User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:40   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
UK Stealth aircraft

Reckon they'll get it in service, or just an expensive experiment?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:48   #2
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Certain NATO countries (notably the UK) have proven they can detect the F117 if they're expecting it in the area.

Anyway, the Eurofighter Typhoon has good "stealth". Although it's now approaching a decade overdue, and double the budget.

Buy British? Pffft. Could have had bought the F/A-18 or F-16, it would have been in service years ago, and would have cost a lot less.

The Tornado F-3 is now too old and is outperformed by the Mig-29 in most ways.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:49   #3
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
Re: UK Stealth aircraft

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
Reckon they'll get it in service, or just an expensive experiment?

expensive experiment...........but they will try it out i guess. And then say that it's crapy and that they have no use for it . The b*tches using all our tax money.

ow well not my tax money i'm dutch so goooooooo english goverment and make loads of crapy steatlh plains
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:51   #4
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
just seen the picture........it look freakin cool tho nice dising
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:52   #5
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
There was supposed to be a picture of it, but I couldnt see it.

Damn its good.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 10:57   #6
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
I thought it was nice to see that we're atleast trying to do something like it on our own, and i hope something comes from it.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 11:26   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Bah.... expensive experiment, why waste the money when they could give it to me FS :/
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:21   #8
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Certain NATO countries (notably the UK) have proven they can detect the F117 if they're expecting it in the area.
yeap, I believe the UK tracked a B2 at an airshow once... much to the disgust of the americans, who complained... heh.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:23   #9
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice
Apperantly, they look for a void rather than mass when scouting for 'stealth' veichles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:29   #10
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
err... but the sky is pretty much all a void.

the trick is to look at something with the radar signiature of a budgie (as some of the radar does get reflected, but well below the threshold that you expect), that is travelling at a few hundred miles an hour.

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:32   #11
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: UK Stealth aircraft

Ooooh, it comes with an attractive display stand.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:36   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

It's pic looks better upside-down and enlarged.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:40   #13
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynical Oracle
Apperantly, they look for a void rather than mass when scouting for 'stealth' veichles.
i think the theory isnt far off that for submarines..

you look for something that isnt there eg. no background radiation..

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:49   #14
Radical Edward

Quote:
It's pic looks better upside-down and enlarged.
but then you get that creepy feeling that you are stood on your head and about to fall into an infinite abyss of nothingness

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:54   #15
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
i think the theory isnt far off that for submarines..

you look for something that isnt there eg. no background radiation..
Altho submarines are found with Sonar, I believe that it's safe to make this assumption. A 'void' moving at 1k+ speeds..

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 12:56   #16
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Replica was never designed to fly, but it incorporated a lot of features of a real stealth aircraft, including an internal weapons bay. Much of the airframe was made of carbon-fibre composite tiles, unlike the aluminium in most aircraft.
Boo! :(
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:05   #17
Radical Edward

looking for a void in the sky with radar is like looking for water in the sea.

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:15   #18
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
looking for a void in the sky with radar is like looking for water in the sea.
Hence the ' '. More of a lack of nothing, than a lack of something.

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:17   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Boo!
ooh, i'm a member of the IEE... now where did I put my password to the webbie...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:17   #20
Radical Edward

that isn't how it works, you just look for a very small amount of radiowaves being bounced back. the thing is, the threshold on detection is always set far higher than this as you get loads of noise and clutter, so you only look for it if you know it is going to be there.

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:21   #21
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Afaik, Radar are using radar waves?

Quote:
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:23   #22
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
ooh, i'm a member of the IEE... now where did I put my password to the webbie...
Uhm... you dont need to log-in to view the story.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:43   #23
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
on a slightly seperate note

i have a piece of the F117 that was shot down over Serbia during the Kosovo bombings

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:59   #24
Radical Edward

Re: on a slightly seperate note

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
i have a piece of the F117 that was shot down over Serbia during the Kosovo bombings
how on earth did you manage that? how much was it? It's not like bits of the berlin wall is it? say a lump of carbon fibre or something...

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 14:03   #25
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
it's

a small piece of whatever the wing casing is made of.
Still worth having imo!
We have 'connections' over there

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 14:05   #26
Radical Edward

can you get hold of Radovan Karadzic for me? I think it would be ace to turn up at the local police station with him trussed up in the boot.

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 14:08   #27
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

lol

not that sort of connections

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 15:13   #28
Radical Edward

also a correctly configured mobile phone networc can detect them, and even image them, tell you how fast they are going and so on....

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 15:36   #29
Radical Edward

yeap, really. basically the mobile phone network is a dense array of transmitters and detectors. you take the data and you can detect stuff... It is called the Roke Manor system (British Idea )

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V121/N63/Stealth.63f.html

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 16:19   #30
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
i dont care about stealth. I think 'coolness' matters more
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 16:32   #31
Radical Edward

ace. I want one.

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 17:40   #32
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Yes me too, and have been for 10 years.

With a bit of luck I will get Chartered Engineer status next year.

Or was that a sarcastic reply?

ps Luck = Damn Hard work btw

Last edited by Judge; 7 Apr 2003 at 17:50.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 18:31   #33
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

is it just me

that thinks there's an uncanny resemblance between the Su-47 and the Korean Black Eagles off RA2?

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 01:06   #34
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Personaly i prefer boeing's Bird of Prey , and the fact that has flown is nice as well ;-)
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 02:42   #35
Lord Zor
Super Trooper

Lord Zor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yeap, I believe the UK tracked a B2 at an airshow once... much to the disgust of the americans, who complained... heh.
that's just stupid....all aircraft have to be on radar during an airshow. the B2 has a device onboard that allows it to be seen on radar, how do you think they refuel =P if they didn't have that its like finding a flake of skin in a the floor
am I jump all nimbly bimly from tree to tree?am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Do you see me eating mice?
Lord Zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 03:08   #36
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
The Aussies developed a way of using weather radar systems to detect the 'wake' of a stealth aircraft. Apparently the US was a touch miffed
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 04:47   #37
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
The Aussies developed a way of using weather radar systems to detect the 'wake' of a stealth aircraft. Apparently the US was a touch miffed
It doesn't take a lot to get the US "miffed"
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 07:59   #38
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zor
that's just stupid....all aircraft have to be on radar during an airshow. the B2 has a device onboard that allows it to be seen on radar, how do you think they refuel =P if they didn't have that its like finding a flake of skin in a the floor
you fight like a dairy farmer

Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:23   #39
Lord Zor
Super Trooper

Lord Zor is an unknown quantity at this point
um um....::trys to think of some wilty pirate bandter:: you flight like....damnit....now your gonna make me go play monkey island to get some old school pirate jokes
am I jump all nimbly bimly from tree to tree?am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Do you see me eating mice?
Lord Zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:39   #40
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zor
um um....::trys to think of some wilty pirate bandter:: you flight like....damnit....now your gonna make me go play monkey island to get some old school pirate jokes
(how appropriate, you fight like a cow)

I've spoken with apes more polite than you!

Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:52   #41
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
We have a stealth missile boat and a stealth hovercraft. Apparently they're impossible to detect if there is even the slightest wind because they look like plain old waves in the radar.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:52   #42
menth0l
dim like a fox

We have a stealth missile boat and a stealth hovercraft. Apparently they're impossible to detect if there is even the slightest wind because they look like plain old waves in the radar.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:53   #43
menth0l
dim like a fox

---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 15:53   #44
clx

clx is an unknown quantity at this point
well i recon they have built it and have it in use as we type...

coz i've never seen one, have YOU?

* * * * PA-VETRAN - rounds 1 through 9 and still sticking at it * * * *

- alliance-less coz no one wubs me

It is always funny untill some one gets hurt... Then it's freeking Hysterical!
clx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 14:48   #45
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong

Anyway, the Eurofighter Typhoon has good "stealth". Although it's now approaching a decade overdue, and double the budget.

Buy British? Pffft. Could have had bought the F/A-18 or F-16, it would have been in service years ago, and would have cost a lot less.

The Tornado F-3 is now too old and is outperformed by the Mig-29 in most ways.

M.
Yeah, but they slip in and out of radar and the new Raptor can be deteced but its signal is that of a bird. Good luck firguring out which on is the seagull and which on is about to move in and rain destruction on you for turning on electronic noise.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:13   #46
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid00
Good luck firguring out which on is the seagull and which on is about to move in and rain destruction on you for turning on electronic noise.
the one flying at mach 2.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:25   #47
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
the one flying at mach 2.
But who you going to pickup it if you turn up the senstivty of the radar to pickup birds? I think one little bird even moving faster then normal will hard to pickup from the millions upon millions of things in the air that size.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 22:39   #48
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
THe JSF has been going on for a while, that's stealthified.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2003, 15:52   #49
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats so special? I had Phantoms and Ghosts in r3, Nothing detects those bitches

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2003, 18:08   #50
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cheekybru
Whats so special? I had Phantoms and Ghosts in r3, Nothing detects those bitches
This is probably the best post you will ever make.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote