User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Feb 2003, 02:28   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Xbox go down the hole?

Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 seems to be the only big-seller besides Halo. Panzeer Dragoon Orta flunked the top 30, and Splinter Cell (once an Xbox Exclusive) is now being ported to the Game Cube. What happened, I know they are being outsold by 400% in the Japanese Market (compared to the Game Cube), but even Nintendo's Puzzle Pack is doing better the Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I am glad I sold mine now I guess.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 02:42   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
its microsoft?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 03:52   #3
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
If its going down a hole, it would have to be like a black hole or something.

cos its real real big, geddit?
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 04:06   #4
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
The Xbox sucks.

It was futile for them to even try.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 04:07   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
EA Sports NHL 2003 \o/ \o/ \o/
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 04:20   #6
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
x-box isn't in danger of going under...they're not going to dominate the market either, but they're holding their own in US markets at least.
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 05:26   #7
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
my bf uses his xbox to watch DVD's
and to play games..
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 07:01   #8
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Splinter Cell and Mech Assault rock quite a bit.
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 07:08   #9
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
You forgot about Simpsons Road Rage (I still haven't unlocked the ****ing mystery vehicle yet and dont you dare tell me what it is)
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 09:43   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole
You forgot about Simpsons Road Rage (I still haven't unlocked the ****ing mystery vehicle yet and dont you dare tell me what it is)
Because that's not available on the PS2 or GameCube!

ps.

With the capture of Blizzard, Valve and Rare (who between them have made quite a few of the best games of the last 5 or 6 years) I might actually consider getting one. I only really bought Nintendo consoles for the Rare games anyway.

pps.

Try playing the game on christmas day or the like, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 10:07   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I don't know about America but in Europe the Xbox has overtaken the Gamecube. It is doing terribly in Japan but I don't think the people at Microsoft ever thought they would do better.

I don't think the Xbox will ever overtake the PS2 but there will definitely be an Xbox 2 released. MS has too much money for there not to be
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 18:01   #12
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Blizzard is jumping ship. StarCraft Ghost was suppose to be an Xbox Exclusive, but they annouced it for all 3 consoles, probably, because Xbox sales are down.

The Game Cube seems to be doing well. Half a million pre-orders for Zelda and its not even out in the US.
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 18:06   #13
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Because that's not available on the PS2 or GameCube!

Yes, it is. For GC at least.
Quote:

With the capture of Blizzard, Valve and Rare (who between them have made quite a few of the best games of the last 5 or 6 years) I might actually consider getting one. I only really bought Nintendo consoles for the Rare games anyway.
Valve wasn't captured. Blizzard and rare yes, but not Valve
Quote:

Try playing the game on christmas day or the like, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
what the hell are you blathering about now?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 18:43   #14
Makain
Macintosh Defender

How was Blizzard captured? They aren't producing a single exclusive for the Xbox.

GC software sales exceed that of the Xbox in all 3 markets, especially in Japan: Japan Console/Software Sales
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 19:34   #15
Idi

I will buy an X-Box when it is £40 with 2 controllers, a game, and will play dvds without buying another add on.
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 20:14   #16
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Halo
Fifa International 2003
Splinter Cell

Three of the best games I have for my Xbox.

I have yet to get the new Mortal Kombat game, but I have been reliably informed it is rather good.

Plus Soul Calibre 2 is coming out in the autumn, ace!
Unread 19 Feb 2003, 20:40   #17
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
me likes my little cute purple GC
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:42   #18
Makain
Macintosh Defender

I got a black GC. Mainly for Metroid Prime, SSBM, and Zelda. Although Square's annoucement of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the cube had an impact. 4 player-FF has never been officially released.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:45   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Valve wasn't captured. Blizzard and rare yes, but not Valve

what the hell are you blathering about now?
I thought Valve were published by Vivendi.

MY MISTAKE!!!!!!!

and

The ? car thing on S's RR.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:31   #20
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Halo2, Perfect dark, Fable

im SURE those three games are gonnna KICK ass, and are enough reason to buy a xbox.

Im quite happy with my xbox, amped, halo and jet set is quite enjoyable.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:34   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
Perfect dark
It won't actually be called PD ofc, as Nintendo own the rights.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:37   #22
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
It's a shame that fanboy (Nashmeister?) was banned.

He'd probably explode if he saw this thread.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:49   #23
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
project number 3 for the gc looks rocking
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:12   #24
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Xbox has always just been "A Microsoft Gaming Console". Nothing could raise anything from that title.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:14   #25
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
fux M$
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:34   #26
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
the thing about the x-box is that it's got such a promising future

fable and halo 2 are set to be 2 of the greatest games ever, and now with rare, microsoft are going to have a lot of the good games. their online programme is much clearer than ps2.

x-box will never overtake ps2, but it's not going anywhere, and x-box 2 will give ps3 a run for it's money

gc is too sidelined, it's got it's niche, but it's not selling outside it
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:34   #27
Erkenbrand
Moody

Erkenbrand is an unknown quantity at this point
A reason for the Xbox being outsold could be the fact that its the size of a well fed child.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:41   #28
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

why does the size concern people, do you juggle smaller consoles, and this one is unbalanced? it just sits there on the vcr or on the tv, why does the size matter. if it really really does, the x-box 1.5, which is meant to be smaller, it rumoured to be coming out, and will be about the same price
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:43   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

People quite often move consoles about (I'll bring the GameCube over, we'll have a few games). They don't often move TV's or video's.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:45   #30
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

that's a good point, but if i'm going somewhere, i just put it in the car or in my suitcase (i've taken meh box 200 miles to my mates house). also, the other qualities outweigh (geddit?) this
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 10:37   #31
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough
The Legend of XBollox

The XBox came, it saw, it conquered a small yet completely useless bit of territory, claimed it to be vitally tactically important to the cause, pronounced a public holliday at the capture, all using its finest soldiers Halo, GTA3 and Splinter Cell. Then, as the forces of PS2 created a modified version of GTA, the "Vice City" bomb, XBox was weakened, and then came the assault of Gamecubes forces - Starfox, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Smash Brothers and Mario, and XBox got sllaughtered.

Here endeth the Legend of XBollox
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 11:32   #32
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

except x-box sales in uk and use are higher than gc, and the future, with broadband, halo 2, fable etc, is looking strong
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:26   #33
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
halo
dead or alive III
quantum red shift

soon to be

halo2
halo
quantum red shift (this game is insanely fast on master level especially when you hit boost)
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:27   #34
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hinch
halo
dead or alive III
quantum red shift

soon to be

halo2
halo
quantum red shift (this game is insanely fast on master level especially when you hit boost)
the thought of multiplayer halo 2 over broadband is good, well not as good as other stuff, still good

you get the idea
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:38   #35
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road
PC - the best gaming machine ever.

ps. Get me Vice City on PC.

pps. Someone got Day of the Tentacle?
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
HE IS THE BEST FRIEND ANYBODY COULD WISH FOR!
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:53   #36
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Golin

pps. Someone got Day of the Tentacle?

somewhere cant get it to run on 2k or xp though works perfect in wine though 8o)
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:57   #37
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hinch
somewhere cant get it to run on 2k or xp though works perfect in wine though 8o)
should be plenty of progs out there you can run it trough
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
HE IS THE BEST FRIEND ANYBODY COULD WISH FOR!
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 14:15   #38
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
HL2 better not be an X-Box only game, half the game players in the world would probably declare war on Microsoft.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 14:45   #39
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Ghost Recon on XBoxLive rocks.
It's like CS, but good !
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 14:46   #40
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Stay away from your ex's box. Trust me, it'll all end in tears.

ITVffs!

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 15:19   #41
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
I have a gamecube and xbox. I am a nintendofan so i needed to buy the NGC just to have it. Of course i have and will buy most of the original Nintendo Software, and I can't wait for the new Zelda. On the other hand i bought my xbox for dvd and divx playback. I installed a modchip in the xbox to be able to put the xbox in a network with my pc and transfer divx and the like to my xbox and watch it on the tv. That's primarely why i bought my xbox. The modchip itself also lets me play burned games, or let me download games on the hd of the xbox, so free games

After playing a good batch of xbox games, i have to say that they have some great games coming, and will get more great games. I am waiting with great anticipation to see what Rare can establish on the xbox.

But ofc NGC > XboX
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:08   #42
Makain
Macintosh Defender

GC > Xbox

The fact is you buy a system for its games not its specs. The Xbox is losing exclusives faster then Bush is losing credibility. Splinter Cell which was suppose to be an Xbox exclusive is being ported to the Game Cube, Halo and Mech Assault are coming out for the PC with a bigger multiplayer base then they ever had on Xbox Live. And Unreal II is coming out to destroy Unreal Championship on the Xbox (as if 2k3 already didn't do that). Amped and Gotham Racing were pathetic and are outclassed by Activision's pro boarder and even 1080. I had more fun on California Rush for the 64 then I ever did with Gotham.

The Game Cube has awesome 1st party support meaning that the exclusives it makes will stay with the console. The Xbox relies on third party support which means exclusives that don't sell well get ported.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:22   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: GC > Xbox

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
The Game Cube has awesome 1st party support meaning that the exclusives it makes will stay with the console. The Xbox relies on third party support which means exclusives that don't sell well get ported.
Pity the best 1st party support was bought by Microsoft.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:37   #44
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
Re: Re: GC > Xbox

Quote:
Pity the best 1st party support was bought by Microsoft.
You mean the second party. Rare was a second party developer. Nintendo itself is first party. And rare didn't do many stuff for Nintendo in the end. I am glad Nintendo got rid of Rare, they got a ****load of money for it, which they are putting in new small developmenthouses with original ideas.
[Spore] HC
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:38   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Re: GC > Xbox

Quote:
Originally posted by KillGhost
Rare made the best games on the N64, with the exception of Super Smash Brothers.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:41   #46
KillGhost
1Up

Re: Re: Re: Re: GC > Xbox

Quote:
Rare made the best games on the N64, with the exception of Super Smash Brothers.
Yep, which is a LONG TIME AGO It will win some people for microsoft yes, just due to the name. They will probably make good games as well, just not as many as they did on the Nintendo64 or other Nintendo systems. And again Nintendo can invest in many more promising development houses with the cash they earned with Rare.
[Spore] HC
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:43   #47
KillGhost
1Up

That's what they did with the developmenthouse which made Metroid Prime for example. Invest money in them, and they make a great game, which will bring lots of cash in
[Spore] HC
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:45   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well, I suspect that microsoft won't have that many money problems.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:48   #49
KillGhost
1Up

Quote:
Well, I suspect that microsoft won't have that many money problems.
Nintendo neither. But rareware was just costing to much money with to few results. Quite simple. Nintendo is very successfull in earning and getting money. Their games are allways topselling products, with which they make good money. And don't forget the gameboy line and all their games. Nintendo never had a money problem either.
[Spore] HC
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 01:14   #50
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Exclusive 2nd party support like Rare is well rare. I am still trying to figure out if Bungie and Rare are 2nd party or 1st party since its owned by Microsoft.

Microsoft's entertainment division is having a severe budget crisis. Partly because they are selling the Xbox at a loss of $108 a console. Software, which usually compensates this (and more ), has been a weak point with Microsoft, especially in Japan where they have only one top 30 game which is of course Dead or Alive 3. Its a shame the Xbox was made with such a poor controller, and such pathetic software in the beginning (Halo being the only big hit compared to Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rogue Leader, and to a smaller extent Luigi's Mansion.).

When will Microsoft learn its all about the games? The Console can instantly hook up to every other one in the world for all I care, and if Halo and Mech Assault are the only multiplayer hits I don't really care.