User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Mar 2007, 20:14   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
Top up fees and Tutiton fees (again)

Can somone please explain top up fees to me as im not making any sense of the various websites on the issue and my brain is just mush now.

I think i need to drink some more coffee.....

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2007, 20:15   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Top up fees and Tutiton fees (again)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-up_...fees_will_work

Quote:
The new top-up fees will operate as follows (figures are given for the academic year 2006-2007, and may rise by no more than the inflation rate until 2010):

Universities will be able to charge students anything from £0 up to a maximum of £3,000 per year. In order to charge more than a basic £1,250 fee universities must satisfy a new Office for Fair Access (OFFA) that their admissions policies are equitable. Nearly all universities have chosen to charge the full £3,000. All Scottish universities will charge £1,700 per year (£2,700 for medical courses), but only to non-Scottish students (see below).

Rather than pay the fees up front (as is the case now), they will be paid by the government-owned Student Loans Company (SLC), the same body that currently provides student loans. The SLC will also continue to pay means-tested student loans directly to students. Students will repay their loans and tuition fees after graduation in the same income-dependent way as at present. Interest on the loans will still be tied to inflation, so they have a zero 'real' rate of interest.

In addition to student loans, new means-tested grants will be available to students from lower-to-mid-income families, and universities will start to offer a range of bursaries for students. The Training and Development Agency for Schools will partially pay the fees of PGCE students.

Whether the new fees apply varies depending on where the student is from and where they go to university.
Unread 27 Mar 2007, 20:22   #3
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

Ya i saw that but from experiance i have known to take Wiki with a pinch of salt, but if its accurate then ok

So right now you pay it all up front, but as of the 2006-2007 academic year you pay after graduation. and have zero rate of interest unlike studant loans.

:Edit: who negrepped me! have pity on a student who is trying to finish his final essay and has not slept much!

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 00:14   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General8
and have zero rate of interest unlike studant loans.
no, re-read, its says that the interest will be tied to inflation, just like student loans is, so you will be charged
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 01:45   #5
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

The idea is no real increase as the value of the money is maintained. Not that I believe that inflation really effects the cost of goods in exact proportions though. That is a debateable idea though.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 10:07   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
The idea is no real increase as the value of the money is maintained. Not that I believe that inflation really effects the cost of goods in exact proportions though. That is a debateable idea though.
Well, even if RPI was a perfect representation of the cost of living (which it's not) there's no guarantee your individual income will keep apace with it anyway. For younger people it's less of an issue (because you'll tend to get a cost of living increase plus your own personal salary increase through promotions and such) but if you stayed in the same job for a long period (and you were at the top of your pay band) it's quite possible you'd fall behind RPI (given the cost cutting vogue at present).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2007, 00:11   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i work in local government and have been at the top of my pay scale for nearly 2 years so yes, i have fallen behind the RPI

to make things worse the govt. only want to give us 2% this year as well, bastards
Unread 29 Mar 2007, 01:09   #8
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

You would have no choice but to pay the inflated top up fee's now if you joined Uni in the coming years. A friend of mine decided, 2 years into his 6 year medical degree, that he didnt want to do it at the very end of last year. He changed his course and had the choice between the standard fee's that I currently pay (think its around £1250 for the year) or the new top-up fee's. but seeing as he came from the same public school as me his parents pay his tuition for him so it was an easy choice of the 1250 for the year that they pay leaving him not worrying about the 3grand a year. Basically your getting charged more and longer for what I, and other current students, currently get for less.
Unread 29 Mar 2007, 09:26   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
Basically your getting charged more and longer for what I, and other current students, currently get for less.
And in the olden days, you got grants (note: not loans) for going to university. You didn't have to pay for your tuition. Guess what - times change.