User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Jun 2007, 10:45   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Flexible Research

I had a quick glance and this (surprisingly) doesn't seem to have been suggested yet.

I really like the idea of the Population thing. It took me a while to understand and get used to, but essentially it's pretty simple. The sliding scales allow a customisable interface that affects your planet, but not enough to give a new player a huge disadvantage.

I was wondering if PA Team had considered something similar for Research? Now it's all based on points (rather than ticks), it really is more flexible.

Would it be possible to have a sliding scale for the different branches of the tree? So, in theory, you could have 2-3 researches all ongoing at the same time (but would obviously take longer)? For example, 20% on Travel Time, 50% on HCT, 30% on Ship Research.

The disadvantages
  • It might seem more complicated to new players.
  • It requires more coding.

The advantages
  • Those who want to just do the old fashioned thing of 1 research to completion, then the next research to completion, can still do that by sliding 100% research onto one area (eg: Travel Time).
  • It's ongoing - you don't have to keep logging in to click the next research.
  • It allows for more flexibility within the game.

Example 1:
I want to go away for the weekend, and would like to have my Travel Time research finished as well as my ship research. I simply turn them on, and they slowly progress along with each other. I come back from the weekend, and both are done!

Example 2:
I often like to research Travel Time before doing my Heavy Cargo Transfers. I'd like it if I could put (say) 10% on travel time from the word go, so it effectively ticks along, while I then spend the other 90% of research in other areas (ship research, construction research, HCT etc) accordingly.

So - thoughts? Criticisms?
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 11:17   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Flexible Research

I like it.
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 11:35   #3
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

sounds great.

just wondering though:

if one research completes and the other is still ongoing (use the 90-10 example above, the 90% ending first).... would you still only use 10% of your research on the secondary (since that's what you set), or would you want it to automatically bump to 100% (since thats what's available)?

just wondered

overall i like the idea though

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 13:23   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

If this was done I would do the following:

- when a research completes the next one in the same branch automatically starts
- I'd make it a paid only feature, free accounts would only be able to select one branch to research at a time.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 13:25   #5
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
- I'd make it a paid only feature, free accounts would only be able to select one branch to research at a time.
It's rare enough I would agree with you on anything but that is actually a good idea. By which I mean generally improving res/con functionality for paying players while not crippling free accounts unnecessarily.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 13:30   #6
Bedda0815
jerk

Bedda0815 is on a distinguished road

sounds interessting

but in my opinion there would be a disadvantage

if you could start 3-5 researches and set them all to 10-40% it would take ages till they finish so you could log out and come back in a week or so
you could also research these 1 by 1 and it would take the same amount of time

so what's the reason for being "online all the time"?
being more active should give you an advantage

to counter that it could be possible to limit the effectivity of multiple researches

eg: documenting the research results you've already made takes 10% (or any other number) of your research points
so if you're doing 1 research 10% are "lost" due to documentation and you're researching at a speed of 90%
if you're doing 3 reseaches at the same time, 30% are lost and you can assign parts of the 70% you've left to the 3 researches.
Bedda0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 13:58   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedda0815
so what's the reason for being "online all the time"?
being more active should give you an advantage
Perhaps, but (in my opinion) the priorities change anyway. At the beginning you want to get your HCT up and running, then after that you probably go for ship research. Then where? Back to HCT or onto some travel research?

You'd probably need to change these every 48 hours or so anyway.

I'm not really that keen on the "you have to be active to win" thing anyway, especially for research/constructions. That's just my view though, as I'm lazy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Achi's already said this but yeah - excellent idea.
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 15:22   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like the idea a lot, gg TomKat.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2007, 17:07   #9
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Is there any real need for this? It'll probably take quite a bit of coding for little benefit, there are other areas of the game which need more attention.

I'd say the current system is fine as it is. If you can't login for a long period of time then pause your current research and start a very long one.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2007, 00:57   #10
AV.
Number 34

AV. is on a distinguished road

Well for what my opinion is worth, I think it's a great idea. Research this round has seemed perhaps the one area that needs a little tweaking and this kind of customisation could make it much more interesting. I have no idea how hard it is to code, but I agree it should only be a paid-feature if it was ever introduced.
AV. is offline   Reply With Quote