User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Jun 2005, 00:05   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Happy Thread

Over the last few days, I've noticed a tendency for unwarranted negativity within the GD community. Whether it's floppy haired legal eagles glibly dismissing all and sundry, or pretentious jocks looking down on the aural productions of other cultures, it seems that several forums persona are content to share only their critical side with the community. We never have an opportunity to see their passionate and valuing nature - to find out what is dear to them, and gives them the will to continue living when despair sets in.

This thread is dedicated to positivity and the joys of life. Pick a topic that is dear to your heart, and take an opportunity to extoll its virtues. It doesnt have to be especially significant or lifechanging - one of the small things that raises a smile on an otherwise average day will be quite sufficient. Try to reflect some of the light it brings to your soul onto our darkened internet forum, and let us share in the value it brings to your life.

My topic is the moving stairs in London. Now, I'm a very impatient person and waiting for things frustrates me. I dont even like waiting for buses - rather than standing at a busstop, I will almost always try and walk to the next stop before the bus comes, simply because I'd rather risk missing it than standing still for 5 minutes. I get visibly agitated when waiting in long queues, and will normally walk away if I have to queue for more than a short time.

Moving stairs irritate me because people seem to view the motion as an excuse to stand still. Rather than walking up them and getting to the top twice as fast, they often prefer standing still and allowing the magic of electricity to do the work. Now, if one individual does this then it isnt a problem because I can walk round them, but what generally happens is that there are several people on the stairs, all standing still and blocking my progress. This is incredibly frustrating, because it means I also have to stand still and wait to reach the top. But in London, there seems to have evolved a 'stairs convention' that I havent seen anywhere else. It works like this - if you are one of the people who doesnt like walking up moving stairs, you stand on the right hand side. This leaves a big space on the left for people like me to move past you. There is no need to fight your way through a throng of people - no matter how many stationary bodies are on the stairs, they will all stand on the right. I've become so accustomed to this, that I forget how brilliant it is until I return to edinburgh and witness the depressing sight of a mass of immobile people all sprawled out on the stairs, with no gaps to move past them. London is cool.

Last edited by Nodrog; 29 Jun 2005 at 00:14.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 00:17   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Happy Thread

tl;dr

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 00:18   #3
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i enjoy going down to the beach in the evening. this is a time when no one is around, and i can relax, cool off and be at peace, looking out on the beautiful vast open space of the harbour in front of me, undisturbed. I have taken this place for granted for a long time, then i left for university and realised how vital it was for me to have such a space on my doorstep. It truly is a fantastic place for me, and I feel priveleged to live near it.

sittin on the dock of the bay, watchin the time roll away. That's my positive thing in life.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 00:59   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
tl;dr
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 01:09   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm going to write about go.

not quite the same kind of cute little thing that nod was talking about, but nm.

For those who don't know what it is, here is a link.

Anyway, I started playing this game about one and a half years ago, and although I have had some pretty serious breaks with it, I kept going and trying to improve. These breaks were mostly caused this year by not having internet access, which is a shame. The game originally comes from china, and is pretty much their equivalent to chess (forget shogi) in that it is a well respected logical intellectual game.

The reason i love it so much is that it gives me something to use the logical half of my brain on, and its lots and lots of fun. The basic premise is to secure territory with stones, but im not going to explain the whole set of rules here; just think of it as chess but much more complicated, and giving you much more freedom, and you will have some idea of the thought processes involved.

Its also unique to almost every other game that i play in that as I get better (so far) then the game has seemed even more amazing and interesting. As soon as you understand up to a certain level, you can begin to appreciate how good players much better than you are. The rift is simply too great to comphrehend when you aren't very good. This is quite different from other games where (I find) that as soon as you get anywhere near "good" then you simply get better at exploiting stupid weaknesses in the system, rather than just understanding it more deeply.

One more fantastic point about go, the best AI is still FAR FAR worse than the best human player; hell, even im better than the best AI afaik. This isn't even through lack of trying, it is simply that computers cannot handle the mechanics or the pattern recognition that is needed to play it well. This makes me believe that it is a game superbly well suited to the human brain and psyche, and should be played lots

I'm sorry if any of this seemed rambling, or if i was unclear, but it is very hard to explain exactly WHY i like it so much. It's one of those things i can't really explain, which only makes me like it more

oh, and kudos to anyone who actually read this silly monologue about a fantastic subject, and anyone who hasnt started playing already, i strongly urge you to do so.

It makes me happy at least.

edit: I forgot to mention, the online community is the friendliest i have ever come across in over 10 years of using the internet. Which has to count for something

Last edited by Deepflow; 29 Jun 2005 at 01:55.
Deepflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 01:26   #6
Spiderman

Irritating the fck out of the people on here makes me happy, and this is very dear to my heart.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 04:11   #7
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I enjoy talking to people and finding out more about them. That's why I keep coming back to GD. I originally came here because of a thread that had to do with my work but found that there was a lot of entertainment in the various threads. I have found out some things I didn't know before and that's always pleasant. Even when someone gets on a rant is usually fun to see. Getting to go on occasional rants myself with nothing worse than the occasional red blob happening to me is also very satisfying.

It's been enjoyable to share the joy of those who have excelled in their schooling. To share in the joy that comes with the purchase of a new home. Of feeling a part of something. It all makes me smile as I type and read.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 06:17   #8
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

my social service will end tomorrow which means only 2 days to work. i am generally happy about it, since monotony and adn routine defined my job there so far. on the other hand i know that i will me some ppl as it was a nice experience to accompany multiple-disabled ppl. i cant express exactly why but i know that i will enjoy my last 2 day since i am in a good "base mood".

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 10:36   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Before I start, deepflow, where can I learn to and play go online?

Right, what I like is something very specific to this time of year, I like my hammock. It's such an awesome place to be, under some trees in the shade, and it's good for relaxing.
But why is it better than just lying on a blanket, I hear you cry (but weather the crying is a shout of interest or tears of tedium I can't really tell)?
Well, the answer is simple, you can swing, the rocking is great, and it pretty much is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 10:40   #10
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Moving stairs irritate me because people seem to view the motion as an excuse to stand still. Rather than walking up them and getting to the top twice as fast, they often prefer standing still and allowing the magic of electricity to do the work. Now, if one individual does this then it isnt a problem because I can walk round them, but what generally happens is that there are several people on the stairs, all standing still and blocking my progress. This is incredibly frustrating, because it means I also have to stand still and wait to reach the top. But in London, there seems to have evolved a 'stairs convention' that I havent seen anywhere else. It works like this - if you are one of the people who doesnt like walking up moving stairs, you stand on the right hand side. This leaves a big space on the left for people like me to move past you. There is no need to fight your way through a throng of people - no matter how many stationary bodies are on the stairs, they will all stand on the right. I've become so accustomed to this, that I forget how brilliant it is until I return to edinburgh and witness the depressing sight of a mass of immobile people all sprawled out on the stairs, with no gaps to move past them. London is cool.
it does exist in other places too, notably Tokyo. This is probably something to do with large cities where people do actually need to get from place to place in a reasonable time.

interesting fact about the Tokyo underground. In London the emergency stop button is actually a button that you press, often situated right at the ends of the escalators, or on the longer examples intermittently along the escalators* however in Tokyo, the emergency stop is actually a panel the whole length of the escalator at about foot height.

I did not know this.

I tapped it with my foot.

the escalator breaks to a halt and a bunch of people fall over (but not down the stairs to their deaths fortunately.

oops.

*they are also diamond shaped and encased in metal to stop you sliding down the surface between adjacent escalators.

oh btw Nod, do you have one of those chip cardy things that they are handing out for season tickets in london now? I have heard people encase them in things like Jacket potatoes and such.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 10:52   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
But in London, there seems to have evolved a 'stairs convention' that I havent seen anywhere else. It works like this - if you are one of the people who doesnt like walking up moving stairs, you stand on the right hand side. This leaves a big space on the left for people like me to move past you.
I've also seen that in Germany (Hamburg, specifically). It's staggeringly useful.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 12:00   #12
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I've also seen that in Germany (Hamburg, specifically). It's staggeringly useful.
maybe the scots are just primitive savages?

Unread 29 Jun 2005, 12:15   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I did mean to say that my parents have told me this since i was like 4 or 5, and you all clearly werent brought up properly.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 12:26   #14
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
moving stairs.
I'm confused as to why you chose not to refer to them as escalators.

Last edited by Stew; 29 Jun 2005 at 13:32. Reason: Cinfused!?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 12:38   #15
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I'm cinfused as to why you chose not to refer to them as escalators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
maybe the scots are just primitive savages?

Unread 29 Jun 2005, 12:38   #16
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm most at home in geek territory. I'm not usually smiling unless I'm fixing, programming, modifying or hacking something. I can't help it, I'm simply driven to find out how things work.

Equally geeky I've been getting insane amounts of pleasure at drawing a few friends together to play Mario Party 6.

On the not so geeky side I've also got my stick fighting. All my life I've been fascinated with swords and sword fighting, all these ninja and kung fu movies inspired me with awe. There's so few ways to gain the practicle knowledge and handling for such things though until I discovered stick fighting. Now yes, it is with sticks, but it can be applied to anything, I just find the whole thing beautiful like an artform. Most nights I return home battered and bruised licking my wounds, but damn I couldn't be smiling more if I tried. I seem to enjoy it in a Fight Club kind of way.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 13:06   #17
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts

Is busstop really one word?
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 13:57   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
Before I start, deepflow, where can I learn to and play go online?
KGS is is the server which we all use, that link also has a good tutorial that teaches you the basic rules.

Senseis is the best place to learn to play better online, at least for beginners.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 23:08   #19
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

speaking of escalators, I was in a department store in DC and I saw an escalator that had a separate 'lane' for shopping carts. Brilliant! I was wondering if I was living in some backwater, because it seemed like such an obvious thing but I've never seen it before.

Sitting on a porch in Oakland is my happy thought. Porches are great. Especially in the summer. With beer. In an area populated entirely by college students ('he must work out'). This is big because we've just moved into a new place, and it has a great front porch all to ourselves.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 23:33   #20
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
Sitting on a porch in Oakland is my happy thought.
Which Oakland? Maryland? Virginia?

When I was young, the first escalator to come to our town was a sensation among the kids. The store that had it was about two blocks from the movie theater where all of the kids films were shown. We would leave the show when it was over and flood down to the department stoor and ride the escalator until the store people finally threw us out. It was so narrow that only one person could stand on any one step.
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 23:48   #21
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
On the not so geeky side I've also got my stick fighting. All my life I've been fascinated with swords and sword fighting, all these ninja and kung fu movies inspired me with awe. There's so few ways to gain the practicle knowledge and handling for such things though until I discovered stick fighting. Now yes, it is with sticks, but it can be applied to anything, I just find the whole thing beautiful like an artform. Most nights I return home battered and bruised licking my wounds, but damn I couldn't be smiling more if I tried. I seem to enjoy it in a Fight Club kind of way.
This interests me a great deal, where could one learn such 'stick fightling' ?
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 23:50   #22
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I really hope he's talking about Kendo.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:02   #23
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I really hope he's talking about Kendo.
ugh, not kendo. there are far more useful arts out there. Kendo seemed to me of making sure that your gear is all correctly fastened, then screaming MEN! or KOTE! before attempting to hit someone with a stick.

once.

it's not like there is any decent actual swordfighting in it with blocks, parries and so on.

Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:17   #24
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Kid606, Prince Paul, Mr Lif and DJ Shadow have done it for me this week. In particular finding about new artist and new albums by artists I already know. Music makes me happy.

Learning new programming techniques makes me happy. I recently learnt the command-line parsing function the C library has. This will come in useful and hopefully aid me in creating something cool in future times.

Reading new open-source and/or taoist philosophy makes me happy. I also read an article where George Lucas was taking about a massive change in the way films are distributed. He linked this in a change in society. In this regard perhaps the re-emergence of local film production will emerge. This linked with open-source ways of doing things not just in the computing sector make me happy. Also, buying organic food and food from local producers fits in to this section. Patents make me sad.

The stupid amount people are willing to pay for my goods on ebay is also making me happy.

My increased health is making me happy. Along with an increased clarity of thought.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:23   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
This interests me a great deal, where could one learn such 'stick fightling' ?
Well, I do Doce Pares Eskrima. You might have to hunt around your local area to see if there are any instructors. I'm privilidged in the fact that we have two Masters in my home town.

You need to be careful because there are a lot of fakes around claiming to be Masters and Grandmasters, the site actually has a list of acknowledged instructers for different countries as a guide.

There are also many variations of Eskrima but Doce Pares I feel is the most effective system. It has also been referred to as Kali in some places, but from what I've seen it's a radically different system again.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 11:15   #26
Radical Edward

Chocolate makes me happy. mmmmmmm chocolate.

Unread 30 Jun 2005, 16:48   #27
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

gin, fizz, caviar and fags.

any order will do.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 17:00   #28
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

fizz?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 17:10   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

champers, bubbly, 1996 preferably.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 17:20   #30
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The Happy Thread

Quote:
Over the last few days, I've noticed a tendency for unwarranted negativity within the GD community.
Over the last few years, I've noticed unwarranted negativity from you.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 18:26   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didn't read it, but I'll be happy

Unread 30 Jun 2005, 18:27   #32
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

btw, I'm happy because today, on the Metro, I was reminded how sexy women with big tits and very short hair are. \0/
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 18:40   #33
dda
USS Oklahoma

Deep fried asparagus.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 18:42   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Deep fried asparagus.
dear lord what?

a creation so perverse that surely only the scottish could even imagine it.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 18:46   #35
dda
USS Oklahoma

Deep fried Scotts.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:20   #36
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

yawhe, it seems you can probably answer this. What do I distill to make gin?
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:25   #37
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
both kinds am i rite?
i realise some people feel this is the pot calling the kettle black, but HONEST TO GOD PLEASE STOP POSTING SUCH COMPLETE SHIT.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:30   #38
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i realise some people feel this is the pot calling the kettle black, but HONEST TO GOD PLEASE STOP POSTING SUCH COMPLETE SHIT.
maybe next week. jesus, the gay's of GD need to loosen up and stop being so uptight. heavens to bets i never thought i'd say this, but you guys really need to take a leaf out of MMs book and GET A SENSE OF HUMOUR
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:39   #39
dda
USS Oklahoma

Is this still the happy thread?
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:47   #40
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

so how do i make a distillable product from Juniper berries?
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 23:49   #41
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

does anyone remember the cartoon Juniper Jungle? those were the days...
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 21:27   #42
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Is this still the happy thread?
This has become the kind of thread your mother wanted to get you away from when she sent you to live with your aunty and your uncle in a town called Bel Air.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 22:07   #43
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Well I asked my friendd Mr Google and mrs Wiki and they threw up.
An understandable reaction.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 08:01   #44
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
This has become the kind of thread your mother wanted to get you away from when she sent you to live with your aunty and your uncle in a town called Bel Air.
did you pull up there about seven or eight and yell to the cabbie, "yo ho, smell you later"?

Unread 4 Jul 2005, 10:18   #45
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is getting off track - I think we need to get back in the happy mood.

I like to smile pleasantly and greet people I pass, just to see their reactions. I love the way you can't always tell how people will react from cold reading - occasionally sombody who looks very introverted and unpleasant will turn out to be very forthcoming and pleasant indeed. Children are fatastic - their reactions are so untamed. They either smile to the point that they are pracically laughing, look really confused, or, if you are really lucky, they pull a funny face at you. I once had a funny face competition witha 5 year old girl I was passing on the street.
People in cars are good too - no matter how much you smile at them, they always look discusted. I think being in a car must kind of make you feel seperate from the outside world, and people don't apreciate you breaching the barrier.
I've also made several freinds through this method, and they're all fairly likeminded people.

I once wore a 'FREE HUGS' sign about town for a day. I got some funny looks, from some large, particularily scary skinheads, but I also made a number of longterm freinds in one day. Of course, I also got a lot of hugs, which is nice. One builder even made a crap joke: "Who's hugs, and how long is he in for?"... cringworthy, but enjoyable.

I suppose I enjoy breifly meeting lots of people, and just seeing how they react. People rock.

EDIT: I love you sig, Radical Edward. Cracks me up.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 10:30   #46
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoo
EDIT: I love you sig, Radical Edward. Cracks me up.
I think it was an important factor in the Conservatives losing the last election

Unread 4 Jul 2005, 10:31   #47
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

-Driving on Pacific Coast Highway, the sun setting with the calm waves of the beautiful Pacific, and my stereo blasting Dave Matthews Band.
-Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese Food, In and Out burgers and a Filet Mignon dinner medium rare topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions in brown gravy
-My Ibanez Acoustic with Fishman pickups, my jet black Epiphone Les Paul, and my Marshall Solid State 100 watt guitar amp
-Marlboro Lights after sex
-Starbucks

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 11:03   #48
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

too messy
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 15:32   #49
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
did you pull up there about seven or eight and yell to the cabbie, "yo ho, smell you later"?
I WISH!
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 06:24   #50
dda
USS Oklahoma

Deep fried asperagus in tempura batter. In and Out Burger is also very good but their fries suck. Baseball. Hot Dogs. Apple Pie. Anything which doesn't require goose fat.