User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 May 2004, 22:57   #1
bacon roll
with ketchup

bacon roll is an unknown quantity at this point
im going to post a cricket thread

I bet it gets flamed!

will England beat the kiwis does anyone care?
bacon roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 22:59   #2
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: im going to post a cricket thread

You're going to post a Cricket thread.

Then you're going to watch it die.

HA HA!
Unread 17 May 2004, 23:03   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

yesterday someone told me it's "wicket", not "widget".

at my hockeyclub they have a cricketclub aswell. when the hockeyseason is over the cricketers use the fields. kind of an impopular sport here and i don't understand it at all...(why is 50% of all players indian and why are they all in white??? you can never know who's in your team that way)
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 23:10   #4
bacon roll
with ketchup

I wont evan try to explain I will just confuse myself and look stupid which I usually do anyway.
Unread 17 May 2004, 23:29   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Lancs for the title .

Freddy <3
Unread 18 May 2004, 19:09   #6
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Freddy <3

I can't help but think it's unlikley you will see much of him for lancashire this year, mind you he may get dropped from the test squad at some point. But then who do you replace him with.
Unread 18 May 2004, 19:34   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon roll
I can't help but think it's unlikley you will see much of him for lancashire this year, mind you he may get dropped from the test squad at some point. But then who do you replace him with.
I'm not expecting to see much of him really, but we've got off to a good start without him and for now we have Jimmy Anderson as well.

If Freddy gets dropped from the test or 1 day team i'll streak at Old Trafford. There is no way we are going to drop our best bowler and our most explosive batter.
Unread 17 May 2004, 23:37   #8
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

the english team is better than some of those in the past, however i think they will have just come out of the west indies tour with over-exaggerated confidence. They beat a team that is frankly crap and disorganized (compared to past WI teams).

Nevertheless NZ on paper is not as potent as the English team, so unless they do something stupid England should win.

I'd consider NZ to be training for the real match that England will face late summer against India. England needs to improve a lot more unless it wants to face a major whipping by a far superior team that is currently second only to Australia.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 01:08   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

are you jewish by any chance bacon roll with ketchup
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 19:06   #10
bacon roll
with ketchup

lol no!
Unread 18 May 2004, 19:27   #11
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Use the [Cricket] tag! :(
Unread 18 May 2004, 19:33   #12
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
Use the [Cricket] tag!
I did write cricket in the title so I can fully understand how you ended up here by accident, I apologise.
Unread 18 May 2004, 22:30   #13
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I did write cricket in the title so I can fully understand how you ended up here by accident, I apologise.
Thanks. I was looking forward to a thread about the Gryllidae family.
Unread 18 May 2004, 22:40   #14
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
Thanks. I was looking forward to a thread about the Gryllidae family.
I've got to give it to you you came back with dignity and a splash of stlye
Unread 19 May 2004, 12:03   #15
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Glamorgan to go unbeaten in the one day league but fail miserably in the second division of the 4 day game, again.

As for England, I think they will win the test series but lose the oneday games. I would drop Hussain purely because of the fact he is too old and won't be around for the next world cup and find a way to bring in Collingwood and Strauss. They shouldalso give Simon Jones a bigger role, especially when the tailenders are in.

As for Flintoff, he has a nack of getting crucial wickets. He seems to be a much better one day bowler though as he can be extremely economical even if he doesn't pick up a great deal of wickets.
Unread 18 May 2004, 20:48   #16
bacon roll
with ketchup

Take a look at his test bowling average, granted he is actually a better bowler than this would suggest. Jimmy should get back in the side I think he just needs to bowl on a regular basis and his pace and confidence will come back. Oh and 1 more thing you might not see much of Law or his British passport, but then knowing the ECB I doubt it.
Unread 18 May 2004, 20:55   #17
JC
lolly roffle

Jimmy's probalem isnt his pace imo its more his consistancy. He can bowl some superb bowls but then will let himself down with a few wide ones that get knocked all over the place. Freddy on the other hand is a lot more likely to put 6 bowls on the spot everytime giving the batter very few easy runs. He also tends to be a bit unlucky with dropped catches, LBWs not given etc.

If Law doesnt play we've always got Hooper . He was awesome last year and is great to watch because of his comedy bowling style and his 'slog it at any opportunity' attitude when it comes to batting.
Unread 18 May 2004, 21:53   #18
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

use the [fag] tag

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 21:55   #19
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't follow cricket that much but from highlights of most series and one-days, I think England has a chance to win.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 22:37   #20
bacon roll
with ketchup

Your are right freddie is possibly the most unlucky bowler I can remember watching, but he still takes his test wickets at 42 a piece which is a little on the high side considering he' won 33 caps. I don' t know about anderson he was bowling up around 90 a year ago and swinging it late. He was though bowiling much more consistantly but if you watch him bowl now his action has changed slightly, possilbly after he was pulled up for running on the wicket last year. Carl hooper not much to say quality player wil score a lot of runs again and take a good few wickets, never seemed to really play at his best for the windies though shame really!
Unread 19 May 2004, 12:12   #21
JC
lolly roffle

http://www.mousebreaker.net/game15.shtml

Fun cricket game for everyone to play .

I get stuck against New Zealand, they have a bastard slow bowler who makes my batters edge it all the time .
Unread 19 May 2004, 13:21   #22
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://www.npower.com/yourhome/welco...e/?cricketgame

is quite good as well
Unread 19 May 2004, 14:32   #23
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
[url]I get stuck against New Zealand, they have a bastard slow bowler who makes my batters edge it all the time .
They keep hitting my players on the head and they fall on their wicket

just managed 4 in one over heh.
Unread 19 May 2004, 14:37   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: im going to post a cricket thread

They'll hit a sticky wicket at four hundred over twelve and a half, before breaking for the male menopause, or tea, whichever comes first.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 14:54   #25
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
They keep hitting my players on the head and they fall on their wicket

just managed 4 in one over heh.
Yeah thats annoying. The hook/pull shot is the only way to protect against it, but then i end up playing that and the ball stays low so i get bowled out instead of having my head knocked off .
Unread 19 May 2004, 19:33   #26
bacon roll
with ketchup

Wow this threads not died. Yet!
Unread 19 May 2004, 22:50   #27
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

it is fun to play (without those damn complex rules).

boring to watch tho

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 22:51   #28
JC
lolly roffle

One day matches are more fun to watch and the 20/20 format is .
Unread 19 May 2004, 22:53   #29
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

but what do you understand with "one day"? 24 hours?!

Unread 19 May 2004, 22:57   #30
JC
lolly roffle

A one day is 50 (or 40 sometimes) overs per team, after 50 over the teams switch round no matter whether all of the batting team were out or not. So the whole game is finished in 1 day rather than taking upto 5 days as in a test match were there isnt a limit on the number of overs.

20/20 is pretty much the same as a 1 day match but with the over limit reduced to 20, which makes for a much faster and more exciting game were batters play attackingly to get a high score as quickly as possible.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:02   #31
bacon roll
with ketchup

damn that game is addictive have you found out how to score runs of the spinners, who turn it square in both directions.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:06   #32
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
damn that game is addictive have you found out how to score runs of the spinners, who turn it square in both directions.
I just sit at my PC and shout '**** off, thats impossible to hit' .
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:03   #33
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

guess why i used the word hour instead of "overs"

but anyway, thanks for the information

Unread 19 May 2004, 23:29   #34
bacon roll
with ketchup

damn i thought it was just me
Unread 20 May 2004, 00:10   #35
midge5
mmm lambs

Spinners are easy as long as you don't swing too soon. If it starts on the left then play right, if it turns or not timed righy you will get a 4 on the right hand side.

If it starts on the right then hit it on the left, if you mistime and it goes straight on you may hit it into your stumpts, generally you will be okay though.

If it starts in the middle it will never turn right so I will normally try hitting it to the left. However, if it is just a slow bowler not a spinner bowling down the middle then hit straight or you are likely to give a catch to the keeper.

For fast bowlers just hit left when it is in the centre(though vary it here with hitting straight and you can get quite a lot of 6s) or left and right all other times. Watch out for the inswinger though from the right hand side, bowled me quite a few times.

I just beat the Aussies with 216 after 9 overs, Vaughan scored 138 with a strike rate of over 500
Unread 20 May 2004, 18:36   #36
bacon roll
with ketchup

Phew at the start there I thought they were going to score about 600 hopefully we'll bowl them out for 350 ish.
Unread 20 May 2004, 18:44   #37
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it's ruining my revision

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 19:40   #38
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
it's ruining my revision
Same

Was a good days play though, one of Jones' best performances so far. If we can get rid of Oram early on tomorrow morning then we could bowl them out for around 360 which would be quite good. If they score more than 400 though which is easily possible I think we could be in a bit of trouble.
Unread 21 May 2004, 21:02   #39
bacon roll
with ketchup

Wow today was somewhat unexpectedly good. Strauss apperars to be the saviour of english cricket, or at least that will be the opinion of Ian bothaM when I watch the highlights in a minute.
Unread 22 May 2004, 00:55   #40
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

I hope you're all just pretending to be unknowledgable twats on cricket :\ [apart from JC ofc <3]
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2004, 09:57   #41
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
[apart from JC ofc <3]
Dont diss my new friends Newt.

<3
Unread 22 May 2004, 11:50   #42
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

awww I'm sorry that midge5 chappie your friend??? he's definitely excluded from the comment if that makes you feel any happier?

As for bacon roll, I hope you burn in hell for insinuating freddie should even be considered to be dropped. Good god man! He's averaging what? 26/27/28 with the bat now? compared to just 18 or whatever it was this time last year. Do the maths, infact I'll do it for you - it means he's averaging over 40 in the last year of international test cricket (against South Africa where he won player of the series? damn can't remember but think he did, averaged over 50 with the bat against a quality test nation). And you think he should be even considered to be dropped?!? Would be like dropping Butcher because he's only averaging 36 or whatever it is - neglecting the fact he's the most inform consistant english batsman of the past few years.

Back to freddie though, he should be in the side as a batsman alone, nevermind his bloody bowling, for which its no surprise that you're always hearing commentators chirping away with "freddie's been the pick of the english bowlers today" and his unbelievably shite bad luck
Unread 22 May 2004, 13:01   #43
bacon roll
with ketchup

Bacon's test side

Vaughan(nuf said)
Trescothick (goes in and out of form his feet are set in cement but somehow he still scores lots of runs)
Law (because he wil add quality to the side also think younger players will beniefit form his knowledge)
Strauss(they cant drop him now can they should have been give a go a long time ago)
Thorpe(exellent middle order player, will play a few years yet)
Butcher(he has had a good few years aside from freddie and maybe vaughan the best player to watch)
Flintoff(I WOULDN'T DROP HIM BUT I THINK OUR SHORT SIGHTED SELECTORS MIGHT rubbish would never play test cricket as a batsman on the few occasions he has not been able to bowl he has batted poorly)
G.Jones(have been saying all winter Read should be dropped finally the selectors caght up)
S.JOnes(simple I rate him)
Harmison(you can't really drop him at the moment scares batsmen)
Giles (no english spinner deserves a place in our test side but you need variety
Anderson(he is a better bowler than Hoggard just needs confidence)

Thats it tear me to pieces these are my views and I dont care!
Unread 22 May 2004, 21:38   #44
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bacon's test side

Vaughan(nuf said)
Trescothick (goes in and out of form his feet are set in cement but somehow he still scores lots of runs)
Law (because he wil add quality to the side also think younger players will beniefit form his knowledge)
Strauss(they cant drop him now can they should have been give a go a long time ago)
Thorpe(exellent middle order player, will play a few years yet)
Butcher(he has had a good few years aside from freddie and maybe vaughan the best player to watch)
Flintoff(I WOULDN'T DROP HIM BUT I THINK OUR SHORT SIGHTED SELECTORS MIGHT rubbish would never play test cricket as a batsman on the few occasions he has not been able to bowl he has batted poorly)
G.Jones(have been saying all winter Read should be dropped finally the selectors caght up)
S.JOnes(simple I rate him)
Harmison(you can't really drop him at the moment scares batsmen)
Giles (no english spinner deserves a place in our test side but you need variety
Anderson(he is a better bowler than Hoggard just needs confidence)

Thats it tear me to pieces these are my views and I dont care!
I wouldn't play Law as he's too old, he's what 36 now?

Also on most of the pitches in England you don't need a spinner, and if you do i'd pick Min Patel as he's come back from injury and has had an awesome season to date, including picking up a 5 for against the Kiwis last week, or Tredwell of Kent, or even Batty of Worcestershire ahead of Giles. Geraint Jones ahead of Reid, also i've played against him in the Kent League which always helps my viewpoint, same team as Tredwell and Ferley who's a young up and coming spinner too.

The call between Anderson and Hoggard is too hard to call, Anderson's been playing County Cricket whereas Hoggard hasn't, so for now i'd give Hoggard the call up as he did alright in the Caribbean which is far from swing friendly!!

You've also got 12 players in that side Law is a good player but he shouldn't play for England. Just think come September you've got Pietersen of Notts elegible to play for England.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2004, 13:04   #45
JC
lolly roffle

We could do with 12 players against Australia .
Unread 22 May 2004, 13:19   #46
newt
Banned

Freddie has batted poorly? tbh, one thing about freddie is you hardly EVER see him play and miss. Not a massive thing, but nicely reassuring to watch. He looks a very stable comfortable batsman ... I mean dear god, do you actually watch cricket??

Our short sighted selectors? I think you're still stuck in the 90s? there is less than 0 chance freddie will get dropped. He didn't (for any period of time) when he was under performing years back, so he certainly won't now! I mean dear me, he averaged over 50 against both the west indies and South africa with the bat (and prolly the ball too, harhar).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his last 25 innings against top nations he's averaging 50? ... not many sides a batsman wouldn't get into with that average. You really don't know what you're talking about if you seriously think the short sighted selectors would ever drop him on current form :\

The rest of your side is good. Except butcher at #6, you're havign a laugh?!?! Hussain should definitely go though keeping him in the side is jsut pointless. And I would also play hoggard instead of Anderson for the time being. Anderson needs time to improve, but at the same time to be given a lot of support by the english management. Don't want him getting all upset about not playing and dithering away into the wilderness I also think thorpe MUST come in at #4 and flintoff at #5. No point having one of your best batsmen playing so low down unless theres a tailend to stick around like for gilchrist and australia. Its depressing the number of times flintoff has jsut run out of batting partners god, jsut think how high his average would have been against south africa ...
Unread 23 May 2004, 01:13   #47
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
Freddie has batted poorly? tbh, one thing about freddie is you hardly EVER see him play and miss. Not a massive thing, but nicely reassuring to watch. He looks a very stable comfortable batsman ... I mean dear god, do you actually watch cricket??

Our short sighted selectors? I think you're still stuck in the 90s? there is less than 0 chance freddie will get dropped. He didn't (for any period of time) when he was under performing years back, so he certainly won't now! I mean dear me, he averaged over 50 against both the west indies and South africa with the bat (and prolly the ball too, harhar).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his last 25 innings against top nations he's averaging 50? ... not many sides a batsman wouldn't get into with that average. You really don't know what you're talking about if you seriously think the short sighted selectors would ever drop him on current form :\

The rest of your side is good. Except butcher at #6, you're havign a laugh?!?! Hussain should definitely go though keeping him in the side is jsut pointless. And I would also play hoggard instead of Anderson for the time being. Anderson needs time to improve, but at the same time to be given a lot of support by the english management. Don't want him getting all upset about not playing and dithering away into the wilderness I also think thorpe MUST come in at #4 and flintoff at #5. No point having one of your best batsmen playing so low down unless theres a tailend to stick around like for gilchrist and australia. Its depressing the number of times flintoff has jsut run out of batting partners god, jsut think how high his average would have been against south africa ...
Freddie vs the Aussies next year if he averages over 25 with the bat I will change my mind evan if he averages 50 with the ball as this will prolly make the best player in the side. However I suspect his technique along with others wil be found out. Yes I do watch cricket, I may have contraversial views but as I said I dont care!

Oh yeah does anyone know how old flower is as I am pretty sure he is qualified to play for us aswell?
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:03   #48
newt
Banned

Quote:
Freddie vs the Aussies next year if he averages over 25 with the bat I will change my mind evan if he averages 50 with the ball as this will prolly make the best player in the side. However I suspect his technique along with others wil be found out. Yes I do watch cricket, I may have contraversial views but as I said I dont care!
I think Freddie's bowling will be punished a fair bit by the aussies (unless he improves in the meantime of course) - but his batting I do honestly believe is very good. At the moment (or the last time I checked) South Africa were the #2 side in the world, and Freddie averaged 52 against them, and would have been a lot higher had we a decent tail-end. Of course you could argue that then Freddie would have played more conservatively and possibly got out, or maybe a butterfly would have flapped its wings in Japan and caused a hurricane, and so on.

I also went to watch a fair bit of that series and India the year before, and I know its a lame point that shouldn't affect his place in the side - but the crowd does LOVE him. Huge buzz when he comes in, or hits a boundary, etc (yes a lot more so than any other player). Always songs about Freddie being echoed around the ground. I wouldn't be surprised to know that Freddie merchandise sells far more than any other player, maybe the rest of the team combined.

That together with being a very decent batsman and bowler in most professionals' eyes will quite frankly mean he will never ever get dropped (unless he goes maybe 2years out of form).

Its fair enough to say that you would drop him if you were running England (though I'd still reply flaming you) - but to say you wouldn't be surprised if the england selectors would is just complete and utter shite. In the 90s if freddie had a bad series, maybe - Like Trescothick would have been long gone by now - but the current selectors, as they have been for 4yrs now? (time flies) - are 'ace'!

Also, the last time England toured India/Pakistan - which is usually considered a fair test of how good your bowling is, Freddie was not only the pick of the English bowlers, he was fkin good.

Anyway, sorry for going on. Have a mate who dislikes freddie and was always dissing him when every expert in the country was saying he's the next Ian Botham (bullshit his bowling will never be that good) ... so arguing about freddie has more or less become 2nd nature to me over the years
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:58   #49
bacon roll
with ketchup

Quote:
I think Freddie's bowling will be punished a fair bit by the aussies (unless he improves in the meantime of course) - but his batting I do honestly believe is very good. At the moment (or the last time I checked) South Africa were the #2 side in the world, and Freddie averaged 52 against them, and would have been a lot higher had we a decent tail-end. Of course you could argue that then Freddie would have played more conservatively and possibly got out, or maybe a butterfly would have flapped its wings in Japan and caused a hurricane, and so on.
Pollock is past his best and ntini is not that great they are only good as they have a superb batting line up but as we all know evan they are not close to the aussies an they lack a top class spinner. Although freddie has improved a lot against spin. I am still not sure abou the selectors, the Australian selectors forced Mark Waugh to retire wihle he was still good but our selectors do not have the balls to drop Nasser as it might affect the side in the short term. I am not goin to bang on about Freddie as I would not drop him he does frustrate me with his bowling though as he should be a better bowler than Botham. By the way I do think he is one of the best 1 day players in the world.
Unread 22 May 2004, 13:57   #50
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well England have now got a 1st innings lead - which definately wasn't certain when Freddie came into bat!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote