User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Aug 2006, 12:15   #201
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The GD Music Archive

Blueberry Boat is seriously one of the worst album's I've ever heard and I think I'd rather hack my ears off than listen to anything else by them.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2006, 12:56   #202
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Blueberry Boat is seriously one of the worst album's I've ever heard and I think I'd rather hack my ears off than listen to anything else by them.
Philistine
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 01:51   #203
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

How is it that funk has not made it to this list yet???

Let me try again...

Mickey and the Soul Generation
Ebony Rhythm Band
Eddie Bo
The Gators
The Soul Tornadoes
Vern Blair Debate
Poets of Rhythm
Calypso King and the Soul Investigators
Carleen and the Groovers
African Music Machine
Jimmy McGriff...

I will think of more later...in the meantime, get some funk on that list!
Unread 5 Sep 2006, 02:15   #204
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If you want it on the list, post a review or your thoughts on a particular artist/band.

Posting a list of bands you like takes absolutely no effort. As you have taken no effort, you cannot expect Weeks or myself to go to the effort of adding them to the list.
Unread 9 Sep 2006, 16:27   #205
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
"Classical"/Ambient

Ludovico Einaudi - Echoes - The Einaudi Collection

So it's a 'best of' and I'm lining myself to be slated from the word go. But this is a superb album that I find is ideal for a lazy summer morning and afternoon with the best pieces generally being the piano ones such as The Days, The Waves and Limbo. This is excellent for working without distraction or simply relaxing on your own.
Electronica

Hybrid - I Choose Noise

If you've ever heard any other Hybrid stuff then this album will be far from alien with familiar themes and instruments from previous outings. Most of the tracks are more up-beat than have been the norm with the band, with strong and often out-and-out dirty basslines and an almost breakbeat feel to a lot of them. From an orchestral-feeling intro track the sound blends well into Dogstar (which maintains Hybrid's signature orchestral string themes), leading through a mixture of up- and downbeat tracks (the distinctive title track I Choose Noise and the much darker Choke being personal favourites) and ending again with a clear orchestral theme in Just For Today. It's the best Hybrid album to date, drawing on a blend of their previous work for a much more rounded experience than they've been attributed in the past.
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 14:21   #206
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Trance

Ferry Corsten - L.E.F.

Usually I can't stand trance but Ferry Costen really did a good job on this one. Spacy electronic beats with long accords, sometimes accompanied by standard dance vocals. The tunes itself sound like they come straight out of ur comp, kinda like the tunes daft punk uses. If your actively listening to it this album will get repetive quite fast, but when you just have to kill an hour in a train or when your driving home at night after going out this album will certainly do the trick. A nice mix of racetracks and slow trance.

Pop

Nelly Furtado - Woah Nelly

Nelly's debut album. The thing i like the most about this album is that it sounds quite artistic, it's actual music, unlike most crap I listen to. It consist out of generally quite slow and alternative pop music. Her enhanced vocals are used as an instrument and lead most songs. The songs sound quite southern, almost latin, but not as loud.. If you need some colorfull music to relax on, or if your just looking for a refreshing piece of music. Then this is your album.

Dance

Audio bullys - Generation

Some would argue this album is a step back from their earlier album, Ego war, but it's not. It's almost a different genre and shouldn't even be compared to eachother. Ego wars was all about their street life, and this album seems to be the aftermath. It's more grown up and layed back. A bit groovy tunes and electronicly dj'd mixes accompanied with poor but catchy lyrics. Just relax, turn off your brain and let this album grow on you.
(Take note that i listened to the 17 track version of the cd)

Last edited by Alessio; 23 Sep 2006 at 15:06.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 00:44   #207
gazza_dj
Resident Nutter.

gazza_dj can only hope to improve

got a few i think.

Death Metal

In Flames - Reroute To Remain

This is one of the newer in flames albums, and in my opinion, it is the best in flames album. As is the usual in flames style, it has the usual death metal traits of powerful distortion guitar and complex drumming, but at the same time is quite melodic. the verses are pretty heavy, and the choruses are really melodic and damn catchy. you'll be singing it in your head on your way to the shops! also consider Soundtrack to your Escape and Come Clarity by in flames.

Electronic

FabricLive22 - Scratch Perverts

i put this under the general genre electronic, as the CD spans so many electronic genres. it opens up with Dynamite MC/Scratch Perverts - Come Get It, and from there rolls into a few hip hop tunes, including Master Ace Incorporated - Born To Roll, Skinnyman, the Roots, even some Mr.Scruff! the Hip Hop then fades into some more breakbeat style stuff, still keeping a hip hop vibe, with the likes of Guru and The Perceptionists. as the CD progresses on, the BPM gradually increases. just over half way through, the mix has progressed to DJ shadow and Roots, and the likes of Alter Ego. Even some 'alternative' makes it in there, with Ian Brown and Radiohead! finally, towards the end of the CD, we have DnB, starting off with Nightbreed - Pack Of Wolves, and finishing off with Pendulum - Another Planet.
overall, i think this is an awesome CD. even if you arent a fan of the electronic genre, i think you can appreciate the quality of the DJing on this CD (remember it is a live recording!)

i was going to do more, but i really cant be bothered now
Unread 8 Nov 2006, 12:54   #208
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Rock

Madrugada -Industrial Silence

Melancolic rock at it's best, with a very good vocal. Industrial Silence are the groups best album to this date. One of my favorite albums.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 17:16   #209
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

Indie Rock

Manchester band The victor zulus are about to release they're first single, Irate Spiders on ITunes/Amazon etc.

I've been going to victor zulus gigs for ages now and I’ve seen them move from unknown hopefuls to this next big step.

The single's a fast, exciting indie track with wicked bass line that explodes into life on this very melodic track. Gotta be heard through headphones, keep your ears listening for that baseline!!!

Its out on the 5th of Feb, no album yet but if enough people like it!!!

Check out the website for other "unrealised" songs…
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2007, 21:41   #210
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Patrick Wolfe - Wind in the Wires

He makes an interesting blend of musical styles using such blending classical instruments with modern day day electrical contraptions to create something original sounding in modern music which avoids the indie scene and the 5 five major producers of this time (Neptunes, timbaland etc...)
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 03:09   #211
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Patrick Wolfe - Wind in the Wires

He makes an interesting blend of musical styles using such blending classical instruments with modern day day electrical contraptions to create something original sounding in modern music
although there's no e in his name
Quote:
which avoids the indie scene
This is just false
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 04:38   #212
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
This is just false
Indeed it is. The music is pretty good though!

Indie Folk

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

I'm going to recommend this album to all and sundry, mostly because I love it, but also because it is very accessible. Andrew Bird writes lyrically intelligent songs that you cannot help but become addicted to. There is something about the voice, coupled with the arrangement of his music that makes it irresistably compelling. I would compare him favourably with Sufjan Stevens, but with a slightly darker tone, both in the lyrics of his songs and the sound of his voice. Songs to sample: Fiery Cities, Heretics, Dark Matter, Imitosis and Plasticities.
Unread 8 Feb 2007, 04:56   #213
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

IDM

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Született
A concept album about Hungarian pigeons, in the medium of classical strings layered over drill'n'bass. There is nothing I can usefully add to this description except to recommend Hajnal as a starting point.
Unread 19 Apr 2007, 21:12   #214
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

electronica

simian mobile disco - buggedout set

dirty house beats (it's basically a compilation mix - loads of different artists) that will annoy your housemates when played very loudly. one of the two chaps in smb has produced the arctic monkeys latest. interesting listen with those lot in mind.
Unread 19 Apr 2007, 21:13   #215
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
IDM

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Született
A concept album about Hungarian pigeons, in the medium of classical strings layered over drill'n'bass. There is nothing I can usefully add to this description except to recommend Hajnal as a starting point.
saw him last saturday, wasn't too bad at all
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 05:23   #216
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sparks - Lil' Beethoven. Like Steve Reich decided to write a pop album. Fairly minimalist looped vocal phrases over a largely piano backing track, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Hard to describe it in more detailed terms than that because its one of the most unique and original albums I've heard; as well as the obvious influences from minimalist composers, theres shades of Zappa in here too - not musically, because it sounds nothing like him, but in the sense of taking hilariously trite and meaningless lyrics and setting them to 'serious' music in order to create a surreal contrast. And although the lyrics are somewhat silly, the phrasing and vocal timbres involved in their delivery are brilliant and always interesting. One of the best albums Ive experienced for a while, a masterpiece.

Tracks to check out: If the first 2 tracks ("The Rhythm Thief" and "How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall", especially the former) dont appeal to you, then the rest of the album probably wont either. "My Baby's Taking Me Home" also stands out. "Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls" is also great although it doesnt sound like the rest of the album since its more rock-inspired.

Last edited by Nodrog; 2 Jun 2007 at 10:09.
Unread 19 Jun 2007, 22:10   #217
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Jazz

Django Reinhardt - 1937

After watching the Woody Allen film Sweet And Lowdown, about a fictional jazz guitarist who is the best in the world 'except for some gypsy in France' I decided to listen to some of his work and it is phenominal. the guy is just superb, there is no other word to describe him.

I chose this album at random, but the playing is great, especially consdiering he only played with two fingers.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 20 Jun 2007, 02:59   #218
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Jazz

Django Reinhardt - 1937

After watching the Woody Allen film Sweet And Lowdown, about a fictional jazz guitarist who is the best in the world 'except for some gypsy in France' I decided to listen to some of his work and it is phenominal. the guy is just superb, there is no other word to describe him.

I chose this album at random, but the playing is great, especially consdiering he only played with two fingers.
yes.
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 22:19   #219
All Systems Go

this one is a bit of a shot in the dark and I might regret it later, though I seriously doubt it.

Alt Rock

Pixies - Doolittle

My only previous encounter with this band was at the end of Fight Club, with the fabulous song, where is my mind? It's not on this album but it doesn't matter as it's great anyway. Until you listen to this record you cannot possibly understand the effect they had on Nirvana and modern music as a result.
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 22:46   #220
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Nodrog was the second person in two days to mention Steve Reich to me. Can someone recommend some of his stuff. I like this. It sounds a little like Philip Glass but more uplifting and less frightening (which is good).

[edit - apart from music for 18 musicians which is colossal]

Last edited by Hebdomad; 11 Jul 2007 at 23:53.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 00:19   #221
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Nodrog was the second person in two days to mention Steve Reich to me. Can someone recommend some of his stuff. I like this. It sounds a little like Philip Glass but more uplifting and less frightening (which is good).

[edit - apart from music for 18 musicians which is colossal]
Come Out is awesome although more minimalist than his later work (ignore the terrible dancing in that youtube link, also thats only half the full piece). Other than that, the only 'major' Reich work that I like is Different Trains, although you should probably listen to both Drumming and Music for 18 Musicians anyway because a lot of other people seem to love them. If Music For 18 is too long for you then try Music For Mallet Instruments which is similar in style but only ~15 minutes. I do enjoy quite a few of Reich's less famous pieces such as Proverb/Piano Phase/Electric Counterpoint (which is similar to the piece you linked to), but I tend to find a lot of his work to be emotionally sterile compared to that of other minimalists.

Why do you find Philip Glass frightening and not uplifting? His early stuff like Einstein isnt that representative of his career; if you havent already, listen to Glassworks (especially the track Opening which is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, and Facades which always struck me as being like a less beat-driven version of Autechre's Leterel (which I love)). His Etudes for Piano are also ridiculously beautiful (especially #5 onwards).

Last edited by Nodrog; 13 Jul 2007 at 01:53.
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 18:06   #222
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

It's a long time since I've listen to Glass and I've lost the CDs so I can't give a exact answer. But what I love about Music for 18 Musicians is that it's uplifting in a similar manner to Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People. I'll look out for the recommended Reich and Glass. Thanks.
Unread 20 Jul 2007, 08:28   #223
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'll just add my contribution here too.

Progressive/Psychedelic Rock (I guess you can call it alternative)

Kingston Wall - I (II, and Trilogy, all the three albums)

A relatively unknown band that reached a cult reputation in Finland in the 90s. Easy-going rock with influences from Indian music and the psychedelic scheme. Goes more towards psychedelic per album, and the last one gets a little messy. If you're a fan of alternative rock, long guitar riffs, and a hippy rock schene, this is an absolute must. You'll probably find bits on Youtube for checking out.

Trance

Orkidea - A Place Called Happiness

A more ambient mix record from a Finnish Dj. Twin of the Music Speaks A Thousand Languages, a little faster and more progressive, with a melodic focus. Worth checking out if you like slower electronic beats, pay special attention to the Orkidea & Marc Mitchell pieces (Mitchell's mix of Beautiful, and Orkidea's mix of Eternal Love).

Goa/Psychedelic Trance

Astral Projection - Trust in Trance 3

The third album from the less famous (compared to Infected Mushroom) and a little older Israeli psych trance pioneers Astral Projection. Easy-going, smooth pieces. My current repeat mode album that's been going for a week now on the train trips to work. Still hits in, another worth a try if you're in to trance/electronic. The finishing track Still Dreaming is absolutely awesome.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 21:31   #224
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i'd been meaning to post here for a while again, here's some fantastic records that have helped me find love for music again

Alternative
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
adored by pretty much everyone. it's incredibly hard to stop listening to this album. i doubt i need to recommend this since it seems to be a staple in most alternative music fan's collection but i only came across this a couple of months ago

Pop
The New Pornographers - Challengers
carl newman and co provide 12 more songs of bliss and joy. dan bejar provides three further tracks, one of which 'myriad harbour' is probably the best song he's ever written. other standout tracks include 'unguided' which at over 6 minutes long is pretty much an all out epic for this bunch but it's pretty awesome

Pop/Rock
islands - return to the sea
like the unicorns, but a lot better. takes a while to appreciate all its melodies though!
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 18:43   #225
All Systems Go

Funk-Punk
Adequate Seven - Songs of Innocence and of Experience

This band broke up in 2006, but not before releasing two albums, which was actually one too many. Whilst the second album is bland and has a more generic punk theme with less horns (kind of the same direction Less Than Jake have taken i.e. not as good) this one is a classic.

It's seemless blend of genres, with punk energy and angry political lyrics with quality musicianship and funk interludes is something to be experianced.

Last edited by All Systems Go; 5 Sep 2008 at 08:31.
Unread 3 Nov 2007, 15:44   #226
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
dan bejar provides three further tracks, one of which 'myriad harbour' is probably the best song he's ever written.
An Actor's Revenge calls you a liar good sir!
Unread 3 Nov 2007, 17:32   #227
jerome

didn't really like that or any song from your blues to be honest, his voice only really got bearable over the past 2 years or so
Unread 3 Nov 2007, 17:36   #228
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
didn't really like that or any song from your blues to be honest, his voice only really got bearable over the past 2 years or so
even if you dont like his voice its still his best song. So there
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:16   #229
jerome

gave it a re-listen, not as awful as i remember but not worth me listening again i think.

Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

this is a pretty generic band when it's all said and done, they don't break any conventions really in the indie rock world but there's some stream of sincere safety i find in this record that makes it one of my favourites that's been released over the past two years for sure. lovely record, truly lovely.
Unread 7 Dec 2007, 15:01   #230
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

cd2 of radiohead's in rainbows is pretty interesting. the tracks are less polished than cd1's but are more charming for it. well, not less polished but the tracks do not conform to the radiohead formula so rigidly and are therefore more interesting -- different at least.
Unread 11 Dec 2007, 20:23   #231
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

did anybody mention James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning or The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely yet?

both are good. The first is IDM or minimal house or whatever, the second is just american indie folk rock thing yes.

Yes.
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 19:26   #232
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

I still need to get hold of some James Holden. I'm just too lazy, Phang. Also, I learnt about CocoRosie this week. I want some of that. It sounds great.
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 01:34   #233
jerome

cocorosie are a bit gimmicky (annoying) but some of their songs are wonderful (werewolf, and i think track 4 from the noahs ark album.. i'll check later)
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 20:53   #234
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Seconding James Holden - he's pretty ace.

Got The National's latest album Boxer for Christmas. It's splendidly sad and moody and thoughtful, all spilt coffee and rain and lamplit streets. The singer's voice is a fabulously rich, abrasive baritone. Sounds like Richard Hawley singing for Elbow - always melodic, but textured, quite poetic and sometimes surprising - something like that, but distinctly American as well.

You get the drift: I rather like it.
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 21:10   #235
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Quote:
cocorosie are a bit gimmicky (annoying) but some of their songs are wonderful (werewolf, and i think track 4 from the noahs ark album.. i'll check later)
everyone wants to goto japan. i liked that one.
Unread 13 Jan 2008, 13:07   #236
All Systems Go

Garage Rock
Foxboro Hottubs - Stop, Drop And Roll

Genre isn't important really. It's Green Day doing garage rock. Literally.

That is all you need to know.

The six-track EP can be downloaded for free from here.
Unread 21 Jan 2008, 12:43   #237
jerome

Pop

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

i've never really liked this band too much to be honest, i've always just seen them as a bit of cutesy fun and always gone back to the 60s/70s pop bands they pay homage to all the time apart from the one song 'kissing the lipless' which is essentially one of the best pop songs released in this decade. this week though, i decided to explore the rest of the album with a bit more attention and ****, there's so many pitfalls for this record to fall into and there's so many reasons for this not to be as shockingly good as it is. i'd say it's certainly stronger than any new pornographer release (closest good comparison from recent times i can think of), and that's probably saying a hell of a lot. songs to check: kissing the lipless, turn a square, saint simon. they're all seriously immense.
Unread 25 Jan 2008, 11:27   #238
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Seconding James Holden - he's pretty ace.

Got The National's latest album Boxer for Christmas. It's splendidly sad and moody and thoughtful, all spilt coffee and rain and lamplit streets. The singer's voice is a fabulously rich, abrasive baritone. Sounds like Richard Hawley singing for Elbow - always melodic, but textured, quite poetic and sometimes surprising - something like that, but distinctly American as well.

You get the drift: I rather like it.
i've been listening to boxer a lot over this past week and it really is actually quite wonderfully subtle. the voice is indeed superbly used, pieced together by one of the best drummers i've heard in the past couple of years. (it is incredibly hard to make drums as soulful sounding as it is on this record)
Unread 28 Jan 2008, 18:22   #239
jerome

if it makes you feel any better, whilst converge are about three times as better than botch they're about five times as much to anyone else.
Unread 1 Mar 2008, 16:33   #240
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Totally forget about Celine Dion there. It's all coming back to me deserves a spot, and so does Dimmu Borgir - The Serpentine Offering.
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 11:10   #241
All Systems Go

I know I'm going out a limb here by saying that the side project of the song writer for Arctic Monkeys is going to be good, but I'm going to take that risk damn it!

Last Shadow Puppets will release their debut album in a few weeks time and it'll probably be awsome. I've only heard the debut single once (through poor speakers) but you can all hear it here.
Unread 3 Apr 2008, 11:13   #242
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
I know I'm going out a limb here by saying that the side project of the song writer for Arctic Monkeys is going to be good, but I'm going to take that risk damn it!

Last Shadow Puppets will release their debut album in a few weeks time and it'll probably be awsome. I've only heard the debut single once (through poor speakers) but you can all hear it here.
so yeah, that'll be Owen Pallett there.
Unread 9 Aug 2008, 08:47   #243
anne0618
Banned

anne0618 is on a distinguished road

^-^ ^-^ hello everyone
i want to ask everyone a question......................
do you know where can we buy the cheapest world of warcraft gold?
lol.........
i think you do not know
now i will tell you that,ok?
it is wow4s.com
500 Gold=$13.91
1000 Gold=$26.99
5000 Gold=$130.63
so cheap.....i have never seen any cheaper site.i think i will do a long-time business with the wow4s.com,
so great a site!
anne0618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2008, 18:54   #244
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

No one has posted this yet:

Cinematic
E.S. Posthumus - Unearthed

E.S. Posthumus' music is cinematic/epic style music. Lots of their music has been used in movie trailers.
Unread 27 Jan 2009, 02:58   #245
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Metalcore / Melodic Hardcore

Hopesfall - No Wings to Speak Of

Hopesfalls second CD out of 4, in which their last two were awful. This is arguably the most influential CD to the post hardcore / metalcore seen circa 2005, which was the only really good year for the two genres. Really well written, amazing interludes and powerful lyrics.

for fans of Prayer for Cleansing, Poison the Well, (old) Hope Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2009, 10:30   #246
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo View Post
Electronica

Hybrid - I Choose Noise

If you've ever heard any other Hybrid stuff then this album will be far from alien with familiar themes and instruments from previous outings. Most of the tracks are more up-beat than have been the norm with the band, with strong and often out-and-out dirty basslines and an almost breakbeat feel to a lot of them. From an orchestral-feeling intro track the sound blends well into Dogstar (which maintains Hybrid's signature orchestral string themes), leading through a mixture of up- and downbeat tracks (the distinctive title track I Choose Noise and the much darker Choke being personal favourites) and ending again with a clear orchestral theme in Just For Today. It's the best Hybrid album to date, drawing on a blend of their previous work for a much more rounded experience than they've been attributed in the past.
While having listen to both Hybrid and Einaudi for the last few weeks a lot I fear that we have been missing (or I read over it in this thread)

Electronic Music/Ambient
EMOTIONAL TECHNOLOGY

BT has that rare gift of combining a variation of electronical instruments and then combine that with some high pitch, sometimes to heavy breathing vocals, which gives his tracks often a rather dreamy feeling. I always get the feeling when listening to BT that I am listening to a soundtrack and that it always fits to a large variety of moments and activities. All in all a definate 'must have' in your collection if you also like Hybrid, ATB and Ludovico Einaudi
Unread 25 Jun 2009, 22:20   #247
All Systems Go

Punk

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come

About as far away from three chord Ramones-esque punk as it is possible to get. Multiple changes is tempo, volume and musical style, and that's just in one song.

I am posting this even though I have not finished listening to it yet. I am not sure how often I would listen to this album, but I am glad I found it.
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 23:37   #248
bit
neurotweaker

bit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBvgmQ_G7FM
bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 23:42   #249
bit
neurotweaker

bit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of light

oops, wrong url lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZJTRhcFg4
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 23:44   #250
bit
neurotweaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5onR78nv94