User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:13   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Arrow PA for sale

For those of you who don't click announcements anymore

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus

As many off you are aware, this round 8 off Planetarion is coming to an end on the 23rd of December 2002. Many will also know that Fifth Season AS, the company which owns Planetarion, has announced that they will no longer develop nor support the game and community off Planetarion and today are announcing the opening off bids for the sale off the game Planetarion.

Fifth Seasons AS, is aware it will never make back the financial commitment it has invested into the games development, but do understand the communities desire to continue being part of this game and hope its new owners will developing Planetarion with its playing community at heart. So, if your company believes it can benefit from owning a massive multiplayer online game which has proven stability with nearly 180,000 users in one round and an over 6,000 existing paying customer base, then please don’t hesitate in contacting me.

I am not going to bore you with all the “Firsts” Planetarion has been in the online gaming scene, or how the game is more than just an online game to its loyal community. I am not even going to list all the benefits and possibilities there is with owning Planetarion. The “right” buyer will already know about Planetarion & its community and not be just a company who wishes to purchase purely for commercial reasons.

The sale will include:

All code developed and pertaining to the Planetarion game.
Alliance hosting (conditional)
The www.planetarion.com domain & name.
The Planetarion Forums & user base.
The Planetarion Portal (conditional)

What you will need to support the game Planetarion:

Bandwidth:
5-6mbits (peak time) serving approx 1 Million pages per day
Peak info for busiest day: 21.420.353 kb, 1.824.117 pages
For October, we pushed 525GB of data over the internet link, 38Mill pages, 87Mill hits. 194.316 unique IP addresses accessed us.
Hardware
1 * Fast dual processor database server with a scsi raid controller, running Sybase or MSSQL.
4-6 * Normal web servers PIII 500+ with 1 GB memory with large hard drive capacity, RedHat 6.2, with a 2.4.x kernel

Forums: Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache.
Alliance Hosting : Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache.
Portal: Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache

Offers are to be made via emailing to [email protected] or contacting me directly on IRC.netgamers.org nickname “Zeus” to discuss it. I stress, only serious bidders please we don’t have time to waste. NO bids will be accepted AFTER December 3rd 2002 and on the 4th December 2002 Fifth Season AS will make their decision. We are seeking to complete this sale as soon as possible so that Planetarion can continue as well as minimise the disruption to the community.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:16   #2
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 35 cents in my wallet.
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:17   #3
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
i have £0.84, maybe we could start a consortium!

on a more serious note what are the possibilities the game could continue?
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:17   #4
Cocaine

is it being sold auction style ?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:18   #5
[GAP]Obiwan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
is it being sold auction style ?
In a way, i assume they will sell it to the person with the highest 'bid'???

How much do you reckon they'll get for it?
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:21   #6
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan

on a more serious note what are the possibilities the game could continue?
Possible, if someone with enough cash and time comes along.

It's not only the initial buying, buy the running costs (bandwidth, etc) and the time it would need put into it.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:22   #7
Cocaine

I cant honestly see anybody buying it.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:25   #8
Cocaine

Quote:

In a way, i assume they will sell it to the person with the highest 'bid'???

i mean are the bids secret or public
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:27   #9
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine

i mean are the bids secret or public
What, does this look like ebay?

heh

it's probably not an auction, as it says 'Offers are to be made via emailing to [email protected] or contacting me directly on IRC.netgamers.org nickname “Zeus” to discuss it.'

So not really an auction I presume.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:29   #10
[GAP]Obiwan

Would be funny if they did sell it on ebay though

I could see it now.....

For sale: Planetarion

An online game that has ruined the social life of thousands worldwide - buy it today and see how many lives you can destroy!

Opening bid:

$0.01
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:29   #11
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla

What, does this look like ebay?

heh

it's probably not an auction, as it says 'Offers are to be made via emailing to [email protected] or contacting me directly on IRC.netgamers.org nickname “Zeus” to discuss it.'

So not really an auction I presume.
true true, i should probably pay more attention

although i would have thought it would be in "the creators" best interest to auction it, maybe in private
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:41   #12
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Ebay.......
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:47   #13
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
Egay.......
Fixed it for you
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:47   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

£5.64.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:52   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
How can I interest banks with this? I need SOME info regarding the price please.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 14:58   #16
morpheuz

Its a sad day indeed when ppl(spinner and co) give up their "followers"

now im glad i got addicted to eq instead..
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:01   #17
Legolas
State of Bliss

Legolas is an unknown quantity at this point
Creators dont work for Fifth Season anymore.

Only the investors would profit.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:06   #18
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Start a co-op. I have £53.36 in my wallet, and server space the boards, AH or something could run on.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:15   #19
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
I would not underestimate the sheer size of it. It's not something you can run from your bedroom.

Anyway, I made some calls and sent some mail. If it's not TOO costly, (because if you want to do this you need cooled server room space, contacts with bandwith suppliers, a never-ending-source-of-hardware and a lot of knowledge) I may be able to get a quote on this 'pet project' later this week.

PA may not be dead. But don't think it's going to be free or something.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:19   #20
morpheuz

free pa that was the days..
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:20   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
'Sponsorship'?

Or if that fails, let's call BW again \o/
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:31   #22
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
'Sponsorship'?

Or if that fails, let's call BW again \o/
Nah.

BW will run away screaming... :P

Sponsorship should not be the way. I happen to do this 'database hosting' for a living, so I know my way around these things.

Sadly, it's gonna cost you, some way or the other. But, as this is all very hypothetical, let me wait on those other quotes and we'll see where we can get.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 15:52   #23
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Im working on a bid
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 16:12   #24
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Cheese

They made it teh stickeh!!!
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 16:22   #25
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I heard they're getting Zeus to go to Portobello road and sell it from a barrow. Is this true?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 16:28   #26
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
I heard they're getting Zeus to go to Portobello road and sell it from a barrow. Is this true?
No way!

He will do it behind a seedy trainstation in an outskirt of Liverpool. Portobello road implies SOME dignity.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 16:53   #27
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn

No way!

He will do it behind a seedy trainstation in an outskirt of Liverpool. Portobello road implies SOME dignity.
giving it to zeus to sell from a barrow implies he has some marketing ability - could this really be the case?

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 16:58   #28
[GAP]Obiwan

funnyilly enough i was in portabello road last week and did see a man selling 'electronical stuff' out of a suitcase!

<true story>
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:01   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
funnyilly enough i was in portabello road last week and did see a man selling 'electronical stuff' out of a suitcase!
I'll bet there was a little sign hanging up with 'Hellhectwoniks' on it as well.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:03   #30
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla

Fixed it for you
See?
Not all mods are annoying selifish cnuts........
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:27   #31
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
is the sale open to anyone...or just to members of the community? I heard from an unnamed source that Spinner said he would not accept non pa players as buyers...
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:31   #32
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
<straight face>

why not just give it to the people who've made the game what it is today. let zokum/goldeneye take over and continue to work their magic.

</straight face>

Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:44   #33
Karmulian

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
is the sale open to anyone...or just to members of the community? I heard from an unnamed source that Spinner said he would not accept non pa players as buyers...
spinner doesn't get alot of input into it

its the board of directors(owners of FSAS) that are selling the products off
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:47   #34
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
this will result in gold.

surely there is one rich pa player

heh

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:48   #35
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
this will result in gold.
For all?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:50   #36
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
for zeus

he will accept the first bid, and run off somewhere ****ter than ireland if he can find such a hell.

spinner and co wont see a penny, heh

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:52   #37
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
get one of those 10mbit sweedish BBB connections and run it from home.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:09   #38
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Who exactly owns FSAS?
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:15   #39
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Lakhim
Who exactly owns FSAS?
Santa.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:15   #40
Idi

Wasnt there some twat once with loads of money that wanted to invest in PA?

He was a twat!
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:17   #41
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
Wasnt there some twat once with loads of money that wanted to invest in PA?

He was a twat!
yeah i remember him

anyways

Lots of people seem to be hinting that either FS sacked spinner, spinner quit or else FS went bankrupt and is now in the control of creditors or something like that

Just WTF is going on?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:25   #42
Karmulian

Although i know the answer

not my place to say - i'll see if i can get zeus to do a post
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:30   #43
Idi

Someone "higher up than most" told me that Spinner quit and 5th Season are bankrupt (hence 'delay' of crappy football game).

They need this cash to pay off creditors and launch InterGoal 2003!
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:32   #44
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Ill take from this "SPINNER IS SACKED!!!!!", and disregard everything in the thread.

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:34   #45
Bigchiefweale

Quote:
It's not something you can run from your bedroom.

I could \o/
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:35   #46
Idi

Quote:
I would not underestimate the sheer size of it. It's not something you can run from your bedroom.
You didn't play round 1 did you?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:41   #47
SectorX

I have $8,000 to spare.

Would that cover it?

Didn't think so.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:43   #48
Bigchiefweale

Quote:
Originally posted by SectorX
I have $8,000 to spare.

Would that cover it?

Didn't think so.
Ill take it if its spare. I am uber poor
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:44   #49
Karmulian

actually it was run from a front room
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:46   #50
SectorX

Heh.

The most I could get together would be $14,000.