User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:35   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Jonny feigns worldly disdain.

Celebrity journalism is our title for the day. If you're unsure what I mean by that remark then read on.

Celebrity journalism, as we all should know, is a Niagara of froth. Haemorrhaging smarm, it practically incapacitates parody. It's incredible how some so completely frivolous, ie celebrity worship, receives more attention from some people that the news. What's more it's abundance is only matched by it's complete lack of substance. Who doesn't want to spend their day purveying magazines describing these delightful/ charming/ distinguished/ ravishing/ renowned/ eminent/ radiant/ alluring sometimes even 'wonderful' people with their exquisite/ graceful/ sublime taste and all round fabulous/ fantastic/ success-saturated (thesaurus-exhausting), magnificent lives?

Perhaps Andy Warhol was right, to be honest I wish he was wrong if this is the kind of coma-inducing drivel that will get forced down our throats as culture. Personally I blame rampant egotism, or rather the vapid pretensions of such. For in fact there is nothing extra that these people to make them worthy of our attention, bring back noblesse oblige for god's sake, at least that was mildly entertaining in it's ignorance. This semi-culture substituting for social interactions on a level beyond the immediate and necessary rings so hollow it's unbelievable. Our atomised society has binded around this phenomenon and given it plaudits it shouldn't be allowed to approach within fifty yards of.

The total lack of balance, breathless banalities to sordid sensationalism, filling in for human experience and propagating distorted notions of the worth of man has only served to further insidiously establish their pseudo-values of materialism and consumerism. Unfortunately some people willing give themselves over to this vicarious way of life, and I'm not talking of the sycophantic readers but rather those 'celebrities' who become completely dehumanised as they are turned into grinning mannequins for public consumption.

I admit to a feeling of dispair at the moment as the welcome decline has seemingly reversed itself into even further detail of these people and their putatively glamorous lives. We have travelled all the way, in western society, from religion and self-denial to money and self-indulgence. A middle ground would prove itself rather welcome I feel. Hopefully Balzac's dictum that "behind every great fortune lies a crime" might encourage some people to think on their own for a change and abandon their fruitless pursuit of the fulfillment of an evidently self-defeating value system.

Ah well, perhaps I'm overreacting.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:41   #2
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Never go away again.

you hear me laddie?
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:43   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
No, youre not overreacting. Its sad, but almost unstoppabale. You should join a caravan of love, and just float away.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:43   #4
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
No, it really is that bad.

I just find it difficult to believe that some people actually enjoy such crap. Perhaps their lives are simply so empty and meaningless that they have to fill it with someone else's business.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:45   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Jonny, do you actually use a thesaurus to look up sexy synonyms and alliterative antonyms?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 15:50   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Jonny, do you actually use a thesaurus to look up sexy synonyms and alliterative antonyms?

No my ornate verbosity is merely a result of my superfluous education in the variable nuances of the english language. As always, I'm blaming Marx.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:31   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You're reading the wrong newspapers/magazines and watching the wrong televisual news.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:34   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ItotheDtotheI
Jonny in 'confusing [1]celebrity journalism for [2]celebrity gossip whilest almost half a dozen people lap it up without thinking due to the myriad of interesting words involved' shocker!

[1]------->[2]

Well that wasn't so hard was it. My hopes in this area are mainly confined to a recognition of the damage done by so called journalists etc rather than a massive social change in a society dominated by same. I just added the last line as a touch of the personal appeal which I never lose hope in.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:38   #9
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
ItotheDtotheI in 'desperate attempt at points-scoring' shocker!
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:52   #10
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
No my ornate verbosity is merely a result of my superfluous education in the variable nuances of the english language. As always, I'm blaming Marx.
I think queball may have a point, as many of sentences don't make sense or are quite badly written.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:54   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
I think queball may have a point, as many of sentences don't make sense or are quite badly written.

It would, that's originally a six page essay I condensed down as I'm not typing the whole ****ing thing out again.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 16:58   #12
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
many of sentences don't make sense or are quite badly written.
This is too ironic to be overlooked, I'm afraid.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:00   #13
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nondescript Human
This is too ironic to be overlooked, I'm afraid.
I don't use large words
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:07   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand what any of this means. All I can assume is that is because one of us doesn't know the difference (or lack of maybe) about [1]celebrity journalism and [2]celebrity gossip..

[1] Journalism done by celebritys (think Comic Relief etc)
[2] Journalism done about celebritys (think Hello magazine etc)

And Mr. N Human, I stopped counting the points I scored, years ago.

Oh right that's your problem. I meant celebrity journalism in the same sense one says economic journalism or sports journalism, ie writing about celebrities. Celebrity gossip then being the culture inspired by [1]. Christ you're pedantic though.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:18   #15
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

[1] Journalism done by celebritys (think Comic Relief etc)
[2] Journalism done about celebritys (think Hello magazine etc)

surely both have the same affect on the reader and fundamentally its self-congratulatory ego driven crap.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote