User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:01   #1
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
The Rit-Articles

Shouldnt all those 2 articles atleast represent some good checked and good evaluated information which gives a neutral insight into things rather then to be a portrait and full of subjective and sometimes even wrong assumptions ?

This is no flaming attempt but both, the madcows thread (which was indeed okish, except from the evaluation of their futural chances to win r9) and the rumad thread which is a display of what ? were kinda subjectively touched and i guess if u would ask other ppl you would get different views on things.
Also its rather odd that you portrai rumad who is according to the history (which you investigated) is an alliancehopper gets a place into the planetarion columns while ppl who were there for longtime alliances may they be small or big incase of gameimpact doesnt matter, get not such a reputation.

The Cases of rumads taking over of fang and his changing relationships with his allies in r9, you might hear a more true view from other fang hc members (lo subotai) other allies (lo tot/fury command) and you would somewhere in the middle find the truth.

What we have now is just a product of PR and cheap comradery, as neither Biggdog, Grendel, Sid, Cryptic, anyone from WAC or even some ppl from WP, NOS, ELY who builded up an alliance for rounds after rounds and went with it through defeat and victory are portraied.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:08   #2
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I would presume there is a "This article represents the opinions of the writer" somewhere.

To give credit, at least he is trying - and for someone who wasn't in a certain circle it would be hard to get certain information which makes his options rather limited when scoping through alliances.

Some more research into the Rumad article (by talking to Kjeldoran and others with close ties) might not have gone amiss, but this depends on the deadline for the articles he has to write.

Likewise, the main comment which I frowned upon within the MadCows article was an assumption that they are outnumbered which is wrong.

(I don't claim they outnumber us either, so I hope people won't start a flamefest there)

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:13   #3
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Articles aren't neutral, which newspaper do you read? Besides, neutrality is dull.

I may think Rumad is a nob, but that doesn't mean RIT shouldn't write an article about him if he chooses - Nor do you have any grounds to criticise his choice of subject, or say who he should focus on based on your ideas of who matters.

I would hope anyone reading such articles would realise opinion is always subjective, and if they dont - they are idiots.

If you are so concerned - Apply to write an article yourself, or simply don't read them.

BlueTuba
Patrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:19   #4
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrician
Articles aren't neutral, which newspaper do you read? Besides, neutrality is dull.

I may think Rumad is a nob, but that doesn't mean RIT shouldn't write an article about him if he chooses - Nor do you have any grounds to criticise his choice of subject, or say who he should focus on based on your ideas of who matters.

I would hope anyone reading such articles would realise opinion is always subjective, and if they dont - they are idiots.

If you are so concerned - Apply to write an article yourself, or simply don't read them.
I know that :P

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:20   #5
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
I know that :P
I was replying to the guy who posted the thread, you slipped in while I was writing :/

BlueTuba
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:24   #6
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
I was replying to the guy who posted the thread, you slipped in while I was writing :/
I'm a slippery snake.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:27   #7
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
What else is anyone going to talk about then?
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:41   #8
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
/me chucks a tory infested sunday times at pat.

|no point trying to elaborate more on what pat said, nail on the head there.

Rit's doing a good job, i've never _ever_ in my time in pa ever read two portal columns inside 1 week before rids cloumns.

Well done mate.

-Necro
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 20:45   #9
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Rumad
Well how about alliances since i have retired from command positions. I think the "WE HATE J00 RUMAD" threads are getting a tad old now after 4-5 rounds of them.

But them again I am assuming the average teen poster will get a clue :/

Prolly too much to expect :/
My post was rhetorical.
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:47   #10
K03N
Banned

K03N is an unknown quantity at this point
to start with: a column is supposed to be subjective, always!

i really don't understand why you ex-Fury people ask for another story about the impressive achievements of Sid, Biggdog, Cryptic etc.
we already know what they've done!
imo it's nice to read about the smaller alliances for a change. the people who read AD a lot are mostly people from bigger alliances; people who are a bit more interested in the politics of the game than the average pa-player. they've worked with the 'bigger' names in planetarion and have been member of the really powerfull alliances for a longer period of time.
but these people know very little about the smaller alliances in the game imo.
Legion, Fury, Xanadu etc; they all have been discussed 100 of times.
but how much do you know about the history of IPC, TFD, 'VGN', ICD, ChaoZ etc etc?
most of them are here almost since the start of the game. the communities of these alliances are most of the time a lot 'closer' than the communities of alliances with members who play to win only.
really Focht (and many others), i think you've got still a lot to learn about the smaller alliances and their HC. i hope RIT's columns can help you a bit here.
K03N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:59   #11
Mighty Max

Whether it is lies or not, it made damm good reading
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 21:59   #12
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about
I guess this thread is another fuss about nothing... as said above these articles are always subjective and I agree with that. It aint fair to dump this in a thread-agains-RIT. He's doing a good job, and yes maybe there is too subjective info, maybe it's not good. But hey, i've had pleasure in reading it.

Then another point is, why isn't RIT spammed about those who really feel like they want to have an article aswell, this is just the 2nd article, maybe another tenfold of articles will follow.

As I read this.. I"M BACKING UP RIT
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Rember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 22:12   #13
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
At least we have a portal writer whose threads are interesting enough to be discussed on AD for a change.
Be thankful i say.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 22:35   #14
Orean

Orean is an unknown quantity at this point
Fair enough, facts are in their place in an article, but you can't seriously expect it to not be written in the author's perspective, be it political or otherwise?
Unread 17 Feb 2003, 23:12   #15
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally posted by K03N

i really don't understand why you ex-Fury people ask for another story about the impressive achievements of Sid, Biggdog, Cryptic etc.
imo it's nice to read about the smaller alliances for a change. the people who read AD a lot are mostly people from bigger alliances; people who are a bit more interested in the politics of the game than the average pa-player. they've worked with the 'bigger' names in planetarion and have been member of the really powerfull alliances for a longer period of time.
but how much do you know about the history of IPC, TFD, 'VGN', ICD, ChaoZ etc etc?
most of them are here almost since the start of the game. the communities of these alliances are most of the time a lot 'closer' than the communities of alliances with members who play to win only.
really Focht (and many others), i think you've got still a lot to learn about the smaller alliances and their HC. i hope RIT's columns can help you a bit here.
I agree and disagree with you here. You are making a fleeting assessment on 'big' and 'small' alliances. The 'big three' (Legion, Fury, Xanadu) all had their respective communities and I didnt find a smaller alliance any better. Theoretically a smaller alliance should allow all the members to know eachother and thus create that stronger bond - however in practice it doesnt always happen.

There is still alot of interest in the 'big figures' for the games. I don't recall Sid ever being interviewed - then again I cant remember Biggdogg or Grendel being interviewed either. I do agree that looking at the smaller alliances is good and will quite happily admit to my flaw in that I don't know much about them personally, but I wouldn't want people to forget the bigger alliances. If there is nothing else - the experiences of these superpowers can help other alliance leaders and readers alike.

PS: I have no opposition to RIT's articles. I think its good that someone is taking the time to do it. Whilst I disliked some elements of his first article that was based entirely on my own personal opinion. He is entitled to his own, and he stated it was his opinion within the article but I still feel he could come up with some conflicting viewpoints from various sources which could provide good meat for an article.

Keep up the good work regardless.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:07   #16
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

What do RIT's articles have to do with smaller alliances? Madcows is trying to play in the major league this round, and hence isn't one of those small undiscussed alliances anymore really, and Rumad hardly is an alliance.

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:10   #17
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:

Neutrality is dull => neutrality towards the choice of subject is dull => he has to criticise his choice of subject.

r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:25   #18
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Focht - remind me to read this when sober please
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:26   #19
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo
Neutrality is dull => neutrality towards the choice of subject is dull => he has to criticise his choice of subject.
No.

BlueTuba
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:29   #20
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
My rank seems so appropriate
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:54   #21
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had a few too many drinkies tonight (3 bottles of wine so far) and as such I will have to reply to this thread. But in my drunken defence I would like to say 1) Its an article, it is meant to entertain and inform. 2) That is Rumads side of the story. 3) Any comments email me at [email protected]
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 01:06   #22
Not_RIT

Quote:
What do RIT's articles have to do with smaller alliances? Madcows is trying to play in the major league this round, and hence isn't one of those small undiscussed alliances anymore really, and Rumad hardly is an alliance.
I have seen Rumad semi nekkid and I can assure you he is enough man to be an alliance!
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 01:28   #23
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Rit-Articles

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback
What we have now is just a product of PR and cheap comradery, as neither Biggdog, Grendel, Sid, Cryptic, anyone from WAC or even some ppl from WP, NOS, ELY who builded up an alliance for rounds after rounds and went with it through defeat and victory are portraied.
rumad never had any impact on me, my galaxies, my alliance. so i really can't be bothered to read any articles on him let alone any threads he started. try to do the same...makes AD a better place

Laputa

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 01:33   #24
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
I do agree that looking at the smaller alliances is good and will quite happily admit to my flaw in that I don't know much about them personally, but I wouldn't want people to forget the bigger alliances.
In contrast, reading an article on how Vish slept with vampy would be more interesting then re-hashing the same "big three" alliances and their ordeals, heh.
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 01:35   #25
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
In contrast, reading an article on how Vish slept with vampy would be more interesting then re-hashing the same "big three" alliances and their ordeals, heh.
That wouldnt come under 'alliances' tho would it? I think it is responsability of 'opinions' :/ And it would be exciting I agree.
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 09:17   #26
K03N
Banned

Quote:

i was referring to focht asking for articles about 'bigger' names; ex-leaders of powerfull alliances.
and with all respect; madcows is no Fury (and it doesnt even come close to Xanadu hehe ).
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 09:24   #27
Not_RIT

Quote:
i was referring to focht asking for articles about 'bigger' names; ex-leaders of powerfull alliances.
and with all respect; madcows is no Fury (and it doesnt even come close to Xanadu hehe ).
My column has been active for around 5 days, gimme some time to write the articles fs
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 09:29   #28
K03N
Banned

interview Focht plz
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 09:32   #29
Not_RIT

Quote:
interview Focht plz
Gimme beer plz
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 10:12   #30
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
Gimme beer plz
gimme the anwser of my exams please
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Rember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 13:48   #31
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Rit-Articles

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback

The Cases of rumads taking over of fang and his changing relationships with his allies in r9, you might hear a more true view from other fang hc members (lo subotai) other allies (lo tot/fury command) and you would somewhere in the middle find the truth.
sure focht, I'm sure subotai (love ya m8) knows more about FAnG etc then pple who founded it like me, leff, lock etc

I'm just mocking Focht , as usual

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 14:42   #32
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
interview Focht plz
<RIT> So, what would you say was the determining factor for T&P's success in previous rounds?

<Focth> My Combine 'Arvester and Turnips.

-Necro (*giggle*)
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 14:51   #33
Sirad
Have D|ck Done Travell

Sirad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
nor do we expect / want to
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 14:54   #34
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
No.
Yes!