User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Aug 2004, 15:36   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Microsoft releases free Windows upgrade...sometime soon

possibly well known to all of you by now, but if not...here you go

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/08/06/m....ap/index.html
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 15:41   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Microsoft releases free Windows upgrade...sometime soon

Service Pack 2. Security = improved. Long overdue.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 15:44   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Speaking of upgrades, ntl doubled my downstream to 300kbps. \o/
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 16:18   #4
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I noticed my connection was faster on Saturday, but didn't know why. That is pretty ace though.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 22:06   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9E368D3CDB5A

Download a big file now, or wait for a littler one through automatic updates. Your choice.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 23:12   #6
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesigedB
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9E368D3CDB5A

Download a big file now, or wait for a littler one through automatic updates. Your choice.
unfortunately, i need that in dutch
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 23:41   #7
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

.... Company finally fixes the flaws in their software after 2 ****ing years and then get a big round of ****ing applause because they dont charge more money for FIXING IT.

OMFG COULD I PLEASE GET A REALITY CHECK THAT TELLS ME I DONT LIVE IN THIS ****ING WORLD.

Excuse me I need to go learn how to actually aim and fire a barret .50 cal rifle.

I have a larger rant than this but I am not supposed to scare people anymore ((

FFS
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 23:41   #8
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

http://www.microsoft.com/netherlands...2/default.aspx

does that help? I have no idea what it says tho, so it may not help you at all
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 23:49   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
unfortunately, i need that in dutch
You pansy! Get a real OS! That's English! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Spammer
.... Company finally fixes the flaws in their software after 2 ****ing years and then get a big round of ****ing applause because they dont charge more money for FIXING IT.

OMFG COULD I PLEASE GET A REALITY CHECK THAT TELLS ME I DONT LIVE IN THIS ****ING WORLD.

Excuse me I need to go learn how to actually aim and fire a barret .50 cal rifle.

I have a larger rant than this but I am not supposed to scare people anymore ((

FFS
It's not them not asking money for it that causes this media attention. It's the new additions that makes the OS safer. That it took them two years... yeah, well... that's poor.
Not that I care ofcourse, because I still believe XP is a big piece of multimedia wank, but just so you know.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 05:05   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I've run the beta for a few months now without problems
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 05:19   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

maybe they should update internet explorer too
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 05:23   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
For regular users, the most noticeable change will be a series of new prompts users will see. The idea is that if users have to actively give permission for programs to interact with their computers, there is less chance they will be hit by a virus or inadvertently allow malicious software that can monitor computer activities.

It's always risky to ask loyal customers to suddenly do things differently, but Gates said the changes aren't major and are worth it.

"Believe me, a click -- the time it takes to click versus if you have a security problem, it's a dramatic benefit," he said.
Oh yeah, I'm sure this wont be annoying at all.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 09:43   #13
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=154&tid=1
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 15:17   #14
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesigedB
Service Pack 2. Security = improved. Long overdue.
and the award for understatement of the year goes to........
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 16:40   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
They have, just maybe not the updates you're looking for

They've added a popup blocker and a few more security features which from my point of view gives IE everything I want from a browser without being too bloated with features like Opera or Firefox.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm sure this wont be annoying at all.
The popups only appear usually during first time running of some but not all setup programs, infact apart from the occasional downloaded content I never see it at all. Like all the new features though you can always turn it off.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 16:43   #16
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Mozilla > IE
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 16:46   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And Opera > Mozilla

And djbass, if you claim Firefox is too bloated with features, how is anyone going to take you seriously?
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 16:55   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
And djbass, if you claim Firefox is too bloated with features, how is anyone going to take you seriously?

A browser needs only tabbed browsing & skins/themes to fit into this catergory, and firefox has a lot more than that.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 17:01   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Such as?

And seriously, tabbed browsing and the option to skin a browser equals bloat? Then you're going to be very disappointed in MSIE 7
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 17:05   #20
djbass
mmm.. pills

Most of everything mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
And seriously, tabbed browsing and the option to skin a browser equals bloat? Then you're going to be very disappointed in MSIE 7
That is unfortunately true.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 17:11   #21
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Popup blocking - Clearly bloat. You want popups, you need popups.
Tabbed Browsing - You rather have seven instances of windows open, cluttering up your taskbar. This option is clearly unnecessary bloat.
Google Searchbar - Who uses Google, like ever? What a bloat!
Find-As-You-Type - Pish. You read documents all the way, you never search through them. So there.
Privacy and Security settings - As if you need those. Something that blocks ActiveX exploits is trivial extra code.
Extensions - Like, yeah. As if you're gonna bloat your browser even more!

Clearly I've demonstrated how this extensive list is just pure bloatware. Real men stick to MSIE, yeah!