User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 04:59   #1
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold
A Retro Round of PA

I propose a suggestion to have a retro round of PA. What would that hurt? The core playerbase more than likely agree with it. Its what most of us fell in love with. maybe it will bring some people back maybe it won't, but it definitley will not hurt to have a retro round. What do you think?
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 05:19   #2
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Re: A Retro Round of PA

I'm against it to be honest. I prefer the game as it currently is. I'd just love to have private galaxies back, even if only for one round.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 05:37   #3
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

itll bring back some odd, some of them, really baaad.. undeniably weird.. memories..

*sigh* /me reminisces.. hmm maybe we should!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 08:11   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people have been wanting to go back to pre-PaX PA. One of the problems with that is: the old code is no longer available. And I don't see them recode it all.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 10:27   #5
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

i want pa as it is nowadays. some fixes here and there but still i prefer the new style - nowadays.

didnt like it in the start but its quite ok now.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 11:11   #6
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I am not saying revert back. I am saying have one round, and one round only retro.
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 12:13   #7
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

I'd be for, old pa > than new, though both are/were very enjoyable.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 13:29   #8
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
I propose a suggestion to have a retro round of PA. What would that hurt? The core playerbase more than likely agree with it. Its what most of us fell in love with. maybe it will bring some people back maybe it won't, but it definitley will not hurt to have a retro round. What do you think?
maybe a speed round?

might have the desired effect of bringing some ppl back to play the old version who end up carrying on, if not it would still be fun
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 14:25   #9
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

As much as many of us would like to see a one off round of retro pa (I assume you mean pre-rd6) it would require a team of developers to rebuild the database and undo all the changes over each round to the code.
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 15:34   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

PA r1-3 would be good. R6 onwards (till pax then paxi etc) most people have played to death in Pla-netia, and trust me, if you do go back to that format for a nostalgic round, you would definitely not get as much of a turnout as for a r2/3 format.

But to be perfectly honest, I play pa as it is, because it's different, the other games are all boring because we've all played it for so many rounds now, and oh so bored (personally anyhow) of it.
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 15:43   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

old pa code is available, if you know where to look. however, i'm not quite sure of the value of running an old style round - wouldn't people just play pia as it's the same and free?

-mist
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 15:55   #12
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think an old style round of PA would probally just undo all the hardwork that has gone into 'improving' the playing numbers since PAX. Old style PA isnt suited to p2p one bit as without then large numbers that old style Pa has before p2p it simply means the top players have too much control over the fun of the lower players. PAX style while far from perfect is a massive improvement on this and it as alot more accessable for smaller players and new players coming in
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 18:48   #13
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

a old skool round would be nice too indeed
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 01:22   #14
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

A round of PA as it was in Round 1 would be amazing..

But I doubt it will come to pass...

Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 12:10   #15
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

hehe r2 was funny.
I would just like to keep the memories
That was a loverly game at the time because it was new now its just like pac man and sensible soccer you might play it for a day remembering how good it was then just feeling dissapointed after that half hour of smiling.
Keep it in the attic were it belongs

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 12:19   #16
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
old pa code is available, if you know where to look. however, i'm not quite sure of the value of running an old style round - wouldn't people just play pia as it's the same and free?

-mist
indeed, hence any set-up between r1-3 would be good, most people have played myphppa versions of r4 etc.

Ofcourse I would prefer a r1-3 set-up without the constant crashes or bugs. But really, only a nostalgic speedround or a short round with 1hr ticks would be good as like others said, it';s best to leave it as glorious as we remember it in our memories than diminishing those memories.
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 14:46   #17
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
indeed, hence any set-up between r1-3 would be good, most people have played myphppa versions of r4 etc.

Ofcourse I would prefer a r1-3 set-up without the constant crashes or bugs. But really, only a nostalgic speedround or a short round with 1hr ticks would be good as like others said, it';s best to leave it as glorious as we remember it in our memories than diminishing those memories.
The problem is as others have said and ive said in the past even with the same code and same stats these brounds simply couldnt be reproduced. The way the net was and the way this community was were perfect for the makeup of the game . It would destroy our memories of the round if we tried to reproduce it as it would pretty much go down the route of a r6-r9. the rounds fun was all community based rather than game based and fury/legion/rb changed the community in r3 with their 'cheating' to get private galaxies and it was changed even more in r4 when everyone got private galaxies in r4 and once again when it went p2p in r5.

Every round since the community has moved further and further away from where it was in r2 and its gonna take more than the return of code and stats to get a round that vaugly resembles r2
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 18:14   #18
ThunderCat
P.I.M.P.Of.Mistu.Net

ThunderCat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i say bring back full priv gals and 3 tick attacking
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 18:57   #19
Rocklobster[Dok]
Victuri te Salutant

Rocklobster[Dok] is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCat
i say bring back full priv gals and 3 tick attacking
I just have one more thing to add, bring back my wyverns!!!!

Rock

A regular day on the lego server:
<Alf> We are Gren's bitches.. we should be proud to hump his legs
<Alf> wanna swap legs Nexus?
<Alf> This leg of Gren is smooth.. but I like some hair now
<Nexus> sure m8
<Nexus> i want the shaven now
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:02   #20
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

And old style clippers with t3 all
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 05:22   #21
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
The problem is as others have said and ive said in the past even with the same code and same stats these brounds simply couldnt be reproduced. The way the net was and the way this community was were perfect for the makeup of the game . It would destroy our memories of the round if we tried to reproduce it as it would pretty much go down the route of a r6-r9. the rounds fun was all community based rather than game based and fury/legion/rb changed the community in r3 with their 'cheating' to get private galaxies and it was changed even more in r4 when everyone got private galaxies in r4 and once again when it went p2p in r5.

Every round since the community has moved further and further away from where it was in r2 and its gonna take more than the return of code and stats to get a round that vaugly resembles r2

clearly wasted on em ...

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 20:39   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Using the old code would be bad for numerous reasons - its was buggy, the admin tools were very poor. So the way to do it would be to code it on top of the current game which really isn;t something that is possible in the forseable future.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread