User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 00:13   #1
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Wave Distorters...

...clearly should have no effect against allied planets' scans.

They're meant to stop hostile scans, after all.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 00:37   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: Wave Distorters...

but then the hostiel scanner woudl just adjust his scanners to the frequency your alliance uses

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 02:04   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think planets in an alliance would have a coded frequency to communicate with.

*cough*

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 03:46   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
You'd think planets in an alliance would have a coded frequency to communicate with.
private irc?

-mist
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 04:06   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Wave Distorters...

Quote:
...clearly should have no effect against allied planets' scans.

They're meant to stop hostile scans, after all.
What if you're being attacked by an allied planet?* Or what if your alliance has sold you out and is feeding scan info to your attackers? Wouldn't the scans then, in fact, be hostile?

I'm not sure why alliances need any more advantages. Also, having distorters block both friendly and hostile scans is a disincentive to building them (in addition to the cost, ofc). If that disincentive is removed then it's very likely that more distorters will be built, making scanning of hostile targets generally harder for everyone and/or forcing more resources to be diverted to builiding amplifiers--neither of which strikes me as an especially desirable outcome.

In general, I think the whole amplifier/distorter paradigm is flawed--but that's for another thread.

*Since I'm not playing, I don't know if attacks on alliance members are allowed and the Alliance page in the manual doesn't mention it. :/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 04:30   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

as most alliances have scan planets, is there any point building distorters?

-mist
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 05:56   #7
Spymine

Spymine has a little shameless behaviour in the past

isnt the flaw in the current system the following:

-) scan planets build amplifiers in big numbers and therebey defeating the attempt to hide behind distorters
-) big planets only build distorters to prevent fleet scans on them when attacking

so you would find noone building both

couldnt you solve this problem by only allowing jgp by eta 5 fleets - doing this you would require scan planets either to send an attacking fleet with the main attacker (and thereby helping multi hunters to find cheats) or forcing bigger planets also to invest into amplifiers

with this feature you even out this discrepancy of having scanners who scan all they want

<Wabbit> well, i guess learning by experience is better than being told - and having half the universe attacking you is a pretty big experience
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 06:08   #8
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
private irc?
Doesn't do much good when they're not on irc, does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus

*Since I'm not playing, I don't know if attacks on alliance members are allowed and the Alliance page in the manual doesn't mention it. :/

You cannot attack a member of your own alliance, nor do covert ops on them.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 06:09   #9
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Doesn't do much good when they're not on irc, does it.
that was rather my point about communicating on coded frequencies...

-mist
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 07:24   #10
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
as most alliances have scan planets, is there any point building distorters?
As most scanners these days are quite sucky, yes.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 18:05   #11
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymine
couldnt you solve this problem by only allowing jgp by eta 5 fleets - doing this you would require scan planets either to send an attacking fleet with the main attacker (and thereby helping multi hunters to find cheats) or forcing bigger planets also to invest into amplifiers
Or how about giving all ships at the same eta on the jumpgate scan.

And remove amps and distorters. It only leads to scanplanets (an advantage for the big alliances). Building distorters as a strategy is not the way people should play. This is a war game, not a who-can-build-most-distorters game.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 18:22   #12
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I'm not sure why alliances need any more advantages.

In general, I think the whole amplifier/distorter paradigm is flawed--but that's for another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
And remove amps and distorters. It only leads to scanplanets (an advantage for the big alliances).
What they say.

The scanning system has always worked blatantly to the advantage of alliances and against new and single players. It's a lot better in PAX than in PA, but it's still giving big alliances an advantage over small ones, or unallied players, that in at least my opinion is not justified. Big alliances have enough advantages as it is, the game does not need to be rigged in their favour.

So I'd be for removing amps and distorters entirely.
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 19:37   #13
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

I'm inclined to agree with Eol. With the following reasoning:

In old PA scans gave pretty complete information, to the extent where the game could (and generally would) be completely predictable if you had the right scans. Jammers vs amps helped alleviate this problem slightly. Of course, making amps cheaper than jammers might not have been the most brilliant of ideas, especially not when you could blow up the former but not the latter.

Anyway, the new set of scans are a lot better. They make PA itself (and not just the alliance metagame) a partial information game. It keeps the early round fun going a lot stronger in the later periods. And gone are the days of 'calc, launch, scan, calc, land/recall' ad nauseum.

Distorters are directly contested between an attacking and defending planet in one case and one case only: for fleet scans.

So removing distorters and amps would change the partial information game in terms of scanning only for faking fleets on planets with fleet scans. It would mean a little less incentive to play a half-assed, semi-active, paid planet. Though I guess that can be counter-acted by improving covert-operations a bit.

I'm not entirely sure it's a definitive 'right thing' to do, but without delving further into it my initial opinion is for removing amps and distorters.
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 20:57   #14
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

id vote against removing amps and distorters myself, yes it is a war game, but wheres the war without the intel? 'can i actually overcome that planets ships? does he have the resources, research, factories to build defence? (early game) does he have defence?' without this info people would be more reluctant to attack leading to a slower game. if people want to build lots of distorters, let them, it just means i have to take longer to find someone with more amps than me.

well, that is my humble opinion anyway.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 02:28   #15
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Wave Distorters...

Its not broken so don't fix it ok.
You dont have to buy distorters ITS A CHOICE and it costs aswell so if someone wants to waste loadsa money on them for them to get cov oped etc.. then let them just like if you want to scan planets and not bum of everyone else then build amps.

Its a useful tool and ppl use it so leave it the way it is.

Just give us Military scans aswell though coz they was awesom hehe

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 21:18   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

Re: [Discuss] Wave Distorters...

if they were to add a ship with 0 eta and the ability to kill any enemy ships at any planets it attacked, you'd have a choice as to whether you built it or not. however, it'd still be a stupid thing to do

-mist
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 18:40   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I am approving this becuase it will make people more inclined to buidl distortoers meaning they will have a use, there are some potential secuity issues which may need tobe addressed but this should not be a problem.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 6 Dec 2004, 23:37   #18
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I am approving this becuase it will make people more inclined to buidl distortoers meaning they will have a use, there are some potential secuity issues which may need tobe addressed but this should not be a problem.
What do you refer to with 'this' exactly?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 23:47   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
What do you refer to with 'this' exactly?
the original post

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread