User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk

Unread 28 Sep 2005, 01:53   #1
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve
Rep

Can it be made to show who sent you the rep, or is it optionally anonymous for a reason
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 09:29   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Rep

I think it was made to be anonymous so people don't feel intimidated, especially when neg-repping others, incase all the other person did was find one of their posts and neg rep them back. This way obviously has disadvantages too
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 12:54   #3
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh I dont like the Rep system - in the Discussion and Suggestions forums yes its brilliant, in other places such as GD its just used for a bigger e-Penis
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 10:05   #4
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I think it was made to be anonymous so people don't feel intimidated, especially when neg-repping others, incase all the other person did was find one of their posts and neg rep them back. This way obviously has disadvantages too
But then again all mods get to see who "neg-reps" them.

What a just system we have.

MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 10:40   #5
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach
But then again all mods get to see who "neg-reps" them.

What a just system we have.

and tell all their "freinds" so whether it is anonymous or not depends on how many freinds the person you are repping has
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 10:56   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney
and tell all their "freinds" so whether it is anonymous or not depends on how many freinds the person you are repping has
All mods can see who reps them PERSONALLY. Only super moddy people can see that about anyone's account, and there's not nearly so many of them.
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 11:26   #7
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showgroups.php?

On the above list it is not only the super mods who can see other people's rep. Megla who is just a normal mod can, but indeed not all of them have this ability as I know Queball cannot.

Also, the super mods can in fact edit rep. Delete rep, give give, or take rep (unlimited amounts).
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 13:46   #8
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

i fail to understand why ANYONE would need those powers tbh ?
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 14:51   #9
MrPeach

Quote:
Well there are some users who abuse the reputation system. People constantly "neg rep" one person as often as they can for no good reason apart from the fact they don't like them. Mods need to be able to see this occuring, and be able to correct these situations.
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 15:18   #10
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well there are some users who abuse the reputation system. People constantly "neg rep" one person as often as they can for no good reason apart from the fact they don't like them. Mods need to be able to see this occuring, and be able to correct these situations.
as if they do tho

only way this can be done is if a certain person actually tells them it's happinin, way too many people are subscriped to this forum for mods to be able to check that all the time. It should just show who reps always and you avoid alot of annoying situations and cowards that just neg rep for no reason
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 15:25   #11
MrPeach

At the end of the day, both sides of this argument have possitives and negatives. There is no ideal solution.

And to be fair the entire system should be scrapped.

I don't want to go into a long rant about this, but the whole system is fundamentally flawed.
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 16:53   #12
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
as if they do tho

only way this can be done is if a certain person actually tells them it's happinin, way too many people are subscriped to this forum for mods to be able to check that all the time. It should just show who reps always and you avoid alot of annoying situations and cowards that just neg rep for no reason
Ironically, MrPeach was involved in a situation where someone was abusing the system and measures were taken. It was done because admins were asked who was neg repping etc.
So it does happen :-)
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 16:58   #13
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
If, in a completely hypothetical scenario, I were to deliver an entirely inappropriate and very personal statement, such as for example (still speaking hypothetically), "I know where you live and I'm going to kill you in your sleep, then repeatedly violate your corpse", it would be useful for a supermod or admin to be able to trace back who made the threat and see if I was just someone taking the piss or if you should run for you life.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 17:00   #14
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showgroups.php?

On the above list it is not only the super mods who can see other people's rep. Megla who is just a normal mod can, but indeed not all of them have this ability as I know Queball cannot.
Megla isnta normal mod, he has mpre power than us normal little mods. He eats Weetabix for breakfast, he is super powerful.
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 17:06   #15
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Megla isnta normal mod, he has mpre power than us normal little mods. He eats Weetabix for breakfast, he is super powerful.
Mod access is decided by breakfast cereal?
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 17:17   #16
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You dont want to know how JJ makes his decisions.
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 20:19   #17
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Ironically, MrPeach was involved in a situation where someone was abusing the system and measures were taken. It was done because admins were asked who was neg repping etc.
So it does happen :-)
point being hardly alot of people don't report anything i'm sure :P

and i doubt rep is meant just to be there, as it's just silly... but ohwell... only reason rep was ever implemented is that people would be more active on forums and repwh0re... so i guess that's working for admins
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 08:32   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So true!!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2005, 00:52   #19
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

As an addition to my post, can the system at least be changed to make sure a reason is given. I receieved a blank neg rep for this thread nothing specifically about that, just an example and i think it should be changed. Because when it says "Date time neg rep" it doesnt really help me improve my posts. Isnt that the point? Point out where someone has made a bad post and help them out by telling em how they can make better posts.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 07:50   #20
MEX

MEX will become famous soon enoughMEX will become famous soon enough

The badest idea on this boards was to link the personal avators to reputation (!)

Because of this everyone who wants a avatar in less than 1 year, or without spamming more than 1000 posts, is forced to abuse the reputation system ...

MfG, MEX
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 11:09   #21
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Let’s get a few things straight about what mods can and can’t do with rep.
  1. If you rep us we can see who you are, it’s somewhat unavoidable as its on the usercp.
  2. Mods with Supermod access can via the mod admin panel view who gave rep to a certain person. We see the name of the person and their comment but not if it was positive or negative
  3. Supermods can edit the comment given as a rep reason. This allows us to remove any comments that aren’t suitable
  4. We Can’t remove rep
  5. We don’t go handing out info on whom reped who. If someone complains we will look it up and deal with any problems between just ourselves and the person doing the repping

As for the whole is repping a good thing. On the whole it is however there’s certain groups of posters such as the GDers and some groups whom primarily post on AD who do damage to the system.

GDers have a habit of pos-repping anyone who is in the “in crowd” no matter what they post and “neg rep” those who arent no matter what they post. The other groups use it as a way for them not to have to put their view over on a thread while still being able to say “I disagree”. If you go and attack an alliance on AD for example your see what I mean. They aren’t commenting on your post quality but on the fact that they don’t agree. If these people were to use the rep system right and rate the quality of a persons post (a post you agree with can be done badly and need neg repped, one you agree with can be done well and deserve pos rep) rather than what their views are things would work fine but as it is a few ruin it for the majority of users. If you don’t agree then post and say so as that’s called debate and it’s the point of the forum and leave repping a way to guide people about who makes good posts and helping people improve their post quality
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 14:58   #22
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Rep is more of a popularity thing. If you made a good post or you are well liked you get POS rep. If you make a bad posts, are not well liked, show poor grammar and spelling, or make references to religeous ideology you will get neg rep. You can also incur neg rep by talking about an alliance.

I really like the neg reps that tell me to crawl off and die somewhere. Thats just too funny.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 15:48   #23
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

anonymous rep helps prevent childish rep wars ." oh someone neg repped me, lets find a random post of theirs to retaliate on" etc
Unread 18 Oct 2006, 17:42   #24
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i think most people know how rep is "meant" to be used. that doesn't mean that it's going to be used as such (evidently it hasn't been so far). maybe the mods should consider actually tring to change the system instead of occasionaly making posts alerting people how they'd "prefer" it to be used.
Perhaps if all you 'moaners' about rep gave us mods some support when we do try and make a stand against the 'abusers' then pehaps we would. As it is you just sit back and start joining in with the attacks for us doing so. After all why should the likes of myself have to put up with personal attacks from people in this community (and from members of pateam and the various other pa departments) when we attempt to try and seriously improve both posting and rep usage on the forums.

If you don't like the minority who damage the forum with their childish antics then get behind us otherwise dont start 'accusing' us of doing nothing to try and change the 'system'
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 17:51   #25
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

to be fair, JJ himself lurks in a dark corner nowadays - only coming out of his hideyhole on rare occasions
Plus he doesnt have the access needed on the server to do coding modifications like that iirc - jolt hasnt given it to him
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 18:26   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
to be fair, JJ himself lurks in a dark corner nowadays - only coming out of his hideyhole on rare occasions
Plus he doesnt have the access needed on the server to do coding modifications like that iirc - jolt hasnt given it to him
JJ has ftp access to all of the forums I believe.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 19:17   #27
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

This new rep thing is intresting. I know one of my post wasnt that great thats fine but the other. Hehe oh well not like it means anything really. What happens if you have good rep or bad rep? Will anything happen? Doesnt look like it. Seems to me that its there for no reason so far and just to bolster egos or have fun with.

Anyways wouldent have come acorss this thread if I didnt see the red stuff. Does make you take notice though. Has it improved posters habit? Only time will tell. How long has this rep thing been in place now?

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 19:29   #28
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
JJ has ftp access to all of the forums I believe.
He does. He comes online to tell us when its not working

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 16:28   #29
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

So I checked out my profile again and I am collecting all these red little markers. Dont I feel special and some of them have comments but they are no help whatsoever. Anyways is there some "official" way to request more info on why people are saying my posts suck in their opinion? Or do I jus go and hunt down a forum mod? Not like I really care but just curious to see whats going on.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 16:44   #30
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDrax
So I checked out my profile again and I am collecting all these red little markers. Dont I feel special and some of them have comments but they are no help whatsoever. Anyways is there some "official" way to request more info on why people are saying my posts suck in their opinion? Or do I jus go and hunt down a forum mod? Not like I really care but just curious to see whats going on.
Forum mods will look into cases where the rep comments are abuseful but they won't tell you who did it.

A quick tip though, moaning about neg reps in public almost certainly gets you more neg rep.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 16:45   #31
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Eerm... generally {note that word} neg reps occur if...

1: You post something that few agree with, bordering on silly/uninformed, without any logical backing of said point.
EG: "_______(alliance goes here) r cheatrs omgomg close em. I can't prove it, but they cheat!!!one!1one

2: spam
EG: you too can buy acme screen door for your very own submarine! only 5 low monthly payments of 99.99

3: Overly negative comments generally not contributing in any way, shape or form to the conversation, and is usually there only to make one's self feel superior
EG: Sovereign's mother was a hamster and his father smells of elderberries

4: Your first post on GD is a bad one
EG... err... lemme go find my first one o/

If you're really curious, post a link to my pm to one of your posts that got a fair chunk of red blobbage, and maybe I can help ya out.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 16:52   #32
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Forum mods will look into cases where the rep comments are abuseful but they won't tell you who did it.

A quick tip though, moaning about neg reps in public almost certainly gets you more neg rep.
No I am not moaning and I dont care what color the lights are under my nick. I am not that active on the forums and just browse them on occasion. Only reason I started posting on here was the lights switched from green to red and I was wondering what that was and did a search for reputation and came across this thread.

My 2nd post was because someone wrote "You are an idiot" on a rep and I am just curious how they reached that conclusion regarding my post. Actually I think I got 2 negative points for that post.

Well if they wont tell then no point in asking since I would like to get a clarification from the user as to why but whatever. A virtual reputation rating ranks pretty low on my scale and since it wont get my account locked or anything it really doesnt matter.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 16:55   #33
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
Eerm... generally {note that word} neg reps occur if...

1: You post something that few agree with, bordering on silly/uninformed, without any logical backing of said point.
EG: "_______(alliance goes here) r cheatrs omgomg close em. I can't prove it, but they cheat!!!one!1one
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...65#post3073365
That post would probably fall under there.

Quote:
If you're really curious, post a link to my pm to one of your posts that got a fair chunk of red blobbage, and maybe I can help ya out.
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...28#post3073928
Thats the post that I was specifically refering to and where someone said "You're an idiot".

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 17:06   #34
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Posting on GD should be done carefully.

As I know all too well

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 17:12   #35
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Posting on GD should be done carefully.

As I know all too well
hehe thats the impression i am getting. I remember it not being that bad a back in the day. But I guess with the rep thing going on now people are having some fun with it.

Is there really any point to the rep option besides for bragging rights for either pos or neg rep? Will there be any punishment or reward either way or is it just for users to have fun with? Did a search to see if there where other threads regarding this topic but couldnt find anything.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 17:23   #36
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeah... as marv says, GD is a dangerous place to post if you care about rep. Generally, with GD, try and post things with proper backing. The comments about dolphins/humans, while is somewhat relevant, is probably not in proper context (is that the right word?) with the entirety of the discussion.

What I mean is... probably woulda helped you a bit better if you commented on cultural/religious norms as apart to the private lives of dolphins for example

As for the other... Well, you made the mistake of hopping onto a subject that few in GD (if any) see as wrong thing to do...You went from "idiot finding religion" to "downloading media is wrong" ... probably not the wisest of all things to do
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 17:28   #37
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
As for the other... Well, you made the mistake of hopping onto a subject that few in GD (if any) see as wrong thing to do...You went from "idiot finding religion" to "downloading media is wrong" ... probably not the wisest of all things to do
Actually I didnt say downloading media is wrong, i just said that according to the current laws we have its against the law and commenting with respect to Nodrogs post stating that the majority of the people are commiting large scale theft. But maybe that was a bit too much for some people.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 15 Nov 2006, 17:31   #38
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

That, or someone decided it was irrelevant to the topic and didn't fit the profile. Tis quite possible you were a victim of a random act of rep from someone having a bad day =/

Either way, watch out for GD.
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 02:50   #39
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Indeed, GD is a very nasty place to be. I would add to Squidly's list of things not to post on GD;

1) Saying that Nuclear power should be based on economics, not on greenpeace propaganda
2) Saying that the Coalition should not pull out of Iraq even though 600000+ Iraqis have died.

Even i get about half my posts on GD as neg rep, but i tend to try and post sensible arguments and so on.

GD isnt the place to go if you're looking for friendly people - they tend to use the rep system differently to the "planetarion" section, insofar as they'll (typically anonymously) pos rep people they agree with, and neg rep those who they dont agree with. Also, because this happens alot on GD, lots of people have alot of rep-altering power, so it only takes 1 rep to significantly change you into the green/red. GD tends to also be harsh on new posters as well, which is very unfortunate for their community.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you persevere with on-topic, well backed up "less than controversial" topics if you're looking for pos rep on GD. Else, you can go to pretty much anywhere else on the forums (except AD perhaps, as they seem to follow a similar usage), and you'll find the rep system to be very supporting of good posts, logical thinking, creativity and all the other positive aspects too.

Enjoy .

Edit: btw, Squidleh knows far too much about my family . <3

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 16 Nov 2006 at 09:23.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 15:47   #40
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Naw, not looking to win a popularity contests and I dont care about this new rep thing. Was just wanting to know why someone stated I am an idiot. Has the reputation option improved the level of posting though? That would be something I wouldent mind knowing.

Est Sularus oth Mithas