User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:51   #1
Lord Skar
hitch hiker

Lord Skar is an unknown quantity at this point
X-factor

I heard a lot of ppl saying the X-factor in scans is too annying (most when scanning BS-incs...) So how about letting the X-factor depend on how many amps you got more than you target got distorders...

like if you got the same amount = high X-factor
twise the amps = no X-factor

also opens to being able to scan targets with more dists.. ex with a 75-100% X-factor???

makes it worth the while to leep building either...
Lord Skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 23:46   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: X-factor

interesting idea

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:20   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Terrible idea. This forces people to rely on scanners.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:46   #4
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

People allready rely on scanners

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:47   #5
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Besides, you could make it random but with the factor. So if you have 1 amp, the window of distortion = 25% (there could also be a lower amp/dist ratio which is possible to scan with). And the better amps you have the more acurate it gets.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 01:04   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

the fact that the system is already broken seems a terrible reason to break it further
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 09:47   #7
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
interesting idea
agreed
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 13:42   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
agreed
justify it.

-mist
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 17:18   #9
Gerbie
pe0n

First of all I belive distorters are much too powerfull atm.

Without good scanners an alliance cannot function. I dislike the fact that people need to sacrifice their chances of doing well for the good of their alliance. Ofc there's always people who like to be usefull while not being able to play seriously themselves. But in smaller alliances it's usually people sacrificing themselves for their alliance. That is bad.

This would make distorters usefull, but not so powerfull a player cannot attack a decent target without the help of a scanner.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 19:52   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

i agree that alliance scanners are a bad thing.

however, afaik it takes just as much time to build blockers as it does amps. therefore, the planet with the blockers has sacrificed just as much as anyone building the amps to scan them (don't you need more blockers than amps, hence they've had to sacrifices more?). therefore, i think the solution to your 'sacrifice' problem lies in making mass scanning less feasable so that everyone has to build amps if they want to scan people with blockers. as such i'm not at all convinced by your argument.

also, this idea encouages scanners rather than discouraging them, so your argument seems to shoot itself in the foot.

-mist
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 20:27   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

I find myself at a loss to understand why people consider Alliance Scanners a bad thing ?

It is a valid tactic for all alliances to allow there agressive players the freedom to build ships while others take care of the scanning/covops/defence.

It is after all a Team game
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 22:08   #12
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i agree that alliance scanners are a bad thing.

however, afaik it takes just as much time to build blockers as it does amps. therefore, the planet with the blockers has sacrificed just as much as anyone building the amps to scan them (don't you need more blockers than amps, hence they've had to sacrifices more?).
Yes, the planet with the distorters also made a sacrifice in order not to get attacked all the time. I think this idea will make distorters slightly less usefull, hence making it less attracktive for people to build them, making the game a bit more of a wargame and less of a sim-game.
Quote:
therefore, i think the solution to your 'sacrifice' problem lies in making mass scanning less feasable so that everyone has to build amps if they want to scan people with blockers. as such i'm not at all convinced by your argument.
It might not be sufficient to make scan-planets no longer a must-have for all alliances. I support other alternatives.
Quote:

also, this idea encouages scanners rather than discouraging them, so your argument seems to shoot itself in the foot.

-mist
I disagree, but it also comes down to the way it is implemented. It could be implemented in a way this work very well or the implementation could ruin the entire idea.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 23:23   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

if you make it so that more amps means less randomness then people will want their scans done with the maximum number of amps, which will naturally lead to them wanting scan planets.

how do you think it makes scan planets less neccessary?

also, if you want to stop people using distorters i think you should simply remove them and solve the problem that way. making them less useful, without deminishing the time they take to build will turn them in to a newbie trap
-mist
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 12:08   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

it makes scanners less neccessary but more useful - you would be able to scan someone with fewer amps than you would need now, so the small alliances might at least have a clue as to what some evil person with loads of amps has - of course its still better to have more amps as perhaps it should be otherwise not much point in having amps at all, but this would probably help the smaller alliances while having litle affect on the large alliances

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Jan 2005, 13:29   #15
mist
Jolt's best friend

i disagree, if you're going to do this you might as well just remove the random factor and be done with it
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 14:30   #16
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Random factor doesn't matter much anyways cause if you attack you usually send more than you need anyways, it usually only makes a small dif and you can gues since most people have even numbers of ships (rounded of to 100's, 1000's etc. So with 2-3 unitscans you know with decent certainty what he has, or with such a small margin it doesn't matter.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 16:02   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

change scanning so the ratio of distorters:amps changes the accuracy.
% random factor = amps/ distorters.
% random factor is something like:
1 =< (10*distorters)/amps =< 100
(i.e. distorters can be anywhere between 0.1x and 10x as big as amps)
This means that when distorters = amps, interference = 10%.
It would also mean less scan planets etc, as once you get 1 amp you can always scan to some extent. Then it just becomes a matter of the scan technologies.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 9 Jan 2005 at 16:26. Reason: worked it out.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 16:24   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
Random factor doesn't matter much anyways cause if you attack you usually send more than you need anyways, it usually only makes a small dif and you can gues since most people have even numbers of ships (rounded of to 100's, 1000's etc. So with 2-3 unitscans you know with decent certainty what he has, or with such a small margin it doesn't matter.
A lot of people don't send that much more than necessary. If you take into account possible scan % variations and defence you'll send twice as many ships, completely overkilling targets.
This is when overkilling people 40% your value occurs
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 10:15   #19
Lord Skar
hitch hiker

Any chance to get a poll on this??
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 10:19   #20
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Skar
on what? keeping or ditching the random distortions in scans?
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 10:27   #21
Lord Skar
hitch hiker

yep
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:41   #22
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of distorters and make ppl buy waves instead again like the old days.
Whats the point in having instant scans to use as you like.
having to buy them in advance first was a lot better.
And i always have 500k of each resource available for scans but having to pay for them would i spend all that on scans?
I dunno.
But get rid of amps and distorters someone can always scan for you unless there a noob and are just fooked anyways coz u just get bashed. No Amps and Distorters then everyone can scan for themselves and use them resources up them selves.
Stupid idea i know but i dont care thats just my opinion.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 14:20   #23
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Skar
polls on these forums are utterly meaningless.

-mist
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 16:52   #24
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
polls on these forums are utterly meaningless.

-mist
Come up with a better way of sampling the opinion of pa players then. Maybe a poll on the portal?
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:31   #25
mist
Jolt's best friend

i'm going to refer you to awakey on why the opinion of the majority is also largely worthless
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 10:19   #26
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

kepp the x-factor...i think its better to have a randomness to scans than actually knowing what they have....its more fun

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:16   #27
mist
Jolt's best friend

yes, because blatant luck makes the game more skillful.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:28   #28
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i couldnt quite tell if this post was scarcasm or not...

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:34   #29
mist
Jolt's best friend

they don't have a frothing at the mouth smiley :/
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 20:18   #30
Kal
Inactive peon

I can see and understand both sides of this which is better I do not yet know

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 1 Feb 2005, 10:30   #31
Kal
Inactive peon

Re: [Discuss] X-factor in scans

from talking to people in the biger alliances they justtend to ginore the uncertianties in scans and add 10% onto everything, so maybe we shoudl just get rid of uncertainty...

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 1 Feb 2005, 10:45   #32
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
from talking to people in the biger alliances they justtend to ginore the uncertianties in scans and add 10% onto everything, so maybe we shoudl just get rid of uncertainty...
No, the uncertainty is good. People do make mistakes due to it.
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 11:02   #33
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
No, the uncertainty is good. People do make mistakes due to it.
which people though is the question

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 1 Feb 2005, 13:05   #34
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
which people though is the question
Why does that matter?
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 13:33   #35
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
how? blatant luck is the same a throwing a dice. Pure luck, no skill required. On the other hand, if there was a way to predict the outcome of a dice by the way you throw it, then skill would be required: throwing skill.

luck -> less skill

as i usually say with suggestions, you must think what the overall consequences are when you change something about the game.

Ok, here is my analysis:

More random/x-factor in the scanning process (no matter how it is implemented): more chance you will get a succesfull scan on people with high dists compared to their amps. So what happens? people will all save more resources to keep trying to scan. Repeated scanning -> success eventually. This wil benefit larger players more, as they can more easily afford to save resources.

No random/x-factor: nothing changes. People with more dists will have less other structures. People who want to have a good chance of success -> also less other structures.

Imho, changing the scanning method simply requires slightly other way of playing, but nothing drastically changes in the game. More random -> more luck -> less skill & more surprises.

And some1 (gerbie i think) asked: why do people think alliance scanners are a bad thing? I don't think its bad. They make alliances run smoothly. If you are not part of an alliancem, you are either in trouble, or you must spend more on distorters. Maybe the lack of scans will entice them to join an alliance.

The (partly) randomisation of scans will not make scanners obsolete. At best they will get somewhat less requests.

I think pa crew has enough other matetrs that will make more difference. If you look at kals APPROVED feature suggestion list, they have enuf work to do :P
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 17:46   #36
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
how? blatant luck is the same a throwing a dice. Pure luck, no skill required. On the other hand, if there was a way to predict the outcome of a dice by the way you throw it, then skill would be required: throwing skill.
Wow, you really missed the irony there, didn't you?
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 21:25   #37
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

An interesting idea but I hate it simply because I hate scanners with a passion as they (in my opinion) have a detrimental affect on the game.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 22:03   #38
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
An interesting idea but I hate it simply because I hate scanners with a passion as they (in my opinion) have a detrimental affect on the game.
In what way are the detrimental ?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 08:51   #39
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Wow, you really missed the irony there, didn't you?
I wasn't sure :P So I decided to post a reply
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2005, 12:12   #40
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
I wasn't sure :P So I decided to post a reply
Sometimes it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than open your mouth and confirm the suspicion.