User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:40   #1
-o|DarkJedi|o-

-o|DarkJedi|o- is infamous around these parts
Sexual Science

If gay people are born with the wrong chromozomes, does this mean that scientists will eventually find a 'cure for gay'??

If this were possible, and with dna manipulation techniques increasing its likely, how should society view the future of homosexuality? And if you had a choice would you give your child the cure for gay or not?

Discuss..

<@JonnyFive> well there you go, dj's ego really is mightier than ships

<@Hevonen> DarkJedi, thank god

[00:02] <Iniluki> self glorfying sigs are ****ing childish
[00:04] <DarkJedi> arrogance is bliss
-o|DarkJedi|o- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:41   #2
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
I would find a way to make you gay.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:42   #3
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
I would cure my child of gayness if it were possible, but I really dont think I will have any gay children.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:48   #4
Julie

What's so bad about gay people. Aslong as they stick to themself that's fine and all.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:53   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Julie
What's so bad about gay people?
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:53   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Post the evidence you have that sexuality is genetically rather than socially determined plz.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:58   #7
Dreadnought!

Re: Sexual Science

Quote:
Originally posted by -o|DarkJedi|o-
If gay people are born with the wrong chromozomes, does this

first of all "Chromosomes" secondly who says they are the wrong chromosomes?
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:02   #8
-o|DarkJedi|o-

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Post the evidence you have that sexuality is genetically rather than socially determined plz.
i dont have any evidence, im doing my usual trick of posting something really unfactual and contraversial to see how you pe0ns react...

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:24   #9
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
surely if there is a gay gene then being gay is hereditary, does this mean that people witha history of gay in their family are more likely to be gay?

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:29   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
i dont have any evidence, im doing my usual trick of posting something really unfactual and contraversial to see how you pe0ns react...
There are at least six posters who do this far far better than you. (and don't get banned)
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:35   #11
-o|DarkJedi|o-

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
There are at least six posters who do this far far better than you. (and don't get banned)
There are probably many people far better at shagging than me, doesn't stop me doing it tho. (i wont)

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:55   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
There are probably many people far better at shagging than me

OH YES!
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 14:07   #13
-o|DarkJedi|o-

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
OH YES!
'probably'

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:17   #14
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this mean you could make a 'gay' virus?
Instead of biological weapons, terrorist could unleash gay onto the west?
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:22   #15
-o|DarkJedi|o-

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
Does this mean you could make a 'gay' virus?
Instead of biological weapons, terrorist could unleash gay onto the west?
perhaps its already happened.

apparently china has no homosexuality.....

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:25   #16
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
why cure something that does not involve you? if your child is happy with their sexuality then you should let them choose to be whatever they wanted. plus it doesn't make their quality of life worse, the onyl reason people would want it cured is because of their opinion
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:26   #17
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Did they carry out a survey on 1200000000 people?
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:28   #18
-o|DarkJedi|o-

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
Did they carry out a survey on 1200000000 people?
yes

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:34   #19
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

come on DJ even you can work out why that is

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:38   #20
-o|DarkJedi|o-

im kidding ffs

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 22:25   #21
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
If gay people are born with the wrong chromozomes, does this mean that scientists will eventually find a 'cure for gay'??

If this were possible, and with dna manipulation techniques increasing its likely, how should society view the future of homosexuality? And if you had a choice would you give your child the cure for gay or not?

Discuss..
Dunno, but if they do, let me know and I'll slip it into the drinks of a few of my ex's.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 23:05   #22
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
It's probably a bit of both, but there's certainly no reason why it can't be genetic.

I would assume that some people have genetic tendencies towards certain types of relationships, but these can be weakened or reinforced by cultural influences. This isn't really a scientific hypothesis, just what seems to be 'common sense'.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 00:05   #23
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
i would never *cure* my son from being gay cause i happen to find gay men very nice guys. I resent the fact ppl think its an illness...who are we to say whats normal and not?
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 02:48   #24
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
the gays say so.

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
How can it be in your chromosomes?

when two identical twins are born, one is gay, one isnt.

They share the same genes, chromosomes etc. So how can it be that?
i was not aware that in all sets of twins there was a gay half.

secondly, everyone agrees that it is possible to choose to be gay, so if there was an example of what you claim that could be an explanation.

third (for fun), many pairs of identicals aren't truly identical: one is the 'mirror image' of the other. so the inverse of heterosexual would be homosexual

unrelated, but when people talk about a 'gay gene' they tend to ignore the possibility that everyone has a gay gene, which only activates in some people.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 08:26   #25
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
I still find this odd....even IF it is genetic, why look upon it as something that could be cured? Being male or female or black or white or red-haired is also genetic and i dont see ppl saying that such a thing should be considered a disease and thus should or could be changed. Its a matter of looking at gayness. I dont find it a thing that should be changed.
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 08:35   #26
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob
It's probably a bit of both, but there's certainly no reason why it can't be genetic.
Homosexuality isnt an evolutionary stable strategy. Surely it would have "died out" before now if it was a purely genetic abnormality (even if you assume the rather implausible position that it survives due to homosexuals being 'forced' to act heterosexual as a result of social pressure, youre still left with the problem of homosexuality in non-human animals). I dont see any reason to assume that people arent naturally bisexual and that notions of sexuality arent generally socially conditioned to be honest.

Last edited by Nodrog; 2 Mar 2003 at 08:40.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 09:10   #27
StreeTMouseY
Critter Extraordinare

StreeTMouseY is an unknown quantity at this point
My ex girlfriend left me for a gay man so i dont like em

p.s. I dont care if peeps are gay or straight as long as they can order a beer and still make smart conversation with me.

MouseH

R3 - StreeTMouse of TheBigCheese - N00b
R4 - MiMiC of Terra Mistica - Legion
R5 - Mouse fatalle of CheeseLand -Xanadu
R6 - State of Mind - Critters, Legion
R7 - Property of |Queen-Doris| - Critters
R8 - Expect company of Hidden Hostile ships - Critters & OuZo (o)
StreeTMouseY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 10:20   #28
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Homosexuality isnt an evolutionary stable strategy. Surely it would have "died out" before now if it was a purely genetic abnormality (even if you assume the rather implausible position that it survives due to homosexuals being 'forced' to act heterosexual as a result of social pressure, youre still left with the problem of homosexuality in non-human animals). I dont see any reason to assume that people arent naturally bisexual and that notions of sexuality arent generally socially conditioned to be honest.
If heterosexuality is better than homosexuality (from a gene's perspective) then it is also better than bisexuality. Natural selection on genes always seems to lead to the conclusion that homosexuality "shouldn't" exist.

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting the answer to be. You dismissed "social pressure" as "implausible", then said that you can't see any reason why sexuality isn't "socially conditioned".

I am close to agreeing with you on the final point - I don't think that sexuality is purely determined by the genes. But I also don't see any reason why the genes couldn't give us a "bias" in favour of sex with certain types of people, with this being either reinforced or weakened by our social environment. In this case, it's not possible to "prevent" homosexuality through genetic engineering, but it would be possible to make it less likely.

Note: in my earlier post I should have said "genetically influenced", not just "genetic"
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 10:21   #29
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
something no one has mentioned is that homosexuality keeps the worlds population down which is a big doubleplusgood in my eyes.

i dont give a ****. Apart from reproduction, sex is for recreation. Different people do it different ways. There are of course, oral, anal etc. Why should anyone care if two guys like anal, or two girls like oral?

It seems to me that if every gay couple adopted a kid,we'd solve two problems in one; the rising population, and unwanted children being left in foster homes.

Too simplistic? Dunno.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 11:13   #30
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by StreeTMouseY
My ex girlfriend left me for a gay man so i dont like em
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 20:35   #31
Sub
Banned

I don't mind gays, as long as they only socialise with each other, not us normals.
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 20:42   #32
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
How can it be genetic, unless everybody has the gene?

Your parents can't be gay.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 20:51   #33
Sub
Banned

Whatever it is, it is totally abnormal, such that gays should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 21:40   #34
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
hmm

I've read that a part of the brain (i _think_ it's called the frontal cortex or something like that) controls sexual desires - this came up in a court case in america when someone had a brain tumour affecting this part of the brain that made them turn into a paedophile, and when it was removed their 'urges' returned to normal. If paedophilia can be decided by a subtle change in a section of the brain, who's to say that homosexuality can't?
Not that i'd endorse brain surgery to 'cure' homosexuality, but i don't know if anyone has actually tested whether this may have a link to homosexuality or not.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 21:56   #35
Danae
loved

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
How can it be genetic, unless everybody has the gene?

Your parents can't be gay.
Why not?
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 03:56   #36
Grind
aka Inubis

Grind is an unknown quantity at this point
OMG...

lol. . .

/me waves to danae

heh.
Round 2 - 55:22:15 [Reborn]
Round 3 - 55:22:15 (yes again) and 8:11:23 (yup i had two accounts. sue me)
Round 4 - 244:24:? [virus] [ft]
Round 5 - 28:22:? [nfu] [virus]
Round 6 - 13:11:13 [wrath] [silver] .:: W00T 33:9 FOREVER \O/ ::.
Round 7 - 14:11:7 [FLTV] [Heresy]
Round 8 - Inactive/Quit
Round 9 - 41:6:10 - bashed to ***** by te ;-)
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 06:35   #37
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice

Quote:

Discuss..
No, there's worse things than having a daughter who chows box and a son who sucks dick. I don't really care what my kids would do in bed as long as I don't walk in on it.

In any event I think people are pretty much bisexual with varying degrees of it. I think we all have it within ourselves to **** somebody of the same sex. Some people just have more inclination to actually act on it.

To bring a rather unscientific view to the table a better view of homosexuality (or at least my view not necessarily better) might be throwing out the whole concept of who someone ****s and instead who someone has intimacy with. Like saying Jane ****s both men and women however she only feels intimate with women, which makes her a homosexual. Some people may have the capacity to be intimate with both sexes, making them bisexual. This of course runs into it's own problems when you try to pinpoint what intimacy actually is. But it's my own working definition of sexuality, take it as you will.
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 09:15   #38
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Danae
Why not?
Because they had straight sex in order to have you born.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 10:25   #39
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
afaik, gay people have have black blood flowing in their veins pumped by a cold heart.

my daddy told me
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 11:30   #40
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:

Discuss..
I have moral objections pertaining to the connection of 'gay' with 'cure' as if it were some nasty disease.

Shame on you.

And the answer would naturally be, that if my child would be gay and he doesn't feel to happy with it, I will gladly help him to score this concoction I refuse to call cure.

If he/she is okay I'm not going to change stuff for them.
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 11:34   #41
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
hahhaha funniest thing i've read this year, so implying by your statement that gay people are somehow incapable of having sexual relations with members of the opposite sex?

Or are you implying something else?

Watch 3-sum
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 11:36   #42
ComradeRob
wasted

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
It's impossible for gay (or people with gay tendencies, at least) to have straight sex?

You're also missing out some fairly basic points of genetics. For example, there may be a gene which causes homosexuality (or an increased chance of homosexuality) which only works in men. It's possible that your mother carries this gene, though it has no effect on her. Another example of this is the fact that you're just as likely to inherit genes for penis size from your mother as from your father - those genes simply don't have the same effect on her as they would have on a male.

Therefore it's possible for your entirely heterosexual mother to pass on genes for homosexuality in males
Unread 3 Mar 2003, 12:56   #43
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
As usual a lot of people you have missed the whole love thing.
2 women meet, get on great, after a while this becomes affection, then things happen etc. Same situation with men I guess, although men are more driven by their sexual desires than women aparently, 'You men all think with your balls' etc, so its simply desire.

Genetic, yes its partly that.
Psychological, yes its partly that.
Social pressures, yes its partly that, although not very much.
Fashion, yes its partly that.

To answer the question, as will inevitable happen, we will get to chose some general genetics for our children at the zygote stage and no I would not chose for my child to be gay. The only people who would do this imo would be gay couples, and I would have to question their reasoning for this.

If changing your childs sexual preference, is going to make them psychologically traumatised then why would you do it? It would be like beating the gayness out of them, not a very nice thing to do.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote