User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 11:49   #1
CaShY

CaShY is an unknown quantity at this point
PHP, COOKIES, IMAGES, and the Devil

Hi i was wondering if anyone here has had any experience setting cookies in images in IE 6,

i am trying to set up a post impression cookie system were when someone else loads an image from an external site. It sets a cookie and when they come over to mine i know that it was them who refered them.

However IE6 doesn't seam to want to do this, i haven't got other versions to test it on however i am guessing it would be the same.

I have the script working and it works fine through FireFox, Which if it wasn't going to work in either i would have thought FireFox would have been the one to cause the problem, any help with this would be great.

As i haven't a clue why it won't work in internet explorer yet work fine in FireFox
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 02:00   #2
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Re: PHP, COOKIES, IMAGES, and the Devil

i'm not quite sure what you're trying to do there, but why not just use $_SERVER['http_referrer']
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 10:03   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The default IE6 Privacy settings are:

Medium

- Blocks third-party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy
- Blocks third-party cookies that use personally identifiable information without your implicit consent
- Restricts first-party cookies that use personally identifiable information without implicit consent

In other words, you're shafted as the majority of IE users will have these settings (and rightly so).
I second the suggestion to use $_SERVER['http_referrer'], although I too am unsure exactly what you're trying to do.
Could you explain it step by step?
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 13:57   #4
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Image beacons are bad.

Use $_SERVER['http_referrer'] instead if you can.