User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Oct 2007, 15:39   #1
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
[Long] Half Life

This will bore you if you’re not into the Half Life story line / games. I know quite a few people here are so thought I’d open a discussion into the story.

-----

So yesterday, I decrypted my pre downloaded copies of Portal and Half Life Two Episode Two. I first played Episode 2 and completed it on hard mode in just over 6 hours. I then played through portal, trying to get an insight as to the link that is given between it and the HL series in Ep2. It took me just over 3 and a half hours to finish.

Both games were extremely good.

Portal for me was more than expected, it was great fun to play. The little robot voice that appeared in the sections after the challenges especially made me laugh out loud a few times. With almost zero hostile threat (although there is some) in the game it was very easy to play at a leisurely pace and enjoy.

But more importantly there was Episode Two.

Do Not read beyond this point if you want to know what happens through your own game progression. This next section does contain spoilers and reveal the details for discussion.

-----

So firstly, the G Man. His role gets a lot deeper in this episode than previously. He becomes more than Gordon Freeman’s employer. As it turns out he saved Eli & Alyx Vance from Black Masa when it all went wrong.

In Episode 1 we see the G Man blocked from reaching GF by the mysterious Vortigons. Originally the enemy in the original Half Life now turned allies to the human race. However, with the pending death of AV they must use their power to save her; at this point we have another encounter with the G Man, ordering GF to get her safely to “White Forest” (the code name for the rebel camp). He also gives her the message to delivery to her father to expect consequences.

AV carries a data capsule that contains information on how to destroy to Citadel, the Combine HQ. At the end of Ep1 we see it blow up and at the start of Ep2 we see it forming a “super portal”. The humans lead by Drs Kleiner & Masterson prepare a rocket to destroy it and they do.

The ending is what can be described as the annoying bit.

GF & Av are heading off to a mysterious supposedly lost boat which contains something the Combine want. On the side of a crate we see in a video the boat has the ‘Aperture’ logo from Portal. Can we assume that portal technology for the user might be included next episode? I think not as it would make the game even more easymode than the Improved Gravity Gun makes it, however I think that the ideas / concept behind it will heavily feature. Especially since that one of the main parts running through the entire Half Life series is the concept of portaling from location to location.

What is really going on with the G Man? What are his motives? Do we think Eli's death was his "doing"? What do you think we’ll find on that boat? Will Alyx & Gordon finally get it on?

I feel that there could have been more action and less talking, there was quite a few of those “stand there while people discuss things and send you off with something to do” type scenes. I was also a little disappointed that you can do the entire game without using the rocket launcher at all, it used to be one of my favourite weapons next to the crowbar.

The game could also have been harder, even with the game on difficult mode it still wasn’t that much of a challenge. My main cause of death was caused due to miss judging locations of ladders or other parts of the game environment there to assist me from falling to my death

I did however enjoy it a lot but the opening at the end is such a tease it’s making me wish that Valve’s initial idea of Ep3 by Christmas this year actually happens.

From the way I see it, partly answering the questions I ask above, the G Man is actually on your (Gordon’s) side. All the things he has “employed” you to do have been for the benefit of mankind and never against it, always against the same comman ememy as humanity. He helps and ensures that AV gets to White Forest safely, entrusting you to safe guard her.

I’m glad that they’ve nearly fixed his lip sync with the words he speak compared to previous versions of his model. I was also really glad they fixed the animation of an Antlion exploding when shot at close range with the shotgun.

I am partly bemused as to why Eli and Alyx were saved in the first place; this is something I hope will be revealed during or at the end of Episode 3.

I could see Gordon dying at the end to save the world, if Ep3 is the last one ever it’s the kind of drastic story plot move I could see Valve taking.

Needless to say I enjoyed the game, the plot was thick and the action packed with fun.

My favourite series of games by far

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 16:18   #2
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Long] Half Life

in conclusion

Half Life episode 2 > Star Wars episode 2
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 16:43   #3
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

how much does it cost? it seems rather short to be worth anything - especially if you say that it is very easy.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 17:06   #4
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Cheap ****.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 19:52   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought that Episode 2 was a definite step backwards from Episode 1 and Half Life 2 (over which it provided nothing new of interest, and a large amount of new of active uninterest), had too much generic combat and generic conversation and too little unique examples of either, and the recent releases of Bioshock (for script comparisons) and Portal (for gameplay comparisons) really don't help it. And the plot was thick? What kind of bland, plotless, things have you been playing if that was "thick" plotting? Too much Peggle?

[edit]

Also, it's "Magnusson"

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 12 Oct 2007 at 07:46.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 21:30   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The voice in Portal creeps me out to the point that I want to marry her.
Unread 12 Oct 2007, 11:21   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I've always been into the story line of Half Life right from the start, so for me I found the new twists and turns in the story quite interesting. I agree that the action could have been a little better but overall it was a great gaming experience for me.

I don't game an awful lot, in the last year apart from Half Life the only single player game I've played is FEAR & its expansion.

Can't wait for Episode 3 though.

I'm curious if the Portal voice is a woman, it sounds a bit genderless to me.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2007, 12:35   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Bioshock > HL
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2007, 14:51   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I've always been into the story line of Half Life right from the start, so for me I found the new twists and turns in the story quite interesting.
I've been very interested in the story of Half Life (well, HL2; HL was just generic science fiction and Laidlaw wasn't really thinking of the scale he later would be writing) which is precisely the reason I was disappointed in the story of Episode 2: barely anything happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I'm curious if the Portal voice is a woman, it sounds a bit genderless to me.
The voice actress also does the voice of the Combine computer and the TF2 announcer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Bioshock > HL
The writing's a lot better, but it has gameplay problems above and beyond those in Half Life, albeit very similar ones in many cases. It's also a lot better looking, right now at least.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote