User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 06:42   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
PS1 outsells Xbox for 4th straight week, MS to exit hardware market?

In recent days as the Gamecube gains ground in Great Britain, outselling both the PS2 and Xbox with help from peripheals like the GBA SP, it now seems the Xbox is on the verge of collapse. Microsoft's Xbox, which holds a daunting 4th place in the Japanese market, 2nd in North America, and is in a dead heat with the Gamecube in Europe for 2nd place, now sees its major titles for 2003 melt away. Halo 2 has been pushed back indefinately, and now is looking at a Spring release in 2004 at the earliest, while rumours spread that Fable may also be delayed, leaving Brute Force as the only mainstay for the Xbox this year.

On the other hand Nintendo is on the move with AAA titles like Metroid Prime and Zelda being release currently or just recently, and with a plethora of 2nd-party and 3rd party games coming out later this year, most notable of which Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (multiplayer), Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (GBA SP), Mario Kart, Pikmin 2, Super Smash Bros. Online and about 20 exclusive EA games that will also utilize the GBA Gamecube connective feature. The release of GBA SP has also consolidated Nintendo's grasp on the handheld market for the next 5 years. With Nintendo's 3rd party titles like Soul Calibur selling briskly (Xbox's version didn't even make top 50) and Xbox's exclusives like Splinter Cell jumping ship to other consoles we now see the Xbox in a lethal predicament as over 50% of the 500k Xbox Live users plan to cut the service this November, unwilling to pay the extra $50 due to a flailing economy and big online titles like Halo 2 & Fable being pushed back.

Even though MS is still going through with plans for an Xbox 2, this could very well be the beginning of the end as the Playstation One has outsold the Xbox for the fourth week in a row in Japan.

Console Stats for Japanses Bi-Week
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 07:09   #2
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
Wonderful, I am absolutely gutted by this world shattering news.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 07:25   #3
Makain
Macintosh Defender

You don't have to post. In fact its encouraged that you don't post if you aren't contributing to the conversation.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 07:36   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
well the gamecube is selling well because they are selling them for like 1p each... mind you, I was always a bit cynical because of the mini DVD thing. The advantage of the PS2 and eX Box was that you could watch/Scratch DVDs on them and didn't need to buy a DVD player too. Now the Gamecube is being sold cheap, people won't mind buying them and a DVD player. Nintendo should learn---- the N64 died because it was cartridge based, and Cube stands a good chance of dying because of not having DVD playing capability.

I really want the eX Box to suffer though. not just because of the fact that it is microsoft, but because of the "arrogance" that they could just walk in and take the console market like that. oh, the PS2 and Gamecube look far cooler too, and you need arthiritis and hooked hands to use the eX Box controller.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 07:57   #5
Ulysses
Impudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
You don't have to post. In fact its encouraged that you don't post if you aren't contributing to the conversation.
And your contribution was ?
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 07:58   #6
Ulysses
Impudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
and you need arthiritis and hooked hands to use the eX Box controller.
/me rushes out to buy one.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:32   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses
/me rushes out to buy one.
heh, make sure you enter the phone number of a good physio into your phone's memory, so you don't have too many buttons to press when you are a cripple.

I hate eX Box controllers. They are evil, they are huge and empty and plasticky and uncomfortable, and annoying and patronising and irritating. And with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I despide them to the very core of my being.

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 11:50   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I do like the X Box. At least they are trying to push things forward, with the built in broadband adapter and their bold approach to X Box Live.
Let's face it, the PS2 isn't a particularly impressive piece of hardware. But then you can't blame them really, market leaders always get complacent.
As for Gamecube, well, Nintendo are being Nintendo. They do what they do well but they're not the ones to push the console market forward.

So basically, go X Box!

I'm sure there will be an X Box 2, Microsoft has too much money for there not to be.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 11:57   #9
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
if they bring out mario kart on the Gamecube

i will buy a gamecube

until then, im happy with just my PS2
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 11:57   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Xbox isn't doing so well in Japan is because over there they are Final Fantasy crazy and Mario nutso.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 12:31   #11
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Mario Kart and Pikmin 2 may very well force me to drag my GC back out from the cupboard.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:01   #12
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Final Fantasy crazy

must buy a PS2 now I have an income.... thankyou for inspiring me.

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:08   #13
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by ItotheDtotheI
If the Gamecube played DVDs, I would have bought one now, as they are cheap as chips.

However, if X-Box does fall falt on its face, and reduces it's price to around that of a Gamecube (£80 with game) AND has it's DVD playing sorted (don't you currently have to buy a £40 adaptor?) I might get one.

Purely to put Linux on you understand, it'd make for nice XVid watching at my parents place!
I have a nice big telly, a pc, a dvd player, a vcr and a gamecube all within 1 metre of each other about 2 metres from my bed. WINNER!
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:18   #14
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by ItotheDtotheI
i have a bin liner full of trash :/
DUDE!
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:41   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
OMG!
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:44   #16
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
OMG!
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 14:05   #17
Radical Edward

Quote:
SALTY!

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 15:29   #18
Kal_Zakath
Terror and Hubris

Kal_Zakath is an unknown quantity at this point
Kal_Zakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 17:05   #19
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses
And your contribution was ?
I started the conversation by making a thread. If consoles don't interest you, then don't spam it. You are all just as bad as Dace.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 17:58   #20
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i hope they make the price for the XBOX under £100, i will then install linux on it, that will be on cheap server
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 07:15   #21
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
my only thought of getting ps2 was due to vice city, but now that its coming out for the PC in may, i don't have to buy a ps2. mmmmmmm random acts of violence against the police mmmmmm .... though an xbox, i might just buy it cause its the underdog.... and i can install linux on it. ;-)
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 17:02   #22
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
microsoft will make another console, they've got enough money to buy out nintendo and sony, not that it'll do them an ants worth of good, because they SUCK
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 17:11   #23
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
I have a nice big telly, a pc, a dvd player, a vcr and a gamecube all within 1 metre of each other about 2 metres from my bed. WINNER!
You may want to spend your next paycheck on a bigger appartement.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 17:25   #24
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
It would be even more amusing if the typo in the title of this thread was correct.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote