User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:17   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question The Scottish Parliamentary Elections - A Referendum on Blair's handling of Iraq?

Obviously, the diddy piece of **** parliamentary elections are up in May of this year.

Now, i wouldnt really care, usually. Our parliament is ****. It cant rescue a cat from the tree without Mr Blair's permission. Im still a good 11 months off being able to vote. Plus, youd be surprised how few Scots know that Jack McConnell is our first minister.

However.

The SNP in all their ****ness are going to be a helluva lot closer to Labour this time. If they become the majority party in Scotland, they will probably still not get in because of the LibLab co-allition, but it will be a sorry state of affairs. Perhaps the liberals would jump on board with the SNP. Perhaps not. Either way it runs the risk of independance, which im thoroughly against as i enjoy the benefits the Union of Britain brings.

You might think, i dont live in Scotland, what does this have to do with me?

It seems to me the entire basis of this election is to judge whether or not the public are going to eject mr blair or not. Of course the results will be diluted somewhat, as the majority of people here would rather vote SNP or Liberal than change to the Conservatives, but its still an interesting point.

Id also like to hold Scotland up as an example of why proportional representation doesnt work.

You reckon im reading too much into this? Is it too early to tell? Has Mr Blair already done the damage to McConnell, regardless of what happens in Iraq?

I admit politics is not my strong point, so if anyone has any valid opinions or relevant facts (The seats won in the first scottish parliamentary election would be nice), then im eager to read them.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:23   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I tihnk it's inevitable that Labour will lose much ground in these mid-term elections. The SNP won't become the dominant party, lord no, and I doubt it's going to result in coalition change in The Scottish parliament, but they'll definetley get a kick in the teeth after The Iraq debacle, no doubt about it. Whether it results in more gains for The Liberals of The Snp, or whether it's evenly spread, we shall have to see.

Mid-term elections are generally bad for the government's party, and this one will be especially bad, I be thinking, in the wake of what's happening at the present time.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:44   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
how much power does that parliament have? (i.e. does blair even have to care?)

oh, and if its in may, most likely everything will be over by then, one way or the other, so people wont care about it anymore.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:46   #4
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you could be right, if the midden doesn't hit the windmill before may, the scottish parliament elections could be a pretty true referendum on Blair, since in scotland there is a true country-wide opposite party, unlike the rest of britian.

I'd hate to call it though. atm I see it going 50-50 between Labour/liberals and the SNP. prog: The Tories(!) could decide who gets in in scotland.

scary.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:50   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ELeeming
The Tories(!) could decide who gets in in scotland.
The Tories won't be able to form a viable coalition with any of the main parties, though.
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:53   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
It has law making powers regarding Education, Health, and The Enviroment for Scotland. It also has limited tax-raising powers.

Everything else is done from Westminster. The Scottish Parlaiment has no power over Blair or Westminster, but it will be an important election to guage what people (Scottish people, at least.) feel about Blair.
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:53   #7
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
The Tories won't be able to form a viable coalition with any of the main parties, though.
True, but if they stay pro-war, they will take votes from labour; if they go anti-war, they will take votes from the SNP.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2003, 12:54   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax

oh, and if its in may, most likely everything will be over by then, one way or the other, so people wont care about it anymore.
Despite what supporters of it would like to think, very few. The main power it has is to alter tax rates. When we had the referendum here on whether we wanted a parliament or not, we also had "should this parliament have powers to alter tax rates"

All but two constituencies voted Yes/Yes. The others voted Yes/No (orkney and shetland if i remember correctly).

People willstill care then. Theyll think back and go " oh. labour. iraq **** up. bad. other lot better. me vote"

Fickle, etc etc

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote