User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Nov 2004, 16:11   #1
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation I need to change my underwear.

My guidance tutor for my dissertation just sent me this regarding the results of the dissertation outlines:

"The results on this are not good . Some of you have even failed. I need to make sure you see my written comments / and hear my verbal feedback to assist you with your work over the Christmas break. I am therefore reserving the hours of 2 - 5 Monday next December 6th to see you all individually. DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY. Make time. If you cannot wait until then call in before then and take pot luck that I am available. Confirm you have understood message and RSVP."

All this in a variety of font sizes and with a liberal use of bold type.

This was sent to me and several other people he is responsible for.

I proceed to cack myself, naturally.

I rush out of the Drill Hall, across the street, up the stairs of Northumberland building, squirting urine into my pants and trousers with every trembling step, rush to his office, knock on the door - I hear his voice, so he's inside - and say "Steve, you needed to see me."

Steve (Who is a sort of lovable hippy throwback who obviously took far too many drugs and is now in a sort of perpetual laid-back philosophical high - Imagine Danny from Withnail and I aged sixty with reading glasses.) says "Oh yeah, Andrew, well, you don't have to worry, it's the other people on the list who failed, you did okay." I had in fact got 62%, which is pretty much my average mark.

I could have strangled him if I hadn't been so full of relief.

So please don't trick people like this. It's not nice and it destroys undergarments.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 16:24   #2
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: I need to change my underwear.

can you pass with only 62%?
i would have though you need more than a 62% understanding of something for it to be concidered you know it
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 16:26   #3
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: I need to change my underwear.

62% is a 2-1 here, which shows you how bad this university is and how standards have declined etc.

Anything lower than XL is a fail.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 29 Nov 2004 at 19:38.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 18:11   #4
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Its the same for all universities and has been for many years afaik.
I dont understand how 62% can be considered to not understand the topic, at least to someone who understands how these things are marked.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 18:19   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
i would have though you need more than a 62% understanding of something for it to be concidered you know it
On my undergraduatre degree you had to be a ****ing genius to get anything above 75%. Its stupid really but mainly because all my exams were essay based so marking them is pretty hard because there is nearly always something else you could have mentioned given enough time, and so just depends on what the lecturer things is the most relevant stuff.

The only lecturer we had that was known for giving over 90% to students was not particularly well liked by the other lecturers because they thought his marking was too slack. The way he looked at though was that you had 1 hour to write an essay, so if you filled 1 hours worth of paper with totally relevant stuff you deserved a very high 1st class mark, and so thats what he gave you.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 18:19   #6
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

62% doesn't denote your understanding of a topic. And Oxbridge mark a lot more strictly than most universities.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 18:38   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Anything lower than fourty is a fail.
You don't deserve to pass anything when you can't spell numbers bigger than ten.

****tard.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 19:41   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

I've fixed it so it's more acceptable to your numerical preferences, old man.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 19:48   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I found out I passed the first year of my masters the other day.

A cynic would note that they give you the results after asking for the money for the second year but oh well.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 19:56   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
62% doesn't denote your understanding of a topic.
It denotes that I got a 2-1. There is very little else that I care about tbh.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 19:58   #11
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I found out I passed the first year of my masters the other day.

A cynic would note that they give you the results after asking for the money for the second year but oh well.
Is a Masters interesting, or has education become a complete pain in the ass by then?
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:01   #12
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
It denotes that I got a 2-1. There is very little else that I care about tbh.
I didn't mean to suggest that a 2-1 was in someway sub-standard. Hell, you got into Oxbridge (I hope I'm not mistaken here). I didn't (and I did try) - please don't misunderstand me as patronising.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:03   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Is a Masters interesting, or has education become a complete pain in the ass by then?
It gets me a day off every week but it's mildly boring. The people teaching the course are supposed to be among the top social policy types in the country but I'm yet to be impressed by their genius.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:05   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Oxbridge!

Yeah, yeah, mabye in a fantasy of mine, or some fevered dream. Manson at Cambridge, along with that hot ginger girl from secondary school who went and is now working in Alan Milburn's office. Yeah, I probably dreamed that up at some point.

Where did you get that idea from?

Good god, I only barely managed to get into Northumbria.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:20   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
62 is just a number, it doesn't really mean anything out of context. When the questions have been specifically designed so that the average student gets a mark of around ~60%, then getting this mark means that you have an average understanding of the topic. Given enough time and a sufficiently large control group I could create a logic paper for mensa students where the average mark would be ~60% ish - it wouldnt mean they don't understand the topic, it's just how the paper would have been designed. Your understanding of a topic is only peripherally linked to your ability to answer indepth questions about a specific part of it under exam conditions anyway.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:22   #16
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Oxbridge!

Yeah, yeah, mabye in a fantasy of mine, or some fevered dream. Manson at Cambridge, along with that hot ginger girl from secondary school who went and is now working in Alan Milburn's office. Yeah, I probably dreamed that up at some point.

Where did you get that idea from?

Good god, I only barely managed to get into Northumbria.
'Whoops' is perhaps the correct form of reply here. :P
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:24   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Yeah, but why did you have the impression that I was an Oxbridge student?

I mean, I know I give off the sort of aura required, but I'm not that good at it.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:27   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Maybe you sound like the sort of wanker who would go to Cambridge?
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:28   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Oh btw, it was a paper in preperation for my dissertation, and I was rather pleased considering I knocked it up the night before it was due in, and finished it the on the morning of the deadline.

I really must try not to do that with the dissertation itself.

I believe that motivation is a key 'issue' with me generally.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:30   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question Re: I need to change my underwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Maybe you sound like the sort of wanker who would go to Cambridge?
Do I?
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 20:54   #21
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the level we were told was this : (International Politics at Aberystwyth University)

(%)
90-100 = Leading Academics within the Field and God.
80-90 = Our Lecturers (altho some of these fall into the above catagory)
70-80 = Our seminar tutors / people who are fairly ace and know what theyre talking about.
60-70 = Good level of understanding. Not exceptional but by no means crap
50-60 = Most people fall into this one. Fairly good. Not brilliant but again not crap.
40-50 = Needs more work (obviously). (2:2) level
30-40 = Utter shite. You shouldnt be doing the course (A Pass at degree level or 'third')
Less than 30 = Failure.

Above 70 gets you a first
60-70 = 2:1
40-60 = 2:2
30-40 = Third
Less than 30 = Fail.

(im not 100% syure about the 40-60 band tho...it might not be quite as wide for a 2:2....)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 21:13   #22
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Hm. I can't remember what the pass marks were at my Uni. You needed either 75 or 80% for a 1st though - probably 75 seeing as I got one :p

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 21:18   #23
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Yeah, but why did you have the impression that I was an Oxbridge student?

I mean, I know I give off the sort of aura required, but I'm not that good at it.
God knows. Maybe it was just that aura of superiority. :P
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 17:39   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Exam marks are actually a pretty inaccurate representation of showing understanding of a subject.

They are marked in such a way that it isn't how much you know, it's about showing what you know off. The scheme usually works in a way that if the understanding is shown clearly and concisely, then you'll get more points than someone who understands it, but isn't very good at showing they understand it.

So you might be an expert in your field, but don't know the common jargon used, or your method might not be the "accepted" mehod, so you miss out.
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 02:06   #25
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

62% != pass

well...its equal to a third or a "pass" I think. Buck your ideas man
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 13:55   #26
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Starbucks clearly goes to a mean uni
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 14:41   #27
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I thought anything below 40 was a fail.
Anything above 70=first
60-70=2:1
50-60=2:2
40-50=third
I should know, I got a third, oppps!

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 15:30   #28
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
well...its equal to a third or a "pass" I think. Buck your ideas man
Err, no, it's equal to a 2-1. Certainly here, which is all that concerns me tbh. Pretty much all that has been posted earlier by people like JJ is correct.
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 15:35   #29
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Thinking about it, surely it makes sense to make the overall pass mark fairly low, as then there is much more space to grade the candidates that pass, and you dont end up with a situation like there is at GCSE where over half of candidates get the top grade and you dont know which of those are actually good and which just scraped through. It makes little difference exactly how much someone failed by, but being able to clearly see the difference between someone who got 50% and someone who got 80% is kinda handy when employers are looking at them further down the line.

Course, this is only a good point for the people who got 80%.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 15:41   #30
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

the american system of marking is drastically different to the uk one

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote