User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Mar 2003, 18:34   #1
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of
Calling out the Old-Guard.

I would like to make an appeal to those of you players from the first 4 rounds of planetarion who are here. (I am focusing on those rounds, in large part because they are what I am most familar with.)

I have been, somewhat reluctantly, convinced to write a paper for my political science class on some of the diplomatic and relational elements of planetarion. I would especially like to analyze the question of cooperation among groups, looking at how it arose, what maintained it, and how it sometimes fell appart. Important to that would be the dynamics of the game, the leadership (both structure and character) of alliances, and the internal pressure from alliance memberships, among other things.

For example, how did the fact that they would have to deal with eachother next round affect how alliances treated eachother? when did the need for roids outweigh the risks involved in a major war? how much did personal relationships between alliance leaders help to foster cooperation? did boredom among alliance members force leaders into wars they did not want? did leaders ever feel tied to a certain course of action? what important lessons were learned in r1, and how did they affect later rounds?

these are the kind of questions i am looking at, though there are many others. i would really appreciate the input of those of you who might have something valuable to add. that also extends somewhat to the basic events/chronology of the early rounds, its been a while and things arent quite as clear as id like anymore.

feel free to post any recollections here (though sorting them out of the crap may be difficult), PM them to my board accout, or email me at [email protected]

thank you in advance.

[Fury]Tis

Last edited by Tis; 7 Mar 2003 at 22:30.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 18:37   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Calling out the Old-Guard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tis

I would like to make an appeal to those of you players from the first 4 rounds of planetarion who are here.

what has this to do with the rest of your request?
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 19:23   #3
Tis

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of
Re: Re: Calling out the Old-Guard.

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
what has this to do with the rest of your request?
erm, because those are the people i would like to see respond to it?
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 20:37   #4
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I STARTED IN ROUND 3!

Does that mean im elite also? or that ive been playing this game for far too long

-Necro
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 20:41   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
I've been here since the start but i can't be arsed to reply as I am a lazy ****

Besides that I wonder why people who played the first 4 rounds would be able to help him better then some newer players. Talking about cooperation between alliances and such, I think the latter rounds can give you a lot more info then the first ones.
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 21:20   #6
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
i only been here since r7

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 22:40   #7
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Tis, Im on pa irc if ya want info or insight or whatever. Just give me a holler.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 23:30   #8
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
hey Tis, long no c
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 01:23   #9
Tis

Lo K-W/ KillGhost

K-W, id love to chat with you, unfortunately it will have to wait till i get back from a week long trip im leaving on this evening (timing, heh). I'll get in touch with you when i return.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 03:13   #10
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
I've been here since the start but i can't be arsed to reply as I am a lazy ****

Besides that I wonder why people who played the first 4 rounds would be able to help him better then some newer players. Talking about cooperation between alliances and such, I think the latter rounds can give you a lot more info then the first ones.
Possibly because he'd like to see how the initial relationships progressed? Anything after r1 or r2 has the taint of history. In order to study the development of the politics of something you need to start at the very beginning.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 03:19   #11
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally posted by SpazMonster
Possibly

errrmkay
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 12:00   #12
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Tis
what important lessons were learned in r1, and how did they affect later rounds?
Never to rely on alliance HCs enforcing treaties against their members when it's not in their interest, and never to rely on people not defending when they aren't supposed to defend ;-)

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 19:51   #13
Sev
Commander

Sev is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Tis
I would like to make an appeal to those of you players from the first 4 rounds of planetarion who are here. (I am focusing on those rounds, in large part because they are what I am most familar with.)
Intresting definition of the Old Guard you have there. Unfortunately I did not really embroil myself in any sort of politics before round 5, so the best I can do is wish you good luck - oh, and request that you possibly make your paper publically available? It will be intresting, both from a planetarion point of view and from one about the way humans act in situations.

<Leinad> Sev is a sexy bitch, but plz dont tell him

Round 2 - 4:1:12 - C4E
Round 3 - 3:3:12 - TF/Elysium
Round 4 - 9:25:15 Nos
Round 5 - 17:5:16 - Lux
Round 6 - 35:23:6 - Deus
Round 7 - Quit - Legion
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 23:28   #14
Tis

Re: Re: Calling out the Old-Guard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo
Never to rely on alliance HCs enforcing treaties against their members when it's not in their interest, and never to rely on people not defending when they aren't supposed to defend ;-)
Heh... id prefer to think of it as "never allow your members to become too dependent on relationships outside of the alliance."

Quote:
Originally posted by Sev
Intresting definition of the Old Guard you have there. Unfortunately I did not really embroil myself in any sort of politics before round 5, so the best I can do is wish you good luck - oh, and request that you possibly make your paper publically available? It will be intresting, both from a planetarion point of view and from one about the way humans act in situations.
sure, ill need to clear it with anyone who's recollections i use first though.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 21:36   #15
Tis

The paper is finished. And tho tis crap, i did say i would make it avaliable, so i guess i should. I wish I had another 20 pages to work with so i didnt have to skim over so much, but the prof threatened me with evil consiquences if i went on too long :-/

tis avaliable at www.duke.edu/~jjs4/PApaper.doc

feel free to say nice things to the email account in the original post or to the thread... feel free to keep rude comments to yourself.
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 22:23   #16
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Your just being modest Tis
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:20   #17
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
interesting read, but somehow unsatisfying. There seem to be so many more things on that subject that seem worth examining, especially how all those concepts would work if one did not assume the actors were pure direct egoists but rather interested in the achieving the best possible result for themselves while avoiding too large detriments for the others in order to avoid too large detriments themselves when being the sucker (i.e. indirect egoists)

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:54   #18
Tis

As i said, i wanted to go into more detail and such, but it wasnt possible given the restrictions placed on the length of the paper.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:25   #19
Diamonds

Diamonds is an unknown quantity at this point
If you still need help I am sometimes on pa net (not too often tbh :p ) I would gladly help you out :o)

Played from end of round 1 to middle of round 7 if I remember right. During that time i was in 3 alliances The Empire, Legion and Wolfpack.

Anyway, give me a holler on IRC (Diamonds or more often Diamonds|away :p ) on pa net ;o)
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 18:27   #20
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Diamonds
If you still need help I am sometimes on pa net (not too often tbh ) I would gladly help you out )

Played from end of round 1 to middle of round 7 if I remember right. During that time i was in 3 alliances The Empire, Legion and Wolfpack.

Anyway, give me a holler on IRC (Diamonds or more often Diamonds|away ) on pa net ;o)

Also known as Dimes!
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 19:23   #21
BOB_LOST
Banned

BOB_LOST is an unknown quantity at this point
nice read,but looks awfull in word

:e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick:
BOB_LOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2003, 23:13   #22
Tis

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamonds
If you still need help I am sometimes on pa net (not too often tbh ) I would gladly help you out )

Anyway, give me a holler on IRC (Diamonds or more often Diamonds|away ) on pa net ;o)
Thanks for the offer, but this paper was the last of my university career, so i probably wont be doing much more with it.

I ended up getting very good marks on it, which is remarkable considering how much better it could have been.
Unread 3 May 2003, 08:08   #23
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
I STARTED IN ROUND 3!

Does that mean im elite also? or that ive been playing this game for far too long

-Necro
probably like me & so many others, the latter mate
Unread 13 May 2003, 20:08   #24
shagggy

shagggy is on a distinguished road
This game still running? ehhe !!

Hello to any of the oldschool trawling this thread :0)

shags
r1 - 5:11:6 Marz - Gal Ranked #?
r2 - 29:17:18 bo11ocks - Gal Ranked #37
r3 - 15:7:13 underpantz - Gal Ranked #45
r4 - 178:11:11 Mr Luva Luva - Gal Ranked #41
r5 - 10:13:8 Chthon - Gal Ranked #4
r6 - 11:19:5 Pan of Scouse - Gal Ranked #65
r7 - 27:23:5 Shaun of Wigan - Gal Ranked #54

My Planetarion History
shagggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2003, 02:24   #25
ribs
Artifact

ribs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by shagggy
This game still running? ehhe !!

Hello to any of the oldschool trawling this thread :0)

shags
trippy paper

hi you twat :/