User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Mar 2004, 19:34   #1
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
.reg files, MS Email

In order for my Dedicated UT2K4 server to work, I need to get a CDKEY from epic. This is all perfectly easy, all you have to do is go to http://unreal.epicgames.com/ut2004server/cdkey.php (or something like that) and fill in my email address, and it sends me one.

It sends me one as a .reg file, in order to update the system registry with the cdkey, yadayadayada. All standard stuff.

EXCEPT.

I tried it through hotmail, at first. Unfortunately, the filters not only warn against downloading the .reg attachment, it makes it impossible to download.

OK, give up with that.

Send it to my ISP email.

It sends it fine, but then MS Outlook on my end (well, on Sam's PC) blocks it there as well, and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off.

****ing Microsoft.

(Yes, I know, download another email client, etc)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 19:42   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: .reg files, MS Email

Sending a .reg as an attachment is pretty silly, but you shouldnt be using hotmail or outlook.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 19:54   #3
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

I like outlook. But anyway...

after investigation I found out how (I have a suspicion I now have a security hole in my computer...) and had yo tweak my registry settings and reset to be able to access the file.

Upon reading the email that it came with (which could be read before) they do say as an alternative to running the .reg file you can....go in and tweak the registry to add the bit thats relevant.

Exactly why Mark didnt try reading the email before I'm not sure. It could have saved me a reset.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 19:59   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

There's a setting in outlook that "blocks potentially dangerous files"

tools->options...
security tab
uncheck "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"

This is checked on default.

If that's not it... then I don't know.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:02   #5
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know if that was for Outlook 2002 - but that option isnt there in my security tab.

Looks like they didnt want to make it easy for idiots to turn off (at least not without seriously fking up their computer into the bargain by messing up the wrong registry settings)
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:09   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebany
Exactly why Mark didnt try reading the email before I'm not sure. It could have saved me a reset.
But then we would have had to reset the gateway.

Good thinking holmes!
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:11   #7
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Well I didnt know where you wanted to use it.

And you could have reset that one before I got home from work and I wouldnt have minded at all. Poor thing could probably use a reset. Its been on for about 3 months.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:24   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's been on for a day.

It died yesterday.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:36   #9
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
In order for my Dedicated UT2K4 server to work, I need to get a CDKEY from epic. This is all perfectly easy, all you have to do is go to http://unreal.epicgames.com/ut2004server/cdkey.php (or something like that) and fill in my email address, and it sends me one.

It sends me one as a .reg file, in order to update the system registry with the cdkey, yadayadayada. All standard stuff.

EXCEPT.

I tried it through hotmail, at first. Unfortunately, the filters not only warn against downloading the .reg attachment, it makes it impossible to download.

OK, give up with that.

Send it to my ISP email.

It sends it fine, but then MS Outlook on my end (well, on Sam's PC) blocks it there as well, and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off.

****ing Microsoft.

(Yes, I know, download another email client, etc)
Hehe, I block this at the excahnge server level, I control users disteny on what they can download.

Also, that is pretty stupid of Epic. At least they should have done was add a character and in the message say you need to remove the extra character.

A lot of this stems form MS hidding extentions of known files by default, someone makes a exe and gives it a icon of notepad and names the file name loveyou.txt.exe

BUT EXE IS NEVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!111111111

How stupid is this feature, and how stupid are users to use it.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:42   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Obligatory "Opera has an email client" post.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:44   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Obligatory "Opera has an email client" post.
See: Last line of first post.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:47   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Obligatory "That's why you should have Opera installed in the first place" response.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:48   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Obligatory "That's why you should have Opera installed in the first place" response.
I do, on all my PC's.