User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 3 Aug 2008, 17:14   #1
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
New Horizons

So, what aspects would you guys like to see in new alliances entering Planetarion nowadays?

What is the current climate and what do you believe would bring a beneficial catalyst to the current environment?

Answers on a postcard

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2008, 17:26   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: New Horizons

I think small alliances that start small, and gradually build themselves up to be a force to be reckoned with is the best way to approach the game now. Don't expect to be an influence in the alliance politics the first one or two rounds, but build up a solid membership and see how far you can get.

These days you see so many boring "remakes" when alliances quit, the people just rename it to something else, but its contents is exactly the same.
Unread 3 Aug 2008, 17:29   #3
Alezzar
Bibliophile

Alezzar is infamous around these parts

Redemption is a good example of small ally, starting later.....till Reese got in.
r24-r26 Vengeance
r27-r29 - Ascendancy
r30 - r35 - New Dawn
r36 -r37 - Euphoria
r43 - r46 - New Dawn
r47 - r51 - Ultores
r67 - - New Dawn
Alezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2008, 17:55   #4
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alezzar View Post
Redemption is a good example of small ally, starting later.....till Reese got in.
Can you expand upon that?

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 3 Aug 2008, 20:20   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Seeing a new alliance that's not composed of the same old people would be a good start.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2008, 20:35   #6
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

Quote:
I joined eXi actually

Unread 3 Aug 2008, 22:27   #7
.Disc.

.Disc. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
I think small alliances that start small, and gradually build themselves up to be a force to be reckoned with is the best way to approach the game now. Don't expect to be an influence in the alliance politics the first one or two rounds, but build up a solid membership and see how far you can get.

These days you see so many boring "remakes" when alliances quit, the people just rename it to something else, but its contents is exactly the same.
Yes because ASS, HR, HA and F-Crew are all planning a top3 finish these days
.Disc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 00:35   #8
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

Quote:
And to answer seriously, for probably the first time ever... How is redemption an example of a small ally? It is the subh alliance with a new name, same people in charge. They have been around forever. They started small and have stayed that way. I was subh after I returned to PA in R22, and i see no difference now, 6 rounds later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Look at other alliances like ROCk/VGN/XVX they are all big alliances, who are also not capable of winning a round, and they don't seem bothered by this. Not every alliance has the same goals. Don't get me wrong either, they all have some great people in there, they are just happy to play a base of players who aren't too serious, and enjoy each others company.

In the current enviroment there are now only 3 alliances who actually play for the top spot. CT, ND, ASC. The second tier alliances (mentioned above) divide themselves up to support their ally of choice, and then you have the 3rd tier of alliances, HR/HA/ToF/ORBIT/Red/ASS/TGV. With a few less players, a bit less activity, but who support both the 2nd and 1st tier. And they seem quite happy with their roles. I have worked with or talked to most of these players, and they are all great, so don't take this as any sort of twisted insult, because it isnt. More going back to Zhil's post about the current climate.

There is no reason why any alliance who takes themselves seriously cannot, on their first round go for #1. Urwins managed top 3 both of its rounds, and Denial managed #2 then #1 in both its rounds. Being HC of both I can tell u we played for #1 from tick start in all rounds. We had many new players and some old ones. This has little to do with anything. The excuse "we have too many new/unskilled/whatever players" is just that, an excuse. If you want to be #1 then just do it. If you don't want to, thats fine too, just don't hide behind excuses.

Last edited by Reese; 4 Aug 2008 at 00:43.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 01:14   #9
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Disc. View Post
Yes because ASS, HR, HA and F-Crew are all planning a top3 finish these days
Ass have only been around for a few rounds. So you might not see anything from them yet, but maybe they will make a push for a top position, who knows.

I have to agree with Reese, I guess there are various tiers of alliances, but then, what tier an alliance is on from round to round is only dependant on themselves, and what they want to do with their alliance. But I still think that if I was a brand new hc, of a brand new alliance, gradually building my alliance, and my own expirience as a leader in PA, I would take babysteps. What Reese seem to be forgetting was that both Denial and Urwins had established players and communities growing into them.
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 01:24   #10
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Ass have only been around for a few rounds. So you might not see anything from them yet, but maybe they will make a push for a top position, who knows.

I have to agree with Reese, I guess there are various tiers of alliances, but then, what tier an alliance is on from round to round is only dependant on themselves, and what they want to do with their alliance. But I still think that if I was a brand new hc, of a brand new alliance, gradually building my alliance, and my own expirience as a leader in PA, I would take babysteps. What Reese seem to be forgetting was that both Denial and Urwins had established players and communities growing into them.
Did 1up have an established community going into r11?

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 01:34   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
How is redemption an example of a small ally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
They started small and have stayed that way.
Wut?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 01:46   #12
Reese
If not never; then once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Wut?
What i meant is.... They aren't an example of a small alliance gradually building.. or however kargool put it.... They have maintained the same level within the game round after round.. Not really building up, just keeping the status quo..
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 02:16   #13
Reese
If not never; then once.

Quote:
But I still think that if I was a brand new hc, of a brand new alliance, gradually building my alliance, and my own expirience as a leader in PA, I would take babysteps.
The thing with denial was every single player was given the opportunity to do well, and most did. With good plans laid out for the members, tools, good attacks, and caring HC every single planet can do well (notice i didn't list defense!)... What happens then? You become #1, whether that was you're goal or not. This was what happened to denial the first round, and thrust us immediately into war. The second round we tried to not be #1 for most of the round, and it didn't really work either. There is no such thing as baby steps, in my opinion, if you do well individually, you do well collectively. I can tell you many people joining both Urwins and Denial said comments such as "tick plans? haven't seen those since rXX.. Didn't know people still wrote those." Guess what, it works. Give ur people the opportunity to succeed and they will.

Quote:
What Reese seem to be forgetting was that both Denial and Urwins had established players and communities growing into them.
That may have been true TO AN EXTENT for the first round of Urwins (as they had played as a galaxy/loose BG a LONG time ago), but the recruiting was insane on the second round, and for both round of Denial. There was very little "established community" other then Mystic/Venox/Eksero/myself all recruiting friends (both from within PA and from other games) for Denial. The second round of Denial, after ROCK left, was really a mad scramble. We weren't even sure if we were going to be able to fill our tag early on, and we took on lots of new players.

Now, for example ROCK, when they reformed after their one round break had an established community to call back to the game. I think Hellkicker told me he emailed 400 previous ROCKers. Denial certainly didn't have anything like that to call upon, either round. Your own alliance TGV, will also have former TGV to call upon from many previous rounds.

Last edited by Reese; 4 Aug 2008 at 10:47.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 16:27   #14
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough

heh rofl tbh there are only 2 orginial hcs from subh and about 4 subh core members now in redemption. i hced subh for about half a round and 200 ticks of another. mPulse wasn't a full hc of subh. in essence now redemption is a new alliance with new people and is building up nicely. Also just to add Reese is not in redemption she thought we were crap and left
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 16:32   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l View Post
Yes.

Separately all alliances ever need is leadership you can believe in.
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 16:46   #16
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
they had sid leading, seasoned officers, players and new players that needed 3 vouches to get in.

Any alliance with this sort of stature is not in the NEW catagory, and any alliance like that should not be placed in it.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 18:40   #17
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I think small alliances that start small
Wouldn't really be small if it started big, would it?