User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 12 Jul 2011, 12:00   #1
nooboo

nooboo will become famous soon enoughnooboo will become famous soon enough
Scan Costs

The idea to have scan costs less due to the amount of amps you have has been interesting. But to me it would make more sense to maybe make the cost dependent on the difference between the amount of amps the scanner has to the amount of dists the person being scanned has.

Cost then would be cheap as chips if the scanner has 100 amps, planet scanned has 1 dist, but if scanner has 100, planet has 99 the cost is high, as its a 'harder' scan.

To me this makes more sense, that cost is linked more to the 'difficulty' of each scan, that said i am aware that me and sense are only occasional friends!
nooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2011, 17:47   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Scan Costs

The major issue I would see with this would be how would you know how much the scan was going to cost you before you tried it? If you don't have enough resources for the scan what happens? It would seem that if the guy you're trying to scan has too many distorters and the scan fails the game would be giving you information about how many distorters the target has for free.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2011, 10:19   #3
nooboo

nooboo will become famous soon enoughnooboo will become famous soon enough

personally i would set it to always give the maximum cost, so any saving due to the scan being easy is just that... a saving.

by always having it state the max amount you also wouldnt know he dist amount any more than now, the benefit would just be finding many scans are cheaper than you would expect, you could even reflect this by stating how much of each the scan cost after it was performed, right at the top.

edit: though i guess you could still work out dist amount by the saving it would only be a rough calc, a lot quicker and easier to just do a dev scan!! if this is still too revealing you could have the res added a the end of each tick...a bonus for scan ease which would complicate matters due to the amount of scans often done each tick
nooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2011, 11:55   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
the game would be giving you information about how many distorters the target has for free.
I don't think that's a serious problem. I have a solution anyway, though: allow people to choose how hard they'll try. By default, scanners would use the weakest possible scan, using only 1 amp, which also costs the least. If that doesn't work, they might choose to use 10 amps, or 20. If that doesn't work, maybe 50 or all of them.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2011, 08:15   #5
Will
Planetarion Support Team Member

Will is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I have a solution anyway, though: allow people to choose how hard they'll try. By default, scanners would use the weakest possible scan, using only 1 amp, which also costs the least. If that doesn't work, they might choose to use 10 amps, or 20. If that doesn't work, maybe 50 or all of them.
As a former scanner, I'd be against anything that increases the amount of work needed to get each scan done (work which would be trivial to add to those scan bots I'm aware of and yet would affect real scanners negatively).

As an alternative, maybe the cost could be decreased by a small amount for each successful scan up to a limit, a bit like the way stealth increases per covop success, with the bonus reset on failure.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote