User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 May 2007, 14:41   #1
rasputini
Love monkey

rasputini is an unknown quantity at this point
wave strength/distortion population settings

With the diminishing player base, it seems a waste to have to have every ally burn 5-10 semi-active to active players as dedicated scanners. I propose that waves strength/wave distortion should be population settings, with % population settings and % construction bonuses (capped ofc). The cap for both should make it so that if you have maxed wave strength, you can still scan maxed wave distortion. This way, anyone can be a scanner at any point if they've done the research and want to dedicate the population to it.
Unread 8 May 2007, 16:45   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: wave strength/distortion population settings

Might actually be a good idea.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2007, 21:01   #3
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Scanning as it is right now is meaningless, at least. I'm scanning this round and it's not only boring, but it's repetetive and, well it's quite frankly a poor setup.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2007, 21:43   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have to admit I kind of like it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2007, 21:46   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I like the aim of the idea, but somehow it doesn't seem "right" to me.

What I'd prefer is to get rid of amps/distorters and have "RF Generators" - each "RF Generator" can produce X RF power, where Z=const*ln(number of RF engineers in building). If you have 3 buildings, each has the total number of engineers divided by 3.

You then assign people to be RF engineers, and then sub assign to either scanning or blocking.

What does this mean?

It means that you get mroe scanning/distorter power the more people you have assigned to the tasks, but with exponentially decreasing returns - this means that it is still a benefit to build more "RF Generators", but its possible to get by with only one assuming you were to manage your planet in such a way as to get high populaiton growth...

What does this assume?

A planets population should have a use.
I haven't confused people too much by talking about natural logs (ln)

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2007, 22:57   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd prefer to base it on population than population and constructions - that way low scoring and new planets aren't as penalised for having fewer generators.
Unread 8 May 2007, 23:04   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I'd prefer to base it on population than population and constructions - that way low scoring and new planets aren't as penalised for having fewer generators.
I'm unconvinced they would be that penalised - assuming constructions arn't that much like they are today.

Assuming constructions in general are revamped so they require people to staff them, take up physical space (so you are limited in the number you have), its quite possible then that haveing more than 2-3 generators would be very rare and in essence require a decision to be a dedicated scanner.

Now what that means is that only dedicated scanners OR planets with very large populations would have the capability to have a large wave blocking power - therefore the majority of people would be free to do scans on the majority of people.

Also if we make population assignments much more flexible e.g. you can change them at any time, it means we add a benefit to activity i.e. you could prioritise wave blocking and security between ticks, but res/con/mining/production during the tick (this obviously then means that the active scanners will pick that time to scan/covert op).

I think that by combining population with all the games current features we can produce a much deeper and more interesting game. The challenge though, is to make sure that its possible to do "ok" at the game without going into the depths of micromanagement (especially if a lot of the micromanagement features are paid only)

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote