User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 11:44   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wetherspoons to ban smoking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4201053.stm

Not til 2006 though.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 11:46   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Wetherspoons to ban smoking

Edit: Nottingham is on the list of ones to ban it from May .
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 11:51   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nottingham?
Yes! Back of the net! Should read the articles I link to better heh.

Finally I can go to curry club without coming out smelling of fags (that's the ones you smoke, not the ones you bend over a bench). Now to make a note on my calendar...
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:18   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nice one - Wish the Sheffield ones were on the early list.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:35   #5
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:38   #6
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Wait.
Does this mean none of us pale skinned nerds smoke?
For some reason, I imagined a reasonable amount of you chain smoking in-front of your computers slowely having mental breakdowns.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:39   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i may well goto spoons more now as a result of this. i know theres loads of you who think its an infringement on your 'right to do whatever you want' type crap but tbh smoking is smelly and i hate changing into unworn clothes for a mere 3-4hours and then having to air them or wash them again before i can use them due to the horrific stench thats left from smokers.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 12:45   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I'd give you positive reputation for cheering me up immensely, but it won't let me.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 13:07   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

why not?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 13:12   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I've given too much in 24 hours, apparently. Although even if I hadn't, I think I gave you some yesterday so it'd just probably tell me I need to spread my reputation-giving around more.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 14:53   #11
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Its certainly nice to know there will be somewhere I can go for a drink where I dont end up stinking afterwards. I dont know if its something I'm particularly sensistive to, I can always smell it really strongly if, for example, I'm walking along about 10 metres behind someone smoking - out in the open, so it really gets to me.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 15:00   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
i may well goto spoons more now as a result of this. i know theres loads of you who think its an infringement on your 'right to do whatever you want' type crap but tbh smoking is smelly and i hate changing into unworn clothes for a mere 3-4hours and then having to air them or wash them again before i can use them due to the horrific stench thats left from smokers.
The problem is when the government bans smoking in all pubs which is an infringement on the property rights of publicans, not this sort of thing.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 15:04   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Wetherspoons to ban smoking

I'm not even sure if I've ever been in a Weatherspoons before.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 15:05   #14
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

You have. You went to one with me and Mark in Durham. Where the girl played with your hair.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 15:31   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
i hate changing into unworn clothes for a mere 3-4hours and then having to air them or wash them again before i can use them due to the horrific stench thats left from smokers.
Fabreeze is your friend.

As for the article - very pleased. I assumed the 60 by May this year would be where there are 3 or 4 near each others in cities and they would ban it in one of them, thus giving people a choice.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 15:56   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Well if they're going to arse about like that then hopefully the one in Nottingham's old market square will be the no smoking one, as it's cool and big and ace.
Although like all Wetherspoons' since the dawn of time, it never has enough people on the bar on a Thursday.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:32   #17
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Well if they're going to arse about like that then hopefully the one in Nottingham's old market square will be the no smoking one, as it's cool and big and ace.
Although like all Wetherspoons' since the dawn of time, it never has enough people on the bar on a Thursday.
The one just off market square isn't bad either though. Good for going for a meal as there's lots of tables around.
In fact the one in Arnold is pretty big too...
Is the one on the Waterfront a Lloyds?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:35   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
The problem is when the government bans smoking in all pubs which is an infringement on the property rights of publicans, not this sort of thing.
in the same way that they infringe the rights of everyone else by not letting them sell alcohol where they feel like it, or in the same way that smokers infringe the rights of everyone else to be able to breath?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:44   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

The one at the waterfront use to be a Wetherspoons but is now a Lloyds yes.
The one up behind the council house towards Hockley is also a Lloyds. Or it was last time I was in it, which was about 2 years ago - it gets far too full for me to be bothered now.
Then there's the one, as you say, just up from the market square next to Rileys which is a Genuine Spoonies (TM).
And the one in the market sqaure which is also a GS (TM).

The one next to Rileys is quite nice yeah, but a little small...
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:49   #20
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i have no problem whatsoever with an establishment choosing to ban smoking.

if it were the government opposing the ban ON the establishment there would be a reason to complain, as it is, it doesnt really matter.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 16:51   #21
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Are Lloyds' remaining smoker's pubs?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 17:17   #22
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

am I being cynical in thinking that pub chains are only giving in quietly and banning smoking themselves because the govt is giving them 24 hour opening as a reward?
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 17:26   #23
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
I've given too much in 24 hours, apparently. Although even if I hadn't, I think I gave you some yesterday so it'd just probably tell me I need to spread my reputation-giving around more.
I was right.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to meglamaniac again."
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 17:47   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Noone with any credibility ever had this down as a 'right to smoke' versus 'right to not be smoked on' argument.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 18:09   #25
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

lots of states here in the US banned smoking in public establishments about almost 10 years ago, some states just now started banning it, its a bitch at first but you get used to it, you walk out on club's or bar's smoking area after hours of dancing, its pretty cool actually, good place to meet chicks because you can actually hear their female-nonsense coming out of their mouths without being slammed in your ears by loud music - one of those "hi---" | "hi---" | "whats your name?---" | "whaaat?---" | "whats your naaame??---" | "oh, felicia!!!" | "fellatio?!??!"--- | "uhm, yea! nice to meet you!" - you know what i mean?

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 18:12   #26
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The sooner they ban alcohol from Wetherspoons, the better. It smells and is bad for you!

....aw
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 18:41   #27
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The sooner they ban alcohol from Wetherspoons, the better. It smells and is bad for you!
You do have the right to have water if you want you know.

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 19:09   #28
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeah but drinking alcohol infringes the rights of other people in the pub to not be in the room with a drunk person.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 19:19   #29
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
You do have the right to have water if you want you know.
Drinking water on a pub crawl, and playing drinking games with water, isn't as much fun as it might sound.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:06   #30
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I don't think a chain of pubs banning smoking on their premises is an infringement on my rights. I will choose to go to a pub where I can smoke, or I will stand outside and smoke (for example if I am out with non smoking friends who want to go to a non smoking pub). Personally I think an outright ban on smoking in public places is wrong, but I have no objections to a partial ban. In light of this move by Wetherspoons, pub goers, especially in cities, will have an actual choice. If they don't mind smoke then they will go to a pub which allows smoking. If they wish to go to a non smoking pub they will have that choice.

Having said all that - who the hell goes on a night out to the pub and then doesn't wash their shirt before wearing it again?!!!????

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:12   #31
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

There already is at least one smoke free bar in nottingham (it's where Casa used to be on Friar Lane, can't remember the name right now). Bring them in I say.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:37   #32
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hasn't the second most popular argument used by those who support government bans on smoking (ranking behind private property being evil) been that the market would not create smoking-free pubs on it's own due to a lack of popular demand?

Do most of you understand why you are morons yet?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:38   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
in the same way that they infringe the rights of everyone else by not letting them sell alcohol where they feel like it, or in the same way that smokers infringe the rights of everyone else to be able to breath?
Selling alcohol is illegal elsewhere. Smoking is legal elsewhere. Why should it be illegal to do something that is legal, given that it's your own property?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:42   #34
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Because it pisses us healthy people right off, and your cancer stick sucking can actually ruin the health of non smokers?

Cue massive passive smoking argument.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:46   #35
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Because it pisses us healthy people right off, and your cancer stick sucking can actually ruin the health of non smokers?

hahahaha no

noone actually cares about passive smoking, people just use it as a rationalization of the fact they don't like the smell. "stop smoking you are killing me!!!" sounds more effective than "stop smoking because it's annoying". If you were that concerned your health then you wouldnt be in a pub.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:47   #36
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
hahahaha no

noone actually cares about passive smoking, people just use it as a rationalization of the fact they don't like the smell. "stop smoking you are killing me!!!" sounds more effective than "stop smoking because it's annoying".
say that to someone with asthma.

Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:47   #37
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Anyhoo, it's gonna happen so that's me happy.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:48   #38
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
say that to someone with asthma.
That isnt passive smoking in the sense the term is normally used.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 20:50   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't smoke, and I hate breathing it.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 21:07   #40
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: Wetherspoons to ban smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebany
You have. You went to one with me and Mark in Durham. Where the girl played with your hair.
Ah, of course. With the pink hair tie?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 21:14   #41
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation Re: Wetherspoons to ban smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
been that the market would not create smoking-free pubs on it's own due to a lack of popular demand?
Actually, one of the reasons they're doing this is largely because the government is swifly moving towards a ban, and they want to be organised regarding this ahead of their competition.

One of their chaps was just on the Radio Four, and he was very uncertain about what it's precise business impact would be. (He seemed pretty bloody relucant about the whole thing, actually.)
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 22:21   #42
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

Exactly why there should be smoking AND non smoking pubs. Then everyone wins.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 22:47   #43
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
Exactly why there should be smoking AND non smoking pubs. Then everyone wins.
and how would you choose the lucky souls who get the smoking/non smoking pub to run, depending on which do infact make more money?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:25   #44
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
and how would you choose the lucky souls who get the smoking/non smoking pub to run, depending on which do infact make more money?
You're thinking in way too general terms rather than looking at specific situations ("if most people prefer non-Irish themed pubs to Irish themed pubs, then why do Irish themed pubs still exist?") . Suppose, for instance, that in general 'smoking' pubs make more money than non-smoking pubs. Now, you have a street in the town centre with 7 pubs on it, all of which allow customers to smoke. You are the manager of a newly opening eighth pub on the same street. Even if smoking pubs do make more money in general, which option do you think is likely to make you the most in this particular situation?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:26   #45
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Actually, one of the reasons they're doing this is largely because the government is swifly moving towards a ban, and they want to be organised regarding this ahead of their competition.
Even if this were true, what would they gain by switching in advance if there was not a market for it? If anything they would drive customers away, leaving them at a disadvantage when the ban was eventually implemented (since they would have lost a lot of their regulars).
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:28   #46
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no smoking = no smelly clothes = less effort on my part

top stuff.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:47   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Selling alcohol is illegal elsewhere. Smoking is legal elsewhere. Why should it be illegal to do something that is legal, given that it's your own property?
I get negative rep for this post, and I have absolutely no idea why.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:47   #48
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

I have mixed feelings on banning smoking. While I think that we are free to point that our freedom infringes another, I can't help but think that people could just avoid smokers rather than try to ban them from places. Yes, I find the smoke irritating, but it is that persons right to smoke. I guess I can accept these private bans for now, but when the government attempts to ban smoking from private places then I will be angry. Let's not even talk about banning smoking outright
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:55   #49
Nodrog

A pub is a private place - it is owned by a person in the exact same way a bedroom is. When I have a houseparty, does my flat become a public space?
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:59   #50
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

If you are asking me, then no. I don't see how I implied that, but if I did I sure didn't mean to.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote