User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Oct 2007, 19:55   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
One for the rich people

Got forwarded this today:

The Original Post:
'What am I doing wrong?’
Okay, I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board ? Any wives ? Could you send me some tips ? I dated a business man who made an average of around 200 - 250K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250,000 won’t get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker, and lives in Tribeca. She’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right ? How do I get to her level ?

Here are my questions specifically:
- Where do you single rich men hang out ? Give me specifics - bars, restaurants, gyms
- What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won’t hurt my feelings
- Is there an age range I should be targeting ?
- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? I’ve seen really ‘Plain Jane’ boring types, who have nothing to offer incredibly wealthy guys. Then I’ve seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the East Village. What’s the story there ?
- Lawyers, investment bankers, doctors. How much do those guys really make ? And where do the hedge fund guys hang out ?
- How do you rich guys decide on marriage vs. just a girlfriend ? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY.

Please hold your insults - I’m putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial - at least I’m being up front about it. I wouldn’t be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn’t able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice hearth and home'.

An Investment Banker's Response:
Dear Pers-431649184:
'I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.

Firstly, I’m not wasting your time. I qualify as a guy who fits your bill - that is, I make more than $500K per year. That said, here’s how I see it:
Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is a plain and simple crappy business deal. Here’s why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity - in fact, it is very likely that my income will increase, but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, however, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain - you’re 25 now and will likely remain pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 - stick a fork in you!

So, in Wall Street terms, we'd call you a trading position - not a buy and hold…hence the rub…marriage. It doesn’t make good business sense to 'buy you' (which is what you’re asking) - so I’d rather lease. In case you think I’m being cruel, I would say the following: if my money were to go away, so would you - so when your beauty fades I need an out too. It’s as simple as that. So the deal that makes sense for me is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as 'articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful' as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that, if you are as gorgeous as you say you are, your $500K man hasn’t found you - if only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money - and then we wouldn’t need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you’re going about it the right way. Classic 'pump and dump'. I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, please let me know'.

Maybe you could contact her Rankin - you may not earn £250k but I'm sure the percentage of your income you spend on your girlfriend would interest her
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 20:20   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: One for the rich people

There's a second reply as well:

'MY ADVICE:

Dear Pers-431649184:

I also came across your posting with great interest. I am a 28 year old Wall Street trader who qualifies as an eligible suitor under your $500k/yr rule. In fact, I make over a million and can usher a woman into a comfortable, true middle class lifestyle (not like those 500k lower-middle class chumps who have to make do with the junior two-bedroom).

I am sympathetic to your goal in finding a rich man to marry. The milk needs to be sold by the expiration date. But since this is premium milk, why would you settle for less than premium prices? I would like to address some of the questions that were previously missed by the other gentleman and provide constructive advice on where to find your match.

I also do believe in the efficient market theory, and am surprised that $500k hasn't found you yet. There are plenty of rich lawyers, investment bankers and hedgies to go around in this city. What gives? I think the problem might be that you have not been sufficiently focused in your search efforts.

The culprit, I believe, may be that you are also looking for qualities aside from money - such as looks, personality, and a sense of humor. However, men who have those qualities learn at an early age that they do not need money to attract quality women. As the saying goes, if you can get the milk for free, why pay up for the cow?

What you need to look for is someone who is long money, and short the other aspects. They are not easy to spot, since you are biologically wired to overlook and ignore them. However, the next time that you are at a expensive black tie event, and you are introduced to the short, bald, overweight man who fidgets nervously whilst making conversation with you, pay special attention to him.

Here's an inspirational story for you. An acquaintance of mine who was also an classy and articulate woman as yourself was able to land that guy - who also happens to be one of the top ten guys at Google. This is the type of stuff that gold-digging moms read to their gold-digging daughters at bedtime. Perhaps you need to make a location change to Silicon Valley - miracles like these happen almost everyday in a land where you can randomly throw a rock and hit a rich nerd squarely in his Kim-jong Il glasses.

And as far as his deficiencies go, they turned out to be not so bad. With hundreds of millions in the bank, she's been able to clean him up and give him a little sophistication. Think of it as a fixer-upper project with a massive budget (and yourself as a visionary real estate developer!). Although, I must warn you, it is a fine line you are flirting with - you must not overdo it lest he begins to attract younger women who are hotter than yourself. The trick is, you need build him up enough to be presentable, while simultaneously manipulate him into believing you are the best that he will ever do! That, botox and having kids will be your insurance against your depreciation (or as I prefer to use the term, milk going sour).

I wish the best of luck on your sales project. As for me, I am also available for a short-term lease. However, for marriage I wouldn't consider a woman unless she can bring beauty, brains and self-motivation to the table. I do not want to dilute my gene pool and end up raising a bunch of Paris Hiltons.'
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 20:43   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'cultural differences'
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:08   #4
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

The two replies seemed alright before the faggots both offered to date her. I don't get it, why do you want a relationship with someone who is good looking but doesn't like you?
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:10   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The two replies seemed alright before the faggots both offered to date her. I don't get it, why do you want a relationship with someone who is good looking but doesn't like you?
I sincerely doubt that both men were homosexual. They certainly weren't displaying homosexual tendancies.
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:31   #6
Landor Maxim

Landor Maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a little over the height of full growed dog, a bulge on me back and have to walk about with a bag over me head to hide the hideousness of my beautiful face but apart from that I am handsome Oh and nearly forgot about the leg well the part that is missing. I lost it one day an cant remember where I put it.

Lots money so thats not a problem my mother says im beautiful but hey she is bias apart from being blind.

Ugly dont come into the question because there is not a word invented for my looks. I can sing dance and play tiddly winks so one could not want any more for entertainment. One night at a bar they put velcrow on my back and would toss me onto a wall ..... that was such fun.

Oh well such is life maybe one day some one some where will give me a hug and buy me a coffee.
Landor Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:34   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
why do you want a relationship with someone who is good looking but doesn't like you?
It's slightly less awkward after you've finished degrading them in whichever fashion you're into.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 22:21   #8
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I sincerely doubt that both men were homosexual. They certainly weren't displaying homosexual tendancies.
hay man Gods never forget. Oh wait, that's Elephants, but you qualify as one of those too
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 22:32   #9
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It doesn't make much sense to me either, but then high flying investment bankers (etc!!) don't have much time for a social life (from what I've heard). So a nice pretty girl who is tolerable, makes nice meals for you, and looks good on your arm is probably a great addition.

People have different priorities in relationships though. If you're a short fat guy with lots of money, would you rather spend your limited free time with a pretty (relatively shallow) girl or an interesting yet ugly girl?
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 22:34   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why do people visit prostitutes.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 22:49   #11
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
If you're a short fat guy with lots of money, would you rather spend your limited free time with a pretty (relatively shallow) girl or an interesting yet ugly girl?
The latter.
Especially in his case because people would just be able to tell that the pretty girl doesn't like him
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 01:52   #12
Landor Maxim

Landor Maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Giving folks an image is a protection so they wont come take me to coffee for my riches.
Landor Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 14:55   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195500 ?
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 18:23   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Now I feel bad. This is where I found it:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/439983703.html
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 19:10   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

You know as much as I dispise rich people, I am rather in awe of how professionally and thoroughly they whittled her away into nothing.
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 19:56   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

One thing that bugs me about London is that when you chat to certain groups of people you will encounter a series of questions that are only asked not out of interest but to determine how much money you have.
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 20:37   #17
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
People have different priorities in relationships though. If you're a short fat guy with lots of money, would you rather spend your limited free time with a pretty (relatively shallow) girl or an interesting yet ugly girl?
If you're that rich, you could just buy both!
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 16:09   #18
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Heh it made the BBC business page

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7037362.stm
Unread 24 Oct 2007, 23:18   #19
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
One thing that bugs me about London is that when you chat to certain groups of people you will encounter a series of questions that are only asked not out of interest but to determine how much money you have.
Can you give examples of some of the questions?
Unread 24 Oct 2007, 23:49   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Well, it does seem kind of rude to ask directly, even with people I know well I tend to ask indirectly when I do.

Aside from cultural taboo, I don't see why people should be ashamed particularly. If you're ashamed because it's too low then get a better job, if it's too high then give 80% to charity.

Obviously no-one wants to sit listening to you go on about the solid gold house you're going to buy with your huge wealth, but the approximate standard of living people are enjoying is an important factor in inter-personal relations.
Quote:
Can you give examples of some of the questions?
Well, I'm not sure exactly what he means, but I sometimes ask people questions about their housing tenure or pension if I'm indirectly asking how well-off they are.
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 00:08   #21
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Aside from cultural taboo, I don't see why people should be ashamed particularly. If you're ashamed because it's too low then get a better job, if it's too high then give 80% to charity.
I think the point pig is trying to make is not how much he makes, rather that it shouldn't be a topic discussed with people you've just met. Why should your income be relevant to any conversation, unless you're talking about how much you spent on something?

Quote:
Obviously no-one wants to sit listening to you go on about the solid gold house you're going to buy with your huge wealth, but the approximate standard of living people are enjoying is an important factor in inter-personal relations.
Why is it an important factor?
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 10:01   #22
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Hmm, if $500k a year is "lower-middle class chumps", is the american pay-index or whatever it's called (the index that defines how much people make) extremely high?
Because here in Belgium I think €150k a year is pretty damn rich.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 10:03   #23
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Eye of the beholder etc. If you're aiming for 1m, then obviously 500k is shit.
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 11:25   #24
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Er, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
Hmm, if $500k a year is "lower-middle class chumps", is the american pay-index or whatever it's called (the index that defines how much people make) extremely high?
Because here in Belgium I think €150k a year is pretty damn rich.
€150k will buy you a nice TV and a house in a respectable area but its unlikely to let you retire at 40 or generally liberate you from working life.

It depends what you think money is for I guess, if youre primarilly interested in consumer goods then €150k is a lot. For other things, not so much. It depends how youre making it too; €150k running your own business with the freedom that entails would be far preferable to earning slightly more working for someone else imo.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 13:15   #25
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Well I entered several details on this belgian webpage we have, where you enter: level of degree, years of work experience, function level, function category, sector, overhours (extra worktime don't know correct english word :/), organisation size, etc.. And still the biggest pay I saw with 5 years of experience was €7k per month. Lawyer and stock exchange weren't on there, but I'd think the following should be pretty close to their pay?:

Level of degree: Master (university)
Years of experience: 5 years
Function level: senior&top management
Function category: General Management
Sector: Chemisty
Leading: > 30 people
Budgetauthority: > 25k €
Average number of over-hours per week: > 15
Organisationsize: > 1000 employees

Result:
Average bruto month pay
6437 EUR

That's not even close to $ 500k per year and I doubt these people have any life at all to benefit from their money already. :/
Or do lawyers and stock brokers really earn that much more (like 5-10x as much as a top level manager in a huge chemistry company)?
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2007, 19:10   #26
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

That is really incredibly little for a top level manager of a huge chemistry company. At least seems to me as so. In a Finnish court case recently, a lawyer was charging almost 250 euros per hour. Make the math how much that counts for over a month (of course, the inevitable wages for other people, taxes, and such get cut off, but still, and, it's Finland...).
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2007, 00:02   #27
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They charge even more here
Unread 26 Oct 2007, 00:28   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Er, why?
Person1 : "Hey, would you like to go out for a drink? "
Person2 : "Sure."
Person1: "OK, cool."
<a little while later, in the pub>
Person1 : "Well...your round then."
Person2 : "Ok....how much are rounds, usually?"
Person1 : "About £40."
Person2 : "Oh. I've got eleven pence and a piece of string."
Person1 : "Ah...all your money tied up in shares?"
Person2 : "....I've got a housing benefit claim I'm hoping to come through next week if that counts."

And so on.

And while this wouldn't be problematic with two people who were good friends, if it was with someone you've just met it might be a little awkward. Speaking from my limited experience, hanging around with people who are significantly better/worse off than you _can_ be dull (again, if people don't know each other well).

Examples include walking home three miles because the person you're with is too much of a spastic to let you pay for a cab or conversely drinking glasses of water very slowly so as to avoid needing to buy another drink (which would mean not being able to pay for the meal).
Unread 26 Oct 2007, 00:30   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Person1 : "Hey, would you like to go out for a drink? "
Person2 : "Sure."
Person1: "OK, cool."
<a little while later, in the pub>
Person1 : "Well...your round then."
Person2 : "Ok....how much are rounds, usually?"
Person1 : "About £40."
Person2 : "Oh. I've got eleven pence and a piece of string."
Person1 : "Ah...all your money tied up in shares?"
Person2 : "....I've got a housing benefit claim I'm hoping to come through next week if that counts."

And so on.

And while this wouldn't be problematic with two people who were good friends, if it was with someone you've just met it might be a little awkward. Speaking from my limited experience, hanging around with people who are significantly better/worse off than you _can_ be dull (again, if people don't know each other well).

Examples include walking home three miles because the person you're with is too much of a spastic to let you pay for a cab or conversely drinking glasses of water very slowly so as to avoid needing to buy another drink (which would mean not being able to pay for the meal).
bourgeoise scum
Unread 26 Oct 2007, 00:45   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Well I entered several details on this belgian webpage we have, where you enter: level of degree, years of work experience, function level, function category, sector, overhours (extra worktime don't know correct english word :/), organisation size, etc.. And still the biggest pay I saw with 5 years of experience was €7k per month. Lawyer and stock exchange weren't on there, but I'd think the following should be pretty close to their pay?
I'm not sure you can make comparisons across industries like that without knowing the full details. Jobs like stock brokers or lawyers could have rewards which are heavily weighted towards bonuses and therefore can't be counted on.
Unread 26 Oct 2007, 19:58   #31
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's not even close to $ 500k per year and I doubt these people have any life at all to benefit from their money already. :/
Or do lawyers and stock brokers really earn that much more (like 5-10x as much as a top level manager in a huge chemistry company)?
Stock brokers are heavily bonus based but gone are the days of the glamorous brokerage houses. Most of the money in the financial world is heavily weighted on the side of the Traders in Investment Banks and Hedge Funds.

A trader with about 7-8 years experience in structured exotics markets in the UK can easily top £1.5m+

A trader in vanilla products at a bulge bracket firm with 7-8 years can make anything from £45-90k basic with upto £1m bonus+

A top hedge fund manager can make over £10m+ a year

Lawyers, Accountants and Consultants are very top heavy. Trainees, and professionals make a decent living (anything upto £150k+ a year with 5-10+ years experience) but most of the money is concentrated among the partners whos earnings at bigger firms can easily top £500k+

I can't speak for Lawyers or Consultants but Partners at big Accounting firms don't do very much. The vast majority of work is done beneath them, their requirements are basically to sign documents and most importantly to bring in the business (which apparently requires lots of tennis and golf). However this is the same in most industries. Once you reach the top your workload goes down significantly.

How much you charge/bill an hour doesn't really mean much as different industries have various levels write offs substantially reducing the bill rate per hour.

Last edited by Zar; 26 Oct 2007 at 20:04.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote