User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Sep 2003, 23:16   #1
Patriot

Cathaar ? doomed ?

Okey, i didnt do my research good enuff, now im stuck with cathaar. Whats good with em ? what ships to use to roid ? to defend, fast ships ?

im in deep****
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 23:28   #2
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cathaar ? doomed ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Patriot
Okey, i didnt do my research good enuff, now im stuck with cathaar. Whats good with em ? what ships to use to roid ? to defend, fast ships ?

im in deep****
im cathaar too, and i feel that i made the wright choise=)
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 23:37   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
when played right any race can do fine

have played cathaar in beta and eventhough they don't kill that much in battle they are a fine race to play with =) But i am not sure on advise as i haven't been testing them that well

all i can say is you will need its CR & BS, and to some extent the FR (Fi targetting advocates, paladins can be ok aswell but imho stalwarts are better)
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 00:00   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Go for the big ships. Get good eta. Get your scans. You can do it all and need it all as a cath. You're not doomed beforehand, but life is difficult if you play a normal style game as cath. I was cath in all beta's I played. It's playable, but not easy. Don't go cath unless you're a scanplanet or like S&M.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 10:20   #5
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Go for the big ships. Get good eta. Get your scans. You can do it all and need it all as a cath. You're not doomed beforehand, but life is difficult if you play a normal style game as cath. I was cath in all beta's I played. It's playable, but not easy. Don't go cath unless you're a scanplanet or like S&M.
dont got time for scans.. whats S&M??
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:57   #6
triker
Dr Fanaticus' guinea pig

triker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sadism & Mazochism, in other words dont go Cath unless you like being tortured :P
triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 14:21   #7
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Don't go cath unless you're a scanplanet or like S&M.
this is not entirely true =), if you know how to play them its not a problem. Each race has its strengths and weaknesses, but i consider the cathaar CR fleet being fine to achieve a decent ranking
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 19:49   #8
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, their FR/CR fleet can cover all classes of ships, i would go for an FR/CR fleet personally! :P
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:48   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithess
Well, their FR/CR fleet can cover all classes of ships, i would go for an FR/CR fleet personally! :P
I have to agree there - i'm a Cathaar myself (heh), and i intend on using Templars as the main part of my fleet. I think of them as Tarantulas actually - designed to minimise your losses.

I prefer using Paladins over Stalwarts as i already have a FR class in the form of Advocates - so why add another class (battleships) to target CR less efficiently? [edit: having looked at the stats again, i see that Stalwarts are listed as 'Decent' and Paladins are listed as 'Average', which i foolishly confused. Thus Paladins kill less. However, in another thread, it has been discussed that damage may not be as important as the number of shots fired at a class to disturb them. As i have been using my planet for the sake of strategy, i'll try out the paladins whilst everyone else can use the Stalwarts and roid with BA ] Also, Paladins also do quite well against structures, which i may or may not be able to (ab)use later.

iirc, the first post mentioned something about fast ships - remember that in R10 all ships have the same ETA (once all ETA technology is done) and thus it doesnt matter if you have a fleet of fighters or battleships.

In terms of resource allocation for a Cathaar fleet, i'm not all that sure tbh. I am a big believer in the saying 'a balanced fleet has some capability in all areas, but is good in none' - and thus i really enjoy throwing 50% of my resources at a single shiptype. so, i'd go for 50% Templars, 25% Advocates, 20% Paladins and 5% Champions - more Champions may be built as the limits to structural damage become clearer, besides, Paladins do almost as well regardless.

With said fleet, i'd need defence against every class () but i'd say that FR would be sufficiently disturbed to be a bit of a waste of time.

My fleet has the obvious advatage of being really hard to kill - particulary the CR

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 16 Sep 2003 at 22:39.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 22:31   #10
Nordic

maybe a bit out of focus here, but i need to know if ships make any defence when they are in base, or do i have to send them in fleets? peace out
Unread 2 Apr 2004, 08:06   #11
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

A bit????????????? Why the hell bump a half year old thread :/

Base fleet fights along of course, never been any difference, except in PAX it was fighting with mixed/mixed, but that doesn't exist anymore. So base fleet is just as efficient as the other fleetslots in defending your own planet.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2004, 21:51   #12
DrNick152

DrNick152 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you didn't choose Terran, they get torn apart by other races without even firing a shot. I scrapped my Terran account after 200 ticks cause even wioth the large ships it didn't have a chance, either had all ships destoryed, EMP'd, Subverted or all 3.

IMHO heres the fleet skills:

(Best) Zik (Fire first, cheap, well armoured and armed, not really any penalities in construct, research or production.

Cat - Not bad, the average mint

Xa, Good ships, massive damage, pap armour, very slow research

(Worst) Ter - complete rubbish, no net gains, no special abilities, pants Inititive, get torn apart by another races fleet half the size.
DrNick152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2004, 23:42   #13
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick152
At least you didn't choose Terran, they get torn apart by other races without even firing a shot. I scrapped my Terran account after 200 ticks cause even wioth the large ships it didn't have a chance, either had all ships destoryed, EMP'd, Subverted or all 3.

IMHO heres the fleet skills:

(Best) Zik (Fire first, cheap, well armoured and armed, not really any penalities in construct, research or production.

Cat - Not bad, the average mint

Xa, Good ships, massive damage, pap armour, very slow research

(Worst) Ter - complete rubbish, no net gains, no special abilities, pants Inititive, get torn apart by another races fleet half the size.
LOL, clearly you built the wrong ships as Terran, as im doing pretty well with them heh, my Pure FR is 0wning atm, and "pants init"? medusa has lowest init bar subverters...go figure...
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote