User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:44   #1
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
£10,000 per month or £1,000,000 once?

What would you choose?

Also, damn you whoever deleted those threads, I was having a nice little discussion with SI.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:45   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: £10,000 per month or £1,000,000 once?

Ban user delete thre... ohwait what?

And £10,000 a month, dumbass.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:46   #3
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Is the £10,000 per month for the rest of your life or until you get up to £1m? And do you have to do some "work" for it like the other thread said or not?

If no work was involved then £10k per month for me, either for rest of life or until i get up to £1m
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:47   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For the rest of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo

Personally, I'm not so sure. You couldn't buy a house for a good while off £10,000 pm, and, once you have that, the bills you have to pay are much reduced. The £10,000 will also devalue significantly over time, although you're immune to some things, like fraud.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:48   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo

But it involves "work". We wouldn't want that no? And there's inflation.
On the other hand, if I got a million at once I'd prolly waste it on useless stuff.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:48   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
On the other hand, if I got a million at once I'd prolly waste it on useless stuff.
Oh, but the memories will be priceless!
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:52   #7
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

I'd probably take the 1 million and then just use the interest as an income to live off each year
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:55   #8
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I would go for the £1 million. I would then use that to buy a house, invest some in stocks and leave most in the bank to live off the interest.

If the £10k was adjusted for inflation as well though I would be more likely to go for that.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:55   #9
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
I'd probably take the 1 million and then just use the interest as an income to live off each year

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:55   #10
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

it would be better to get £1mil in a lump sum. It takes 8years and 4months to generate £1mil from £10k a month, and in that time it wouldn't be worth it at all.

If you get £1mil you can invest it in lucrative ways and make alot more money. Some clever buisness man said its easier to make a second million that it is to make the first dollar. Plus the interest you can make on £1mil would be enough to survive.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 17:55   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You'd only get more than the £10,000 if it had 12% APR or over, though.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:04   #12
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the 10k a month would mean a salary of £!20k.
Even with one of the best interest rates you wouldn't get that on £1m.
Either would be nice though - I could live off them both for the rest of my life.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:07   #13
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There is no right answer, as it will depend on the rate of return on investment.

If the base rate is low, then the monthly looks better, if it's high, the lump sum pays off.

This makes interesting reading

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:16   #14
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

If, somehow you did end up in a position to accept one of these, would you continue to work or just stay at home instead?

I think I would continue to work, maybe with a change of career depending on how much I enjoyed my job. It would just get boring after a while otherwise.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:20   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
If, somehow you did end up in a position to accept one of these, would you continue to work or just stay at home instead?

I think I would continue to work, maybe with a change of career depending on how much I enjoyed my job. It would just get boring after a while otherwise.
After I finished school I sat at home for three months. Never* again. It was boring as hell. I didn't feel like doing anything then.

* wouldn't mind having thee months off right now
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:25   #16
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I'd probably do volunteer work. Maybe loads of travelling.
I certainly wouldn't keep working in a job I didn't give a shit about.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 18:35   #17
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You'd only get more than the £10,000 if it had 12% APR or over, though.

But who really needs £10,000 a month to survive? With the current low interest rates you'd probably get around £50,000 per year, which is a very good income, plus the rates are more likely to rise than fall, so more money there in the long run. Any money you dont spend will continue to give you even more interest.

Plus you always have the security of knowing you have 1 million in the bank to use if you really need to.

If you take £10,000 per month and die early, you would not have recieved the full benefit of what you could have had.

Just some of the reasons why I would go for the 1 million.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:19   #18
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The £million.

I have (what i believe to be very good) business plans.

Plans which im sure would net me millions a year (im serious ... but then i dont know business so maybe not).

Those plans require a large amount of capital (more as lawyers fees so the big companies dont **** me by stealing my idea).

My life in the future is basically trying to figure out how to make a mil to start my company anyways so *shrug*
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:22   #19
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I would go for the £1 million. I would then use that to buy a house, invest some in stocks and leave most in the bank to live off the interest.
This wouldnt work, if you were withdrawing the interest every year then the amount you put in would deflate. In any case, assuming you put 500000 in the bank, you'd only be getting aroud 25K interest before tax, which isnt really a particularly large sum of money to live off.

The 10K by the way.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:25   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
But who really needs £10,000 a month to survive? With the current low interest rates you'd probably get around £50,000 per year, which is a very good income, plus the rates are more likely to rise than fall, so more money there in the long run. Any money you dont spend will continue to give you even more interest.
50K a year before tax isnt that much, especially when you know that you have 1 million waiting for you. Temptation would eventually get the better of you, and you'd end up withdrawing it and spending it on something stupid.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:28   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
50K a year before tax isnt that much, especially when you know that you have 1 million waiting for you. Temptation would eventually get the better of you, and you'd end up withdrawing it and spending it on something stupid.
[TehLollyCopter] Like 25,000 Tarantulas [/TehLollyCopter]
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:30   #22
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"It's funny cause Nod was stupid."
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:34   #23
Al Gore
Inventor of the Internet

Al Gore is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the 10k, just because it's a lot more money over your lifetime than just a million, even accounting for inflation. Also, there are plenty of once rich people (eg. lottery winners, people with large inheritances) out there who are now pretty peniless; I can't see that happening with a guaranteed annual income of £120000.
Al Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:39   #24
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
This wouldnt work, if you were withdrawing the interest every year then the amount you put in would deflate. In any case, assuming you put 500000 in the bank, you'd only be getting aroud 25K interest before tax, which isnt really a particularly large sum of money to live off.

The 10K by the way.
I agree that 25k a year wouldn't be much to live off but I would carry on working anyway. Assuming I only spent £250k on a house (even that might be a bit of an overestimation for parts of South Wales) that would leave me £250k to play around with in investments. I would probably put £30k in premium bonds and then mess about with different shares or something else that took my fancy.

I have no doubt I wouldn't make as much money this way as if I had the £10k each month but I would rather be able to afford to pay off the house immediately without having to endure interest payments, have money in the bank just in case something happened, I would have more fun playing about with larger sums of money than just slowly increasing it each month and if for some reason I died young at least this way I would have money to pass on rather than the prixe disappearing.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 19:42   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

The 10K by the way.
£25k could be a perfectly worthwhile amount; between our whole house we're spending £50 a week on food (6 people), so making that between 1 is fairly safe. Add in another £300 per month to cover the basic bills, and that's still £20,000 or so for throwing around cash.

Most peoples major expenses are either loan/mortgages or rent. Remove that from the equation and people would be able to live much better than they can normally/
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 20:41   #26
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

I'd take the £1 million and throw it on the pile, I suppose.
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 22:51   #27
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: £10,000 per month or £1,000,000 once?

I'd take the lump sum, US tax laws being what they are. You take a big tax hit initially, but then you can invest the rest (in tax-exempt bonds, if you prefer). With a monthly distribution, you lose more of it to taxes.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 23:08   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
£25k could be a perfectly worthwhile amount; between our whole house we're spending £50 a week on food (6 people), so making that between 1 is fairly safe. Add in another £300 per month to cover the basic bills, and that's still £20,000 or so for throwing around cash./
£50 a week, for six people? What do you eat, frozen water?

I'm sure that once you have £1,000,000 in the bank, you'll be perfectly happy living in a shared house, eating beans and nipping down the laundaurette to wash your smalls every week.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 23:24   #29
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

We generally eat lots of nice big meaty meals. Today we had Chicken Gumbo, we have pizza and burgers and chilli and chicken and bacon melts, and generally fatty, cheesy things like that.

The £50 does only cover evening meals, we sort out our own breakfasts and lunches. These dont cost much though. And we have our own washing machine and dryer. Its just mostly cause we all eat together and cook things from fresh ingredients, rather than using anything prepared.

Its a good cheap way to eat, but it takes a lot of effort from those that do the cooking. Thankfully I am not one of those people. Mark does a great pizza though (all from fresh)
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 23:30   #30
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I would go for the 10k a month, just because I will probably do a lot of stupid things with the million. Living on 10k a month for your entire life sure does sound comfortable to me.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 00:25   #31
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ten grand so very obviously.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 00:42   #32
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

1mil up front and invest - 10K might be equivalent to 1K in 5 years and that would freak me out

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 01:25   #33
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
1mil up front and invest - 10K might be equivalent to 1K in 5 years and that would freak me out
Is the American economy really that bad?

Anyway, not including rent I spend about an average of £100 a week, that's food, bills, going out, beer, luxuries etc etc.
I can't see how I'd spend more than £4k a month MAX. Thats with a decent car, a decent house and decent holidays. (thats nearly £50k a year salary anyway!)
That's £6k a month to invest and gain interest on.
Average salary in this country is £16k, and I'd say £30k is a very decent salary.
There is no way it will devalue enough for that not to be worth it...

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 01:33   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
i saw his mistake but couldn't think of anything good to say.

you beat me.

hats off to you sir.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 01:41   #35
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
not right now we dont.. but in the long term, the world's economies might or might not be, because who knows, next year a comet the size of mt everest might get in contact with planet earth and kill us all (like in that one movie) - it's just smarter to have a huge lumpsum up front than little bits of it every month - also any nation's economy can still be just as successful in 5 or 10 years but the cost of living is on a constant trend of going the upwards direction, and it's always easier to work around an amount of 1million and harvest it rather than 10K at a time with constantly consuming and with little room to improve

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 10:30   #36
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the 10k a month, it wouldn't devalue enough to make it not worthwhile, and with your investments over time it would return much much more than the million
(assuming that you didn't buy a stupid car and kill yourself inside a couple of years)
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 12:20   #37
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
not right now we dont.. but in the long term, the world's economies might or might not be, because who knows, next year a comet the size of mt everest might get in contact with planet earth and kill us all (like in that one movie) - it's just smarter to have a huge lumpsum up front than little bits of it every month - also any nation's economy can still be just as successful in 5 or 10 years but the cost of living is on a constant trend of going the upwards direction, and it's always easier to work around an amount of 1million and harvest it rather than 10K at a time with constantly consuming and with little room to improve
But if you got 1mil you'd have the same problem if you're trying to live off the interest. You'd need to do some damn fine investing if you want to stay immune for such an inflation, because if inflation was THAT extreme it would be coupled with tonnes of companies/projects going bankrupt, no?
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 13:38   #38
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

gimme 1m everytime due to the fact life is unpredictable and I would rather have the chance to splash out in every way possible rather than waiting till 3 months have gone to buy that nice expensive car i was after.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:11   #39
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
But if you got 1mil you'd have the same problem if you're trying to live off the interest. You'd need to do some damn fine investing if you want to stay immune for such an inflation, because if inflation was THAT extreme it would be coupled with tonnes of companies/projects going bankrupt, no?
if i had 1mil, ill buy 2 big houses that will appreciate at 15-20% (and will go up as cost of living goes up), so i make around 30-40% of the money invested every year - have both houses rented, the money i make from my tenants will be used for maintenance of the houses - whatever's left will be put in a savings bond, or a mutual fund - i will keep working to pay the usual personal bills and expenses - this way i make money off of the 1mil no matter where the economy goes

-but then again, thats just me..

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:13   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You do realise that property prices can actually go down don't you?
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:14   #41
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

tbh id take the 10k a month for the rest of my life. bear in mind ill still want to be earning 120k a year is quite a nice supplement to that especially if its tax free.

you could invest in several properties on interest only mortgages with 10k a month coming in and create a considerable amount of wealth very rapidly. especially seeing as you know another 10k is coming in a mere 4 weeks time.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:15   #42
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
depends where you buy. usually they stay stagnant for a few years at worse then begin to rise again. unless the economy goes to the dogs and people think 'shit shit shit'
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:16   #43
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
if i had 1mil, ill buy 2 big houses that will appreciate at 15-20% (and will go up as cost of living goes up), so i make around 30-40% of the money invested every year - have both houses rented, the money i make from my tenants will be used for maintenance of the houses - whatever's left will be put in a savings bond, or a mutual fund - i will keep working to pay the usual personal bills and expenses - this way i make money off of the 1mil no matter where the economy goes

-but then again, thats just me..

15-20 appreciation...youd be lucky.... heh
youd never make 40% back in a year ever. if you could everyone would be doing it. 5-10% is more realistic tbh. unless your buying at the bottom of a boom.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:16   #44
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
if i had 1mil, ill buy 2 big houses that will appreciate at 15-20% (and will go up as cost of living goes up), so i make around 30-40% of the money invested every year
What?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:18   #45
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
What?
maths
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:18   #46
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
its possible but not very probable in places like california where property values have been going up in the last 60 years - so it is a risk, but then any investment is a risk, im just going for an investment where the trend of appreciation is constant, and property values appreciating in california (specially in the northern bay area, and southern california) has been very stable for a long time now

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:26   #47
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
if i had 1mil, ill buy 2 big houses
i'm confused by this statement.
Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:29   #48
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
15-20 appreciation...youd be lucky.... heh
youd never make 40% back in a year ever. if you could everyone would be doing it. 5-10% is more realistic tbh. unless your buying at the bottom of a boom.
property appreciation in california bay area and los angeles and san diego counties varies from 5%-20% hard to believe but it is, my uncle's house in glendale (a suburb of LA) went up 35% in 2002.. i couldnt believe it!

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:31   #49
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
i'm confused by this statement.
confusion is good, it reminds you that youre still alive

Unread 5 Feb 2005, 18:34   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
depends where you buy. usually they stay stagnant for a few years at worse then begin to rise again. unless the economy goes to the dogs and people think 'shit shit shit'
Obviously. Frankly I'm not going to credit demigod with being that much ahead of the pack that he's got every value buy sniffed out well in advance.

PS Remember that they have to rise ahead of inflation. Back in Ireland in the 80s they never actually started to fall but real value declined.

PPS Property prices go up by 5-20% per annum? How the hell can people buy houses in the first place? Averaging out at 12.5% that'd mean they treble inside of ten years.

At 20% a 200,000 dollar house in 1995 would now be worth ~1.24 million.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 5 Feb 2005 at 18:40.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote