User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:17   #1
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone work at a Game Store?

Do you cnuts like get a bonus for getting people to reserve games or something? I mean, its obvious the company loves it cause they stick your 5 bucks or so into an escrow and make Interest off of it but why do the employees seem to shove it down your throught.

I was in Gamestop on Friday and the guy was like "Hey, you want to reserve a copy of HL2"

Me "No, maybe when it has a solid release date"

Store Dude "But it does, its coming out April 16th"

Me "No, it doesn't. Trust me I would know"

Store Dude "Yes it does" In the whiney I said so 5 year old voice coming from a guy that is pressing 19

Me "Ok, why does your site have diffrent release dates for diffrent HL2 packages, like the one with BS packaged in is coming out sooner then plain HL2 and Wal-Mart, Amazon, and EBworld also beg to differ on their release date postings"

Dude gives no reponse and tells me total

I just didn't have the heart to say I am getting it from Steampowered.com, naner naner. I should have, maybe it would have saved the argument.

Now confess game store employees, do you get a bonus?
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:21   #2
Intrepid00

Re: Anyone work at a Game Store?

Steam has Chess and Go though:/
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:23   #3
Intrepid00

Yes
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:24   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You'll probably need a Half Life CD key, but aside from that, yeah.

Steam is still terrible though.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:25   #5
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri

No, its 100% free.

Also, steam is getting better. Though it does still have some issues. Just wait till WON comes down. Then you know Steam is working fine if your worried still.
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:27   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use Steam, that's how I know it's terrible.

(Although not for a month or so. Does it still try to contact the server every time it does everything, which makes things really slow because they use the same one for uploading the files, instead of using proper client side stuff?)
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:30   #7
Intrepid00

The steam client bothers the the content servers less often now and they have been working on optimizing it. The also added delay was actually the security module which is why they now tell you its being downloaded and loaded.

Its been working great for the last month now though. They fixed the D3D error and the crash on exit of steam. (Except ME users are still complaining, but if your using ME you sort of deserve it )
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:35   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I like the way it loads on PC startup, even if you have no intention of playing anything.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:46   #9
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
I like the way it loads on PC startup, even if you have no intention of playing anything.
Then turn it off in settings.
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:47   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Steaming pile of ?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:49   #11
Intrepid00

Back on subject, do they get bonus dollars or not for shoving shuch offersings down our throats?
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 21:50   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I believe Zhil works in a Game.
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 22:30   #13
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

a friend of mine works at a game store...and he gets nothing for 'shoving shuch offerings down our throats'
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 22:33   #14
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
a friend of mine works at a game store...and he gets nothing for 'shoving shuch offerings down our throats'
Then why do it? I don't want 'because its his job crap'. I mean its fine to ask, but why push it like a used car salesman.
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 22:36   #15
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I believe Zhil works in a Game.
don't believe, know

he does work in a Game Store.

I'll page him to this thread if he's arround.
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 23:16   #16
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

like the one i got with my new radeon
Unread 14 Dec 2003, 23:41   #17
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Then why do it? I don't want 'because its his job crap'. I mean its fine to ask, but why push it like a used car salesman.
he doesn't...he just asks once
Unread 15 Dec 2003, 00:19   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Because it's in the company's best interest to get people to buy games at Game, surely.
Unread 15 Dec 2003, 00:34   #19
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You could have just said no and left it at that, serves you right for being a twat.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2003, 01:02   #20
Intrepid00

I did, I said no thank you like 2 times before the converstaion got started. Once when I was walking in and then when I got up to the counter and he asked are you sure and the converstaion started.
Unread 15 Dec 2003, 01:09   #21
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Certain stores have someone go around each place and buy something just to see if the person is doing their job properly, including suggesting pre-orders. The most they probably get is a free t-shirt or something, and that's only if they happen to be working that day. Not all companies may do this though. Any real reason for doing it is probably because their boss would keep badgering them about it if they don't.
Unread 15 Dec 2003, 12:59   #22
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Anyone work at a Game Store?

Release dates are drawn up by Satan for purposes of personal amusement.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote