User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 01:28   #1
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road
Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

in earlier rounds the normally active pa player used to attack at about 0:55-2:55 cest those were standard times of course there were always some freaks going for later attack times and those normally got rewarded for this with a better chance for roids as alliance defense was sometimes alrdy worn out and also less ppl online... ppl had to be online until launch time or get up just before it, with the ppl launching earlier most of the time staying up and the others splitting in the real freaks that simply had a reversed sleep rythm and those that just got up for launching.

with this system alliances were able to react on attacks and sudden needs swiftly they could simply stop an attack and use the ships for defense if needed or the could counter with those ships. Also the biggest part of the fighting took place at a time where defense was for the hardcore players still possible cos then most ppl still stayed up and checked if they got a counter after their attack or something. there were of course morning raids too and those were difficult to defend but at least ppl had to get into irc to take their targets so if def was needed they could generally give it.

with this new system tho i fear the round will end in an attack only round... defending is only possible for 1 tick opening the way for massive waves at single planets. every n00b battlegroup can launch at 6:00 in the morning without being awake and the worst is that even players that earlier used to be active teamplayers are now getting more and more autolaunchers...the community is dying in my eyes and with it the whole possibility of defense cos noone bothers to hang around in irc in the night

Deciding an alliance war only by how many gals one ally can attack per night seems a lil a lousy way of fighting a war to me and tho i ofc put it worse than it is because there are still many ppl that dont even think bout using autolaunch i think its the worst function that has been implemented into pax and i think if it should be in the next round too, if there is a next round, i wont play anymore.
Lei~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 01:37   #2
Mav
Band of Brothers

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point
My personal view is that people who autolaunch should have capping restrictions or have less effective ships, so that more people decide to send their ships without using the autolaunch and thus a more active pa.

NoS Officer, OMG / Adelante Officer, Eclipse Officer, FAnG HC, Mistu, [1up].
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 01:49   #3
Lei~
~Gon

i think it should be totally limited to defense only where i agree that it has its uses with the 1 tick defense only
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 01:53   #4
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Lei~
i think it should be totally limited to defense only where i agree that it has its uses with the 1 tick defense only
If your alliance isn't active enough to have people online when def is needed, then you already are limited. I fail to see why ingame limiations should be needed to stop your peers being ****.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 01:54   #5
Parthos
lippy bint

Parthos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
in earlier rounds the normally active pa player used to attack at about 0:55-2:55 cest those were standard times of course there were always some freaks going for later attack times and those normally got rewarded for this with a better chance for roids as alliance defense was sometimes alrdy worn out and also less ppl online... ppl had to be online until launch time or get up just before it, with the ppl launching earlier most of the time staying up and the others splitting in the real freaks that simply had a reversed sleep rythm and those that just got up for launching.

with this system alliances were able to react on attacks and sudden needs swiftly they could simply stop an attack and use the ships for defense if needed or the could counter with those ships. Also the biggest part of the fighting took place at a time where defense was for the hardcore players still possible cos then most ppl still stayed up and checked if they got a counter after their attack or something. there were of course morning raids too and those were difficult to defend but at least ppl had to get into irc to take their targets so if def was needed they could generally give it.

with this new system tho i fear the round will end in an attack only round... defending is only possible for 1 tick opening the way for massive waves at single planets. every n00b battlegroup can launch at 6:00 in the morning without being awake and the worst is that even players that earlier used to be active teamplayers are now getting more and more autolaunchers...the community is dying in my eyes and with it the whole possibility of defense cos noone bothers to hang around in irc in the night

Deciding an alliance war only by how many gals one ally can attack per night seems a lil a lousy way of fighting a war to me and tho i ofc put it worse than it is because there are still many ppl that dont even think bout using autolaunch i think its the worst function that has been implemented into pax and i think if it should be in the next round too, if there is a next round, i wont play anymore.
You aren't James Joyce; stream-of-thought narratives springing from your mind are neither enlightening nor comprehensible.

Sentences.

Punctuation.

Spelling.

Go learn these, and repost.
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Parthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 02:53   #6
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point
Those alliances/battlegroups that compete in the 'interesting' wars tend not to give out coordintes before the launchtime anyway.

The point of autolaunch was to let the players in lesser alliances coordinate attacks better (getting 10 ppl in a noob alliance online all at the same time is very tricky) and give them a chance at performing the coveted dawn raid. I don't think anything the game implements will make these people wake up at odd times and be active defensive teamplayers (they just don't care that much) but autolaunch certainly helps them teamplay as far as attack goes.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 03:18   #7
Lei~
~Gon

Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by Parthos
You aren't James Joyce; stream-of-thought narratives springing from your mind are neither enlightening nor comprehensible.

Sentences.

Punctuation.

Spelling.

its late in the night, i write a very long post about something that simply annoys me, if you dint bother to read it(maybe cos it was incomprehensible to you) fine...
but that reply is just sheer arrogant, but well at least you knew a famous name to back your insults with

to xthothez

i simply think it ruins the community and defense in total got a lot worse for all alliances not only mine (btw hows your planet doing)
which can simply be seen in the lots of attacks that get through...
and i think more of the l33t players and alliances use it than want to admit cos its simply so goddamn easy to set autolaunch and go to bed
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 04:19   #8
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Defense does seem a bit harder to find at times, but that might also be attributed to slimmed-down member counts. But I don't see how it affects alliance wars, since attacking is the key part anyways. If more attacks get through, the game is more exciting.

Although I might support some handicap (my personal idea is to send a warning to the planet halfway through the time period, ie 2 ticks after launch setting if it's set for 4), I do think this was a good, even neccesary, addition to the game.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 04:32   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:

to xthothez

It always makes me grin (not literally, that'd take too much effort. Subconsciously grin I mean) when people can't work out how to spell his name

It's XtoTheZ
Ex To The Zee

It's not hard. Anyway. Sorry to get at you. I don't even know him really. It'd annoyme if people called me TomTak though, or something.

Hmmm. Tired and grumpy at 4:30am > *
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 07:55   #10
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Autolaunch is great, it means people who have a life can play planetarion too.

If alliances don't like members who don't wake up in the middle of the night then kick them - but fact is it's same for your opponent as well so it balances out on an alliance level.

How about creating an advantage for people who don't autolaunch. Call that "score from defending" and they can sit up all night and wait for a suitable defence call and get more score than someone who doesn't - isn't that a fair advantage?

I for one would like to think that there was a skill aspect to planetarion and being awake at 4am isn't a skill in my eyes.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 08:13   #11
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
to xthothez

i simply think it ruins the community and defense in total got a lot worse for all alliances not only mine.
Again, I state that if you don't have members online at those times, you don't really deserve def. Being in an alliance is a team effort, and what sort of team member expects to be covered at
awkward times but isn't prepared to be online themselves? Why do you require an in-game limitation adding when there's a perfectly adequate one there - the activity of your alliances' members.

Quote:
(btw hows your planet doing).
Fine thanks. I suicided my ships on fang again a couple of days ago. Still have too many left tho. You guys need more anti-CR.

Quote:
which can simply be seen in the lots of attacks that get through...
and i think more of the l33t players and alliances use it than want to admit cos its simply so goddamn easy to set autolaunch and go to bed
Define "elite* player". In my definition those would be the ones who realise how essential def is at that time, and put effort into being there for the alliance.

Call it presumptious of me, but can I sum up your arguement with a single statement?
"I'm sick of seeing defence notices in my alliance priv chan, so I want the creators to hard-code something into the game that stops my alliance peers being inactive and ****"

Personally I think it fits perfectly with what Ronnie and behem0th were frantically /notice'ing at the time you posted this thread. Although it could just be a coincidence I suppose.

*I refuse to spell a word with a '3' in it, that just looks twattish.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 09:47   #12
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Sentences.

Punctuation.

Spelling.

Go be a good bitch.

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 10:00   #13
SystemShock

SystemShock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
Go be a good bitch.
If she starts to be a good bitch, you'll piss in your pants. So let her be. Kapish.

<Kjeldoran> and I'm a prick
^^ Always thought it was true. :/

Outcast,
Eclipse.
SystemShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 10:03   #14
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by SystemShock
If she starts to be a good bitch, you'll piss in your pants. So let her be. Kapish.
When did we leave you out of the cage, get back in at once !
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 10:04   #15
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nor are Joyce's.

Xeno
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 10:08   #16
SystemShock

SystemShock is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by KillGhost
When did we leave you out of the cage, get back in at once !
Focht was bending over ..... TomKat had a banana ..... and the keys were in my hands.

I'll get back in now.

<Kjeldoran> and I'm a prick
^^ Always thought it was true. :/

Outcast,
Eclipse.
SystemShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 10:13   #17
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by SystemShock
Focht was bending over ..... TomKat had a banana ..... and the keys were in my hands.

I'll get back in now.
I will have a firm talk with TomKat then in the meanwhile not to steal my bananas again. Those are solely for mine and focht's pleasure.
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 12:04   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
As a leader of a smaller alliance I have to say this feature is great.

Us small alliances would sit here watching the big guys send attack after attack on galaxies where they would cover all the planets and have a successful attack. We could only ever dream of such attacks and without being able to do so our growth was always going to be limited. When you have a limited memberbase if you wish to cover a galaxy you have to find a launch time when you have the most members online, however this isnt ideal because such times are when your targets have the most help online also. So while you may spread defence due to having all the planets covered the amount of defence is much greater. Attacking later however may mean less defence but without being able to cover all planets the defence is concentarted on a few planets. Neither of these yield particularly good results. Now however we just require people to be around to launch inside an 11 tick window and we now have the chance to get the same good results on attacks of the top alliances.

Now I can see why the big alliances dont like this feature but please just look at the bigger picture before complaining. The stronger the smaller alliances are the tougher and more intresting a round becomes which can only be a good thing on the gameplay front
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 12:17   #19
Morca
on the road again

Morca is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
If your alliance isn't active enough to have people online when def is needed, then you already are limited. I fail to see why ingame limiations should be needed to stop your peers being ****.
hi lei! looong time!!

anyway.. i agree with xtothez. every alliance has to work a way out how to manage late night def. no ingame limitations needed imo.

r3: [nv] r4: [nv] r5: [nv/WPO] r6: [WP] r7: [WP] r8: [Adelante|Insomnia] r9: [VsN] r9.5: [VsN] r10: [VsN]
Morca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 13:27   #20
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
I will have a firm talk with TomKat then in the meanwhile not to steal my bananas again. Those are solely for mine and focht's pleasure.
uuggghhh

censor that man

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 13:48   #21
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
*looks at the banana tree in the corner of the Eclipse HC channel in a new light*

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:00   #22
ronnie
Kralizec

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by RealJames
*looks at the banana tree in the corner of the Eclipse HC channel in a new light*
omg

CENSOR THE ENTIRE ECLIPSE HC FFS

*wonders off*

weirdo's....

<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 20:09   #23
mikay

Anyway total irrelevant post. The "top" guys don't defend anyway so why should they expect the plebs to.

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 21:07   #24
ronnie
Kralizec

Quote:
Originally posted by mikay
Anyway total irrelevant post. The "top" guys don't defend anyway so why should they expect the plebs to.
i dis-agree, from my experience in FAnG since i got back, every1 defends when its needed.

if alliances hav 'top players who dont defend' im sure they wudnt be part of that alliance for long (or at least shudnt be)

*this is not on behalf of FAnG but is simply from my personal experience*

<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 00:25   #25
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnie
i dis-agree, from my experience in FAnG since i got back, every1 defends when its needed.

How do you know who is defending and who isn't?
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 01:02   #26
ronnie
Kralizec

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
How do you know who is defending and who isn't?
cos i'm an officer

<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 04:16   #27
Iceaxe
Blood

Iceaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
It's not hard. Anyway. Sorry to get at you. I don't even know him really. It'd annoyme if people called me TomTak though, or something.

Hmmm. Tired and grumpy at 4:30am > *

What about TakMot?
Iceaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 05:58   #28
mikay

Quote:

if alliances hav 'top players who dont defend' im sure they wudnt be part of that alliance for long (or at least shudnt be)

*this is not on behalf of FAnG but is simply from my personal experience*
Fang actually have a good attitude, or probably they just don't seem to have the egos of some alliances.

Anyway the point was in general there are no shortage of people who wouldn't roid with 3 fleets a night even if they couldn't even mine half their roids. There is really no shortage of alliances who will accept these "top" players for the prestige.

Unread 30 Sep 2003, 10:38   #29
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
As a leader of a smaller alliance I have to say this feature is great.

Us small alliances would sit here watching the big guys send attack after attack on galaxies where they would cover all the planets and have a successful attack. We could only ever dream of such attacks and without being able to do so our growth was always going to be limited. When you have a limited memberbase if you wish to cover a galaxy you have to find a launch time when you have the most members online, however this isnt ideal because such times are when your targets have the most help online also. So while you may spread defence due to having all the planets covered the amount of defence is much greater. Attacking later however may mean less defence but without being able to cover all planets the defence is concentarted on a few planets. Neither of these yield particularly good results. Now however we just require people to be around to launch inside an 11 tick window and we now have the chance to get the same good results on attacks of the top alliances.

Now I can see why the big alliances dont like this feature but please just look at the bigger picture before complaining. The stronger the smaller alliances are the tougher and more intresting a round becomes which can only be a good thing on the gameplay front
Clealry smaller alliances have more advantage of this feature. We can now cover gals more easily than we used to which is good. If you have 50-80 members of which about 80% is active, and the average attackrate for the active player is about 5 times a week you will have only 30 to 45 people that are willing and able to attack but they will be on line at different times. Some cannot make claim times, some cannot maek launchtimes and others cannot make landing times. This used to make it difficult to organize attacks and cover every target.

Generally we choose a claim/launch/landing time pattern that fitted as many members as possible. This made things more difficult for members who were unable to attack in that schedule. Now it is fairly easy to cover an attack and now most members can participate if they want to allthough we do sacrifice a bit of secrecy on our targets with the preset launches. That isn't much of a problem though since we do not specifically target any other alliance and we do not compete with any large alliance.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 11:44   #30
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
there is no point in attacking other alliances on a large scale. this is not because of the preset-launch, this is because the goal of the game has changed; it's now "killing stuff" instead of "growth by roiding people".
the game lost it's simplicity, which brought all the tactics 'outside' planetarion, into politics.
imho AD is even more useless than RP now.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 12:44   #31
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
RP is that way *points*. This is AD.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 14:29   #32
Tomkat

Quote:
cos i'm an officer

Ah, I didn't know that. Hehe. I withdraw my comment then :-)
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 15:04   #33
ronnie
Kralizec

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know that. Hehe. I withdraw my comment then :-)
:P

np m8, see you in SS !!!!!!!!!

(if it ever starts fs, Morglum is getting like Spinner )

<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 21:26   #34
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autolaunch the death of interesting alliance wars?

Quote:
Originally posted by Banned
RP is that way *points*. This is AD.
Well, the tree smells of s**t, is that good enough to keep it on AD?

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 21:36   #35
TehVader
NewDawn pe0n

TehVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How did you manage to steal the banana tree from our HC channel?