User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:33   #1
Hanselaban

Hanselaban is an unknown quantity at this point
Defence capacity

I want to join a new alliance. The criteria I'm putting most weight in, is how good they are at providing defence. Like all alliances can arrange attacks now and then, but i doubt everyone can cover if someone gets a few waves of incomings in the middle of the night.

I want to hear what you folks think about this matter; what alliance is best when it comes to defence?
Hanselaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:34   #2
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Re: Defence capacity

For someone of your AD posting quality, I'd suggest you look at someone like Coven or SWARM. I'm sure you'd meet their minimum score requirements if you concentrate for a few days.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:34   #3
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

i expect from my ally to sexually enjoy me on IRC too, not only to def me.
but when u are only after def: well, the top5 allies are all good at deffing. i doubt that there are big differences between them.
Almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:36   #4
Hanselaban

guess its hopeless to post stuff at forums.. everyone thinks I'm an inactive n00b fs!
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:39   #5
Hanselaban

just hypothetical: suppose I was good enough to get in any ally in top5, which would I go for if I wanted the ally whose best at defending
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 22:41   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

1up has been very, very good to me defense-wise.

I like the fact you get what you give, as compared to giving priority based purely on who has the most roids.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:00   #7
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

The best defence alliance is probably the one who attacks the least :-)
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:02   #8
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Very soon ND will be the best by far. Once we've got all the legal wrangling sorted out and [NADS] (The NewDawn Alliance Defence System) ends up with all the babies made from his 'relationships' with PM4DEF and Jeeves, we shall have a limitless army of botlet defenders.

RAWR!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:37   #9
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

hmm NADS.. EADS... only difference being EADS is Elysium Arbitor & Defence System

but tbh EADS was and still is the best defence tool around Anyone who has seen it will admit to that I'm sure

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:42   #10
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
hmm NADS.. EADS... only difference being EADS is Elysium Arbitor & Defence System

but tbh EADS was and still is the best defence tool around Anyone who has seen it will admit to that I'm sure
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:51   #11
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselaban
I want to join a new alliance. The criteria I'm putting most weight in, is how good they are at providing defence. Like all alliances can arrange attacks now and then, but i doubt everyone can cover if someone gets a few waves of incomings in the middle of the night.

I want to hear what you folks think about this matter; what alliance is best when it comes to defence?
There is no "best" alliance for defence. It's a complicated mixture of amount of incoming, players active at peak times, most effective use of available fleets and so on.

Or the quick answer is the alliance who only gets 1 incoming fleet per night

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 00:54   #12
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

providing defence however has nothing to do with the tools. The tools infact have no impact on the efficiency of defence if your pple aren't active and dedicated or willing to offer defence. A tool after all is just that, a tool to be used to make things easier. But there it really ends.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:07   #13
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
providing defence however has nothing to do with the tools. The tools infact have no impact on the efficiency of defence if your pple aren't active and dedicated or willing to offer defence. A tool after all is just that, a tool to be used to make things easier. But there it really ends.
But having means to make the job simpler at peak times is part and parcel of effective use of the time you have to cover calls. Of course I know if the ships aren't available then it makes little difference, but when you have an hour to maybe cover multiple multi fleet class calls every second saved can help.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:14   #14
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
1up has been very, very good to me defense-wise.

I like the fact you get what you give, as compared to giving priority based purely on who has the most roids.
Of course they would be good to you, they dont wanna upset one of their publicity p3ons;P

The get what you give is nothing new to PA, afaik most top allies use systems based around this ideology for some time, HR has since R9 at least.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:15   #15
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I didn't like EADS, was a bit of a pain tbh.

NADS is also cooler, as 'nads' is another term for 'balls'
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:18   #16
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
But having means to make the job simpler at peak times is part and parcel of effective use of the time you have to cover calls. Of course I know if the ships aren't available then it makes little difference, but when you have an hour to maybe cover multiple multi fleet class calls every second saved can help.
yes but if there's no dedication and willingness of the members then even the best tool is inefficient.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:19   #17
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
yes but if there's no dedication and willingness of the members then even the best tool is inefficient.
I'm pretty sure I said something very similar to that in the post you quoted

Quote:
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:38   #18
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
The best defence alliance is probably the one who attacks the least :-)
I disagree. I need to attack to increase my resources -> ship count -> suitable forces to defend my alliance.

Basically, am I providing marginally adequate defense with four ships or four hundred?
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:46   #19
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

you can`t scale alliance`s defensive capabilities without putting a part in yourself or being versatile enough to adjust their style of prioritization. Some alliances want to keep top planets in their possession therefore give them high priority in defence, others value strict teamplay thus, you have to defend a lot to be able to be enough of a priority to receive defence. However ofcourse, it may just be that your alliance is just inactive and cannot defend you regardless of your activity and contribution heh. Although, I don`t really think any alliance in the top5 or 10 is really that bad that they don`t have night-active members, or atleast that`s what my own experience has been whilst attacking various alliances during the past 2 rounds. Ofcourse though, in some cases certain alliances give up hope or turn into a disorganized mess so you can`t expect much from them anyway. But those sorts of alliances aren`t exactly difficult to distinguish therefore, more or less any "top" alliance should provide you with def, assuming you fit into their criteria of receiving defence in terms of priority.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 02:15   #20
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbieRogue4
I disagree. I need to attack to increase my resources -> ship count -> suitable forces to defend my alliance.

Basically, am I providing marginally adequate defense with four ships or four hundred?
It was meant as a joke with mot much rooth in reality! :-)

But there are many examples on alliances that has been considered good on defence and bad on attack overall, but its members do/did of course attack in bg`s and the like to compensate.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 02:57   #21
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Back off-topic: VGN's ACIS (Alliance Coordination and Information System) is the best!

nn all
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 14:47   #22
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I agree
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 15:28   #23
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_K
I agree

Hi Psi

Stop hiding

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 15:57   #24
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
NADS is also cooler, as 'nads' is another term for 'balls'

As usual, fish is right.

Balls > You.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 18:40   #25
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Of course they would be good to you, they dont wanna upset one of their publicity p3ons;P

The get what you give is nothing new to PA, afaik most top allies use systems based around this ideology for some time, HR has since R9 at least.

Actually I get defense because I've been in top few defenders all round (should be 1st atm in fact), nothing more. What I say here is my own (biased) opinion, and is most certainly not sanctioned by 1up command. I'm sure they rather me shut my mouth, but that's the beauty of being a free thinking individual.

Also, I never said it was a new system, or that we pioneered it. Simply that I find it to be the most fair.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 10:53   #26
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

EADS was the greatest

Long Live Elysium!!

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 13:19   #27
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselaban
guess its hopeless to post stuff at forums.. everyone thinks I'm an inactive n00b fs!
Its just that your opening post wasn't very professional sounding :P

AR (Alliance recruitement) is the section you want to be. A lot of alliances post their stuff there.

And isn't EADS Elysium & Allies Defense System originally? (And yes it rox)
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 13:47   #28
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hi Psi

Stop hiding
You know exactly where I am
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 16:01   #29
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:

I agree from a coding point of view it is by far the best, however, I do not like it much myself as it seems to me to be going too far away from interaction with alliance-mates. It just all seems far too impersonal to me.

That is purely a matter of my preference, but from that preference, to me, it is not the best around. I can see why so many people think of it as the best though, and there is no doubt that, if you want to look at tool capabilities, then EADS has no competitor.
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 16:04   #30
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
1up uses it to a much greater degree than I have seen happen in any other alliance. It is based almost purely on defence points. If the system was used by LCH to the same strict degree, then their top planets would not recieve defence at all (NOTE: this is not here as a criticism, just as a simple fact).
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 16:09   #31
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
Its And isn't EADS Elysium & Allies Defense System originally? (And yes it rox)
Elysium & Allies Defence System
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 18:25   #32
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
don't be so sure of yourself there, DCing for u guys in Pia i must say eads seemd inadquate and still needs more fine tuning.

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 18:28   #33
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:

totaly agree, as i have BC'ed before best with the worst tools. It all in the people that you are trying to get ships from.

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote