User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 19:02   #1
Idi

I.E. keeps opening my zip files

ok ages ago i guess i clicked 'open' rather than 'save as' when i.e. was downloading a zip file, so now whenever i do it opens them rather than saves them..

how can i changes this back please?
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 19:22   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
er?
It should ask you every time. Well, mine does and so does every other machine I've ever used.

Time to consider the standard Microsoft fixing method I think.

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 20:18   #3
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Go to the file extention properties (folder options > file types), select the apropriate extention, and make sure confirm open after download is ticked.
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 21:23   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
this has to be one of my main gripes with windows, if you or someone by mistake check a box that makes windows do something exclusively to the "other" option it can be a pain to find the place to undo it. :/
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 01:14   #5
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
this has to be one of my main gripes with windows, if you or someone by mistake check a box that makes windows do something exclusively to the "other" option it can be a pain to find the place to undo it. :/
You mean when you ask it do something via the options on the dialog its an arse that it does what you asked it ?!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 02:09   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 06:57   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
You mean when you ask it do something via the options on the dialog its an arse that it does what you asked it ?!
Yes, because having to manually edit the registry or spend hours hunting around obscure submenus to undo a one time decision you made is certainly the sign of well thought out design. Also, not having a nice easy way to edit your MIME associations is certainaly a good feature in a modern day web browser.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:01   #8
Idi

the windows interface isnt intuitive if you are drunk or stoned :/
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 17:59   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Yes, because having to manually edit the registry or spend hours hunting around obscure submenus to undo a one time decision you made is certainly the sign of well thought out design. Also, not having a nice easy way to edit your MIME associations is certainaly a good feature in a modern day web browser.
open a folder -> view -> folder options -> file types -> advanced

ensure confirm open after download is set

select Action 'open'

click edit

ensure correct application is set up to open file.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 18:06   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
What browser do you recommend then, smartypants?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 12:18   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
open a folder -> view -> folder options -> file types -> advanced

ensure confirm open after download is set

select Action 'open'

click edit

ensure correct application is set up to open file.
What kind of badly designed web-browser forces you to change your system wide settings just to make it download files properly? Also, doing this cant make IE always open files or always save them to disk, it still annoys you with the download popup dialog whenever you click something that isnt handled by a plugin (as far as I know).

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
What browser do you recommend then, smartypants?
guess

Last edited by Nodrog; 6 Feb 2003 at 12:42.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 15:31   #12
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Right click the zip file, select open with. make sure 'always open file type' is checked and then select winzip.

If 'open with' doesn't show up when you right click the file, hold left shift when right clicking it and it'll show up.