User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Sep 2007, 20:08   #1
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
The Amen Break.

This is probably only going to really be of interest to those into music like myself & specifically those into recording / sampling type stuff.

I find it particularly interesting being a drummer myself.

The Amen Break is probably one of the most famous sampled breaks. It was originally recorded in 1969 and is still largely used today. It's one of those standard licks you learn and have to be able to play as a professional drummer when asked too.

This narrative was recorded in 2004 and mentions the break being "glossed over" however even today in 2007 you can still hear it all over the place if you know what you're looking for or just listening really closely.

It goes quite in depth into the history of a lot aspects to do with breaks, sampling them and the music they were used in.

The video is about 18 minutes long & quite in depth on some of the historical aspects. I advise purely listening as there isn't much to watch.

Next time you're watching telly and the adverts come on, see if you can hear the Amen Break in action :-)

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2007, 20:27   #2
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amen Break.

It's like the musical world's equivalent of the Wilhelm scream

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2007, 20:28   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Amen Break.

drummers are just those poofs too weak to actually carry a sword