User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:01   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Where are Iraq's warplanes?

I saw some stats the other day which outlined what military force Iraq had during the first gulf war compared to what they have left today. It said that Iraq has 350 fighter planes (old Russian MIG's or something) yet I havent heard any reports of them being used anywhere in Iraq during this conflict.

Have I just missed them or are they sitting somewhere idle or waiting to go?

I'd have thought that given the circumstances and even if the allies had a superior air force, that the Iraqi military would deploy them to cause more problems.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:05   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-equipment.htm
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:07   #3
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm more interested in the whereabouts of the so called WMDs. Surely if he knew he was going to die he'd be using them by now?
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:07   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I think that the Iraqi air force has been cut back a lot since the last Gulf War, something to do with the UN resolutions. The sanctions haven't helped either, since all spare parts are banned from being imported.

Due to the US's tactic of immediately trying to claim air superiority I imagine that most of the air fields have already been blown up. Anyway, if there are any Iraqi planes left they won't pose any real problem to the American and British planes, if they take off they'll just be body bags waiting to happen.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:09   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
I'm more interested in the whereabouts of the so called WMDs. Surely if he knew he was going to die he'd be using them by now?
If he has a nuke/chemicals, he'll plant them in/around bagdad and when the US forces enter the city in large numbers: BOOOOM..... mass destruction of a scale never seen before.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:09   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
they are probably already destroyed. no match at all for the most modern airforce in the world. i dont think they even tried.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:12   #7
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
They probably hide them as they are useless against their modern counterpart, but very useful if they win the war (shocker of a 100 years).....
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:14   #8
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I was an Iraqi pilot I'd want to stay the hell out of the sky. But from what I hear everything seems to be in reserve for defending Baghdad.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:31   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
If he has a nuke/chemicals, he'll plant them in/around bagdad and when the US forces enter the city in large numbers: BOOOOM..... mass destruction of a scale never seen before.
he'll wait for coalition forces to converge on Baghdad, hopefully not to nail the city itself, but to wait for the enemy to get closer in and less spread out for max effect. Right now they're all spread across the desert and his ability to reach them accurately is limited. They're checking every SCUD he launches (which he wasn't supposed to have btw) regardless of where they land, so wasting a chem round isn't something he can afford to do.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:38   #10
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
he'll wait for coalition forces to converge on Baghdad, hopefully not to nail the city itself, but to wait for the enemy to get closer in and less spread out for max effect. Right now they're all spread across the desert and his ability to reach them accurately is limited. They're checking every SCUD he launches (which he wasn't supposed to have btw) regardless of where they land, so wasting a chem round isn't something he can afford to do.
after what i have read these missles where al sammud missles, not scuds.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:40   #11
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
so wasting a chem round isn't something he can afford to do.
But according to the Bush regime he has 10 billion litres of anthrax to spare!
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 21:10   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
the al-sammoud is a modified scud-B missile..
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 21:40   #13
Anaximander

Anaximander is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
I'm sorry buddy, but you're probably wrong. The stations here said, that the US Army admitted, that there haven't been any Scuds. Only short range rockets like "frogs".

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...eadlines-world

Just one accidental link.

Another lie or half true, I think.