User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jun 2005, 09:50   #1
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I need your help: MP3 players

Ok, the time has come when I feel I should really catch up with the rest of the world and buy an MP3 player. My problem is, I can't find one that doesn't suck in one way or another.

These are the features I want...
  • 20GB storage.
  • No proprietary software required (I don't run Windows).
  • Colour screen.
  • Ability to show album art while playing.
  • Interface must not suck, e.g. having to scroll through all the songs instead of being able to select an artist/album then view the songs is a deal breaker.

Can anyone recommend one I should look closer at (apart from the iPod photo)?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 09:56   #2
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I need your help: MP3 players

I just got Mark an iRiver which I think covers all those (not sure about the album art, but I know it has a colour screen.) I think it was this one

He seems to like it.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 09:58   #3
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

you spoil him!
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:00   #4
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

I know.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:02   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebany
I just got Mark an iRiver which I think covers all those (not sure about the album art, but I know it has a colour screen.) I think it was this one

He seems to like it.
I've been looking at that one, I don't know if it does album art either but my main problem with it is that it's so damn fugly . I'd like it much more if it looked like their H10 model but it's still probably the best option I've found.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:04   #6
Ebany
Cute Kitten

That was my reason for not wanting one of those! I will say that on seeing the actual thing its not as ugly as I had thought. I got myself a Zen Micro cause it was prettier and I dont need as much space.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:11   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
I've been looking at that one, I don't know if it does album art either but my main problem with it is that it's so damn fugly . I'd like it much more if it looked like their H10 model but it's still probably the best option I've found.
my housemate has an iRiver, and he somewhat loves it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:13   #8
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Why not the ipod photo? Too expensive?
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:21   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
Why not the ipod photo? Too expensive?
Yup. That, and I'm leary of the whole iPod battery thing.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:22   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
With Album art, are you just gonna be staring at your walkman the whole time your listening to it?
No, but I'm a magpie and it's a shiny thing I want

If the iRivers aren't so fugly in real life I may have to find a shop that sells them and have a look.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:28   #11
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

If your in London goto Selfridges and go downstairs and play with all the mp3 players.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 10:30   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't get any of the Creative players. They're OK in all regards but they all (I think) rely on proprietary drivers which is a pain even if you only use Win32 machines.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 11:09   #13
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
If your in London goto Selfridges and go downstairs and play with all the mp3 players.
But not this week, because its sale time, and there are cocks queing outside the shop, and theres been one more than one punch up, heh.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 11:18   #14
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

oh, the iRivers are fine on linux too, my housemate being the Alpha Geek of our house, works primarly on linux systems.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 11:24   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
These are the features I want...
  • 20GB storage.
  • No proprietary software required (I don't run Windows).
  • Colour screen.
  • Ability to show album art while playing.
  • Interface must not suck, e.g. having to scroll through all the songs instead of being able to select an artist/album then view the songs is a deal breaker.

Can anyone recommend one I should look closer at (apart from the iPod photo)?
Here's a picture of my H320. Here's a (rather out of focus, because it's a cheap digital camera) picture of the interface, which is obviously the "song playing" one.

In this house we have a Zen Micro, iPod Mini and two iRivers (Giles's H140 and my H320), and the iRiver has by far the best computer interface. In that it has none - it's just a USB hard drive that you dump files on. For playlists, it just uses M3U files. The colour screen is bright and clear, even in the bright sunlight we've been having recently.

The only problem with the database function (a layered Artist/Album thing independent of just looking through the drive) is that it uses the ID3 tags, so if they're flawed you can have some problems (but then, iTunes uses that and that alone), but if you're like me you have music sorted by Artist/Album inherently in the directory structure, so I've never needed to use the Database function at all. The interface on the H320 is also infinitely better than the H140, according to Giles.

I don't know about album art (indeed, after about 20s the screen turns itself off as a powersaving measure, although I believe you can disable this). It has all the prerequisites though (like the ability to view pictures), and it's entirely plausable that there's some kind of third party upgrade which allows it if it's not available out of the box.

A recent firmware update gave it the ability to play short xvid's. Oh, and it can charge off the USB port. It can act as a USB host for other devices. It can record off the radio. It can record from a speaker. A nice little feature is that you can set the next song that will be playing after the current one finishes.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 24 Jun 2005 at 15:17.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 15:16   #16
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Having discovered the price of the 30GB iPod photo I have to say I'm considering that now. In conjunction with Amarok it should give me a fairly iTunes-ish management interface as far as I know. Anyone actually used Amarok with an iPod?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 15:19   #17
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

There's an ipod project for Linux Gayle. Check that out.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 15:28   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
There's an ipod project for Linux Gayle. Check that out.
http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 16:02   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Update: Just seen an iRiver H340 in the flesh and Ebany was right, it's nothing like as fugly as it's picture. probably the favourite again...
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 19:28   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have an iriver H140 and am very happy with it.
Sadly I have nothing else to add to this thread
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 19:51   #21
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I have an iriver H140 and am very happy with it.
Sadly I have nothing else to add to this thread
me niether but i'd like to point out that you're fit
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 21:02   #22
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Yup. That, and I'm leary of the whole iPod battery thing.
I know you won't get one because of the Apple / Windows based software (I assume you run some *nix variety?) but the iPod battery issues are a thing of the past. The first release of the iPod and the iPod Mini were shockingly poor, but the iPod Clickwheel and iPod Photo are good for battery - mine never lets me down.

If you are running *nix though, you're shagged anyway as you need the iPod Updater to initialise the damn thing in the first place.

And the price, which is slightly steep. Working for an Apple Authorised Reseller, I don't have that issue. Hence the xServe and the 2.5Tb xServe RAID in my bedroom... [/epenis]
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 22:03   #23
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Don't get any of the Creative players. They're OK in all regards but they all (I think) rely on proprietary drivers which is a pain even if you only use Win32 machines.
Yeah i have a nuvo something and its okay, but creative mediasource needed to copy your music to is a bitch and generally crap

Some of the zen range interest me if i ever run out of space...
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 22:15   #24
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
I know you won't get one because of the Apple / Windows based software (I assume you run some *nix variety?) but the iPod battery issues are a thing of the past. The first release of the iPod and the iPod Mini were shockingly poor, but the iPod Clickwheel and iPod Photo are good for battery - mine never lets me down.
Good to know, even if only for reference.

Now found the Archos Gmini 400 and think it's rather shiny, anyone know what they're like?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 01:41   #25
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you should just buy a normal mp3 player and then if youre that desperate for colours and pretty pictures, spend the money you save on a pack of crayons and some drawing paper.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 13:03   #26
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just thought you'd like to know that Apple have upgraded their normal iPods to have Colour Screens - so the iPod photo is now basically just a normal iPod. 20GB storage for £209 - and yes, you can display album art