User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Aug 2006, 23:22   #1
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Jury Duty

I was looking through my mail, and found a notice for Jury Duty. This is the 4th time in the past 8 years that I have received this notification. Luckily I've not been called the previous 3 times, but I'm debating as to whether or not I should just throw it away, or do my civic duty.

I guess the worse that would happen is that I show up for the 50 bucks you get for appearing, and then get told to go home because I don't think any defence lawyer's going to want a juror with a degree in legal office administration who's worked in a law office for a short period of time in the last year or so.

So, what do you guys think I should do, toss the notification, or be a good citizen and show up?

Edit: I doubt putting I'm an HC for an Alliance on an online game is going to suffice for valid reasoning for dismissal.
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 23:58   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Jury Duty

turn up ofc.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 00:01   #3
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What's that funny quote, our peers are judged by people unable to evade jury duty or something? I forget, but it is funny. I have only ever evaded jury duty once. (I had moved to another state). My experience with friends has been that you usually are dismissed if you have too many speeding tickets or are too liberal, so I probably wont ever be selected to sit in on anything anyways.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 00:14   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Bring your camera to make snapshots for your family
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 09:12   #5
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have jury service on the 4th september at Birmingham Crown Court. That should be fun. I deffered it for a year.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 09:16   #6
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

One of my friends told me to just tell the judge that I hate everyone, that should get me discharged and on my way.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 09:55   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I'd love to be on a jury. Especially if all the other jurors thought he was guilty but I decided to say he was innocent so that we'd be sequestered in luxury accomodation for a while. "I think he should walk away a free hotel!"
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 10:15   #8
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I'd love to be on a jury. Especially if all the other jurors thought he was guilty but I decided to say he was innocent so that we'd be sequestered in luxury accomodation for a while. "I think he should walk away a free hotel!"
Generally you don't see much sequestering, my dad sat in on a murder trial and didn't even get sequestered.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 12:22   #9
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Do UK juries have majority verdicts (13-1)? Or must they be unanimous?
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 12:28   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been called up 3 times, been there 2 of them. Can't say I regret it, it was a useful experience. Even thought the rape-case was nasty.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 19:28   #11
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you don't show then you forfeit all right to bitch about the system for all of eternity.

It really isn't so much to ask of a citizen who is willing to accept all of the benefits of society. At least you aren't being drafted and sent to Iraq.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 19:37   #12
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I got jury duty summons in the mail today! WTF Jinx Post hoc ergo propter hoc or something.
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 19:53   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
Do UK juries have majority verdicts (13-1)? Or must they be unanimous?
well the thread starter is american (in case you were confused - though I always thought americans were easy to spot even in a medium which masks their ghastly penetrating accents).

In Britain we have 12 people on a jury and a majority ruling is available AFTER a sustained period of deliberation.

So after what the judge and both side's barristers agree has been a 'reasonable' length of time (depending on the accusation and the complexity of the evidence) a jusy will be allowed to give an 11-1 majority verdict. After a greater length of time they MAY be allowed to give a 10-2 verdict.

Majority verdicts are very discretionary and hence tend to be down played and not often used. At the start of deliberations the jury is expressly told to reach a unanimous verdict. After the relevant time the judge tends to probe a bit by asking "if you had the option of an 11-1 verdict would that help you reach a conclusion?" and I have heard juries say no.

If, after a long period, the jury can not reach a verdict then in England and Wales a not guilty verdict is given for them - though in Scotland this would be termed a "not proved" verdict (because Scotland has this 3rd option which English and Welsh juries do not)
Unread 10 Aug 2006, 20:51   #14
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Given that the courthouse I'm being summoned to isn't the main courthouse, the probability is that I am more than likely to sit in on a civil trial, which uses 6 member juries in the State of Inidana.
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 01:58   #15
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

just say your prejudice against all races and theyll ask you to go hojme
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 02:26   #16
s|k
Caveat Lector

WTF man, quit bumping threads dickhead.
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:20   #17
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never been called up for jury duty.

Where do they get your details from for calling you up? The electoral role? (as that'd probably be why - I'm not on it as I'm a Jersey national and never bothered to register for it in the UK while at uni).
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:23   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The electoral roll?
Yeah. Now I'm on it (thanks my idiot housemate ) I'm hoping to get called up.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:43   #19
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

What happens in terms of employment whilst on jury duty? Some cases can drag on for ages, are you still entitled to keep your job and do you get compensation from someone for loss of pay?
________
Buy marijuana seeds

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 07:02.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 11:43   #20
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yahwe is a re trial automatically ordered if there is no decision from the jury to convict? i never realised unanimous verdicts were explicitly sought.
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 16:17   #21
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouRiQueT
What happens in terms of employment whilst on jury duty? Some cases can drag on for ages, are you still entitled to keep your job and do you get compensation from someone for loss of pay?
Most (if not all) US companies allow for Jury Duty, it doesn't count towards time off, but you can't use vacation days or anything to be paid during Jury Duty, you do however get 50 bucks to show up and 40 bucks a day to be there. Although if they really wanted to get more people to actually not find excuses to get out, they would make the compensation higher, say around 100 bucks a day.

Edit: Most trials (in US) last only a day or two, some criminal cases can last longer depending on the number of 'charges' or crimes the individual (or group) is charged with. It's extremely rare for trials (at least in my state) to go longer than a week.
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 19:25   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Yahwe is a re trial automatically ordered if there is no decision from the jury to convict? i never realised unanimous verdicts were explicitly sought.
The CPS goes away and 'reviews' it's evidence and then makes an application to have a re-trial. That application is contested by the defence so it all depends on a case by case basis
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 21:08   #23
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In the US a retrial is automatic unless the prosecution choses not to proceed. This usually depends on the case and upon the split. 11-1 for guilty we ask for retrial 11-1 for aquital, the case is dismissed.

In California, the jury duty pay is only $15 per day but if your employer doesn't pay for jury duty for the entire length of the trial you can be excused for a financial hardship. As a result we don't have many small business owners on juries, nor do we have many who work for companies such as Walmart who pay for very few days of jury duty.

There are many problems with the jury system but not as many as without it (imo).
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 21:17   #24
Yahwe
I am.

I like juries in practice though the theory makes my brain bleed. Somehow they work.

regarding cash a British company is required to give you the time off (not deducted from holidays) and continue paying your salary.

we don't actually pay juries anything, though we do pay witnesses. in practice there are expenses for jurors.

It is very hard to get out of jury duty in the UK