with 1 min ticks for 24 hrs , play 5min ticks for a week
i agree, i think more people would play as oppossed to just the 50

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:19   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I agree.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 03:09   #17
zmaster

zmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

3 speed games:

sat - roughly 22hr game (depending how long it takes to reset) at 2min ticks (all tech and some buildings)
sun - same again (all tech and some buildings)
mon-fri - 5 min ticks (1000+ useful ticks, ie being awake) with freebie players equivelent tech, no buildings)

Code/Stats setup? suprise us
Starting resources wise? something useful to play with

Edit:
I meant friday 21:00 GMT not saturday. I am an aussie so friday 21:00 is sat for me . my bad

Last edited by zmaster; 15 Sep 2006 at 00:55.
zmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 05:36   #18
Lord^
Idling in #Omen

Lord^ has a spectacular aura aboutLord^ has a spectacular aura about

Game 1 starting at 21:00 GMT on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 20:00 GMT on Saturday, September 16, 2006

Game 2 starting at 21:00 GMT on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 20:00 GMT on Sunday, September 17, 2006

- PA Team and Community at Large Discuss the Two Speed Ticks that were at 1 Minute Ticks -

Game 3 starting at 20:00 GMT on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 21:00 GMT on Friday, September 22, 2006.

- PA Team and Community at Large Discuss the Weeklong Testing at 5 minute Ticks -

And sprinkle the different incentives and freebies along the way, until the final testing that doesn't need major rehaul can be done during the weeklong simulation fight. Therefore it is closest to regular PA.
Lord^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 05:44   #19
bmwoody
Schmuck

bmwoody has a spectacular aura aboutbmwoody has a spectacular aura about

imo it needs to be over the weekend. I (and probably others) have no time during the week. Especially at 5 minute ticks. I was hoping for something to occupy me on my time off

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Whatever, I have no plans all weekend. It might be a nice idea to keep it running friday-sunday so I won't waste all my money on alcohol.
^^ haha, what are you talking about? I could gather a group of friends together to combine the two...
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 09:56   #20
Krom666
of The Empire of Krom

Krom666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Two sets of 24hour/1 minute ticks this weekend sounds about right. The week long one will surely have minimal activity, bearing in mind people have jobs/school to go to. Leave it at the weekend ones i think...
Krom666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 09:56   #21
lilboi

lilboi is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer speed games to be no more than 2minute ticks too. I also think having it on the weekend is better.

I don't really like the 5 minute over the week idea, although that might get more people playing, its not good to miss a whole week of sleep before the round actually starts. =p
lilboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 12:00   #22
nospatony

insurrection member

i dont mind how long the ticks should be or the time the game lasts but if you want few people to participate then put the game on the weekend but i dont believe the new rules will be shown to their great affect so i think its better to start the speedgame during the week more people,more fun more bugs solving (if any) and dont forget peace to the real world!!!
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 16:05   #23
Icewar
Destiny

Icewar can only hope to improve

should be 24 hours with 1 min. ticks, maybe 2 x 30min. break,

new stats, new features, buddypack with 2 or 3, ally max. 10 or 20, max. 5 members a gal

Round 11 Bruderschaft (421)
Round 12 ARS - BC (376)
Round 13 IRON - HC /ToT(131)
Round 14 Reunion - xVx (112)
Round 15 xVx (183)
Round 16 xVx (212)
Round 17 xVx (149)
Round 18 xvx (211)
Round 19 VsN (73)
Round 20 VsN - DC (112)
Round 21 Wolfpack (66)
Round 22 ToT (158)
Round 23 Destiny (100)
Icewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 16:10   #24
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Have it start next weekend so i can play? Best idea ive heard!
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 16:17   #25
jerome

this speedgame should be named after me to respect my greatness, especially i have no intentions to play as i'm 18 on saturday!
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 17:36   #26
LostDark

LostDark is an unknown quantity at this point

1 week =)
LostDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 17:59   #27
Jakey

Jakey is an unknown quantity at this point

Usual 24 hour, 1 min ticks sounds fine. No need to drag it with longer ticks, it defeats the point of a SPEEDgame. Im also not entirely sure about mil scans, true cloaking, and a possible 1 ship type hitting all attacking ships. I have never been a supporter of looking to the past and re-introducing old ideas, but it may be usefull to test for the speedy?! All research done and a 5 hour break would also be nice lol, but maybe that is alot to ask.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 19:27   #28
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

spread a 5 min tick game over a week but have ticks running between 6pm and midnight gmt mon-sun with no res/con done

Note yes it may alienate non europeans but the europeans make up the majority of the player base

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 22:32   #29
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Note yes it may alienate non europeans but the europeans make up the majority of the player base
So bloody what?!

Non-europeans matter just as much as anyone else - they're the people who DC your incomings, slaving away over fleets while you're tucked up in bed asleep. Why do you think that every alliance is desperate to recruit as many players from USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand/ROTW as possible?

Frankly I <3 a lot of players from these areas of the world because they put so much more into PA, per person, than the average European player. Alienating them from a speedgame like this would be a totally reprehensible action.
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 22:35   #30
Kirk

Kirk is an unknown quantity at this point

This one seems the best, 2 speed games over weekend with 1 min ticks and a monday -- friday with 5 or 10 min ticks(with restarts to fix bugs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord^
Game 1 starting at 21:00 GMT on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 20:00 GMT on Saturday, September 16, 2006

Game 2 starting at 21:00 GMT on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 20:00 GMT on Sunday, September 17, 2006

- PA Team and Community at Large Discuss the Two Speed Ticks that were at 1 Minute Ticks -

Game 3 starting at 20:00 GMT on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 21:00 GMT on Friday, September 22, 2006.

- PA Team and Community at Large Discuss the Weeklong Testing at 5 minute Ticks -

And sprinkle the different incentives and freebies along the way, until the final testing that doesn't need major rehaul can be done during the weeklong simulation fight. Therefore it is closest to regular PA.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2006, 11:26   #31
MrManiac

MrManiac has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree with Kirk....

but with 10 mins tick from from monday to friday
MrManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:56   #32
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

SG sucks. Didn't even take 12 hours to drain all the fun out of it. Even an extra week of havoc would have been better. Could we please drop bp's for the next rounds of speedgame. As it's now, most ppl don't even bother to play anymore. And it's not only me.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:01   #33
Pilatus

Even a pa-clone were much more fun. To bad i quit that fastgame, because i thought sg would be more fun. I know i'm whining,but don't care. This sg have been a totally waste of time.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 22:02   #34
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

you could have tried self-exiling if you were stuck in a crappy gal.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 22:18   #35
Pilatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment
you could have tried self-exiling if you were stuck in a crappy gal.
Weren't in a crappy gal. Were in a good gal actually. Only problem were that there were a gal that did too good. Can't blame them them for doing well, but it killed the fun for the rest of us. Think it's best to not have bp's or private gals during havoc. Were just too tempting to go into vacation when the fun where gone, and most your galm8's had done the same.

Since there will alway be ppl that try to win, and ofcause we all try to win. It can be fun for awhile, but when a gal does well from the beginning it can ruin the round for everyone.

So i actually think it's best to keep speedgames random, so that we all can have fun during a speedgame. Not fun when all your galm8's and you, gets ruined by a good galaxy during speedgame.

As i see it, speedgame should be a chance for most of us to have some fun.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 10:30   #36
Pilatus

Damn i'm a bit whiny when i'm drunk. Changed my mind and still play speedgame, and i'm actually having fun atm
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 12:12   #37
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

The speedgame was fun for the 3-4 hours I played it, but I need to do some work so I had to kill my fleet
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote