User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Dec 2003, 23:07   #1
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
planet tagging.....

just wondering how many allies would use alliances tags if the planets got made public.
Cos at the start of the round many new allies would emerge & ppl would try to work em out but even if ppl could still gain a alliance list surly this would put some fun back into the game knowing what alliance you are hitting.
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2003, 23:34   #2
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: planet tagging.....

At least it should be made public as the round ends - and impossible to leave or be kicked fro an ally the last 24 ticks or so
Unread 4 Dec 2003, 23:48   #3
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts

what i was thinking was have a tag system like r2...
where you can see who is who in a gal....
make it so first half of the round is you get 1 -h travel time for attacking...then second half of the round you get -1 h travel for def.
That means that security will b not as strong maybe cloak the list for the first half of the round.
what do the alliance hcs\pe0ns think bout this idea i am sure it could be quite a success
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 02:46   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's an interesting question actually.

My initial thought was "of course they'll tag up, they need the -1 eta defence". However, becoming compromised early in a round is painful for an alliance.

I'd imagine some alliances would split into a few smaller factions, with names completely unrelated to their alliance (so not everyone would be tagged Eclipse, for example, they'd be tagged something else).
These factions would be required to work together, and then later in the round when the alliance feels secure enough, they could merge all the planets into the one alliance.
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 10:32   #5
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by virogenesis
make it so first half of the round is you get 1 -h travel time for attacking...then second half of the round you get -1 h travel for def.
That's ofc total rubbish. How would you defend your members then?
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 11:50   #6
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts

Quote:
just wondering how many allies would use alliances tags if the planets got made public.
Not many. Alliance concealment is standard practice in this day and age.

If you want to know who you're hitting ask your alliance intel. dept.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 12:21   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames
Not many. Alliance concealment is standard practice in this day and age.

That -1 eta to alliance mates is quite important though (essential right now, with all ships basically being eta 7 when launched).
So where do you get the trade-off between security and defence-times ?
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 17:36   #8
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

i think most alliances knows wich coords are wich alliance by now....

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 17:42   #9
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
That -1 eta to alliance mates is quite important though (essential right now, with all ships basically being eta 7 when launched).
So where do you get the trade-off between security and defence-times ?
I think it would be difficult to justify only being able to send universe-wide alliance defence if you are openly tagged the same as the planet to which you wish to send defence to.

If the universe had some sort of geographic travel however, this could be a totally different story.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 17:42   #10
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
i think most alliances knows wich coords are wich alliance by now....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames
If you want to know who you're hitting ask your alliance intel. dept.

Unread 5 Dec 2003, 21:43   #11
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

i was talking bout next round....
I am sure it would be fun to see alot of new tags....because at the end of the day ppl will want lower eta...& alliances will create wings to get around this but then again ppl will work out who is who...we might even get battlegroups first part of the round...who knows.
I reckon mid ranged alliances would tag & i also think that this could open the gates for new allianes but then again i have very Idealistic views on society.
Unread 6 Dec 2003, 14:26   #12
*Cooper*

*Cooper* is an unknown quantity at this point

they mainly wont tag, because if people find out the pw for a tag they can discover the entire alliance and target them all surely?
*Cooper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2003, 19:39   #13
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

the tag would be public so it wouldn't even matter about worrying bout the security & this will stop some of the alliances playing so hardcore as groups will be needed to be made up for this to work as a old officer i feel this would work & speaking to alot of ppl on irc they believe it could be interesting think bout the fun factor this holds rather than the typical elitist pa player :P
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 13:03   #14
ruking

Guys please, the tags are important, my alliance has already tried to attack another frriendly alliance, all the traveltimes not so important but we do severely need alliance tags that are very obvious in r11.
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 13:30   #15
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
the tag would be public so it wouldn't even matter about worrying bout the security & this will stop some of the alliances playing so hardcore as groups will be needed to be made up for this to work as a old officer i feel this would work & speaking to alot of ppl on irc they believe it could be interesting think bout the fun factor this holds rather than the typical elitist pa player :P
Ffs where did you learn to write? Ever heared of interpunction?

Fact 1) NOTHING can stop alliances from playing hardcore, except the dead of PA, and then they probably find another game.
Fact 2) Giving away your coords by public tags will in no way be fun for smaller alliances. If the bigger and medium alliances see "that planet is allaince XY, they are n00b/small" they think "free roids!!!" and launch rightaway. This is a wargame, not some fairplay contest.
Fact 3) What fun? Whats so funny about public tags? If you want to let people know who you are and what alliance you are in, scream in on IRC and post it in your siganture...
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though

Last edited by General Martok; 11 Apr 2004 at 13:36.
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 13:58   #16
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
Ffs where did you learn to write? Ever heared of interpunction?

Fact 1) NOTHING can stop alliances from playing hardcore, except the dead of PA, and then they probably find another game.
Fact 2) Giving away your coords by public tags will in no way be fun for smaller alliances. If the bigger and medium alliances see "that planet is allaince XY, they are n00b/small" they think "free roids!!!" and launch rightaway. This is a wargame, not some fairplay contest.
Fact 3) What fun? Whats so funny about public tags? If you want to let people know who you are and what alliance you are in, scream in on IRC and post it in your siganture...
Hmm, i dont think having a go at his grammar/punctuation is very good, seeing as not everyone can be the perfect writer etc.

I agree fully with your other points though......
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 15:46   #17
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
Hmm, i dont think having a go at his grammar/punctuation is very good, seeing as not everyone can be the perfect writer etc.
True. Nevertheless, forming sentences instead of a crapload of words behind eachother, leaving it to the reader to figure out where the one thing ends and the other begins, is just a matter of a small effort. Doesn't take a perfect writer.
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 17:03   #18
TheACE
Heroes For Life

TheACE can only hope to improve

Quote:
what i was thinking was have a tag system like r2...
where you can see who is who in a gal....
That means that security will b not as strong maybe cloak the list for the first half of the round.
what do the alliance hcs\pe0ns think bout this idea i am sure it could be quite a success
how will u then send def???? If u cant give def, the game is ruind. There must be a way to give def (at least for 1 hour like now)

R 4 n00bie [ACID]
R 5 [+] Crusader / [BD] Member - [DUH] Triad with [HR] & [UV]
R 6 [BD] Member - [HyB] Alliance with [HR] / [Pack] Wolves - [FoS] Fusion of Seven
R 7 [WP] Member/Officer - [NewX] Alliances of [NoS], [Ely] and [Xan]
R 8 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9,5[WP] Officer
R 10 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 10,5 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 11 [1up] pe0n -> QUIT, back to RL
[Ð] Together we stand, Devided we Fall
TheACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 23:22   #19
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of tagging. Doesn't need to be that hard to implement in the current alliance system. As the eta system will be different and there might not be an alliance eta -1, it's hard to say how alliances will respond though.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 11:49   #20
Copie
[Tired]

Copie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'de prefer a high level scan that reveils alliance info.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 14:00   #21
TheACE
Heroes For Life

TheACE can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
I'de prefer a high level scan that reveils alliance info.
That would be a good idea

R 4 n00bie [ACID]
R 5 [+] Crusader / [BD] Member - [DUH] Triad with [HR] & [UV]
R 6 [BD] Member - [HyB] Alliance with [HR] / [Pack] Wolves - [FoS] Fusion of Seven
R 7 [WP] Member/Officer - [NewX] Alliances of [NoS], [Ely] and [Xan]
R 8 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9 [WP] Officer - Alliance with [Ely]
R 9,5[WP] Officer
R 10 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 10,5 [WP] Officer / [Heroes] HC
R 11 [1up] pe0n -> QUIT, back to RL
[Ð] Together we stand, Devided we Fall
TheACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 16:19   #22
Mouse

The idea of having a scan for seening alliance would be great.
This would howerver make any atempt at hiding your tag, for the bigger aliances, totaly impossible since any aliance that has intrest of knowing who are in which aliance will most likely have a scan planet that can have all the scans within a matter of days after protection time is over.
This doesn't have to be a bad thing though as it will make it "harder" for the big aliances but will hardly effect the small planets. Exept for if people start scaning the small guys before bashing them, which would be the epitemy of covardiance.
Unread 13 Apr 2004, 11:30   #23
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Any in-game means of detecting what alliance a planet is, is a bad thing - at least while the only feasible out-of-galaxy defence is from your alliance. Forget, for a second, the impact it would have on alliances and consider the efect it would have on planets which are alliance-less: no tag would be an immediate guarantee to attackers of no out of galaxy defence.

For similar reasons, tomkat's theory about alliances splitting into wings to get around tagging is totally naive. Barring PA-crew intervention (hello HR/LCH) merging those wings would mean planets going allianceless for 72 ticks. Does anyone seriously believe that good-sized targets whose alliance tag vanished would get left alone for those 72 ticks allianceless? Were I running an alliance I'd be running regular checks for any good targets whose alliance tag had been taken down. And does anyone think an alliance of any note could split into two wings without their identities being known? All you'd be doing is splitting your defence pool into two halves - with the added "benefit" of one of those halves going 72 ticks defenceless at some stage later in the round while you merged them.

I could see the attraction of having tags that were visible to only members of the same alliance - that might assist alliances who don't have good sets of tools themselves. And it would only give away information already available - one spy can sit there prelaunching defence at planets and seeing which show up as ETA 7 and hence are in their alliance.

Of course i'm in no way intending to imply that alliance-less players stand any chance anyway. When PAX introduced the principle that if you aren't in an alliance noone outside your galaxy can defend you any last vestige of hope vanished for the alliance-less. Random galaxies (of paid planets only - noone wants freebie spy planets giving out their galaxy status) and the return of cluster and/or parallel travel time would redress the balance slightly - at least for those players who joined at the beginning of a round. Players who join mid-round are always going to be shat on - but that's not, of itself, a bad thing.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 17:09   #24
alstaxis
Shroom Master

alstaxis will become famous soon enoughalstaxis will become famous soon enough

taggings cool
being able to know the alliance you will be attacking would be good.
Then the alliance ranks would change more often with allies wanting to be #1.
work out easier

If img was allowed I pwn you all
alstaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 17:22   #25
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstaxis
taggings cool
being able to know the alliance you will be attacking would be good.
Then the alliance ranks would change more often with allies wanting to be #1.
work out easier
Would make no odds if, as seems to be the case this round, only one alliance wants to be #1.
And in any event, the big alliances all know where the members of other big alliances are by now.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 23:03   #26
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
Any in-game means of detecting what alliance a planet is, is a bad thing - at least while the only feasible out-of-galaxy defence is from your alliance. Forget, for a second, the impact it would have on alliances and consider the efect it would have on planets which are alliance-less: no tag would be an immediate guarantee to attackers of no out of galaxy defence.

For similar reasons, tomkat's theory about alliances splitting into wings to get around tagging is totally naive. Barring PA-crew intervention (hello HR/LCH) merging those wings would mean planets going allianceless for 72 ticks. Does anyone seriously believe that good-sized targets whose alliance tag vanished would get left alone for those 72 ticks allianceless? Were I running an alliance I'd be running regular checks for any good targets whose alliance tag had been taken down. And does anyone think an alliance of any note could split into two wings without their identities being known? All you'd be doing is splitting your defence pool into two halves - with the added "benefit" of one of those halves going 72 ticks defenceless at some stage later in the round while you merged them.

I could see the attraction of having tags that were visible to only members of the same alliance - that might assist alliances who don't have good sets of tools themselves. And it would only give away information already available - one spy can sit there prelaunching defence at planets and seeing which show up as ETA 7 and hence are in their alliance.

Of course i'm in no way intending to imply that alliance-less players stand any chance anyway. When PAX introduced the principle that if you aren't in an alliance noone outside your galaxy can defend you any last vestige of hope vanished for the alliance-less. Random galaxies (of paid planets only - noone wants freebie spy planets giving out their galaxy status) and the return of cluster and/or parallel travel time would redress the balance slightly - at least for those players who joined at the beginning of a round. Players who join mid-round are always going to be shat on - but that's not, of itself, a bad thing.

Its at times like these when I Wished you were a millionaire with nothing more to do than to waste your money buying a game like PA and running it yourself with a gamers perspective...you normally always do and did make sense ..however I f I was to win the lottery myself Id say stuff you all im off to the carribean

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote