User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 10:55   #201
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Similar gun laws in other countries, fewer gun deaths.

It's not the presence of guns on its own.
similar gun laws does not nescessarily mean similar proliferation of guns. However you are still right to some degree, it isn't just about the guns themselves.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 12:01   #202
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
Saying that a camera watching your every move is an invasion of privacy is silly - it's just for your protection. If you're not a criminal, what do you have to worry about?

In some states (in the good old USA) Oral sex is still a crime. Can u imagine the outcry if camera's were stuck in houses in those states?
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 14:23   #203
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by QazokRouge5
You hit the nail on the head. But I don't know what I would do if it happened again. Dont want to think about it.

Well I'v ebeen in court, and consulting with lawyers all day.
And the judge decided that I was acting in self defence, and that the charges should be dropped.

I'm glad that happened, but slightly miffed about the large amount of bail I had to pay. Anyway, I'm glad this is over.
You should have refused to pay the bail, and stayed in Prison, that would have showed them.

Then you could have pursued a false arrest and imprisonment suit against the Police, got a load of compo, and bought even more illegally held firearms, then killed even more passing burglars..................

What a joyous life.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 16:23   #204
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Both of you seem to miss the concept that the burglar did not raise his shotgun until Qazok came at him with a gun.

I'm not at all questioning why Qazok shot the guy once the confrontation was there, I am questioning why Qazok immediately grabbed a gun and forced a confrontation.
BECAUSE THERE WAS SOMEONE WHO HAD BROKEN INTO HIS HIS HOUSE YOU LUNATIC, WHEN YOU HEAR AN INTRUDER DOWNSTAIRS YOU PROBABLY SHOULDNT GO DOWN WITH YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD SAYING "EXCUSE ME MY GOOD MAN, WELCOME TO MY HUMBLE ABODE, HOW MAY I HELP YOU RELIEVE ME OFF ALL MY HARDEARNED POSSESSIONS WHICH SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET TOLD ME ARE LESS IMPORTANT THAN THE LIFE OF ANY HUMAN ALIVE". WE'RE ALL SORRY HE HAD THE LACK OF SOCIAL COURTESY TO INTERRUPT THE BURGLAR WHILE HE WAS DOING HIS JOB AND DECIDED TO "START A CONFRONTATION AGAINST AN ARMED CRIMINAL WHO WAS ROBBING HIS HOUSE" INSTEAD OF DOING THE NOBLE THING AND COMING DOWN NAKED AND UNARMED AND ASKING THE BURGLAR IF HE NEEDED ANY ASSISSTANCE LOCATING THE MORE EXPENSIVE ITEMS THAT HE OWNED, HE OBVIOUSLY DESERVES TO DIE FOR BEING SO UNJUSTIFIABLY AGGRESSIVE AND THOUGHTLESS, AND NOW HES ENDED UP KILLING AN INNOCENT MAN WHOSE ONLY CRIME WAS ARMED ROBBERY AND POINTING A SHOTGUN AT A 16 YEAR OLD THIS IS A TRAGEDY OF EPIC PROPORTIONS AND IF SHAKESPEARE WERE STILL ALIVE HE WOULD PROBABLY WRITE AT LEAST 8 PLAYS ABOUT IT.

holy shit, the lengths some people will go to try and bend reality to fit their value judgements never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by Nodrog; 19 Mar 2003 at 16:32.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 16:42   #205
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cnaw
In some states (in the good old USA) Oral sex is still a crime. Can u imagine the outcry if camera's were stuck in houses in those states?
The laws are there for a reason. If you intend to break them, you shouldn't complain if you are punished.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 16:49   #206
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
y'know.. if you point a gun at a police officer.. doesn't matter if the thing is loaded or not, they will shoot you right away, no questions asked.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 16:55   #207
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog

(stuff)

is succinct a word that escaped your vocabulary?

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:13   #208
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Both of you seem to miss the concept that the burglar did not raise his shotgun until Qazok came at him with a gun.

I'm not at all questioning why Qazok shot the guy once the confrontation was there, I am questioning why Qazok immediately grabbed a gun and forced a confrontation.
So, he bobs in, says "aah, i see you have a shotgun - just a sec"
then leaves and goes to get his gun, returns, says "sorry about that" and shoots him?
Really?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:17   #209
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
BECAUSE THERE WAS SOMEONE WHO HAD BROKEN INTO HIS HIS HOUSE YOU LUNATIC, WHEN YOU HEAR AN INTRUDER DOWNSTAIRS YOU PROBABLY SHOULDNT GO DOWN WITH YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD SAYING "EXCUSE ME MY GOOD MAN, WELCOME TO MY HUMBLE ABODE, HOW MAY I HELP YOU RELIEVE ME OFF ALL MY HARDEARNED POSSESSIONS WHICH SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET TOLD ME ARE LESS IMPORTANT THAN THE LIFE OF ANY HUMAN ALIVE". WE'RE ALL SORRY HE HAD THE LACK OF SOCIAL COURTESY TO INTERRUPT THE BURGLAR WHILE HE WAS DOING HIS JOB AND DECIDED TO "START A CONFRONTATION AGAINST AN ARMED CRIMINAL WHO WAS ROBBING HIS HOUSE" INSTEAD OF DOING THE NOBLE THING AND COMING DOWN NAKED AND UNARMED AND ASKING THE BURGLAR IF HE NEEDED ANY ASSISSTANCE LOCATING THE MORE EXPENSIVE ITEMS THAT HE OWNED, HE OBVIOUSLY DESERVES TO DIE FOR BEING SO UNJUSTIFIABLY AGGRESSIVE AND THOUGHTLESS, AND NOW HES ENDED UP KILLING AN INNOCENT MAN WHOSE ONLY CRIME WAS ARMED ROBBERY AND POINTING A SHOTGUN AT A 16 YEAR OLD THIS IS A TRAGEDY OF EPIC PROPORTIONS AND IF SHAKESPEARE WERE STILL ALIVE HE WOULD PROBABLY WRITE AT LEAST 8 PLAYS ABOUT IT.

holy shit, the lengths some people will go to try and bend reality to fit their value judgements never ceases to amaze me.
Nod, Nod.... take it easy....

WHY did Qazoc grab a gun after he heard a window being smashed? How many windows smashed in the US are smashed by burglars?

Leshy's question is just. A smashed window isn't a reason for grabbing for your gun right away, or you must be damn paranoid.
Ofcourse, I cannot judge the situation at that moment as Qazok didn't give enough information (was it night? Was it a loud noise? etc). Perhaps grabbing the gun was a logical reaction.

I think that's what Leshy means.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:18   #210
Mistar Bataur

Burglers would have no need to bring a gun in the first place, if not every single home had a gun. There would be no 'need' to take that step as they could be sure noone in the place they went to had one.

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:23   #211
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistar Bataur
Burglers would have no need to bring a gun in the first place, if not every single home had a gun. There would be no 'need' to take that step as they could be sure noone in the place they went to had one.
alternatively they would still take one, because the person with a hammer/knife/assorted kitchen implement will always give up when faced with a sawn-off pointed at their head.

Unless they are stupid, in which case they probably deserve to be shot.

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:26   #212
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

Leshy's question is just. A smashed window isn't a reason for grabbing for your gun right away, or you must be damn paranoid.

I think that's what Leshy means.
Leshy's argument is still stupid. you have done nothing to rectify it.

what innocent thing would cause the sound of smashing glass in the middle of the night? kamikaze bats? Directionally impared snowy owls? freak meteor storms?

smashing glass isn't a spontaneous thing you know, if I heard it, I would be armed when I investigate.

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:28   #213
Sub
Banned

What if a small child was playing with a very powerful radiator outside that raised the temperature of the glass significantly, then it started to rain? The glass would (probably) break, but it wouldn't have been an intruder!
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:30   #214
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
What if a small child was playing with a very powerful radiator outside that raised the temperature of the glass significantly, then it started to rain? The glass would (probably) break, but it wouldn't have been an intruder!
aah yes, sudden thermal gradients caused by irresponsible and reckless youth... happens every day round here

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:31   #215
Sub
Banned

It's probably as likely to happen as the original scenario.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 17:36   #216
Mistar Bataur

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
alternatively they would still take one, because the person with a hammer/knife/assorted kitchen implement will always give up when faced with a sawn-off pointed at their head.

Unless they are stupid, in which case they probably deserve to be shot.
That's the alternative yes, and I very much agree it's hard to decide wich one it is.

I believe that the more 'extreme' scenarios are created due to the increasing limits for acceptance. People don't view guns as an extreme solution anymore. That's the problem.

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:06   #217
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
WHY did Qazoc grab a gun after he heard a window being smashed? How many windows smashed in the US are smashed by burglars?
This is a matter of weighing up the pro's and cons. If I hear glass smashing, it could be something random (erm, a bird flying through my window?) or it could be an intruder.

If I get my gun (or cricket bat) and then go down to see a dead pigeon, no harm done. If I go down to see a knife/gun/bat weilding manic and I've only brought my "Osbornes Book of Ornothology" I'm potentially in some serious trouble.

I don't see why grabbing a gun in this specific instance is a particularly bad thing. If he had just heard a noise, and wasn't very familiar with firearms (i.e. it could accidently go off) and he was in a shared household then obviously randomly weilding a firearm would be a bit more dangerous.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:08   #218
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
things
YES BECAUSE IF YOU HEAR SOMETHING IN YOUR HOUSE YOU HAVE TO GRAB YOUR GUN AND GO SHOOT PEOPLE BECAUSE THE ONLY OTHER OPTION AVAILABLE IS TO DROP YOUR PANTS, PULL YOUR UNDERPANTS OVER YOUR HEAD AND WHILE SHOUTING "I AM THE GODZILLA MONKEY" RUN THROUGH YOUR HOUSE AND IT IS ALSO IMPOSSIBLE TO SIMPLY GRAB A PHONE AND CALL 911.

Also, seeing as the burglar chose the subtle way of entry by smashing through a window, I doubt he was tip-toeing his stealthy way through the kitchen, leaving little need for investigation.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:14   #219
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Well, we already know your position, but I can see two options:

1. You ring the highly ineffectual police.
2. You acquire some means of defending yourself, and confront him. You choose the means of defense best suited.

You choose!
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:17   #220
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
AND IT IS ALSO IMPOSSIBLE TO SIMPLY GRAB A PHONE AND CALL 911.[/b]
a) Not everyone has a phone in their bedroom, or nearby.

b) Not all police response times are under 10 seconds. In fact, you could be waiting twenty minutes

c) Thinking you heard a noise is a stupid reason to phone the police. If people phoned the police every time they heard a noise the state would be bankrupt.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:18   #221
Mistar Bataur

Quote:

2. You acquire some means of defending yourself, and confront him. You choose the means of defense best suited.

You choose!
Yes, or you can hide under the bed, or if you no have that available you can simply make a diversion and jump out of window and run to safety and call police and you should be fine.

Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:22   #222
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

You choose!
May I add two:

3. You climb out of the window or flee the house, avoiding confrontation (but as you're unsure about what's going on this is unlikely)
4. You go to the room, without a weapon, as you want to investigate what just happened (you aren't 100% sure there's a robber in your house, depending on circumstances).
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 19:34   #223
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
it's easy to hypothesize (sp?) about what you could or should do when a burguler breaks into your house.. fact is when it happens you're not thinking about the concequences of what MIGHT happen if you do this or that.. but 'what the hell can i do RIGHT NOW!'

when it happens to you please come and let us know how you handled the situation. i know for a fact that if i heard a window smash in my house i'd grab SOMETHING to help defend myself if i need to before i go to investigate. and i've never heard of anyone phoning the police BEFORE they go and investigate what's going on. you can't say to a robber 'oh excuse me while i go back and get something sharp to defend myself and phone the police'

from what i've seen as a general rule robbers don't leave 'witnesses' alive, or at least concious
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 20:09   #224
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
c) Thinking you heard a noise is a stupid reason to phone the police.
As I said, a burglar coming into your house by smashing a window is very unlikely to start sneaking stealthily after his entry. In most houses, it's not particularly difficult to tell whether there is someone walking through a room or whether it's completely silent.
Quote:
from what i've seen as a general rule robbers don't leave 'witnesses' alive, or at least concious
And from what I've seen, burglars tend to make a run for it when they get caught. Both family and acquaintances have caught burglars in their house, and in both of which cases they simply ran away through the door they'd unlocked to get in.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 20:36   #225
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
I am quite anti-gun, but even I am stunned at the lengths of revisionism people will go to to make this seem like it was wrong.

"What if the noise was caused by something innocent?"

Then you smile at yourself, feel a bit silly, and go put the weapon away. Having a gun does not mean that you instantly put the gun through the broken window and blindly empty the clip into the street.

I cannot believe I am defending the use of a firearm here, but come on.

Had the situation been, the burgler came in whith a knife, and Quazok shot and killed him, maybe you would have been right to reproach him. He had other alternatives then, such as demanding surrender, he clearly had the upper hand.

However, the intruder was raising a firearm of his own. How can you possibly reproach him for this action?

Lets put it this way. I dont own a gun, I dont want to own a gun. I will campaign for stricter gun laws, and I will reproach people who do own guns.

HOWEVER, if somebody breaks into my house, you can bet I will have a baseball bat in hand when investigating. And if that person has a firearm, and shows intent to use his weapon on me, and I have opportunity, you can bet that i will tee off on his skull with the aformentioned baseball bat.

Now, as a seperate point, and this IS a reproach to Qazok, I would then expect to be arrested and charged in his killing. i would then expect to pleaed self defence and be released. I see no harm whatsoever in the actions of the police in your situation.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 20:42   #226
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
And from what I've seen, burglars tend to make a run for it when they get caught. Both family and acquaintances have caught burglars in their house, and in both of which cases they simply ran away through the door they'd unlocked to get in.
the robber in question DIDN'T run away but raised his own gun instead.
i can't speak for quazok but i'm pretty sure that had the robber run away he wouldn't have shot him in the back (now that really would have murder).

though i'm curious (either i missed it or it's never been posted) but obviously the police would investigate the robber's gun.. i wanna know if it was loaded? (of course this doesn't matter now.. but it would prove if the robber would have used it or if it was just a 'scare' factor)
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 21:18   #227
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

ok now Nod. Breathe.....breathe....breathe......now stop making a complete arse of yourself, and I will continue walking away from you nodding and smiling nodding and smiling.

That's good.

By the way: I don't give a **** if your TV was a gift from your brother who died from cancer or a special artifact from Michelangelo's ass. You don't kill people over things. People are worth more than things. It's just things man, even though you had to spend some of your life earning that thing. It's still a thing dude, no need to whack people over it.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 21:29   #228
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

I'm concerned with the legal procedure they put him through. They charged him with manslaughter, then they dropped that, then they said they were actually charging him with possesion whilst under age. Did I read that bit correctly?
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 21:47   #229
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by eple
You don't kill people over things. People are worth more than things. It's just things man, even though you had to spend some of your life earning that thing. It's still a thing dude, no need to whack people over it.
You don't kill people over things. You kill people to defend yourself. As I've said ad nausea in this thread - the issue isn't the bloody TV. The issue is a gun weilding maniac breaking into your home and threatening your life.

(Note : I don't actually think the events described in the initial post ocurred. But playing along with the scenario is still good for the debate)
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 21:50   #230
eple
Voodoo chile

I wasn't sticking to topic, but critizising Nod's ramblings.

seriously Nod, chill out, light up you know, peace out dude.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 22:03   #231
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I wasn't sticking to topic, but critizising Nod's ramblings.

seriously Nod, chill out, light up you know, peace out dude.
I suspect he was capitalising his words for impact.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 22:15   #232
eple
Voodoo chile

i suggest his message still sucked, even in caps lock, mostly though, I get a bit annoyed by the claim that you may kill to protect some silly luxuries (still offtopic I know, but Nod presented such statements earlier on).
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 22:33   #233
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
i suggest his message still sucked
Well, I liked it.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 23:21   #234
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

That as may be, but it doesn't alter the fact that Qazok was probably about to be shot. Also we dont know that this guy wasn't going to shoot him anyway. Im not saying that all burglars should be shot on sight, but if a burglar starts to point a gun at you it is within your rights to shoot him.

Being British I wouldn't be able to pick up a gun, but be assured that if I hear a window break I will go to investigate with my hockey stick and lock knife (also a torch maybe).

You'll never see me but I am everywhere

Last edited by Eidron; 19 Mar 2003 at 23:27.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 23:52   #235
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
the robber in question DIDN'T run away but raised his own gun instead.
He was about to be shot by someone attacking him with a gun.
Quote:
Originally posted by Eidron
if a burglar starts to point a gun at you it is within your rights to shoot him.
Read my post again, as you seem to have missed the point. I agree that Qazok had no choice but to shoot the burglar as he would likely have been shot himself otherwise, but that was only after he himself had created the kill- or be killed-situation.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 23:57   #236
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
He was about to be shot by someone attacking him with a gun. Read my post again, as you seem to have missed the point. I agree that Qazok had no choice but to shoot the burglar as he would likely have been shot himself otherwise, but that was only after he himself had created the kill- or be killed-situation.
See nodrog's post again. That sums up your position rather well.
Unread 19 Mar 2003, 23:58   #237
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
And that is why I said "that as may be" . Still we cant go back in time and see what would have happened if Qazok didn't have a gun, so we shouldn't really bother speculating.

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:01   #238
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
See nodrog's post again. That sums up your position rather well.
So far, all nodrog has posted is capital bold extreme nonsense, as according to him the only other option besides killing the burglar would have been to give him cookies.

I can only imagine how amused nodrog must be by his succesful trolling in this thread, although he may find your head up his arse a tad uncomfortable
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:05   #239
eple
Voodoo chile

heh, well in that case....well played Nodrog
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:11   #240
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

By the way: I don't give a **** if your TV was a gift from your brother who died from cancer or a special artifact from Michelangelo's ass. You don't kill people over things. People are worth more than things. It's just things man, even though you had to spend some of your life earning that thing. It's still a thing dude, no need to whack people over it.

That's a matter of opinion. If someone breaks into my home, their life isn't worth **** to me. Especially not if they come armed.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:17   #241
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So far, all nodrog has posted is capital bold extreme nonsense, as according to him the only other option besides killing the burglar would have been to give him cookies.
You must have missed all his other posts then.

You were the one who said all human life is valued over possesions. The initial statements followed from that, and the assumption that you own any item that may be considered a luxury.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:19   #242
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
You must have missed all his other posts then.
And you must have missed nodrog's ability to troll
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:27   #243
Aryn
Happy

so leshy yer sayin that if quazok had come up to the robber completely unarmed and said 'uhm.. please leave fs' the robber would have just left? or would the robber have shot quazok?
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:30   #244
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
so leshy yer sayin that if quazok had come up to the robber
I'm tempted to start using bold and caps as well.

I'm saying that he could have avoided the confrontation altogether, by choosing another course of action than grabbing a gun and going up to the burglar. Or at least he could have made an attempt to.

Also, his nickname is Qazok. Quazok makes him sound like a duck
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:31   #245
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
I'm not arguing with your actions. If I had both the nerve and a gun I'd do the same. I also agree with the police for arresting you. You killed someone and it's their job to investigate it. What did you expect, a medal? Also I hope there are charges brought against you. Not for the shooting but because you're a 16 year old kid with a gun. It's against the law for you to have a gun. I'm not sure if it was your gun or someone else's but if it isn't your gun than why did you have access to it? Is it your parents'? And where the hell have your parents been during all of this? Were they sleeping while burglars smashed your windows and people were being shot?
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:40   #246
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
I'm tempted to start using bold and caps as well.

I'm saying that he could have avoided the confrontation altogether, by choosing another course of action than grabbing a gun and going up to the burglar. Or at least he could have made an attempt to.

Also, his nickname is Qazok. Quazok makes him sound like a duck

so if your window smashed you'd run around back to safety? or would you go investigate?
i think 90% of people would go investigate, because as most people said, it could have been nothing (bird, ball, rock). it was just bad luck that it was another person, who also happened to be wielding a gun. in your opinion he made a mistake by going to see what caused the noise. ok fine, but it happened, and now he's face to face with another gun.

we can speculate all we want but we're never gonna know what was going through their heads. and no doubtly if the robber was still alive and the police questioned him he'd say 'i would NEVER have shot the kid!!!' but again it could be lies.

it's over and done with.. nothing any of us say will change it. but my argument is this: if a window smashes in your house do you go investigate or do you run away?
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:40   #247
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Start naming these "other courses of action", as you havent done so far.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:45   #248
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Start naming these "other courses of action", as you havent done so far.
I have named several ones, as have others.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:50   #249
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
if a window smashes in your house do you go investigate or do you run away?
If grabbing a gun and running into the kitchen is an investigation, then I certainly hope I'm never investigated by the police!
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 00:51   #250
Aryn
Happy

you still haven't answered my question.