User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Mar 2004, 13:55   #1
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
mp3 players

i want to buy a mp3 player and i m asking for your advice or suggestions about which to buy.

basically i want one for around seventy quid preferably not too much higher, ability to play wmas, around a 64mb or greater capacity...any ideas
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 14:10   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: mp3 players

The Creative MuVo's aren't _that_ bad for low cost very small playback. Although the basic version doesn't have shufflle/random playback which is kind of annoying. Can be used as pendrive type thing which can be useful.

Details here : http://www.nomadworld.com/products/MuVo/

I originally used the above for when jogging/exercising, but now it's my only mp3 player as I left my iPod on the train like a retard.

Personally though if I was buying today I'd go for something a little more expensive and get something with more feautres (like expandability, display, etc). Buying something for 70 quid and then wanting to upgrade a couple of months later seems a false economy.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 14:36   #3
Tobe
Checkout Boy

i just want it for use while at the gym etc, so i m not going to get a mp3 player with shuffle for £70 or less?
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 14:52   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

A friend of mine has a imp550... he says it's really
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 15:13   #5
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

you could get a CD/MP3/RADIO player for around that price... but you'd have to burn them that way you get 750mb of space though, and you dont have to hook it up to anything. Plus you can still play your Cds and listen to your favorite radio program. Mine works fine...

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:02   #6
Tobe
Checkout Boy

i did some searching for myself and found the nike act211 one which seems pretty ideal for what i m looking for anyone got it? know if its any good?
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:09   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If your budget is only around 70 pound, why not consider a Minidisk player instead?

QDS: A CD based player isnt really ideal for the gym...
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:21   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For £80 u could get this: (£69 exc vat)
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=30WD

I have the previous version, it has no radio, its really small, really easy to use and really rather good
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:30   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Only 128 Mb of memory means little music. 2 hrs @ 128kbps (the 4 hrs advertised would be at 64 kbps, which is really shitty). Ofcourse, this might be enough for what you use it for, but take it into considderation.
Personally I wouldn't want one of these players because I (used to) listen to music in the bus. So for the 2 hrs I travel each day, I'd hear every song once. The day they got players with a gb of flash memory I might consider buying one. But untill that day I'm happy with my MP3-CD player.
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:35   #10
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

i own a no name player with a 128mb compact flash card - i found 128mb to be sufficient for doing sports/ training at the gym
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:46   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Personally I wouldn't want one of these players because I (used to) listen to music in the bus. So for the 2 hrs I travel each day, I'd hear every song once. The day they got players with a gb of flash memory I might consider buying one. But untill that day I'm happy with my MP3-CD player.
What's wrong with harddrive based players? Why would you need solid state that desperately
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:53   #12
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

mini ipods

dunno how much they are but

like MINI IPODS

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:54   #13
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

I believe his point is the expense of the harddrive based players, as to get a reasonable amount of storage space puts the price up a lot. An MP3-CD player can store a large amount of music (I have one and could easily listen to 1 CD all day at work and not have to listen to a single song twice, hell, there was far more tha 8 hours worth on there...) and are still cheap (you can pick up an MP3-CD player for about £50). While I would like a hard-drive based one, theres no way I could afford one that was actually able to store the amount of music I would want in that situation. It depends what you want to use it for though. The only downsides of the CD player type ones are the jogging issues if it is wanted for use down the gym or suchlike, the need to actually burn a CD of the music you want, and they get through batteries quicker.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:56   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
What's wrong with harddrive based players? Why would you need solid state that desperately
Price for one. iPod is too expensive for my taste. iHP series the same.
Plus I haven't really looked at that many HD players.
I might consider buying a HD based player if they become a tad cheaper but for now I don't need such an expensive player. A cheap MP3-CD player does the trick for now.
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 20:59   #15
Nodrog

Harddrive players are too expensive, so youre wanting a solid state player with over a gigabyte of memory?

I dont think youve thought this through...
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 21:05   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Harddrive players are too expensive, so youre wanting a solid state player with over a gigabyte of memory?

I dont think youve thought this through...
Assuming they become cheap...
Wishfull thinking... I know.
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 22:18   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How good are (current) HD MP3 players with regards to jog protection?

I had one of the early Nomad's which suffered from some problems in that area.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2004, 23:08   #18
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Creative Jukebox 2 = £124.99 from Dabs.Com
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2004, 00:28   #19
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Creative Jukebox 2 = £124.99 from Dabs.Com
Its a bit big.

Does it still suffer from the horrible user interface and buggy software that plagued the Jukebox 1 out of interest.
Unread 8 Mar 2004, 00:35   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Whats wrong with the one I suggested!?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote