User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Aug 2004, 19:41   #51
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future
Re: Vacation Mode - Whats the point?

ehh, going into vac mode as a "valid tactic" is abusing the feature....
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 20:54   #52
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't recall any event where vacation mode decided politics.

Anyway, what do you hope happens Axis?

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 23:06   #53
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point

What I WOULD like was a big ole block war or a bigger fight than what goes on. I DONT like peeps going into vacation mode and I WOULD hope they would put up a better fight. My only say was that it was within legal limits.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 23:17   #54
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought the reason and point behind vacation mode was to use it when you went on vacation. Did the owner of the thread miss that obvious point?
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 03:17   #55
Precursors

Precursors is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch
Any action in game intended to let one account gain score at
the direct cost of another with the main intend being the score
gain for the one account. Any such action will be regarded as a
breach of this agreement, and is punishable by various
punitive measures(2).

now you read what you quoted again and "wirk" this around
it says people not going into vacation mode are violating the game rules, by letting one account gain score at the direct cost of own account
do you even play this game? people with 5000 roids attacking people with 300 roids still, and you expect people to "fight like men"
some people play to have fun, pay to have fun
this forum is so full of children
Precursors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 08:39   #56
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precursors
it says people not going into vacation mode are violating the game rules, by letting one account gain score at the direct cost of own account
do you even play this game? people with 5000 roids attacking people with 300 roids still, and you expect people to "fight like men"
i am sure you meant to write "work" and not "wirk"

But i am not so sure if you understood the propoer meaning of the small bit of the EULA I pasted, What i pasted is one of the aspect of cheating, Abusing a feature in a game to gain score directly over other planets is forbiden, point.
Now you can always debate what is abusing a feature, and is the vacation mode abuse a real gain of score on other planet? my point WAS and his valid only in one case, like focht did highlighted, When a whole block or a group linked together tactically in the game is organizing themselves to go into vacation mode in order to remove themselves from the food chain Then i claim that this is abusing a game feature who was intended to be used for other and proper use, and basically by the real means of the EULA, its not forbiden explicitaly in this EULA bit, but if you work this around, the planet doest gain directly score over the planet in front of him, but dont loose score and push the other planet to loose the score over him.
For me gaining score at direct cost of a planet or pushing a planet to loose score at direct cost of you loosing nothing is the SAME, this should be added into the EULA to prove coward who use the vacation mode in order to save their roids.

When it will be used by few individual, i will call them on mirc and on Forums, Cowards, if they will be in my alliance i am leading, i will kick them and roids them the last 3 days.
When it will be used by a group tactically linked ( an alliance, a BG, a galaxy, a block) I will gather the information and send it to Multihunters and claim for Feature abuse of the game.
*of course this will be done only if there is some proof that the guy is not going into vacation for valid reason (in the case of the individiual, this can be traced easily and if he is in your alliance, i am sure you can know if he is really in vacation, in the case of the group going into vacation, what the chance that 30-40 people from the same group are going into vacation? HC paid for a trip to disney world? if you were HC, would you allow your whole alliance to go into vacation mode? c'mon)

Now precursors, read carefully my post and again, think about what you posted, if you do not approve with what i wrote? i do respect the fact you do not have the same opinion on the matter, but what i do not respect is your reply to my post claiming we are children, if you want to post troll posts, go to another forum, if you do not have anything wise to post, dont post, if you dont agree with someone, post it, highlight the points you think are unright and base your information on some real material.

And for your own reference, i do play (not actively) and i do have a clue about the game, more than you should think.

thanks you.
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 08:54   #57
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precursors
Noone with 5k roids is attacking anyone with 300 roids. Noone with 2k roids would be attacking anyone with 300 roids :/
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 12:58   #58
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Noone with 5k roids is attacking anyone with 300 roids. Noone with 2k roids would be attacking anyone with 300 roids :/
nobody with 300 roids would be attacking anyone with 300 roids :|
BoredOfThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 15:19   #59
Sinn

Sinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankly i think every action that gets in the way of me getting roids is rude. Vacation mode, defence from alliance, defence from the gal, retal launches...how dare they!

The cumstain on the sheets of humanity
Sinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 09:48   #60
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Somewhat related to this topic I wonder:

An ex member of us decided to resign, while the HC discussed we should kick him or give him a warning (the reasons don't matter). anyways, he left the alliance and went into vacationmode at once. Can he join another alliance as soon as he comes out of vacationmode or is that 72 tick countdown also halted? Probably not I assume?
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 10:31   #61
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not take him.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 10:47   #62
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

I hope noone takes him, but I doubt that. I just wonder whether he can sit out his 72 ticks allianceness state in vacationmode or not....

-----
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 10:50   #63
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

they can sit out the time in vacation mode

we are thinking about ways to make vacation mode less abusable but still useful for thoose who actually go on vacation, advice will be appreciated

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 11:02   #64
General Martok
used to register

My advice is to stop the 72 tick countdown after leaving an alliance when in vacationmode, clearly

-----
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 13:45   #65
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Also add an option to vacationmode - 72 hours was just far too long for me :/

I went away friday night and came back sunday morning but had to wait until monday night until I could get back into my account. This was justa bit poo tbh and I know I was depriving Mistu/LCH of lanching on my planet

And definately stop the ticker for the alliance bits as well as the resources when it comes to vacation mode. The aco**** should be in a state of total suspended animation whereby when one logs back in it should be in an identical state to when you activated vacation mode. This includes outgoing fleets.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 13:57   #66
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
My advice is to stop the 72 tick countdown after leaving an alliance when in vacationmode, clearly
The other solution is to make the minimum vacation mode length much greater than the time it takes to change alliances so that people would be more willing to take a risk.

Maybe vacation mode should work in such a way as you set the length of your vacation in advance with a maximum and miniumu length. The minimum would be for example 4 days and the maximum 2 weeks. And maybe only allow vacation mode twice per round.

Also lower the time to change alliancesa bit - an alliance can easily kill a quiter in less than 72 hours if it wants to.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:11   #67
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar

And definately stop the ticker for the alliance bits as well as the resources when it comes to vacation mode. The aco**** should be in a state of total suspended animation whereby when one logs back in it should be in an identical state to when you activated vacation mode. This includes outgoing fleets.
Freeze outgoing fleets?

Bad idea mate.

You will find ppl setting a launch on someone, letting it tick down to eta 4, and going into vacation mode. Then youu just need to wait till you can come out, and there will be no def
If u hit big targets, on mass, u can fleet catch lots and take enough free roids to get thru the vac mode period.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:23   #68
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Freeze outgoing fleets?

Bad idea mate.

You will find ppl setting a launch on someone, letting it tick down to eta 4, and going into vacation mode. Then youu just need to wait till you can come out, and there will be no def
If u hit big targets, on mass, u can fleet catch lots and take enough free roids to get thru the vac mode period.
Then upon setting vacation mode all fleets are returned to base straight away.

I'm thinking particularly about the crew who are currently coming out of vacation, sending out all thier fleet on defence then going back into vacation having stopped 3 more attacks from landing whilst still hiding behind vacation mode to stop themselves getting incoming.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:32   #69
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:

I'm thinking particularly about the crew who are currently coming out of vacation, sending out all thier fleet on defence then going back into vacation having stopped 3 more attacks from landing whilst still hiding behind vacation mode to stop themselves getting incoming.
forum pm me their coords please i''d like to take a look at their accounts.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Aug 2004, 15:58   #70
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

Quote:

Yer.... I was expecting some nice salvage from that. How come no br
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 17:02   #71
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

to be honest i always thought vacation mode stopped everything in your account... but i just found out this round you can still have your fleets moving then and your planet ticks on:/ yet you're totally save... kinda weird tbh.. i assume that sorta stuff will be changed?:/
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 17:14   #72
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback
You guys went into vacation mode to be lame and to force a split
sounds suspiciously like a defence of blocking... i thought you were against that kind of thing?

-mist
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 19:09   #73
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
sounds suspiciously like a defence of blocking... i thought you were against that kind of thing?

-mist
He's talking about r9. Back then one assumes focht supported blocking (at least tacitly) as he was involved in a big **** off block.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 21:53   #74
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
He's talking about r9. Back then one assumes focht supported blocking (at least tacitly) as he was involved in a big **** off block.
Youre right and i was simply stating their intentions.
Whatever politics were made should not be influenced by game mechanics in such an abuseable way.

As a comparison, in football you dont decide to stay in the cabin in halftime when the enemy makes alot of pressure, unless he decides to exchange his excellent strikers.

On the otherhand this round vacationmongers cant "split" anyone, their whole purpose is to be lame and to bore their opposition.
What would be wrong to simply lose ? I mean apparently they got beaten, so they should take the beating and look forward to next round.
Atleast thats my view on things, and the way ive played along in the past, through good and bad rounds.
If we are honest the lost rounds were probably more fun then the clean wins, i personally enjoyed r6 more than r7 and r4 more then round r5 (eventho i did brilliant so you cant say my view is deluded by rankings)..
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 08:00   #75
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshih
Yer.... I was expecting some nice salvage from that. How come no br
Yes, coming out of vacation mode, sending huge fake attacks (not that we knew this til it ticked and there was no BR) and then heading straight back into vacation mode just to suck up copious amounts of 1up def is a bit poor tbh.

Quote:
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 12:26   #76
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:

As it used to be?

Whose clever idea was it to change it?
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 14:53   #77
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

(Yay, first post)

To me using vacation mode as a game strategy clearly is in conflict with the spirit of the game. I have used vacation mode myself this round as I was on holiday for 4-5 days without internet access.

Some things would help. Like making it a longer period of time (5 days?), make it possible to just use it once every 3rd/4th week and having all fleets recalled. You could set a max time period on it too, but that might really ruin it for people going away for like 2-3 weeks (now you might wonder why they even bother playing if they're away for so long anyway...).
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 14:57   #78
Forest

Why not extend it each time you go into vac mode.

For instance:
1st time in vacation mode = 3 days
2nd time in vcation mode = 6 days
3rd time in vacation mode = 12 days
4th time in vacation mode = 24 days

Would soon make it unprofitable to go into vac mode at all.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 15:03   #79
Treveler

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

I think an idea could be to pre set the vac mode about 3 days before it should start. At that time you also have to give a time for your return. Most ppl know when they have to go away and when they return. This way you`re planet will be in "normal" mode for 3 days in between vac mode for those who abuse the feature. More then enough time for us to kill them!
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 15:12   #80
Forest

Treveler thats a good idea also
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 15:24   #81
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Maybe vacation mode should work in such a way as you set the length of your vacation in advance with a maximum and miniumu length. The minimum would be for example 4 days and the maximum 2 weeks. And maybe only allow vacation mode twice per round.

add in having to give notice before hand as well and i think its something fairly un abusable

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 10 Aug 2004, 15:26   #82
Forest

Which means pateam will prob decide not to use it, and instead focus on something that would allow wiiners to cheat.

Unread 10 Aug 2004, 16:18   #83
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Well, unforeseen things does happen quite often. So if you suddenly realise you cant be online for the next days (sickness in family, work related, surprise holiday, you name it) you cant use the future for what it was intended for. So i'd prefer not having it done like that, as it will give major consequences to innocent people as well.
Unread 11 Aug 2004, 15:53   #84
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

I don't think most ppl are using the vac mode to abuse it or gain much from it.
most ppl that go into vac mode (those that isn't on vaction I mean) are often ppl that have given up this round. and don't want their ally to loose the score they have gained. If all of 1up went into vac now. they would prob be ensured a victory. as I hardly think anybody would be able to gain enough score to retake them. without hitting them and getting their score down. (especialy when there will be no 1up planets to attack)
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 11:07   #85
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

Comming from the man whos gal mates came out of vacation mode for a few mins to send their whole fleets at me (fake attack). Then going straight back into vacation mode. No not abuse at all . Its total abuse, and a lot of the vacation mode people have been doing it.

Even without the abuse it depends on the situation they go into vacation mode in. I dont like to see people escaping heavy incomming by going into vacation mode, when they havent even lost much, they didnt even try to fight.

"The only easy day was yesterday."

Last edited by Zo0f; 12 Aug 2004 at 11:13.
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 12:13   #86
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

well. this problem could be solved easy by limiting vac mode to once each week, 2 weeks or month.
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 12:58   #87
Henck
Howling Rain

Henck is on a distinguished road

and you can't get into vacation mode when fleets are launched....
would be easyer
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 13:09   #88
Treveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
I don't think most ppl are using the vac mode to abuse it or gain much from it.
most ppl that go into vac mode (those that isn't on vaction I mean) are often ppl that have given up this round. and don't want their ally to loose the score they have gained.
Yes, but isnt that abusing the feature?
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 15:11   #89
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henck
and you can't get into vacation mode when fleets are launched....
would be easyer
As I recall it used to be like that, as people (in r3) were having their fleets launched (at huge planets) and accounts put into vacmode.
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 15:23   #90
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
As I recall it used to be like that, as people (in r3) were having their fleets launched (at huge planets) and accounts put into vacmode.
It was meant to be like that this round - where you couldn't go into vac mode with an attack fleet out. Unfortunately, when coded, it appears that prelaunched fleets weren't taken into consideration. So people can prelaunch attacks then go into vac mode.

Simplest solution is just to block going into vac mode when you have any fleets prelaunched, or any fleets heading towards another planet (whether on defence or on attack).

Hiding in vacation mode to save score for your alliance (as someone posited earlier on) is very pointless. Everyone will be taken out of vac mode near end of round (if the past is any indication) - and then the ones who were hiding will lose their roids anyway, while missing out on all the income in the meantime.
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 16:01   #91
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the only thing that shouldn't be frozen in vac mode is resources. You shouldn't be punished (if it is a legit vacation) for going on vacation by losing resources you would have had. Now I understand that people think it can be abused and it is for the most part. Killing all fleet lauches/defs if you go into vacation mode is fine just don't punish the actual people by freezing the account completely.
Unread 12 Aug 2004, 16:58   #92
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

o_0

If you got resources while beeing in vacation mode yuo could just stay there for a while after a nice roiding, get out and build a massive fleet for the resources... it would really lead to a lot af abusing.

The vacation mode is just an offer to people who will be away to not have their fleet crushed and roids lost, surely shouldnt earn on it.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 13:06   #93
inspi
Snuggly Bunny

inspi is an unknown quantity at this point

Because people like going on holidays, leaving you nerds alone in this game w/o having targets?

inspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:17   #94
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

this thread ammuses me somewhat.

there are obviously two sides, those who're winning and those who arn't. those who arn't are probably quite bored, as they can't really get anywhere 'cus of those who're winning. therefore, they decide to bore thoes who're winning in the hopes that the game will change and they can have fun again

therefore, this rather seems like those who're causing the game to be boring complaining that people are returning the favour

-mist
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 14:48   #95
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

think you hit the nail on the head, tho both sides has their perspective. Some ppl, me included, just want to annoy those i cant catch up on. Tho i'm not in vacationmode, have to get a bit fatter first

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:00   #96
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
this thread ammuses me somewhat.
Your post has only added to the amusement value :\

Quote:
there are obviously two sides, those who're winning and those who arn't
Well done! Did you figure that out by yourself, or did you have help? Someone is winning, therefore someone else has to be losing. That is the nature of all competitions.

I disagree about there being "two sides" though; alliances like ND and HR seem to be having their own wars with little regard for what anyone else is doing. The alliances outside of the top 10 are almost in a seperate universe in political terms.

Quote:
those who arn't are probably quite bored, as they can't really get anywhere 'cus of those who're winning.
Not really. I suspect you don't actually play the game, or haven't played actively in any of the last few rounds. If you did, you might have more of a clue about what is going on atm.

1up are winning, but there are still plenty of non-1up in the top 100 (more than half of the t100 is non-1up). Unless you count top 100 as not getting anywhere, then you are quite simply wrong. Yeah, it might not be possible for non-1up members to get to #1 or anything like that, but there are still opportunities for non-1up members.

1up members can still lose roids (I lost about 700 today, probably my own fault for tempting fate), so it's not like attacking is completely impossible for non-1up. Going into vac mode has only made their own chances worse, rather than better. LCH, Vision etc. still have top 100 planets to protect, and anyone going into vac mode is just abandoning their fellow alliance-members, making life easier for 1up and further reducing the competition in the game.

Quote:
therefore, they decide to bore thoes who're winning in the hopes that the game will change and they can have fun again
What, they're going into vac mode until 1up give them their roids back or something? In rounds with blocks that might have made sense - mass vac-mode by the losing block sometimes did cause tensions in the winning block. But that doesn't apply this round, as there's no winning block to split up.

Quote:
therefore, this rather seems like those who're causing the game to be boring complaining that people are returning the favour

-mist
Who is causing the game to be boring? This round has been played in a better spirit than most I can remember, and as I pointed out earlier there are plenty of non-1up people who have plenty left to play for. The people going into vac mode are (in my estimation) probably the kind of people who give up once they realise they aren't going to finish top 10. Going into vac mode might deprive 1up of a few targets, but it deprives their own alliance of a large defence fleet, one that might save a few more of their top planets.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 12:32   #97
Yaroslav
Whooopaa!

Yaroslav can only hope to improve

Some rounds ago (in the newx times) all my gal went into vacation mode for three days (but for one guy). We weren't going out for holidays, we just wanted a bit of rest for three days (incoming everynight burns your moral out), to get back with a better spirit. Maybe we let our alliances down, I don't know, we just needed it.