User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:36   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I have a math final in 25 minutes.

Wish me luck.

Gotta get a C+ or I fail the class...

:\

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:38   #2
Hudre
Then I Ate The Baby!

Hudre is infamous around these partsHudre is infamous around these partsHudre is infamous around these partsHudre is infamous around these partsHudre is infamous around these parts
Cheat.

Or study. You did study?

I scare Ostriches when their on pavement.

I white-wash new-born babies.

I am a nice guy once you get to know me though
Hudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:39   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Maths is easy.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:43   #4
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
MrL, stop being gay.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:44   #5
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
MrL, stop being gay.

Don't tell me to stop
Tell the rain not to drop
Tell the wind not to blow
Cos you said so, mmm
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 17:24   #6
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
its Maths u butt****er
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 17:46   #7
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
maths is pointless.

What math problems do you have that can't be solved easily on a computer? Obviously there is plenty of room for research in math, but if you aren't interested in that there isn't a point.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 17:50   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
maths is pointless.

What math problems do you have that can't be solved easily on a computer? Obviously there is plenty of room for research in math, but if you aren't interested in that there isn't a point.
Computers aren't particularly capable at solving problems stated in words, or at applying maths to real-world situations in general. What is learnt is the structures and relationships. The actual algerbraic and analytical techniques are just for fun.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:17   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
maths is pointless.

I think you'll find it's quite impossible to prove things on a computer that don't just come down to number crunching.

Try proving the Riemann Hypothesis on a computer and you won't get very far.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:20   #10
Zither
Alcoholic

Zither is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Try proving the Riemann Hypothesis on a computer and you won't get very far. [/b]
I can try proving it in my head but won't get very far :-)

<Ahriman> i didn't know they were shemales until i f*cked them...

If you can't win an argument without using insults you have lost the argument already
Zither is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:32   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Zither
I can try proving it in my head but won't get very far :-)
You'd get further than you would on a computer!
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:32   #12
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
I think you'll find it's quite impossible to prove things on a computer that don't just come down to number crunching.

Try proving the Riemann Hypothesis on a computer and you won't get very far.
It's a research question though, and, as I said above, I see math as perfectly valid for those who would like to be mathematicians. My old professor actually did a Riemann hypothesis paper (he proved that the zeros were all to one side of like 2/3 or somesuch like that).

For the rest, it falls along with, say, the poetry of Yeats, which has it's own beauty, but is not functional.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:40   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's a research question though, and, as I said above, I see math as perfectly valid for those who would like to be mathematicians. My old professor actually did a Riemann hypothesis paper (he proved that the zeros were all to one side of like 2/3 or somesuch like that).

For the rest, it falls along with, say, the poetry of Yeats, which has it's own beauty, but is not functional.
That's about as valid as saying that 'Oh, that Einstein fellow, nice ideas but WHAT ABOUT THE REAL WORLD'.

Using the same example, the Riemann Hypothesis is linked to a rather interesting problem in Quantum Mechanics (electron shells and the like).

Advanced mathematics turns up EVERYWHERE in physics.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:42   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Every home should have a Jakiri.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:48   #15
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
he's right
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:52   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
he's right
That's why physics is so GREAT.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:05   #17
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
That's about as valid as saying that 'Oh, that Einstein fellow, nice ideas but WHAT ABOUT THE REAL WORLD'.
No it's like saying "learning relativity is probably useless unless you are either interested or are actually going to be working in physics."

Obviously that someone understands relativity is important, but for most people understanding relativity is not at all important. This is clearly true because they don't.
Quote:
Using the same example, the Riemann Hypothesis is linked to a rather interesting problem in Quantum Mechanics (electron shells and the like).

You are misreading me.

After all my special topics, special functions, etc. classes, only the simplest and most useless models in advanced physics classes (quantum 2 and up) could be done on paper. All the rest was back to a computer. Certainly very high level maths were in play, but I didn't get to play

From time to time in research in, say, physics or chemistry, you come across an area where you need to do some truly high level math because that area hasn't been worked out yet. But at this point, what you are doing is research in pure math, which goes back to my original point.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:07   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Your point appeared to be claiming that mathematics research is pointless.

You can't change your argument by saying 'No, that's not a use! Just because you use research from mathematics in it doesn't make mathematics research useful!'
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:11   #19
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Your point appeared to be claiming that mathematics research is pointless.
no no no No No NO NO NO NO!

Quote:
You can't change your argument by saying 'No, that's not a use! Just because you use research from mathematics in it doesn't make mathematics research useful!'
Mathematical research is useful.

Mathematics is useful for those who do mathematical research.

Mathematical research is done mostly by mathematicians; and occasionally by physicists and chemists.

Most people aren't mathematicians or physicists or chemists.

For most people, math is useless unless they like it simply because of aesthetic qualities.

PS: I apologize if my initial post didn't make my stance clear. I tried to note that maths research was an exception to my general case, but it may have been vague.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:19   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

That's just the same point rephrased.

Without mathematics research we wouldn't have, say, computers or lightbulbs or what have you.

Your point appears to be the equivilent of saying 'Pfft electrons! I'm not interested in them! What have they ever done for me!'
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:28   #21
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hudre
Cheat.

Or study. You did study?
I’ve always wanted to figure out a way to write all the formulas on contact lenses. I bet I could make a fortune selling those. Of course someone probably already has a patent on them. =/
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:28   #22
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:

Without mathematics research we wouldn't have, say, computers or lightbulbs or what have you.
This disproves my statement "Mathematical research is useful." somehow?

Quote:
Your point appears to be the equivilent of saying 'Pfft electrons! I'm not interested in them! What have they ever done for me!'
If I was, say, a grocer, I could say that and it would not affect my quality of life at all.

But I'd be wrong.

My point was that if I was a grocer, I could go out and learn what those wonderful little electrons do for me. And it would not change my quality of life at all.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:31   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
This disproves my statement "Mathematical research is useful." somehow?
Usually, giving a counter example to a definite statement disproves it.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:31   #24
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
maths is pointless.

Kurt Godel wants a word.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:37   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Kurt Godel wants a word.
He's Bach there. And I can't think of a pun for Escher.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:38   #26
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Usually, giving a counter example to a definite statement disproves it.
So you just proved that mathematic research is not useful?
Quote:
Kurt Godel wants a word.
Are you saying that Godel didn't do research in math?
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:40   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So you just proved that mathematic research is not useful?
I was taking your statement to refer to a condensed version of your point, which was 'Mathematics research is useless except as an intellectual persuit.'
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:41   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Are you saying that Godel didn't do research in math?
Read post, understand post, reply to post is usually the sequence of events to try and perform dear.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:43   #29
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
I was taking your statement to refer to a condensed version of your point, which was 'Mathematics research is useless except as an intellectual persuit.'
1. Mathematical research is always useful.

2. Mathematics is useful for doing mathematical research.

In my post I put research down as the exception to the general principle.

Mirai is not doing mathematical research, and from the tone of his post I surmised he would never do maths research.
Quote:
Read post, understand post, reply to post is usually the sequence of events to try and perform dear.
I understood him (for once).

He doesn't understand me

I'm misunderstood.

Last edited by acropolis; 31 Jul 2003 at 20:49.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:50   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Doing mathematics is inherently useful as it encourages a logical thought structure.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:52   #31
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
My point was that if I was a grocer, I could go out and learn what those wonderful little electrons do for me. And it would not change my quality of life at all.
Maths would certainly raise your quality of life, just as any art does. Maths rocks, you faggot, go **** men, you wouldn't wanna be concerned with something mathematical like population growth would you.

Grocery is an old profession. To the extent that grocers exercise their freedom and creativity, they do use maths - any self-employed person manages their own accounts and applies arithmetic to money generally, estimates risks and uses statistics generally, uses abstract models of stock flow, etc. You haven't replied to my previous post - it doesn't particularly matter if someone uses software or not, the details of symbolic manipulation are not the sum total of mathematics.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:55   #32
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Doing mathematics is inherently useful as it encourages a logical thought structure.
Unfortunately, all I hear is chicks bitching about guys that are too logical.

Other great places for math are doing your budget, checkbook, financial planning, etc. but those are all just type numbers into a computer and let it do the work now.

It wasn't that many years ago that computers couldn't do symbolic integration, so until recently being able to do symbolic integration was necessary for engineering.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:58   #33
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Computers aren't particularly capable at solving problems stated in words, or at applying maths to real-world situations in general. What is learnt is the structures and relationships. The actual algerbraic and analytical techniques are just for fun.
I don't think you claim the process of translating english (or one of the lesser languages) into an equation was actually math. Perhaps their is a word for that - metamathematics, or soemthing. Anyway, once you have the equation, math definitely begins, but from then on a computer can do everything. Obviously the output requires interpretation, but once again you've left math.

I'll be off

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 31 Jul 2003 at 21:03.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 20:59   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Women tend to have a much more logical thought structure than men.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:01   #35
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Women tend to have a much more logical thought structure than men.
where are the moderators when people start spouting off their sexist tripe!

PS: I agree.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:02   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I don't think you claim the process of translating english (or one of the lesser languages) into an equation was actually math. Perhaps their is a word for that - metamathematics, or soemthing. Anyway, once you have the equation, math definitely begins, but from then on a computer can do everything. Obviously the output requires interpretation, but once again you've left math.
Mathematics isn't just about equations. For a start, there's inequations

ps.

Censor evade again. I dare you*.

*Will ban you if you do.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:07   #37
queball
Ball

Quote:
That word's taken. Metamathematics is what Godel and his lot did.

Ok, well that's exactly what I'd call maths. The original academic/practical distiction was just capitaloclassist oppression. I agree that studying a subject devoid of context is pointless for some more particular context but that's hardly a surprise. Any creative discipline has room for abstraction.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:15   #38
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:

Ok, well that's exactly what I'd call maths. The original academic/practical distiction was just capitaloclassist oppression. I agree that studying a subject devoid of context is pointless for some more particular context but that's hardly a surprise. Any creative discipline has room for abstraction.
I actually prefer it in the context-free.

Once you've solved it there, the same logic can be applied to any number of situations, potentially appearing to be completely unrelated.

PS: who gave JakIrI banning powers?
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:15   #39
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

I'll be off
computer derived proof of fermats last theorem plz
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:17   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Getting the capitalisation wrong on my name counts as censor evasion from now on.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:19   #41
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
computer derived proof of fermats last theorem plz
While it is possible that someone would come across the proof for fermat's last theorem while they were using math for a non-research purpose (perhaps while doing taxes?), I find it just as unlikely as having the computer print off random characters.

I repeat that I find mathematics research to be useful.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:42   #42
Nodrog

Quote:
While it is possible that someone would come across the proof for fermat's last theorem while they were using math for a non-research purpose (perhaps while doing taxes?), I find it just as unlikely as having the computer print off random characters.

I repeat that I find mathematics research to be useful.
What is your point then?
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 21:57   #43
queball
Ball

Quote:
I actually prefer it in the context-free.

Once you've solved it there, the same logic can be applied to any number of situations, potentially appearing to be completely unrelated.

That's not exactly what I meant by context. If you solve a problem for some need real or imagined and generalise the result it's useful and in context.

If your job is purely a service job, and you know just what you have to do and there isn't any room for making theories about the job, researching statistics would be pointless. Mathematics would be out of context. If you're a robot doing a stupid job you don't need to know anything.

The software people have is always incomplete, there are always new applications of mathematics for any decent job, applications that no-one has thought of. Spreadsheets are popular because they are general; the user is still the one doing the modelling. There are more specific utilities to account for tax or balance ingoing and outgoings but there's still plenty of jobs in accountancy. And accountants need maths just like engineers.

Say you're into economics, or genomics, or something. There might be rules written by others that say to take various expressions, put them together and integrate. And you could do that all in Maple. But if you're a researcher, you need to know the mathematical concepts to be able to formulate those rules. Maths isn't introverted - it's useful not just for research into mathematics but research into anything. Anyone doing useful, intellectual, creative work needs maths. If you're just following rules then you don't.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:29   #44
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
What is your point then?
25 years ago, no matter what you did in life you needed some level of ability in math.

As mentioned, taxes and stuff.

With computers, we are now at a point where an engineer could get away with not being able to add 1 + 1 (I know many near this point).

Obvioulsy this line of thought doesn't apply to research of any kind. That's all good **** (no censor evade so he doesn't ban me).

That's my general outline.
Quote:

It's funny and interesting* that when I argue with other people, it usually turns out to be over semantic issues, and when I argue with you it usually ends up being definitional.

*May be neither funny nor interesting.

Last edited by acropolis; 31 Jul 2003 at 22:38.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:39   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I know of many mathematicians who can't add 1 and 1. (Well, not quite that bad, but are terrible at mental arithmatic)
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:41   #46
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
I know of many mathematicians who can't add 1 and 1. (Well, not quite that bad, but are terrible at mental arithmatic)
I never learnt my times tables. \o/
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:41   #47
queball
Ball

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:44   #48
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
yes, but can you honestly claim that between reading that post and posting your answer you didn't use a computer?

thought so.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 22:48   #49
queball
Ball

Quote:
yes, but can you honestly claim that between reading that post and posting your answer you didn't use a computer?

thought so.
But what allowed me to recognise it as a simple arithmetical problem?
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 23:11   #50
Nodrog

Quote:
25 years ago, no matter what you did in life you needed some level of ability in math.

As mentioned, taxes and stuff.

With computers, we are now at a point where an engineer could get away with not being able to add 1 + 1 (I know many near this point).

Obvioulsy this line of thought doesn't apply to research of any kind. That's all good **** (no censor evade so he doesn't ban me).
Mirai does computer science iirc.

Also, mental arithmetic != 'maths'