User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Apr 2005, 11:37   #1
~RevictioN~
Reborn

~RevictioN~ is infamous around these parts
[Discuss]Research

Why not make research like engeneering.

You get a choice between which new technology to research the most and which to research the least.

Ships
ETA
Construction capacity
Co-op
Core
Roids

You can have 3 different research options and spread them out among diferent res.

1. Ships ( -20% Research )
2. Roids ( -10% Research )
3. ETA ( -5% Research )

or you could have all 3 choices the same when you need to research somthing real bad

2. Ships ( -10% Research )
3. Ships ( -5% Research )

make it so that your researching all technologys at 1 time. So whatever you prioritise will beh done before everything else and when its done you can switch to next option. Also take out the Research Center or make it a Construction that if 20% enables this option.

Anyways would add alot to first 100 ticks more diverse universe and alot of different strategys depending on your race and tech plan.
Conviction, Courage, Control
~RevictioN~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 13:04   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: [Discuss]Research

Hmm, the first thing that springs to mind is that everything is going to be completed eventually, including useless research like Covert Ops. This will increase the proliferation of this annoying little tool and more people will be able to breach my 100 alert status and kill my roids every time :\ .

I suggested a similar proposal in This Post, which imo would be a good compromise between prioritising research but not as radical as your proposal .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 14:24   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Hmm, the first thing that springs to mind is that everything is going to be completed eventually, including useless research like Covert Ops. This will increase the proliferation of this annoying little tool and more people will be able to breach my 100 alert status and kill my roids every time :\ .

I suggested a similar proposal in This Post, which imo would be a good compromise between prioritising research but not as radical as your proposal .
its rather easy to be immune from covert ops u know

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 14:27   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RevictioN~
Why not make research like engeneering.

You get a choice between which new technology to research the most and which to research the least.

Ships
ETA
Construction capacity
Co-op
Core
Roids

You can have 3 different research options and spread them out among diferent res.

2. Roids ( -10% Research )
3. ETA ( -5% Research )

or you could have all 3 choices the same when you need to research somthing real bad

2. Ships ( -10% Research )
3. Ships ( -5% Research )

make it so that your researching all technologys at 1 time. So whatever you prioritise will beh done before everything else and when its done you can switch to next option. Also take out the Research Center or make it a Construction that if 20% enables this option.

Anyways would add alot to first 100 ticks more diverse universe and alot of different strategys depending on your race and tech plan.
I actually like this a lot, it makes for a more natural and relaxed system. What i'd do though is go for a complete redesign of the tech tree at the same time though.

One thing that might be very useful with this is that everyone would get scanning technologies, just some a bit before others. This would then nicly allow for a complete overhual of scans and the ideas of scan planets, gallaxy funds and alliance funds.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 14:51   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The one problem I have with an idea like this is that with engeneering its very much an auto piloit feature. You set it and then leave it for a large amount of time and I fear this would be the same. You might make a chance every 48 hours max . Now while reducing the amount of activity is good from one pov at the same time its bad as people dont have to be around which has a knock on effect in other areas.

If the game does go in such a way I'd personally like some kind of comprise (havent read Sovereign's one yet I dont think) so that it doesnt become too much of somthing players just leave would be timeouts where new orders would ahve to be given. If you dont give them then for the time in between the 'workers' would continue on the current ones at a reduced efficiency (or would maybe work on all of themsplit evenenly but at a max of 60% of whats totally available)

Quote:
and alliance funds.
I hope that will include my idea on Alliance funds and leaving an alliance as its still something that annoys me. I'm dont blame members be lured by the bigger alliances but the fact the smaller alliances lose a valuable player and get nothing back for the time and effort they have put into this player is a kick in the teeth,. Is even worse when you have paid for this player and they walk out (or bullied out by their galaxy ) as the alliances they end up joining only consider them because of the credit you gave them. Now if the player had to pay you to get out (with a reduced wait time to join someone else of 48 hours) or the alliance he wanted to join paid a bit more to buy them out (for a wait time of something like 8 hours before automiatically joininga nd being accepted in the other alliance. Wait just to stop defence being 'bought') then a member leaving would give something back to the alliance and would allow the alliance to now reinvest in a new player
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 23:02   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

This would reduce the importance of making strategical choices. I do agree however that I'd prefer to see everybody get scans to reduce the need for scanplanets. (But that's just because of my dislike of scanplanets.)
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2005, 03:57   #7
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Simultaneous res/cons is the future.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2005, 07:15   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
(havent read Sovereign's one yet I dont think)
Please do so. I am interested to know what you have to say.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 03:22   #9
~RevictioN~
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
This would reduce the importance of making strategical choices. I do agree however that I'd prefer to see everybody get scans to reduce the need for scanplanets. (But that's just because of my dislike of scanplanets.)
this does not cut down on strategical planning as what you prioritise will beh the same as now prioritising ships vs roids i think its a good change and as far as needing to beh less active i doubt it as to use this to the fullest potential when your res is done youll need to beh there that tick to change to another priority so you maximize your researches
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 03:25   #10
~RevictioN~
Reborn

btw Kal go ahead and put on approved as this is the future as cochese said =)
Unread 1 May 2005, 11:44   #11
~RevictioN~
Reborn

I read soverign's post and its a nce thought but still to limited in my veiw as more then likely there will beh a "BEST" way to res things. I agree with Kal that Tech tree gets revamped maybe a bit longer res times to make up for all res ticking at the same time, This might not beh needed if you take away the -20% RES time added by Res centres.

+++NEW IDEA+++

The idea is basically the research centres each have a value of -5% of research. You can Assign which Branch of the tree you want the research Centre to focus on with a max of -50% on any 1 reserach branch. Each planet starts out with 7 Base research Centres ( 1 centre for each of the branches ), 21 max res centres + 7 base = -140% = -20% on each res branch.

so a person with 10 constucted res centres + the 7 base could have. -85% research time.

ETA = -20% 4 Research Centres
Struct = -5% 1 Research Centre
Ships = -20% 4 Research Centres
Scans = -10% 2 Reserach Centres
Covop = -5% 1 Research Centre
Core = -5% 1 Reserach Centre
Roids = -20% 4 Research Centres
Totals = -85% 17 Research Centres

This might beh taken it a bit to far but when actually thinking about what a reserach Centre is it kinda makes since that they should bring some sort of -research% and the more you have the more you should beh able to reserach. I feel the capp at -50% keeps it so you cant put all -140%(Max - res % ) to 1 branch and kinda defeat the purpose. I feel -140% max is a good number as you can get enuff to put -20% res on all 7 or the branches.

This idea is a bit more radical then the first but struck meh while thinking of the first post.
Unread 1 May 2005, 11:46   #12
~RevictioN~
Reborn

I want to add that you could at the start put all 7 base res centres into 1 research.