User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:20   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
The Hulk *spoilers*

*spoilers*
I saw this on my comp today, poor quality video (was barely watchable when you're used to DVD)
If you haven't seen it yet, then you shouldn't read (most) of this.

[spoilers]

Just watched the movie, and I can say it's definately overhyped.
The first half is poo... I expected to be thrown into the heat of action right away. Instead I got a boring introduction into the history of mr Banner. Instead of the science introduction I EXPECTED action... that was quite a disappointment.
The second half got better when mr Hulk actually showed some of his muscles and broke stuff.
The ending, the final battle, and things leading to it, was just weird... I mean.... right...

Another thing was the poor CGI work. In the tank scene you can actually see the glitches in the pants of the Hulk when he is shown from behind. I've noticed several parts where the visual artists did a crappy job. And sometimes soooo obvious that it makes you wonder why they haven't fixed it.

The whole movie felt empty. Often because of the lack of sound. When the Hulk pounds something, you sometimes don't hear anything... just very quietly the music in the background.

One good thing about it was the whole camera thing... the comic strip style. Though sometimes a tad confusing and limiting the view, it was actually done quite properly.

[/spoilers]

Overall... well... I didn't like it... X-men2 is MUCH better!
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:25   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
was the copy you got from the workprint or the final version?

the CGI on the workprint release was utter crap

i watched a divx copy earlier and the quality was fine and the cgi wasn't that bad at all

as for the plot, more or less what i expected

what action scenes there were seemed to drag on and not be that great, which was very surprising given what i was expecting from Ang Lee and co

overall, ok, not great but not awful.

if we're comparing it to other comic book films probaly on the same level as daredevil
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:32   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
That could be, that I had the workprint version... it were two mpegs. I haven't seen a divx of it yet (shall look for one).

Were the soundeffects in you divx also poor? I mean, when the hulk was smashing and bashing it just seemed that *some* (some whole fights) pounds weren't "getting through".
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:38   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
That could be, that I had the workprint version... it were two mpegs. I haven't seen a divx of it yet (shall look for one).

Were the soundeffects in you divx also poor? I mean, when the hulk was smashing and bashing it just seemed that *some* (some whole fights) pounds weren't "getting through".
i can't say i noticed the sound being an issue at all

oh forgot to say

i actually really liked the way they did the whole comic book style split screen thing, that technique used in like an x-men movie would actually rock a whole lot. never seen that done before like that, but maybe i'm watching the wrong films

stan lee's cameo at the beginning was also
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:38   #5
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i would blame the poor sound on the copy you got. i saw it in cinema and the sound wasnt bad (at least not bad enough for me to notice)
you are absolutly right about the content of the film though.
i slowly get the impression the make one not so good film then a good one then another not so good one and so on .
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:43   #6
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
i would blame the poor sound on the copy you got. i saw it in cinema and the sound wasnt bad (at least not bad enough for me to notice)
you are absolutly right about the content of the film though.
i slowly get the impression the make one not so good film then a good one then another not so good one and so on .
spiderman, daredevil, x-2, hulk?

if that's what you meant then yeah i agree

tho i expected a lot of crouching tiger style brilliance from the hulk but i spose having just the one character with special powers (and not exactly the most nimble of people) didn't help much
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:51   #7
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
theres already been a thread about the hulk
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 09:15   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
theres already been a thread about the hulk
The one where he had a green peepee?
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 09:51   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Of course it has a science introduction.

So does Spiderman, and it's much more famous.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 09:53   #10
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
when are they going to make a Bananaman film?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 09:56   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Whenever Tom Cruise eats a banana?
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 09:58   #12
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Whenever Tom Cruise eats a banana?
I don't think Cruise would really suit Eric. hmm.. I think this calls for some serious debate; who would play eric, and should Bananaman be real or CGI?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:03   #13
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
brendon frasier as banananananananman
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:14   #14
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
your opinions seem to reflect the quality of your encode more than the movie itself.

You have to watch it in a theatre.

Otherwise your opinion is crap.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:29   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
I don't think Cruise would really suit Eric. hmm.. I think this calls for some serious debate; who would play eric, and should Bananaman be real or CGI?
He's really short though.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:24   #16
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
The one where he had a green peepee?
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...hreadid=166461
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 19:24   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The SFX didn't bother me on the copy I had. The film just didn't have any "soul". Maybe if I watched a better copy....but I doubt it.

I prefer the TV Series to the Comic though. The TV series had drama and him being an actual hero. In this it was mainly him running away for his own protection. He only helped one person in the whole film - and that was his bird (who only got targeted because of him).

p.s. the split screen "gimmick" was OK.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 19:33   #18
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
He only helped one person in the whole film - and that was his bird (who only got targeted because of him).
did your copy not include the last 5 minutes?

i thought the whole point was that he had realized that he could use the 'gifts' he'd been given to actually help people
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 19:37   #19
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:

p.s. the split screen "gimmick" was OK.
that was there to give the effect of a comic book. Apparantly you missed that.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 19:38   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
that was there to give the effect of a comic book. Apparantly you missed that.
No, I got that. But that still only made it OK.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 19:43   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
i thought the whole point was that he had realized that he could use the 'gifts' he'd been given to actually help people
OK, fair enough the ending had a bit of freak vs freak action, but I wanted to see him beating up random rednecks like the series.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 20:35   #22
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
OK, fair enough the ending had a bit of freak vs freak action, but I wanted to see him beating up random rednecks like the series.
no, after that
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 20:37   #23
Ragnarak

Quote:
i mean the whole being the doctor to some villagers and protecting them from the evil government regime type ppl
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 21:11   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
i mean the whole being the doctor to some villagers and protecting them from the evil government regime type ppl
That was hardly part of the film. I wanted a film ABOUT that bit, not a little "ahhh, the sequel might be good folks".
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 22:54   #25
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
That was hardly part of the film. I wanted a film ABOUT that bit, not a little "ahhh, the sequel might be good folks".
yeah, i thought that was more him hiding from the rest of the world than anything else anyway
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:04   #26
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Hulk = David Banner ?! and which actor represents David BAnner(?!)?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:06   #27
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
Hulk = David Banner ?! and which actor represents David BAnner(?!)?
Hulk = Bruce Banner
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:11   #28
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
Hulk = Bruce Banner
thx, but who is David Banner?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:25   #29
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
thx, but who is David Banner?
Im pretty sure he called himself that in the TV series, probably to hide is identity. David Banner is also Bruce's dad in the film.
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 00:07   #30
Ragnarak

According to a Stan Lee interview i watched last week, the shows producers thought "Bruce" was too much of a homosexual name so renamed the character David

In the film David Banner is his dad, the mad scientist type bloke

(edit: iirc they compromised and called the hulk David Bruce Banner on the tv series)