User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:47   #1
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough
u belive in fate

i just got into a conversation about if there is such a thing as fate?

do you thing that our paths have allready been decided, and we are kinda pre - programed to do what we do in life?

if so what decides what we do in life, who sets fate?

personaly i think there is such a thing as fate, and that our actions have allready been deicded..... but im not entirely sure what it has been decided by yet.....
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:50   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
If our actions are already pre-determined, am i free from blame if i call you a twit?
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:50   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: u belive in fate

Quote:
Originally posted by starmog
do you thing that our paths have allready been decided, and we are kinda pre - programed to do what we do in life?
No. There's no evidence of that, and it kind of conflicts with other stuff we know.

I believe in free-will being basically an illusion though, but that's another issue.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:52   #4
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: u belive in fate

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
No. There's no evidence of that, and it kind of conflicts with other stuff we know.

I believe in free-will being basically an illusion though, but that's another issue.
I think everything that happens is meant to happen. Whether or not we're "controlled' by some higher power seems a bit far fetched... I think we have free will...freedom to make the choices we do throughout our entire lives. But I also believe that some things are destined to be...true love for example... Some things are just meant to happen whether we understand them or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:56   #5
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
do tell.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:59   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: u belive in fate

Quote:
Originally posted by rageybabey
But I also believe that some things are destined to be...
How can we have free-will if this is the case?

Let's say for example I decide whether I should go out one night. Presumably this is a "free choice", yes? But then there, I meet the woman of my dreams. So was this supposed to happen or not?

Saying something was "meant" to happen seems pointlessly vague. When used in day-to-day life it seems used more of a method for relieving stress "Oh well, I lost my job but somethings are just supposed to happen"
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 19:59   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
do tell.
The Matrix has you...
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:01   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
do tell.
This has been discussed before, so I won't bring it up again, suffice to say W and I discussed this previously on this thread :

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...hreadid=157622

Particularly page 2 and 3, I think.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:01   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Re: Re: Re: Re: u belive in fate

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
The Matrix has you...
I was wondering how long it would take for the Matrix to pop-up just by reading the thread title - how unpredictable
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:04   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No, its always seemed to me as just another thing people use to avoid taking responsibility for their lives.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:05   #11
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I pretty much agree with what Nodrog just said.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:08   #12
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: u belive in fate

I think an object in motion is destined to remain in motion unless acted on by an external force. I'm not sure though.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:32   #13
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
I think an object in motion is destined to remain in motion unless acted on by an external force. I'm not sure though.
meaning?
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:37   #14
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
If i can control my destiny then grand.
If i cant then there's nothing i can do about it.

Either way i can't see the point in worrying about it.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:42   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Weeks
Either way i can't see the point in worrying about it.
I don't think anyone was implying you should worry about it, but it's still fairly interesting topic to discuss, no?
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:47   #16
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Fate does not exist, things happen because they happen. Nothing more to worry about. And as for true love, its all chemicals.
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:48   #17
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
more importantly

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose
If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues
Just go and listen it'll start with a smile
It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try
Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find
How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me
We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me
And maybe, if the music is right
I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night
And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see
How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic

Last edited by Bloomers III; 6 Jul 2003 at 21:11.
Bloomers III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2003, 20:49   #18
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally posted by starmog
meaning?
Meaning... you can't seperate the question of fate from the question of knowledge. If you believe in fate but are "not entirely sure what it has been decided by yet" you might as well be contemplating the nature of your navel's existence.Are you partially sure?

We have ways of figuring out the future such as science and common sense. Given the number of people you meet in life, love is very likely for a typical healthy person. There's also conviction and intution which are sometimes good too but again subject to reason. What someone might mean by fate is they believe that "fate" talks to them through voices or scripture (ie. they have little appreciation of human frailty or probability). Or cosmology or palm reading. A lot of talk of fate is pushed by people selling or smoking something.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 01:51   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i dont know if its "fate", but i have a sinking feeling that my actions are slightly predetermined, that all actons are formulaic. For example, if you sat me down on a seat and told me to open Box A or Box B which were both on a table, id ALWAYS go for one of them, no matter how many times that situation would arise.

I feel when im faced with a choice i cant rebel against it. Like im goading myself into going one way or the other. Difficult to explain, its rather schizophrenic in a way. Every decision i make is the result of a series of different factors, its not really my choice.

for instance, i couldnt have chosen not to make this post. i just did. which tempts me to close the page, which makes me think if thats what i was "meant" to do.

oh well.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 02:18   #20
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
i dont know if its "fate", but i have a sinking feeling that my actions are slightly predetermined, that all actons are formulaic. For example, if you sat me down on a seat and told me to open Box A or Box B which were both on a table, id ALWAYS go for one of them, no matter how many times that situation would arise.

I feel when im faced with a choice i cant rebel against it. Like im goading myself into going one way or the other. Difficult to explain, its rather schizophrenic in a way. Every decision i make is the result of a series of different factors, its not really my choice.

for instance, i couldnt have chosen not to make this post. i just did. which tempts me to close the page, which makes me think if thats what i was "meant" to do.

oh well.
The past is always fixed, that doesn't mean the future is. After youv'e done it, there was nothing else you can do, but before, you could pick any of the choices.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 02:21   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I don't think there's a difference between a world with fate and one without to be honest.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 02:37   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
but every decision i make ever, is nothing more than a subliminal weighing up of all stimuli. We make unconscious judgements based on heat, light, shelter, past experience etc. Then these judgements are weighed against each other. Other factors, ie, level of attentiveness (drugs altered?), mood, determination to rebel count too.

In effect, Every decision ive ever made has been the right one at the time. Even "wrong" ones, where ive upset someone, or not been funny - you get the point. Based on the evidence we are aware of at the time, we would always make the same decision.

I cant word this properly. Ill try again tommorow

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 05:37   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
but every decision i make ever, is nothing more than a subliminal weighing up of all stimuli.
I kind of agree, but what about a random or pseudo-random element?
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 07:45   #24
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i believe that 'coincedences' are more than just merely coincidences.

for example i knew a girl who told me this story. her sister was supposed to go out driving with her friends. her mom got this 'bad feeling' and told her not to go. the girl was going to go out anyway but at the last minute changed her mind to make her mom happy. that night her friends were killed in a car accident. so if she had gone out, would she have been killed as well? so does that mean she was supposed to die that night? or maybe not since her mom kept her home... *shrug*
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 07:51   #25
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
but every decision i make ever, is nothing more than a subliminal weighing up of all stimuli. We make unconscious judgements based on heat, light, shelter, past experience etc. Then these judgements are weighed against each other. Other factors, ie, level of attentiveness (drugs altered?), mood, determination to rebel count too.

In effect, Every decision ive ever made has been the right one at the time. Even "wrong" ones, where ive upset someone, or not been funny - you get the point. Based on the evidence we are aware of at the time, we would always make the same decision.

yes, thats how the human mind works, it dosent just make random decisions based on nothing every time it has a choice to make
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 07:53   #26
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
i believe that 'coincedences' are more than just merely coincidences.

for example i knew a girl who told me this story. her sister was supposed to go out driving with her friends. her mom got this 'bad feeling' and told her not to go. the girl was going to go out anyway but at the last minute changed her mind to make her mom happy. that night her friends were killed in a car accident. so if she had gone out, would she have been killed as well? so does that mean she was supposed to die that night? or maybe not since her mom kept her home... *shrug*
but if she had gone out would here friends have been in the same place at the same time and had the accident?
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 07:54   #27
W
Gubbish

Quote:

You say it like you had knowledge of it, and not just a belief.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 07:54   #28
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i should have clarified.
she would have been in the same car. :\
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:16   #29
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
i should have clarified.
she would have been in the same car. :\
what i meant was would the car have been in the same place if they had gone to pick her up ?
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:24   #30
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
if someone is controlling everything we do, I don't think we'd be discussing whether or not they are controlling us
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:25   #31
Aryn
Happy

dunno
they still went (well were going) to the same place as planned.

ok how bout this one (it's a bit of a longer story..and i may have said it on the forums before so bear with me.)

myself and 3 friends were in band class in grade 9. nicole, laurel, and marina were there names. the day before we left for a band trip to Banff (alberta) laurel had gone to the doctor's for a regular checkup and came up positive for mono... and so she couldn't go. anyway. while we were in banff, there was this time when we were crossing the road (j-walking)... marina ran across cause she's crazy, nicole followed.. whereas i hung back to wait for the car, and in my mind i could picture laurel hesitating, then running ahead and getting hit. she was my best friend and so i knew that was the exact timing she would have had. it shook me up, and i told nicole and marina what i saw and they agreed that it's something that could have happened. (not saying laurel was a dumbass for running in front of cars, but the car was going faster than i thought, and i could see laurel misjudging that as well.)

anyways.. we got home and turns out laurel had absolutely no symptoms of being sick, so her mom let her stay home from school and hang around anyway (she would have missed classes for the trip..).

so. she got mis-diagnosed, which caused her to stay home. if she had been in Banff.. would she have gotten hit by the car?

perhaps coincidence isn't the right word i'm trying to think of.. but things like this just make you wonder.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:32   #32
meaple
Pretend Faggot

meaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the rough
Fate does exist. end of story.

Watch Final Destination and Final Destination 2 (even though they both are teh suck)

[ ripper ] I told u I was hardcore
meaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:47   #33
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by meaple
Final Destination
After the plane explodes and the gang are sitting in the departure lounge, each picture in the background of the lounge depicts their fate/death.

Anyway, back to the point.
I think your view is dependant on your past experiences.
When i was younger i would have said no, but as i've grown older there have been a few incidences which have changed my mind.
Some of those, have had a major effect on my life, and changed the course of my life making me the person i am today, making me believe more in fate..........

Only the banana really knows
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 08:58   #34
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I dislike the idea that I have no control over what I do.

Sorta takes the entire meaning out of life.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 10:43   #35
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
I kind of agree, but what about a random or pseudo-random element?
such as?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
yes, thats how the human mind works, it dosent just make random decisions based on nothing every time it has a choice to make
of course, but i believe that my course of action is determined by these - that i dont have an overrule not based on factors.

Quote:
Originally posted by W
You say it like you had knowledge of it, and not just a belief.
Do you disagree, or are you just playing Devil's Advocate? I dont see why id do anything different given the situations i was put in. Even big regrets, i made actions based on feelings, enviroment, outside influence.

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 11:40   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

The universe isn't clockwork. My understanding of such matters is highly limited but if you could rewind time and then let it replay, not all events would happen again in the same way. Quantum reactions, etc aren't "predictable" in the deterministic framework. What if reactions (on some level) in our brain work on the same principal? That wouldn't imply true freedom, but it would mean that given the exact same external stimuli in two distinct cases two different decisions might be met. Think of my "rolling the dice" analogy in the previous thread.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 11:49   #37
PureviL
robdash!

PureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
what i meant was would the car have been in the same place if they had gone to pick her up ?
Maybe her mom just killed her friends?
It is ridiculous to claim that video games influence children. For instance, if PacMan affected kids born in the 80s, we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms eating pills while listening to monotonous electronic music.
PureviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 11:55   #38
Elfhelm
Polar Bear

Elfhelm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The universe isn't clockwork. My understanding of such matters is highly limited but if you could rewind time and then let it replay, not all events would happen again in the same way. Quantum reactions, etc aren't "predictable" in the deterministic framework. What if reactions (on some level) in our brain work on the same principal? That wouldn't imply true freedom, but it would mean that given the exact same external stimuli in two distinct cases two different decisions might be met. Think of my "rolling the dice" analogy in the previous thread.
Our brains are controlled by the laws of physics, and so therefore are our decisions. Stuff isn't unpredictable, it's just that we don't know how to predict it.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:10   #39
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
No

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:14   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Our brains are controlled by the laws of physics, and so therefore are our decisions.
Yes.
Quote:
Stuff isn't unpredictable, it's just that we don't know how to predict it.
Maybe. Schrondigers Cat.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:14   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Our brains are controlled by the laws of physics, and so therefore are our decisions. Stuff isn't unpredictable, it's just that we don't know how to predict it.
Go and learn about quantum physics. If the standard model is correct (in this aspect), then it is impossible to know, not just 'very difficult'.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:17   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
I don't think there's a difference between a world with fate and one without to be honest.
Only in a world of fate would Goran Ivanisovich win wimbledon.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:48   #43
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

but even still, rolling a dice. in that same situations, with the same stakes, the same weight of dice, other factors like the grip of my hand, whether my hand is sweaty or not - in that same situation, id always roll the same number.

it is impossible unfortunately to create two completely 100% similar situations

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 12:59   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
but even still, rolling a dice. in that same situations, with the same stakes, the same weight of dice, other factors like the grip of my hand, whether my hand is sweaty or not - in that same situation, id always roll the same number.
What you're describing is called Laplacian Determinism, and went out with quantum theory.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:05   #45
queball
Ball

Quote:
(1) ...her mom got this 'bad feeling'...that night her friends were killed in a car accident

(2) ...came up positive for mono...i could picture laurel hesitating, then running ahead and getting hit. she was my best friend and so i knew that was the exact timing she would have had...would she have gotten hit by the car?

perhaps coincidence isn't the right word i'm trying to think of.. but things like this just make you wonder.
Wonder about what?
These two stories are actually quite interesting taken together. The first is much stronger evidence than the second; the mother actually got a feeling which was, apparently, acted on. It's also the story that involves a "friend of a friend". I'm sure the number of friends (in a loose sense of friend) of friends you have is at least a few thousand. Say a "strong" coincidence happens to one in a thousand people, is that good evidence of fate?

I think the word you're looking for is "women's intuition". I'd guess the mother saw the shots of vodka the drivers were taking.

As for the second story, I think it shows more about you than anything else. If she really had mono and couldn't come and so had her life saved, it'd still be fate, right? That a good friend is away for any reason can make someone think about them. How many times are you out and about doing dangerous stuff while thinking about a member of your party who is absent? Are you often more scared about a situation than you should be? And how many times do people you're with or know actually have accidents?

Have you studied statistics at all by the way? Here's a short article on coincidence: http://www.theness.com/articles/coincidence-cs0104.html. There are quite a few books written on the subject (skepticism of coincidence/fate).
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:05   #46
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Care to explain to a non-physicist?

Also

Quote:
Originally sung by Oasis. "The Masterplan"

Im not saying right is wrong
Its up to us to make
The best of all the things that come our way
Cause everything thats been has passed
The answers in the looking glass
Theres four and twenty million doors
Down life's endless corridors
Sing it loud and say it proud today

Dance if you wanna dance
Please brother take a chance
You know we're gonna go, which way we're gonna go
All we know is that, we dont know what is gonna be
Please brother let it be
Life on the other hand, wont let you understand
Why we're all part of the masterplan
the thread reminded me of it somewhat.

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:12   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Care to explain to a non-physicist?
It's because of the way that quantum mechanics deals with probabilities, rather than absolutes.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:14   #48
queball
Ball

Physics from Fisher Information is a good book for non-physicists (I assume that everyone is either a physics student or a mathematics student).
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:16   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Physics from Fisher Information is a good book for non-physicists (I assume that everyone is either a physics student or a mathematics student).
I hear there are some compscis out there. They scare me.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 13:26   #50
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Do you disagree, or are you just playing Devil's Advocate? I dont see why id do anything different given the situations i was put in. Even big regrets, i made actions based on feelings, enviroment, outside influence.
Whether I'm playind devils advocate or not is immaterial to my argument (and it's not like I've gone to great lenghts to hide my own beliefs). Just because you can't see how you could have made anything different, doesn't mean that you know you couldn't have made anything different.

Do you not have impulses? Do you think ALL your values, every single one of your idiosyncracies was desided by external or internally deterministic factors?