User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 May 2005, 00:53   #1
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
This ISP..

UK Online

Are they any good? Is anyone with them? Good/bad experience?

I'm thinking of getting 2mb (since I can afford it now) and it seems difficult to get hold of Tiscali serivces (I'm on a measely 256k and I want to cancel it!).

P.S. £20... Can anyone see if there's a catch (apart from the connection fee)?
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 01:04   #2
ph8
Banned

ph8 is on a distinguished road
Re: This ISP..

I use pipex, 23 pounds / mo for a 1Mbit - quality - no problems
ph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 01:34   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I was on them. They're ace.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 12:20   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Pipex are very good.

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk and http://www.net4nowt.co.uk/ for reviews and comparisons
Unread 8 May 2005, 15:35   #5
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Do Pipex have data transfer limitations? I've had a quick look over their site and couldn't find an answer either way.

I've happliy been with BT Openworld ADSL for the last 3 years but in the next couple of months they're going to start enforcing their 30GB / Month limit (That includes up and down traffic). Once you go over 30GB your connection will be throttled to 150Kbit, or you can buy extra units at £1.99 per GB! Yeah right, that'll happen!
So basically after 3 years of loyal custom BT are sticking two fingers up at me and telling me that they no longer want my business, for the second time (they cancelled my anytime dialup account 5 years ago for going over the poxy 1GB a month limit (yes, I should have learned my BT lesson the first time )), so again I'll need a new ISP.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 16:00   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Heh, I feel your pain. When I reacquired my broadband last month, (2mb adsl, BT) they were nice enough to not include the important bit of info of the 1gb bandwidth limit....which I assumed at the time was limitless, but by the point I found out about the limit, I had already dl-ed and ul-ed over 5gigs. So, I researched more and found out that they'll charge me £12 extra for total bandwidth limit excess of 6gig+ over the limit, so I've decided to ripe it for all it's worth and so far, 27gig dl+ul-ed total.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 16:40   #7
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

One of my workmates is with Tiscali and is having major problems with cancelling as they tell him that he has to call to tell them he wants to cancel, then its 30 days till they stop providing, reasonable enough. However, if, in that 30 days, he uses his internet, they cancel his request as he clearly uses the internet.

If you find a way round this please let me know as he has been trying to cancel since January but NEEDS his home internet and cant just go without for a month, and he cant order internet of someone else until he gets this Tiscali one cancelled.

(oh, and nildram, our provider, have recently introduced similar limits, 50Gb peak times - 8am to midnight - so understandbly they let you see how much you use. Last month we d/led 75Gb or so overall, we are just under the peak time limit)
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 16:43   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebany
One of my workmates is with Tiscali and is having major problems with cancelling as they tell him that he has to call to tell them he wants to cancel, then its 30 days till they stop providing, reasonable enough. However, if, in that 30 days, he uses his internet, they cancel his request as he clearly uses the internet.

If you find a way round this please let me know as he has been trying to cancel since January but NEEDS his home internet and cant just go without for a month, and he cant order internet of someone else until he gets this Tiscali one cancelled.
Stop paying them. That usually seems to work for my parents.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 17:06   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Use 0800 dialup for those 30 days.
Unread 8 May 2005, 17:36   #10
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im on pipex, and their cheapest barebones service has a limit, but the others dont i also have no complaints about anything since i signed up with them
Unread 8 May 2005, 17:42   #11
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

I'm also on Pipex. I recently had my line upgraded from 512KB/s to 1Mb/s (free, like (all?) other BT supplied ISP's) - however, i currently have a download rate of 2.2Mb/s, an occurance, i've read, that isn't uncommon. :)

Tho, i also read i'll probably get put back down to 1Mb/s soonish.
Unread 8 May 2005, 17:57   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
I've happliy been with BT Openworld ADSL for the last 3 years but in the next couple of months they're going to start enforcing their 30GB / Month limit (That includes up and down traffic). Once you go over 30GB your connection will be throttled to 150Kbit, or you can buy extra units at £1.99 per GB! Yeah right, that'll happen!
So basically after 3 years of loyal custom BT are sticking two fingers up at me and telling me that they no longer want my business, for the second time (they cancelled my anytime dialup account 5 years ago for going over the poxy 1GB a month limit (yes, I should have learned my BT lesson the first time )), so again I'll need a new ISP.
This reminded me of this column from PCZone a couple of months ago taht made me chuckle:

Quote:
"You'll be delighted to hear we've dropped the price of your BT Broadband service," said the letter.
Wandy's heart was sent aflutter. "Why yes, i am truly delighted," he said, clutching his hands together and dropping toast crumbs on to the second paragraph. "Although i should confess, I am a little concerned this is but a ruse to win over my affections."
The letter held up a hand. "There is no need to worry," it said. "You can continue to enjoy the true power of Broadband from BT for even less."
Wandy frowned.
"To enable us to offerour best possible price," continued the letter, "we are introducing a usage allowance."
Wandy frowned some more.
"It lets you download up to 15GB of data per month."
Well, that did sound like a lot.
"That's 3,000 music tracks."
Wandy tried to imagine so many tracks. It was really difficult.
"Plus your line will be upgraded from 512KB to our new 2MB service," said the letter confidently.
Wandy reached for his calculator. "Your 15GB is equivalent to 505MB per day, assuming an average of 30.44 days in a month," he said.
The letter shrugged.
"And if i were to buy an old 56K modem capable of transferring 7KB per second," said Wandy, tapping rapidly on the calculator, "I could download 25,200KB in an hour. Or 591MB per day."
The letter looked at its footer.
"And if I listened to an internet radio station for just three days, I'd have used up more than a quarter of my total allowance."
"Er," said the letter.
"So basically, I can sownload more each month with a V90 modem."
"Um"
"Goodbye," said Wandy, dropping the letter in the bin.
Unread 9 May 2005, 07:01   #13
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Stop paying them. That usually seems to work for my parents.
He's doing that, they're pissed off with him for not paying his bill since January. But they still wont stop providing his damn internet!
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 22:10   #14
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Well they told me it would be cancelled on the 27th of May. I'm still using their internet. But I'm making weekly check-ups to make sure they cancel it by that date. I've had my dad have a go at them (a very scary man to speak to on the phone)..

If it gets cancelled, you know what your friend's gotta do then....
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 22:16   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
He's doing that, they're pissed off with him for not paying his bill since January. But they still wont stop providing his damn internet!
In that case he has to make it very inconvenient for them to continue doing so, by (for instance) using up all of his bandwidth all of the time.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote